Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Final Fantasy 7....by a non gamer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Let us continue.....

So we left at the point of trawling through the caves with Sephiroth which we already classified as tedious. But fair play to her, she picked it all up and blasted her way through it all before I got home. A little disappointed I wasn't around for that, especially to talk through some of the themes. For example, out of nowhere in one of the battles she was in, she asked ".....hey, is Cloud an Ancient too?". But she seemed a bit happier with the storyline once it got to the parts where you were just watching what happened instead of controlling Cloud through a memory which she classed as "lazy and unnecessary".

So I caught up with her at the Chocobo farm, where she told me she'd just been in a fight with a giant chicken with two monsters protecting it.....before she had bought the lure?! I'd never seen this happen before and made it hard to convince her to spend 2000 gil on the materia from Billy. She also missed the choco/mog materia, again, a struggle not to say anything but have to be fair in this.

On a rather comical note, while trying to find a chocobo to catch, she decided to attack the "giant snake" with gusto. "I'm just gonna kill the damn snake" was the quote after getting pissed off trying to find chocobo's. In her defence, she fought valiantly, and then Tifa got knocked out of the fray, and within seconds, so had Red XIII, leaving her with Cloud who took Beta full force to the face. She pretty much accepted she needed the chocobo then.

I think what annoyed her the most about catch them was the fact she was buying the most expensive greens to keep the chocobo occupied and from what I can see, the more expensive ones don't last anywhere near as long as the cheaper ones. After a furious amount of time on it, she finally pulled it off with 2 characters throwing greens and one fighting to get her chocobo, hurrah!

After getting the chocobo, she runs towards the cave and in a style that I'm sure MitchKoobski above will appreciate, she went ":eek:.......fuuuuuuuuck" upon seeing the impaled zolem.

She got through the mythril mines without much incident, again, i felt bad for not sharing acquired knowledge such as getting enemy skills or stealing one of the best weapons in the game here but she found all the materia etc so I was happy enough to leave her with it. However, upon leaving the caves, the forest as you exit is where I always get Yuffie and without a doubt, this has been the hardest thing to keep quiet about. On one hand, I've never beaten the game without her so I'd like to see how it affects the story, but on the other, I want herself to experience as much as possible. very torn, but as I said at the start, I'll keep this all to myself.

She has completely skipped fort condor and gone toward Junon where she fought Bottomswell with ease. At this point, its worth nothing she's around level 20 and has ice2/fire2/bolt2 from the amount of fights she's been in. She is definitely starting to look overpowered here. Although she does still seem to favour an all out attack, she has been trying out materia as she gets it. She was using Heal materia for ages without realising what its doing just to find out. Again she recognised the bubble attack in this boss as something to attempt to fix herself but didn't catch it in time (it disappears when
    you use magic on it
    , just for anyone who didn't know)

Jesus she hates the mini games though. The CPR thing she thought was boring, "why can't I just cast cure?!" and the dolphin jump mini game was greeted with such disgust that she gave up after 2 mins. She has got her first summon though, Shiva is now in her possession!

She hasn't progressed any further, once again suffering from gamers thumb and gamers neck apparently, but mainly because she doesn't like the dolphin mini game. She's starting to get a bit more into the story, Sephiroth is starting to get the awe factor and she's curious about the ancients as well. At the moment she reckoned she could see herself potentially replaying a game like this and i think, considering she's put in at least 3 hours a day for the last 3 days, that we may have a convert on our hands gentlemen!

Hopefully the dolphin mini-game won't hamper her too much so I can see her get annoyed with the marching mini games coming :)

till next time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RedXIV wrote: »
    I think what annoyed her the most about catch them was the fact she was buying the most expensive greens to keep the chocobo occupied and from what I can see, the more expensive ones don't last anywhere near as long as the cheaper ones. After a furious amount of time on it, she finally pulled it off with 2 characters throwing greens and one fighting to get her chocobo, hurrah!

I don't think it's the greens, catching a chocobo is just a pain in the hoop at early levels especially when you haven't done it before.

I think maybe you should mention Yuffie. I almost completely missed her except a friend told me about her. Would be a big shame to mis out on her because her subquest is one of the best in the game. Also it makes no difference to the story at all if you miss her and Vincent. Just pretend she's playing it back in the day and heard it in the playground.

The mini-games in FFVII are a big weak point. They range from a decent distraction, such as the motorbike race to downright god awful, one of the worst being the dolphin. I can see that square put them in to mess around with the hardware and as a distraction but they'd be better off not putting them in at all since most aren't fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Mini-games suck unless they're like a game within a game like Blitzball or Triple Triad. FFX-2 had god knows how many stupid, boring minigames. It was barely an RPG. Really hated that one where you went around shooting monsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Did anyone get Yuffie first time without being told or cheating? I doubt it.

OK so we're in agreement, Tell her about Yuffie.

I assume telling her that you get her in those woods is enough, I can let her make the mistakes in dialog herself?

• Advertisement

OK so we're in agreement, Tell her about Yuffie.

I assume telling her that you get her in those woods is enough, I can let her make the mistakes in dialog herself?
    Nope, I'd tell her what to say. She'll only end up at an even higher level than she is now with all the trys it'll take.

And it'd be tedious/headwrecking.

I found it pretty obvious that the ninja in the woods was meant to be a character you could recruit. The only reason I didn't on my first playthrough is because I had no clue what dialogue choices to make. They're too arbitrary to come across by accident. So if you're going to mention Yuffie you might as well mention the dialogue choices. Though I wouldn't bother with Yuffie or Vincent at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Did anyone get Yuffie first time without being told or cheating? I doubt it.

I did. I missed Vincent though, which is possibly stupid enough to cancel that out.

vincent has some really important flashback story fillers.

Definitely get him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can encounter yuffie in any forest in the game. As for Vincent, thought his backstory was pretty waek and really weakly presented but he's a fan favourite and no point missing out on him. You'll get him if you go back to the mansion to get the optional story about zack and cloud which is missable but essential so might as well get him on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Though I wouldn't bother with Yuffie or Vincent at all tbh.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I hope she isn't too overpowered. I remembering being god awful and getting stuck on every second boss made it all the better when you beat them. :pac:

keane2097 wrote: »
    :eek:
    Vincent sucks unless you plan on turning him into a monster the whole time. Even then he's only really useful in his purple monster form, whatever it was called, on Disc 1. His physical attacks are crap and his ultimate weapon requires you to kill a bajillion monsters for it to be any good. The actual sidequest you get him in is annoying and obscure, especially without a walkthrough. IMO at least, the game would be much more fun if she'd just skip the mansion and its annoying pumpkins and ying-yang monsters and go straight to the mountains. He really doesn't play all that significant a part in the story either, just the backstory which isn't all that important to the overall story arc, lets be honest. Plus there's a danger that she might want to seek out Dirge of Cerberus afterwards, which cannot be allowed to happen. :D

Yuffie just plain sucks. She steals your materia, the bitch.:mad: Neither character is really all that necessary to enjoy the story of FFVII, which I'm guessing is the main point of OP's thingy. Though if she can get her without running about grinding in the woods for hours then I'd say go for it.

Other than Yuffie stealing my materia (upsetting my materia setup the bitch) I thought her Wutai sidequest a great light hearted diversion even if it's one of those places that seems totally out of place in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Other than Yuffie stealing my materia (upsetting my materia setup the bitch) I thought her Wutai sidequest a great light hearted diversion even if it's one of those places that seems totally out of place in the game.

Agreed, the sidequest itself is fun and something unique. From "teaming up" with the Turks to encountering Don Corneo again, it's a great moment, and there are a few more things to do around the town with Yuffie.

I also personally think she's a great character on and off battle to have around - she's quirky I find; disguising herself as a reporter in Junon or feeling sick on the Cargo Ship and Highwind, she has character!

Anyway, on-topic, I hope she continues to play and enjoy. Delving into the storyline and characters in games like this is what makes a game so enjoyable to play! (And the music and graphics too of course) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

ouu, skipping fort condor and the "woods of eternal powering-up... and Yuffie" and there's nothing 'I' can do about it lol, such sweet torture.

I remember in one or two of my later play-through I used to destroy the game for myself by getting to those woods and leaving with everyone including Yuffie with level 3 limit breaks and Fort Condor sorted the **** out.

on the "extra" characters
    The first time I played* the game I didn't get Vincent.
    well that's not strictly true, the first time I saw the game I actually watched my friend play it up until shorty after "that scene". Anyways he named all the players after people he knew from school, and cloud after himself. Now because of some twisted form of OCD mixed with sentimentality, when I started games of FF7 after that I actually kept those names: as far as I was concerned those were their names not "Cloud and Yuffie, and Barret etc" anyways we found Vincent around the time near the end when you're doing all the messing round and side quests.
    and we called him after me! it;s a stupid little point but not whenever I play FF7 I always remember Vincent was "me" in FF7, and for no other reason then sentimentality, as soon as I get him now I usually leave in on my team permanently.

it was only in subsequent RPG I copped on to the fact that you're supposed to name the "main guy" after you. and then finally, like eventually putting 3 weetabix in a bowl instead of two, you begin to leave the players with their original name.

anyways, love the thread, I hope we get to enjoy a reaction to "the scene"

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

best thread I've read in ages! Really hope she sticks with it, tis letting me relive the experience through new eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Is it too late to advise not telling her how to get Yuffie? Let her play it her own way if possible? You can tell her when she's done with it.

Regarding naming the characters... I named Cloud after a variation of my own name and Aeris after a girl I fancied in RL. Teenage angst + game angst. I had a sweet relationship with the girl in RL (she was very pretty) but then she broke up with me. I clung on to the game character and well you can imagine how that turned out.

So we had a hiccup yesterday. As she's been playing on the PSP, she's become comfortable with setting it to standby. However, our 1yr old daughter is quite fond of anything with buttons or switches and turned off the game on herself sending her back to the mythril mines. A blow to her progress no doubt but in hindsight, this has quite possibly become a blessing in disguise. While going through the mines, this time she stole the grand glove, a great weapon for Tifa, she got her first enemy skill and she's been playing with materia enough to say that her biggest problem is her lack of "All" materia.

She also went to Fort Condor to participate in the battle which she did 99% completely unaided, a worthy achievement in my eyes. She had no issues with the battle, mainly because she had enough money to max out her troops. While she thought the mini game was slow, this has been the one she's hated the least. Not a fan of the mini games yet but progress has been made.

On Yuffie, I told her she could get her in the woods near junon and lo and behold she told me she's already fought her once! She was giving out about her as she stole 700gil from Tifa and assumed that you'd just see her at another stage. I told her if you got the conversation choices correct you got Yuffie on your team and she told me to say no more. Incredibly the next time she fought Yuffie, she got all the conversation choices bar the last one correct through guesswork. She was not happy after she named her and then she disappeared, but thankfully, 2 fights later she showed up again and Yuffie was added to the party.

She flew through the Junon section again and finally got the dolphin jump to work, leading her up to Junon's upper city. Here she found the beginners hall and spent quite a bit of time in here catching up and confirming stuff she's been guessing until now in the battles and with her materia. She also ran through most of the houses and picked up all the new materia and weapons she could handle. And then we got to the marching mini game and by god she hated that. We were there for about 10 minutes just trying to get into the parade where the ratings are on screen and as expected, we received the grenade from the TV station. We've just hit the training room to get ready for the imperial send off, when gamers thumb set in.

She's starting to realise just how much could be hidden in the game due to the Yuffie side quest. She's curious now to go back and check out the first half of the game to see what she has missed so I told her we could try it again and use the official guide I have as well as all the tips and tricks I've picked up over the years but on a lighter note, we're also talking about what other games she might like in the series.

She does seem to be taking a shine to the JRPG genre but when I mentioned that the other games in the series don't have materia or the same characters she was a little disappointed/surprised. I've been thinking ahead to what to let her try next. She has said that the random battles are kinda irritating and what she's enjoying the most in this game is the story. I'm tempted to go with FF9 as I think it's a very beginner friendly one, coupled with the fact that I used to play it with our 7yr old (who lovingly dubbed it "The pirate game"). I don't know if the graphics would be a stumbling block or not to her enjoying the incarnations previous to 7 so I'm thinking either 9 or 10 will be next on the list. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Definitely go with IX imo.

• Advertisement

I say encourage her to stick with 7 before trying the others out.

I too hated the random battles. 7 had the best story of 7,8,9,10 IMO.

I say encourage her to stick with 7 before trying the others out.

I too hated the random battles. 7 had the best story of 7,8,9,10 IMO.

Oh def get 7 finished, that's not even debatable :)

Just want to know what she can get her fix from once 7 is over

Nowhere lol

FFVII was one of a kind :)

That said - As you've a psp what about crisis core? Has related characters and easy style gameplay!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

I say go with IX as well, easy enough to get used to and the story isnt overly complicated either. plus doesnt have the teenage awkwardness of VIII and X :p Graphics wise I think IX has actually held up reasonably well, compared to other games of the era, remember even thinking some early PS2 games didnt match the graphics of it in some cases.

FF6 or FF9 would be my recommendation to try next. If she is annoyed at random battles then FF6, it ahs random battles but since there's no load times (unless you play the terrible PS1 port) the battles are quick and painless.

Maybe you should skip the FF series and go with something better and without random battles. Chrono Trigger would be a great one to play possibly the pinnacle of the JRPG genre and absolutely no random battles. Make sure you don't get the PS1 version since it's ruined with load times. Go for the emulated SNES version or the excellent DS verison. Grandia is another great RPG. Battle system is one of the best in any RPG, simple but with loads of depth and a big step up in qulaity compared to FFVII. No random battles either. The story is light hearted fluff but really entertaining, if she likes the OTT melodrama of FFVII there's not much in this until the final act.

If you want her to see just how good JRPGs can get then get the fan translation of Mother 3 for the GBA. No random battles and a storyline that will floor her especially compared to FFVII. It's for me the best JRPG ever made other than it's predecessor Earthbound on the SNES. Earthbound might be one to recommend, however it's a weird one. I think you need some JRPG experience to get the jokes and how it completely subverts the genre and also it's a game that really doesn't make any sense until right at the end. My girlfriend loved it though, was nearly in tears at the end (she balled at the end of Mother 3 :) ). Might be one to come back to. No random battles either.

You're going to have a tough enough time getting a copy of FFVI that isn't the PS1 port unless you go the way of emulation. And tbh, playing with emulators on a laptop or computer is never fun. I'd say just go with FFX. It's one of the most popular for good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

So we had a hiccup yesterday.
    I nearly shat meself reading that.

I am genuinely rooting for her now, and everytime I think something has gone wrong I get worried.

Theres something wrong with me.

And yes, FFIX all the way!

Mindkiller wrote: »
    You're going to have a tough enough time getting a copy of FFVI that isn't the PS1 port unless you go the way of emulation.

If you've a 'naughty' PSP then there are other ways :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you've a 'naughty' PSP then there are other ways :)

My PSP is not naughty :(

My Playstation phone on the other hand is one hell of a dirty bitch.

FF6 on the phone ftw!

• Advertisement

FF6 on the phone ftw!

Do it!

Advertisement