Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Art/Craft Stores and supplies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Anyone know anything about new art & craft shop opening in Bray [Wicklow] soon?

It is open, its the same shop that was on the florence road, beside Smyths, Its now beside Mizzoni's where the old Sweet Shop used to be.
    snollup wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone knows of a yarn/wool shop in Stillorgan. I have been told that there is one but for the life of me I cannot find it.

Thanks.

Could it be Nimble Fingers? Not sure if they stock wool, but definatley lots of other art and craft supplies

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭binxeo

Hi I'm new here. Does anyone know any where around Westmeath to get good priced supplies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

So looking for advice on where to order from.

I'm after some stuff for Pepakura projects. I need cardstock that can be used in a printer, a precision knife and a cutting board.

What site would people recommend for getting that sort of stuff at a decent price for a beginner? :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

unreggd wrote: »
    Howaya!

Does anyone know anywhere in Dublin that sells small tubes of lino printing ink? All I can find in stock at the main shops is the large tubes at €7 a pop

Thanks!

Evans off Caple St

http://goo.gl/maps/sRxP2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

FYI, Lidl have in elastics for clothes atm, quite a lot in the pack for only 2.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

If ever you travel to Belfast..there is a Craftworld shop on Queens St. 2 mins from the central bus stop at the City Hall....Fabulous range of Craft materials for every interest inc ...casting powders ..resins ..mould making material....tons of stuff.
    Worth a trip..... and sure you can use a visit to the Titanic experience as an excuse.

Cheers

MOD: Unfortunately they went out of business last year. Sometimes they still advertise clearance days on their FB page, though. (14/01/21)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Anyone know a shop that sells jellyrolls in Dublin? I would like to see before I buy. Also how many jellyrolls for a quilt. And would you just buy say, four the same or buy plain fabrics to interchange. Any help, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

If anyone requires a life model I am available. Please contact me by pm for more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Hi, just a quick word to say that for the last few months, Easons in the Foyleside shopping centre, Derry have had a special on their Daler Rowney oil paint sets. 9 x 125ml tubes for £10.99, reduced from £49.95. I was up a while back and bought 15 sets.. happy days, as they say in Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

freida wrote: »
    Anyone know a shop that sells jellyrolls in Dublin? I would like to see before I buy. Also how many jellyrolls for a quilt. And would you just buy say, four the same or buy plain fabrics to interchange. Any help, much appreciated

Most shops sell them, they aren't difficult to source.

If it's a bought pattern it will tell you exactly how many rolls you'll need. If you are making up a pattern you will need to sit down and work out how big a block will be - one jelly roll is 2.5" x 40".

Are you planning to cut the strips or just use them whole? Immediately you will lose 0.25" for seams. So the more you cut up the rolls the more seams you will have and the more rolls you will need to buy.

The binding is also a factor. This is the material that connects the front of the quilt to the back (that runs around the outside). The width of the binding will also play a factor in how many rolls you will need.

For a King-size quilt I'd expect to use anywhere from 3 - 5 rolls (again... depending on binding, pattern, etc).

Have a look at this calculator, it should help http://www.quiltbug.com/Articles/fabric-calculator.htm

Quilt making is expensive! Add up the rolls, the binding material, the backing and the batting (the fluff inside) and you'll probably faint :D

Just don't forget about the seams when making calculations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 daxie28

Does anyone know where I can source clear/transparent clock mechanisms in Ireland? Am looking online, but I can only find ones that are in the states! Shipping is $60!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mollymalone1

is there a local knitting/crotchet class around Rathfarnham?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bull McCabe1920

Anyone know where I would get uv/water resistance protection spray in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

is there a local knitting/crotchet class around Rathfarnham?

Contact your local library, I often see notices up for local groups and classes. In fact I think Rathfarnham library got a facelift recently, I must pop in and check it out myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pensivepuca

I seen someone looking for small tubes of lino printing ink, however they cost £5.50 per tiny tube - a bigger tube may serve me better. Does anyone know of a place in Derry or Donegal that sells big tubes of lino printing ink? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

I seen someone looking for small tubes of lino printing ink, however they cost £5.50 per tiny tube - a bigger tube may serve me better. Does anyone know of a place in Derry or Donegal that sells big tubes of lino printing ink? Thanks.

I'm not sure if they do the big tubes, but it would be worth checking LPC in Derry (on the Diamond) or Sprint or Donegal Stationery in Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DeeDee89

does anybody know where I can get those stick on eyes that you stick to toilet roll holders and make gonks for kids??

I bought a bag of the googly eyes in Evans, off Capel Street if you are in Dublin, they had small and large. But sometimes they might be in the pound shops or Dealz. Otherwise craft shops have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pensivepuca

I'm not sure if they do the big tubes, but it would be worth checking LPC in Derry (on the Diamond) or Sprint or Donegal Stationery in Letterkenny.

I was in Easons (Derry) who don't sell any printing ink, and LPC (Derry) sell the tiny tubes for 5.90.

I am for Letterkenny in a few weeks so will check out there, thanks. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12 alisonxx

Hey, does anyone know where I could buy a bag of flat glass beads? We've all seen them in vases and on tables at weddings for decoration, however they seem to be non existent at the moment! I mean the ones that are flat on one side, round on the other, normally clear but also come in colours? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

• Advertisement

alisonxx wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone know where I could buy a bag of flat glass beads? We've all seen them in vases and on tables at weddings for decoration, however they seem to be non existent at the moment! I mean the ones that are flat on one side, round on the other, normally clear but also come in colours? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Try a garden centre or somewhere that sells homeware. You don't say where you are but, if you're in Dublin, Arnott's is a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Try a garden centre or somewhere that sells homeware. You don't say where you are but, if you're in Dublin, Arnott's is a possibility.

That's a good suggestion - I'm sure I've gotten them in Woodies before!

I rarely see the clear glass beads, but I saw the coloured ones in the pound shop about 10 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 juliannebk

Gaspode wrote: »
    I can heartly recommend ...

www.craftsupplies.ie is an online craft supply shop, but the delivery time is excellent. I ordered stuff on a monday and was opening my parcell on wednesday. It takes laser as well as the usuall credit cards so its handy.

I have to admit I find Inspiring Ideas a rip off shop. They sell their fabric by the yard ? Who works in yards anymore. And they are so so stingy with their measurements .... I have never gotten anything the smallest bit bigger than a yard.
    This site is closed now :( does anyone know of anywhere near Killorglin that sells craft stuff?

Hi. I am new to this and new to the area. Does anyone know where I can buy craft supplies near Killorglin, Kerry? I'd prefer a shop to a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

It might be good to post in the Kerry thread also - as people will know of local shops.

So sorry to hear Cara Craft Supplies is gone - they were lovely friendly people to deal with, and did a great range of cardmaking stuff.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

juliannebk wrote: »
    Hi. I am new to this and new to the area. Does anyone know where I can buy craft supplies near Killorglin, Kerry? I'd prefer a shop to a website.

The Art and Hobby Shop in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WillyWonkaBar

A friend of mine has started a new website in the last few months, selling hobby products but at the moment is selling art supplies. He is based in Tralee, Co. Kerry but delivers to Ireland & the U.K.

http://www.hobmania.com/

Also he is looking for an experienced artist to write a guest blog post on arts & crafts. So if anyone is interested you can PM me.

• Advertisement

Thanks Caros. I went there on Monday, mostly they stock artist stuff, paints, paper, brushes etc, they did have some fun craft stuff for kids though. I badly miss Hobby craft in the UK!

Advertisement