Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

roofbox & surfboard

• 04-07-2014 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Anyone tried sitting a roofbox and longboard on a roofrack? I'm thinking of buying a roofbox (a narrow one) but wondering if any fellow surfers have managed this?

The roofrack is standard enough. Sits on a passat estate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Bring the board to the motor factors and see how you get on it might be possible to only way to see is by bringing the board

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

I know. Just wondering if anyone here managed it and which box they used.

Anyone? Seems the only option is the thule pacific 500 but these are discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Just back from road trip to France with my board. Travelled with wife and kids, so vehicle was well packed. Seriously considered getting a half box while there as I saw quite a few instances of half box and surfboard on the roof of other vehicles.

Still, as noted above, the to success will be seeing if your situation allows for it, the only way will be to get the board, the vehicle, the roof bars and the roof box together. You could take the risk of leaving the board out of the equation, but you still need to actually fit the roof box and then see how much room you have left. Remember, getting the straps on is now going to be much more difficult. . . . .

I am still looking into it myself though!

Just back from road trip to France with my board. Travelled with wife and kids, so vehicle was well packed. Seriously considered getting a half box while there as I saw quite a few instances of half box and surfboard on the roof of other vehicles.

Still, as noted above, the to success will be seeing if your situation allows for it, the only way will be to get the board, the vehicle, the roof bars and the roof box together. You could take the risk of leaving the board out of the equation, but you still need to actually fit the roof box and then see how much room you have left. Remember, getting the straps on is now going to be much more difficult. . . . .

I am still looking into it myself though!

Thanks for that. Yup, has to be tried out. We'll keep each other posted. Shame the thule pacific 500 doesn't seem to be available here to just try out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Just seeing this post now, can't believe I missed it as I was heading off on a trip with the exact same issues. Surf board, kites (for kitesurfing) kids toys and the usual stuff needed for a family car holiday.

I have a large estate car and looked in to half width roof boxes and upright's to fit the boards (longboard, minimal and SUP).

The roofboxes were fairly pricey, even second hand, so I ditched the minimal and the SUP and put the longboard on the roof. I got the minimal board bag and stuffed it with my kites, then I got our wetsuits, towels, robies, stuff for the dog, kids toys, etc... and packed them in to a drybag and jammed them in to the boardbag and zipped it closed. Then I put it on top of the longboard (on the roof rack) and strapped it all down carefully. The board bag had a front loop, I used a short strap to secure it against getting lifted with the wind. Worked out perfect and surprisingly, didn't really affect my petrol consumption.

So, basically... long board on the roof.

Board bag full of stuff on top of the long board properly strapped down making sure the nose of the board bag is securely strapped down.

Advertisement