Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SuSi Grant Appeal

• 17-09-2014 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has had any success in my situation.

I'm 23 and beginning the 2nd year of my degree. I wasn't eligible for a grant last year because I completed a 1st year in a previous course before leaving. As a result I had to pay 3,819euros and had to take out a loan to pay it.

I work part-time to pay it off, and also just to pay my way, car insurance, tax, petrol, necessities, etc. My brother earns similar money to me and was awarded a grant last year, and was immediately awarded it again this year.

Now, I am apparently ineligible because I live at home. My parent gross ~52k I think and the cut off is 54k. They expect a 23yr old guy to earn less than 2,000 in a year? This is absurd. That is 135euros a month. You get more than that on the dole, a week!

I pay for everything myself. My parents have their own bills, mortgages, and my sister to cater for. I wouldn't expect anything off them anyway.

I have to pay a further 130euro to do a first aid course. Another 100+ for college tracksuit. I'm expected to upskill (attend seminars, conferences, workshops). I run a car. I have to clothe myself. Contribute towards to house.

The fees this year are 2,750. That will wipe me out unless I take out another loan.

Don't want to bring up the issue with my brother in case they strip his.

Apparently the first process is for a review. Then I can appeal. I don't know how far I get.

I have a friend, on the dole, gets his full cut every week. Gets all his fees paid. Travel expenses. Any extras needed for college paid for. It just seems the system is set up unfair for someone willing to juggle a part-time job with study.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

You were under 23 at your point of entry and will always remain dependent on your parents until you take a break of 3 years.

I know you earn your own keep, but it's based on your reckonable income of the household, just like some social welfare.

If you bring your brother into your grant, you will get an increase in the threshold, but if he is under 23 and living at home it might effect his grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,742 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is your brother assessed as an independent mature student?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11 germaine07

Is your brother assessed as an independent mature student?

No. He is actually 2 years younger than me.

And yeah, I dont want to risk bringing my brother into it in case they re assess him and take his grant.

I actually received a full grant back in 2009 when I first entered 3rd level education.

After I left that course, I was working part-time and still qualified for 100euro a week from the social (as I was only 19)

Last year I wasn't eligible last year because I received a grant for first year already.

I'm going to follow the protocol/procedure and first ask for a review, then appeal, then the final appeal. Don't know if I'll be successful but it's either that, or have to take out a loan every year for the next 3 years to pay college fees, then I want to do a Masters in Liverpool which means taking out another loan. Just seems like the system is set-up to hit the working class.

Fees go up to 3,000 next year too. So the 3 years plus Masters (~£5-6000), I'm looking at having to borrow about 15,000, while if I wasn't working and was on welfare, I would get it all paid for. Fair?

It doesnt make sense.

Why did they turn you down? Because of your parents income or because you dropped out before?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

It doesnt make sense.

Why did they turn you down? Because of your parents income or because you dropped out before?

Last year it was due to me dropping out after a year previously (fair enough with that one). I had gone back and done a level 5 and if I had opted for a level 7, I wouldn't have had to pay tuition fees, but because I got the level 8, I had to pay tuition. No way around it last year. Bit the bullet and took out a loan.

This year they are saying it is down to my parents + my income combined. My parents income combined is still below the threshold but my own income pushes me over. And it's all based on "gross income" it seems. I can only earn up to 135 euros a month before not be eligible.

I need my job to pay for things such as car running costs, pay some towards the household, clothing, toiletries, necessities, unexpected expenses, dentist, etc... I'm sure I don't have to list it all to you :)

I only work 20 hours a week. As well, with my course, we are expected to continually up skill throughout.

I was at a conference the weekend. 100euro

I have to (compulsory) get first aid trained. 130euro

I am expected to get ISAK certified. 450euro

And the trend continues like that throughout my course.

If I don't work, I can't pay my way through college, or life in general. If I do work, I get put under financial stress due to fees.

germaine07 wrote: »
    Last year it was due to me dropping out after a year previously (fair enough with that one). I had gone back and done a level 5 and if I had opted for a level 7, I wouldn't have had to pay tuition fees, but because I got the level 8, I had to pay tuition. No way around it last year. Bit the bullet and took out a loan.

This year they are saying it is down to my parents + my income combined. My parents income combined is still below the threshold but my own income pushes me over. And it's all based on "gross income" it seems. I can only earn up to 135 euros a month before not be eligible.

I need my job to pay for things such as car running costs, pay some towards the household, clothing, toiletries, necessities, unexpected expenses, dentist, etc... I'm sure I don't have to list it all to you :)

I only work 20 hours a week. As well, with my course, we are expected to continually up skill throughout.

I was at a conference the weekend. 100euro

I have to (compulsory) get first aid trained. 130euro

I am expected to get ISAK certified. 450euro

And the trend continues like that throughout my course.

If I don't work, I can't pay my way through college, or life in general. If I do work, I get put under financial stress due to fees.

Did your brother apply with your parents details?

If he did and was awarded, it may be just your income bringing you over the threshold.
    If this is the case, you will get a threshold for both you and your brother and maybe it might improve his grant also.
    You can submit holiday/out of term earnings as well, up to €3809

Sup08 wrote: »
    Did your brother apply with your parents details?

If he did and was awarded, it may be just your income bringing you over the threshold.
    If this is the case, you will get a threshold for both you and your brother and maybe it might improve his grant also.
    You can submit holiday/out of term earnings as well, up to €3809

There is no increase in the threshhold unless you have more than 4 dependent children.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

Terry Pratchet

Yes there is for a relevant person in the household attending full time education at further or higher level. Up to 4830 depending on the income and the level

Sup08 wrote: »
    Yes there is for a relevant person in the household attending full time education at further or higher level. Up to 4830 depending on the income and the level

Doh you're correct! I thought there was something wrong last night.

OP well then you will need to bring in your brother into your review.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help guys. I'll proceed with an appeal and hopefully this will get sorted. I'd be happy with just partial payment of the fees. That way, I could survive a bit more comfortably.

Off topic.

I am planning on moving to Liverpool after my degree to do a Masters (fingers crossed). I'll be 26 at the time & the MSc is £5000. Would I be entitled to anything, as I would be moving over there (taught MSc)?

Best of luck with it.

There is no funding from SUSI for postgraduate studies abroad.

Advertisement