Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[BPB]Boards Photobook 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

Cork_girl wrote: »

In terms of exhibition on the night - there was a suggestion to have prints done of the images in the book and that would need to be organised from a point of view of physical prints/hanging/mounting etc. IF it was to go ahead.. they could then be sold on the night with a portion going to the Charity.. just a thought.

Any other suggestions? :D

...not sure how good of an idea this is but would it be worth it to actually set up a website/fb or something like that allowing people (be it from boards or general public) to bid on the prints? Or would that be too much hassle? We could display the prints on the launch night and only hand them over afterwards; any 'unsold' ones could be for sale on the night?

If I'm overthinking the whole thing, please, feel free to shoot the idea down... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

...not sure how good of an idea this is but would it be worth it to actually set up a website/fb or something like that allowing people (be it from boards or general public) to bid on the prints? Or would that be too much hassle? We could display the prints on the launch night and only hand them over afterwards; any 'unsold' ones could be for sale on the night?

If I'm overthinking the whole thing, please, feel free to shoot the idea down... :)

That sounds really good - a bit like the auction that was held for the Ray Club in Trim last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I could easily add a Boards prints page on my site. Don't know about auction function though. Could also include the album for sale.
    This is my new buy prints page; I only made it live today, will tweak/fix it this evening http://www.photoblog.ie/buy-print/

The reason I have it up when not 100% perfect is cos I'm going to have a photo of mine in the LA Times travel section (!) so want to have something up.

That sounds really good - a bit like the auction that was held for the Ray Club in Trim last year?

Not sure what was done for the Club (sorry :o). Just remembered that something along those lines happened on pix.ie a few years back. Photos were tagged for auction and whoever wanted a print contacted the tog with their bid; the highest bidder got the print.

I'm not suggesting we should do it the same way as all the pix were scattered over pix.ie but maybe we could set up a new account (if the site T's & C's permit) and upload the pix (small versions only and only if permitted by their authors) there and either let people offer their bids under each photo or provide a contact where they could submit their bid to. Or we might just look into setting up a temporary website that could do the same thing...

Does anybody know (without any lengthy research) if any of this would actually be viable? If not, will do some research and pm project managers with results...?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Not sure what was done for the Club

http://trimprintauction.com/

We sold these prints (and more) and raised over €2,500 for the Ray Club in Trim that was set up by Danny O'Brien (valentia) the week he passed away. Fair bit of work went into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

I like in general the idea of both exhibition (that room in DCC is an exhibition room so still could work) and auction. But seeing it's already basically October, you might put yourself under too much extra work in a short period of time doing one or the other not to mention both.

So the main thing missing is now a marketing person? There should be someone around here. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Ah, you're still on German time I see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

You mean I am two days ahead of my time?

No, you're two days ahead of my time ;) Vorsprung durch Technik :p

We're kicking this off.. so anyone thinking of submitting a photo - get clicking! :D We will be posting up soon with details of how to submit etc. Watch this space!

• Advertisement

Any chance of alternating the book between Landscape and Portrait orientation every second year, say?

I have a photo in mind already. But will probably spend a while looking through loads and then going back to my first pick...

Really looking forward to this & weekend in Dublin.

EyeBlinks wrote: »
    Any chance of alternating the book between Landscape and Portrait orientation every second year, say?

I'm sure this could be looked into but am guessing it will have to be considered in the context of cost & availability. ;)

Well orientation costs nothing extra and not sure what you mean by availabilty ?

EyeBlinks wrote: »
    Well orientation costs nothing extra and not sure what you mean by availabilty ?

We are in the process of contacting some printing companies and from what I understand not all of them offer the same size&format we are used to. Hence my previous comment...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

We are in the process of contacting some printing companies and from what I understand not all of them offer the same size&format we are used to. Hence my previous comment...

The only consideration I'm aware of in switching between landscape and portrait A4 is the size of the cover, and landscape is the more difficult option to produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

I'd have thought that with time being of the essence with this years production that a landscape or portrait book option might be the last thing we should be discussing. Its the kind of thing that can go on forever and, lets face it, this year we just don't have that luxury. Either, as far as I'm concerned, is fine. But a call should be made soon on it so it doesn't derail the project in any way.

We're kicking this off.. so anyone thinking of submitting a photo - get clicking! :D We will be posting up soon with details of how to submit etc. Watch this space!

So is a date etc. all confirmed?

Sorry guys, I'm in the US this week with work, I'll open an expression of interest thread now to get names, this is so we can price the book (numbers). Then, payment must be made to confirm participation and finally, submit your photo.

Date for launch will be finalised once we have a timeline for everything else :-)

The thread to sign up is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056771883&page=4

If you have posted on this discussion thread to say you would like to participate - please officially sign up on that link, otherwise you are not included in our number for going to print :-)

Now to get "the photo" :-)

• Advertisement

We're nearly there.. just clarifying quotes with the printers and pricing should be ready soon..
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭picaaf

Now to get "the photo" :-)

sorted !:)

picaaf wrote: »
    sorted !:)

Jealous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Jealous!!

Surely a woman of your unquestionable skills already has multiple candidates to choose from? But then again, that is a big problem for a woman - making a decision .... :-)

Surely a woman of your unquestionable skills already has multiple candidates to choose from? But then again, that is a big problem for a woman - making a decision .... :-)

Oi! Careful now ;-) No short list to be seen, would love to get out and take some new shots to choose from over the next week. Will have to make it happen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mahna_Mahna

Count me in :) and if helps needed gimme a shout :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Jealous!!

+1

Think I'll get somebody else to pick my shot

Count me in :) and if helps needed gimme a shout :D

Sorry Mahna_Mahna - the submissions are now closed :(

A thread is now open to discuss the proposed Print Auction over here ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

dave66 wrote: »
    +1

Think I'll get somebody else to pick my shot

That sounds like a good idea!!:D

Advertisement