Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begging around bus station

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭source

That guy is a bloody plague, he's a professional beggar. Lives somewhere up in the midlands. I encountered him a number of times in my former profession, him and a number of the other roma gypsies get dropped off here to beg and steal and then they get picked up and back up to the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Melion wrote: »
    If he goes to a car with a man driving and is told no, he stands there for a second and then moves on. Different story if its a woman on her own though, he will not leave the window for at least 10 seconds while pleading with her and shaking his cup, now i know that doesnt seem like a long time when you read it but id imagine its very intimidating for women. Im talking about the foreign guy in the grey jacket, not the fella selling the books of poetry.

All this just reminded me that it will be window washer season soon, fúcking cúnts.

Yes he did this to me on Monday, lingered for about 10 seconds (I'm a woman). I thought it was just me as I'd intended to hit the lock button on my door when I saw him (just in case) and ended up hitting the button that winds down the windows :eek: (I'm not fully accustomed to the electronics in my car just yet). So I was fiddling a lot with the door. Made no eye contact with him though, just stared straight ahead.

I hate those window washer bástards as well. Got my windscreen washed at Punches Cross a couple of years ago by one of them, despite shaking my head vigorously to say no! Didn't pay him though -the lights went green!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭source

On the topic of the window washers, when they approach, just use the washer on your car and turn the wipers on full. They'll just walk past you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

source wrote: »
    On the topic of the window washers, when they approach, just use the washer on your car and turn the wipers on full. They'll just walk past you.

If they still try.. Reverse the car.. and run em down! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

There is a beggar who hangs around outside the entrance to Cruises Street Car park beside Z We Ton on little Ellen Street with his any money to help a homeless man spiel, I walk past him almost everyday and he really annoys me, he is wearing a different shiny tracksuit everyday, someone must be giving him money if he is always there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

He lives/stops in castletroy actually, regularily meet him and his daughter shopping in superquinn/ lidl. saw him only yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭curry_person

i was sitting outside cafe on Thomas street with a friend drinking coffee when a Romanian women gave me a note saying how she had no English and needs money for food, i told her no, she had the bestest english then when she tried to hassle us for money!!! i wouldn't give them money ever! like previous posters say if people keep giving them money, they wont stop!!! it will be like south park where we will have them coming from everywhere!

also had 2 beggars sit down beside me drinking beer talking to me while waiting for bus i sat there for ages thinking security in my eye line will tell them to piss off! no they didnt! i had to go walk away and hide in a different bus stop and hope they didnt see me hiding from them :O

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Try living and working in Dublin mate.
    I pass at least two dozen beggars a day.

Had people come into where I work and try beg of customers inside.
    Have had the usual "need a ticket home", "need a cup of tea", even had the novel "I won't lie to you, I want to buy some Heroin."

It's actually a bit upsetting that I'm becoming so used to it since moving here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

Limerick is a nightmare for begging. It isn't just the beggars either, you've got chuggers on Cruises street and for Christ's sake I wish someone would put a stop to groups of teenagers in school uniform collecting for charity every few yards around the city. Lets be honest, there are plenty of charity shops in the city centre if people want to donate to charity. I'm all for supporting charity but I'm fed up of having buckets rattled at me. Don't even get me started on that pr**k from the Hanley centre, NO means No, No matter how many times I pass you.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Limerick is a nightmare for begging. It isn't just the beggars either, you've got chuggers on Cruises street and for Christ's sake I wish someone would put a stop to groups of teenagers in school uniform collecting for charity every few yards around the city. Lets be honest, there are plenty of charity shops in the city centre if people want to donate to charity. I'm all for supporting charity but I'm fed up of having buckets rattled at me. Don't even get me started on that pr**k from the Hanley centre, NO means No, No matter how many times I pass you.:mad:

Cruises Street is empty these days. Thomas St. and Bedford Row is where the chuggers gather now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

RonMexico wrote: »

Cruises Street is empty these days. Thomas St. and Bedford Row is where the chuggers gather now.
    Not yesterday there was a group of them waiting in the centre of cruises st. Had to nip through boots to avoid them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Chuggers = knackers with cans or people with collection buckets?

I used to live in Limerick until a few years ago and had the same experiences mentioned here. Never heard the term chuggers though....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Chuggers = "Charity" muggers, no money up front, usually have a clipboard to take down your bank details so that they can collect on a monthly basis from your a/c (and for the chugger, a fat commission), bright flourescent jacket and sickening disposition also de riguer.

As said, more prevalent at Bedford Row and Thomas St. corners, but have seen them daytime at the end of Cruises St, for a time they were patrolling by O'Mahony's Bookshop too.....thankfully no more at that shopfront.

Annoying twats with their mock cheerfullness, big "hello, how are yooouuuu?" before attempting the sales pitch. Worse again with the wimmin.."Aren't you looking lovely today?"....jeesus wept.

One nice thing about Chuggers though, you just love telling them to F*ck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

source wrote: »
    Then get em with the headlight washers as they're level with your bonnet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I was walking around Limerick a few days ago and a woman from Romania came up and showed me a piece of paper explaining she needed money. I stopped to read it (thought she might've needed directions), and then moved on (which I probably got her hopes up unintentionally by doing). My Dad's been to some rough places in his time, and his advice has always been to never stop in the street to give anyone money, registered organisations or not.

First of all, you can get distracted by someone, and have your pockets picked. Secondly, you can get marked for a mugging once you've been shown to have some cash on you. Thirdly, most charitable causes out collecting on the street are genuine, but occasionally they aren't. It sounds really cynical, but that's it can be sometimes.

The best thing you can do is make a private donation of a €10 or something to Vincent de Paul for the year. At least you can be sure it goes towards something then, and you've given a bit to charity.

Limerick Station is intolerably bad though. I've been asked for money from skangers on a few occasions, and been threatened, but I've never given anyone money. It's only natural that it attracts those types though, because there's absolutely no effort made in that place by the staff. They only started taking steps to stop pigeons from landing, nesting, crapping around the station recently. I wonder what people visiting from other countries must think.

As some people said though, Dublin is far, far worse. The begging/homeless situation there is seriously shocking. Actually puts me off going to Dublin. (I'm forced to go to Limerick :))

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭curry_person

I was walking around Limerick a few days ago and a woman from Romania came up and showed me a piece of paper explaining she needed money. I stopped to read it (thought she might've needed directions), and then moved on (which I probably got her hopes up unintentionally by doing).

Had same kinda person!!! not sure if same woman! but when me and my mate said no she had perfect English to try and hassle money out us! rudeness :mad:

remember when i used to work on Thomas street there was a Romanian women begging for food she would go up to people sitting outside cafes eating food, first ask them for food when they said no she would proceed to put her hand in there food and take some !!!

people should be free to go out and not fear to get hassled like this!!!

maybe everyone on here should rise up against things like this and call gardai every time we see something like this happening?! wouldnt be long moving from Limerick!!! :P

Advertisement