Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Temp Clerical Officers in Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

The money is so crap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

smyths wrote: »
    The money is so crap

It's nearly 200 a week more than the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

It's definitely better than the dole but money isn't great at all. My boyfriend's a clerical officer on €485 before tax, after tax he gets €398 per week so I doubt the wage will be much more than €300 pw after tax

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LuckyMe63

It's a job, it gets you out of the house, gets you more money than the dole... I don't understand what you're complaining about.

to the poster - thanks you for letting us know about these oppurtunities

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Thanks for psoting this OP, I applied for this last year and got a job. I finish up in May so this starts perfectly for myself. While the money isn't amazing it's much better than the dole and it really helped me with my depression that was made worse by being unemployed for so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

Thanks op for posting this! Whenever I check that site there's never anything I can apply for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I got this through last night, so downloaded and completed the questionnaire this morning.

I'll keep you all posted on how I get on if you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

So to those who think the money is crap, this kinda contradicts the general theme in this country that the PS is way overpaid. Either that or the welfare is way over paid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

That questionairre is such a load of bull****, really sums up bureaucracy. Anyone who gives a truthful account of their own abilities will not get this job. Those (Like me) who lie and say they are the best at everything will automatically rank higher. Sums up everything that is retarded and pathetic about this country.

I got in on this before, its a complete gravy train. Good luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

definately not doing this questionnaire alone this time. have been unsuccessful twice, despite getting the job through the local employment service in 2009.

any tips on it? i don't think it is as simple as it looks.

• Advertisement

McSween wrote: »
    definately not doing this questionnaire alone this time. have been unsuccessful twice, despite getting the job through the local employment service in 2009.

any tips on it? i don't think it is as simple as it looks.

There are a few tricks in it. Basically read every question and give yourself the optimum ability possible. Throw in a few less enthusiastic endorsements (Instead of 'better than most' say 'slightly better than most', for example) You will be asked about it in the interview so just say 'Its hard to praise myself in person, easy to do it on the internet'. You'll be fine.

The important thing is to lie and to not be modest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

smyths wrote: »
    The money is so crap

It's 10% less than it was last year, in line with govt policy to lower the pay of all new PS new entrants by 10%.

How much anyone gets depends on their tax credits and how much else they've earned this year. But last year, it was roughly 420 pw, and I was taking home approx 380, so would expect to be taking home approx 340 this year. And you get the pension levy (last year was about 200 from 13 weeks work) back at the end too.

In fairness, this year's rate is about the same as I'm getting for a private sector temping role at the moment - and the private sector role has a truckload more stress, responsibility, and challenging customers to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

So to those who think the money is crap, this kinda contradicts the general theme in this country that the PS is way overpaid. Either that or the welfare is way over paid.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Can you apply more than once in the sense that i would be willing to work in a number of the locations?? I live in Leixlip, so could easily work in Dublin and Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

df1985 wrote: »
    Can you apply more than once in the sense that i would be willing to work in a number of the locations?? I live in Leixlip, so could easily work in Dublin and Kildare.

once only i suspect. been registered on there a few years but i am sure my pps number is part of my registration. otherwise you could set up many accounts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

You can only apply for the one area. The only other area you can apply for along with your 1st preference is swords.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Oh and ty OP for posting. I would have missed it otherwise, I checked the site there other day and only do so every other week or so when I think of it. So big thank you.

To be quite fair the pay is not crap if you have been on the dole.

The pay is flipping fantastic, hope to God I get it. 350 per week after tax will translate into 100 per week straight into the credit union, 65 per week paying off bills, and the rest is to go on drink, drugs and prostitutes. Nice. I live out in the bogs so rent is like 5 pence a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Ive done this a couple of summers when i was in college. Wont be apply this year as i have a job. Easy enough job, flexitime is great and it is something to stick on cv. If you get past the appication form your in as the interviews are handy. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Phantasos

Okay am I completely blind or something? Where's the link to the questionnaire? I don't see any. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Anyone got any advice for the questionare on this? Missed out on it last year and will be gutted to do so again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

Denerick wrote: »
    The pay is flipping fantastic, hope to God I get it. 350 per week after tax will translate into 100 per week straight into the credit union, 65 per week paying off bills, and the rest is to go on drink, drugs and prostitutes. Nice. I live out in the bogs so rent is like 5 pence a month.

Yeah staying on the dole is much better and has way more perks let all those fools out working pay for me to wait for the perfect job to come about.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Phantasos wrote: »
    Okay am I completely blind or something? Where's the link to the questionnaire? I don't see any. :/
    www.publicjobsdata.com/tco2011/
    It's at the bottom of the information booklet.
    siblers wrote: »
    Anyone got any advice for the questionare on this? Missed out on it last year and will be gutted to do so again.
    Lie. Basically say you're fantastic at everything and enjoy everything (I love photocopying :rolleyes:). Also I think that putting "Not important" for certain qurestions (variety of work, out and about rather than deskbound) could give you an edge.
    Worked as a TCO in 2008 and last year and enjoyed it both times. Both times I worked in Justice and both times it was pretty fun and interesting work. However I've heard of people getting mind numbingly boring positions for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Cheers. Would take anything really. Only been on the dole a week but it's a week too many/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Anyone who's not going to apply because they are already in temporary employment, apply anyway and state your availability at interview.

I am a TCO in the CSO at the moment and my contract ends early next year. Even though I have a year left, I am already worrying about how I will pay rent, bills etc then. I rang PAS and asked would I be allowed to apply and they said definitely as long as I am upfront and honest at interview with my availability and keep them posted on my availability, you can remain on the panel.

With the current economic climate, they might not hold another competition like this for a few years (the PAS lady said) so this panel might stay open for 3 years (they usually stay open 1 year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Extract from job information:

Hours of Attendance
    Hours of Attendance are as fixed from time to time but will amount to not less than 41 hours per week.

Is this a typo?

TOMP wrote: »

Hours of Attendance
    Hours of Attendance are as fixed from time to time but will amount to not less than 41 hours per week.

Is this a typo?

Its a weird one alright. Last time I worked there 35 was the norm. 37.5 per week on the flexi system earned you a day and halfs leave per month, so most people worked 37.5 hours. You wouldn't believe the amount of fraud went on with that clocking machine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Hours of Attendance

Is this a typo?
    Technically its 41 hrs per week, but your actual working time is 35 hrs.

The 41 hrs comes from the traditional working day where flexi is not in operation. 9.15 to 5.30 Mon-Thur, and 9.15 to 5.15 on Fri

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Hours of Attendance

Is this a typo?

Working in the CSO as a TCO and your daily hours of work are 7 hours. You have to take a min of 30 mins for lunch (most only take the 30mins), making your day 7 and a half hours long. You can work more than this and build up flexi time. You can build up a maximum of 11.30 hours (10.30 hours being an extra day and a half off). So if you come in at 8 and go at 4 every day you have built up 10 hours over the 4 weeks, so do an extra half hour the other day, and you have an extra day and a half off in the following month. Not all government departments operate a flexi system. Some do shift work, for example the department of justice, or other public offices. If you live near swords, pick the swords option, as that is for the CSO in swords.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

Would love to get one of these jobs. Applied last year, but didnt get accepted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement