Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are all Irish workers crap or just lazy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭pavb2

Sure didn't the Irish build Britain,always had a reputation for being the hardest of workers

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

kjl wrote: »
    My job is not to scan receipts, ....

<snip>

....If I hadn't had a copy of the receipts..

Wait! You copy the receipts before you sent them in to be scanned???
    That strikes me as a massive duplication right there - you probably copy them on a digital machine which scans then prints the copy!

If that's what you're doing and you're the clever one, then god only knows what they are up to in the Dublin office - maybe the three week delay is while they transcribe them by hand or print the scans to snail mail them to the next department!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

If that's what your doing and your the clever one, then god only knows what they are up to in the Dublin office - maybe the three week delay is while they transcribe them by hand or print the scans to snail mail them to the next department!!
    Hold on... what you're saying is kjl is full of shite?

Say it ain't so!1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

OP, seeing as you added the word 'all' to the title, I'm guessing you're including yourself in the generalisation? Or are you different? If so, I can think of one glaring error in your thread title. /nit-pick

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

OP, couldn't the problem be with :

a) You
    b) Your company

Rather than the Irish in general? Why don't you check internally as to what the issue is? What's stopping you getting the answers from your management?

I work hard. When expenses land on my desk I process them within 2 days, which is faster than necessary. I like to be efficient. And I'm Irish.

I therefore find your attitude fairly insulting and far too much of a generalisation. Are you deliberately trying to cause arguments by posting in an Irish forum about how high a rate of 'bad workers' we are?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

....as I am Irish....
    Are all Irish workers crap or just lazy?

....or maybe just prone to shooting themselves spectacularly in the foot ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I work for a multinational company who have one of their offices located in Dublin. Now I don't actually work in the Dublin office, but as I am Irish they handle all the administrative work like scanning expenses receipts or if there are any issues ordering equipment.

Here in lies the question, I work with a group of people from all over Europe and they all have to use their home office for the same stuff I do. So the UK people use the UK office, the German people use the German office, but every one of them has things done efficiently and quickly. Not me though, it takes about 2 weeks to do anything in the Irish office.

Ill give a few examples
    me: send in an expense report, it takes about 2-3 weeks to get it processed
    colleagues: 2-3 days

I ordered a new phone through the company website
    colleagues: 4 days delivered
    me: 1 month

I had a simple issue with my company card,
    it took 2 weeks to resolve it.

Now you may say well maybe you are not following up with emails and phone calls. One time I was trying to contact a girl in the Irish office and I rang and emailed every single day for a week and I am still waiting to hear back from her.

And when I was offered the job, I was working with an exterior HR person, but I had to send my contract into the Irish office. I sent it in by hand on a Friday, then got a call on Wed asking me why I had not sent in. I went back into the office to find out they lost the contact and I had to fill out a whole new contract, with multiple steps involved.

So I ask, what's the deal? Why are Irish workers so bad at their job. This isn't just my company either, I have a lot of associates who do a similar job to me who are Irish based and they have the exact same issues.

Sorry to be so late in replying, but I couldn't be arsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Fair point, I do appreciate that I was exaggeration a lot, but can we at least discuss the possibly that we have a higher rate of bad workers
    Are there only Irish people working in the Irish office?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Are there only Irish people working in the Irish office?

Some, but only when they feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

You have to remember that the person you deal with in the Dublin office is most likely doing three peoples work.

In the office for the company I work for people have been taking redundancy since the recession hit and not being replaced, nd the work is being spread to the remaining team.

Work a week in the Dublin office before u start judging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

pavb2 wrote: »
    Sure didn't the Irish build Britain,always had a reputation for being the hardest of workers

You're right, the Irish were always good at being told what to do.

Course when it comes to taking control, running round like a bunch of headless chickens wouldn't be far off the mark.

A whole bunch of irish leaders and CEO's spring to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Title lacks self awareness.

Gigino is self loathing

That's all folks

pavb2 wrote: »

You're right, the Irish were always good at being told what to do.

Course when it comes to taking control, running round like a bunch of headless chickens wouldn't far off the mark.
    Yeah us paddies are so inferior thank god for our betters to put us in line!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭gk5000

Apologies for a serious answer to a serious question but....

Irish people work very well abroad, but pretty **** at home.

We have a good name abroad, build America etc. but fcuk things up good at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I work for a multinational company who have one of their offices located in Dublin. Now I don't actually work in the Dublin office, but as I am Irish they handle all the administrative work like scanning expenses receipts or if there are any issues ordering equipment.

Here in lies the question, I work with a group of people from all over Europe and they all have to use their home office for the same stuff I do. So the UK people use the UK office, the German people use the German office, but every one of them has things done efficiently and quickly. Not me though, it takes about 2 weeks to do anything in the Irish office.

Ill give a few examples

Now you may say well maybe you are not following up with emails and phone calls. One time I was trying to contact a girl in the Irish office and I rang and emailed every single day for a week and I am still waiting to hear back from her.

And when I was offered the job, I was working with an exterior HR person, but I had to send my contract into the Irish office. I sent it in by hand on a Friday, then got a call on Wed asking me why I had not sent in. I went back into the office to find out they lost the contact and I had to fill out a whole new contract, with multiple steps involved.

So I ask, what's the deal? Why are Irish workers so bad at their job. This isn't just my company either, I have a lot of associates who do a similar job to me who are Irish based and they have the exact same issues.

Nothing worse than the f*cker who shows up on a Friday afternoon looking for something done just as you're waiting to go home.

Dudess wrote: »

Yes, there's something in that.
    I think we are good abroad when either working for, but also managing other people,

..but somehow not so good at home either managing or being managed.

There is something in the Irish psyche about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Ill give a few examples

Maybe they just think you are an arsehole.

gk5000 wrote: »
    Apologies for a serious answer to a serious question but....

Irish people work very well abroad, but pretty **** at home.

We have a good name abroad, build America etc. but fcuk things up good at home.
    Probably true. Very laidbavk culture here which is good but not akways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

My job is not to scan receipts, the Irish policy is that in order to claim your expenses you must have send in your receipts to the scanning department. I sent them just as specified by the policy.

Now when I am waiting for expenses, that's money out of my pocket and all my other colleagues are get theirs processed in less then a week and mine are taking 2-3 weeks, despite 100's of calls and emails.

I once sent in three packages to them and they lost all three, like how do you loose three packages? If I hadn't had a copy of the receipts I wouldn't have been paid. I do my job very well and I always look after the administration side, but I have to do so much more work because the Irish office is so slow.

The above is just one instance of many that have constantly showed me that Irish people are very unreliable and not very good at their jobs.

And to answer another question asked of me, no, I have not done anything to upset the office, I've only been their once in my career.

Thanks for the response and I'm sure it explains everything perfectly but to be honest I was just being a smart arse with that comment and your job sounds so dull that I think I might start crying if I have to read 5 whole more paragraphs about it. Thanks for taking the time to respond. But sorry, tl;dr.

Again seriously.....

This point is the key to Ireland's future economic success and independance...I don't know the answer.

• Advertisement

Yes, there's something in that.
    I think we are good abroad when either working for, but also managing other people,

..but somehow not so good at home either managing or being managed.

There is something in the Irish psyche about this.
    I was being sarcastic :)
    self criticism is good thing but being simpering and grovelling is going too far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Monkey say, monkey do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Gigino is self loathing
    What makes you think he's Irish?

I love these threads, its like a "summon noddy" spell.

self criticism is good thing but being simpering and grovelling is going too far
    Yes but I wasn't.

This is the key point to Ireland's future economic success and independance
    ...and I still don't know the answer.

But if we could figure out how to harness Irish people's productiveness abroad....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I know in my work place, if you want documents produced on time or invoice issued, you need to have a good working relationship with the secretary or accounts guy who's doing the work for you.

Maybe OP, you should work on developing the softer skills of Project Management rather than just complaining that nobody ever does stuff for you - it's quite possible that they think you're an arsehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Yes but I wasn't.

This is the key point to Ireland's future economic success and independance
    ...and I still don't know the answer.

But if we could figure out how to harness Irish people's productiveness abroad....

Maybe if they'd harness the productiveness of some of us here at home and stop protecting the greedy at our expense?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mr_Maestro

Racist much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

So, in short, when you first joined the company you probably went off on a massive rant directed towards a member of admin staff based in Dublin over a single error. Since then the staff who had to put up with it have been taking it out on you. Sounds like a case of "what comes around" rather than anything else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If I came on here and said no Irish employer should ever employ a Nigerian or a traveller as all of them are swindlers and cheats then I'd get slapped down

Yet our ex-pat OP can label the entire nation as useless it seems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

mikemac1 wrote: »
    If I came on here and said no Irish employer should ever employ a Nigerian or a traveller as all of them are swindlers and cheats then I'd get slapped down

Yet our ex-pat OP can label the entire nation as useless it seems

I did ask the question, are there only Irish people working in the Dublin office? but I didn't get an answer.

Advertisement