Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dingle1

Hi to all in North Kerry,

Recently while away in Castres with "les rouge" I ended up in the European Hotel where a mighty sing-song ensued into the wee hours of the morning. A Tarbert lad gave a great rendition of John B's The Sive Song....... On the road to Abbeyfeale etc. It was only mighty!

Would anybody have the words of it & be so kind as to post them up on the site.

Where could I get a tape or preferably a CD of the song?

Muchos Gracias

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

Dingle1 wrote:
    Hi to all in North Kerry,

Recently while away in Castres with "les rouge" I ended up in the European Hotel where a mighty sing-song ensued into the wee hours of the morning. A Tarbert lad gave a great rendition of John B's The Sive Song....... On the road to Abbeyfeale etc. It was only mighty!

Would anybody have the words of it & be so kind as to post them up on the site.

Where could I get a tape or preferably a CD of the song?

Muchos Gracias

-*_*_*_*_*_*_
    You should also post this in the LISTOWEL FORUM.
    Good luck. It is a lovely song and I wish I could remember it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kerrygirl

Hi there,

How's everyone to-day ? :)

reic wrote:
    Hi Kerrygirl.

Have I mentioned that I like Kerry girls?

Good to hear from you.

Welcome KERRYGIRL>

Have your speakers on for this.

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=GB37712966 .

• Advertisement

For SIVE you can't find better than this!

http://www.mickeymacconnell.com/

Hi everyone, hope your all keeping well.

Welcome KERRYGIRL>

Have your speakers on for this.

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=GB37712966 .

That was lovely thank you.

Hi everyone,

greetings from kerry. :)

Hi Kerrygirl.
    Greetings from the USA.
    What part of the KINGDOM are you settled in ?
    How is the Winter over there?
    This is my little town over here:

www.rhinebeckchamber.org

also one of our local attractions, I help them with their research.

www.wilderstein.org

We are close to the Hudson River and alongs it's banks are many mansions , some open to the public.
    Lots of Irish settled here in the 1800s.

• Advertisement

Hi everyone,

I'm seem to be really unlucky, there's never anyone here when i log on !!!:

Hi Kerrygirl.
    Greetings from the USA.
    What part of the KINGDOM are you settled in ?
    How is the Winter over there?
    This is my little town over here:

www.rhinebeckchamber.org

also one of our local attractions, I help them with their research.

www.wilderstein.org

We are close to the Hudson River and alongs it's banks are many mansions , some open to the public.
    Lots of Irish settled here in the 1800s.

It's very good to here from you, the weather is nice here at the moment, I'm currently living in Tralee, just 20 miles from Ballybunion.
    I looked up the site you posted and it lookes lovely, do you like it over there ?.

there's never anyone here when I sign on, thought it was me, ha ha ha.

Yes, I am beginning to worry where everybody is myself.
    Do you ever go out to Fenit.? How is the Oyster Tavern doing?. Remember the great food there. I still have friends in the Spa.
    I used to live in Ballybunion & Listowel .I have been here in the USA many years now. It is home now.
    I am 110 miles from New York City( 1 3/4 hours by train).
    I usually check in here after 10:00PM which would make it after 3AM your time.
    Let's hope we hear from our friends in the Forum soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

I've had an invite to Listowel for the weekend. Must check out the weather forecast. The farming area I'll be going to is no place to be in wet weather, lol.

cid003101c5dbd0a4872d10c37a174.gifBetween the Ballybunion and Listowel Forums over 11,000 Views !!!

cid003001c5dbd0a4872d10c37a174.gifCome on, join in !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Welcome back, SNOWSCORPION

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 townie

Some people should not judge all limerick people the same, just remember without the Mad limerick people going back there year after year that town wouldn't survive. :cool:

Snow in Ireland yesterday! :eek:

Click the Nine News link at the bottom of the page for a 2-minute report from RTE

-8 C = 17F

What's the bog deal about the ground temp being -16 C (3 F)?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0303/weather.html

• Advertisement

Just running a little test ( think I've forgotten how to post pictures :o

shamrocks_fall_lg_nwm.gif
    leprechaun_surfing_internet_lg_nwm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Everytime I plan to head for Nth. Kerry something conspires to prevent me. Grrrrrrr. I'm overdue a visit.

:D

irish_text_waving_hg_clr.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

i live in Ballybunion.

i live in Ballybunion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

i live in town.molly miller is my gran aunt.

i live in Ballybunion.

You're the guy we've all been waiting for!

Kerry - A Cut Above the Rest c011.gif
    AFTER reading through the 38 pages devoted to Kerry in the latest edition of the Lonely Plant guide to Ireland, you find yourself thinking, thank God I already live here, because if I didn’t, I’d be packing my bags and heading for this slice of paradise in the southwest, post haste!

To say that the writers of the popular travel guide were impressed with our fair county, would be something of an understatement. There is very little criticism of any kind about any place, and any that is levied, is hard to argue with.

It’s also noticeable that there’s a vast amount of space devoted to the county in the guide — only places like Dublin and Belfast get more column inches and, with their vast populations, that’s only be be expected. You actually find yourself feeling a bit sorry for the people of Leitrim and Longford, whose counties are collectively deemed worthy of a paltry three pages.

But all the news is not good... c021.gif
    So assuming most of you out there haven’t read the guide, you’ll be keen to ask the obvious question: so what do they think of us? Well, if you’re from Castleisland, Ballybunion, Sneem or Ballyheigue, the answer unfortunately is “not much”, because none of these places were mentioned.

Won't someone - anyone - ride to Ballybunion's rescue?

YES!!

To Deirdre Walsh

a194.gif

In praise of Ballyb

By Deirdre Walsh

I’VE always been a big fan of the Lonely Planet guides — I’d scarcely get on a plane in recent years without one tucked into my hand luggage — but after reading their latest 732-page tome on Ireland, I must admit I’m in a major sulk with them. In fact, they may have lost a life-long customer.

Why? Because having gone through the entire Kerry section in great detail, I can’t find a single reference to my beloved home town. Zilch. Nada. As far as this 2006 guide to Ireland is concerned, Ballybunion doesn’t exist.

Never mind that it just happens to be home to one of the top ten golf courses in the world, has two Blue Flag beaches and is one of the most popular seaside resorts in the country. It seems that author Fionn Davenport and his team of four other travel writers simply never ventured past Listowel when they headed north of the county, save for a cursory mention of Tarbert and the fact that the car ferry leaves from there.

Being ignored is almost worse than being slated. At least the good citizens of Dundalk — “a charmless place without much to see or do” — got some decent publicity in the national media in the aftermath of the guide’s publication last month, and thereby got a chance to defend the honour of their home town. But we Ballybunion natives weren’t even deemed worthy of a good slagging off.

Having smarted over this glaring omission all week, I’ve decided that the only decent thing to do is write my own ‘Guide to Ballybunion’, which any tourists reading this can feel free to tear out and keep for future reference.

GETTING THERE: Embark from the car ferry at Tarbert and follow the signs. Or if you’re coming from the Tralee side, drive slowly over the infamous Dale Road, or you could find yourself upsidedown in a bog. Arriving alive is always a good start.

WHERE TO STAY: There are several good hotels, none of which will rip you off at any time of year. The Golf Hotel has a spectacular view of the town from its rooftop restaurant. Or better still, stay in one of the numerous top-class B&Bs such as Mary Beasley’s 19th Green near the golf club — the favoured choice of world-renowned golfer Tom Watson. There’s a hostel too, if you’re on a budget.

THINGS TO DO: Get the ultimate relaxation experience with a hot seaweed bath at Collins’ Baths on the ladies’ beach. Better than any trip to a fancy health spa, and a lot cheaper. Make sure you have tea and some of Mary Mulvihill’s homemade scones afterwards. Sheer heaven.

Go for a long walk back the cliffs and take in some breathtaking scenery, including the Virgin Rock. Pick perriwinkles on the Black Rocks or lounge on one of the two unspoiled Blue Flag beaches.

Take a day-long boat trip up along the coast and travel through the magnificent Virgin Rock.

Of course if you’re a golfer, you’re in seventh heaven. Ballybunion has two top-class links courses, which are firm favourites with everyone from Bill Clinton to Catherine Zeta-Jones.

EATING OUT: The Strand, Kilcooley’s, Cliff House and Harty Costelloe’s are all top-class and great value, and the town also has a Chinese, an Indian and a steak house.

PUBS: No shortage of variety here either. The Exchange and JDs for the young and the trendy; Mikey Joe’s if you want to talk golf all night, or The Railway if you want to meet the locals.

Of course I could go on and on — and will no doubt get in to trouble for omitting some place or other — but what the hell. The tourists need to know, in case they come to Kerry and never make it to my beloved home town. Maybe the Lonely Planet people might even offer me a job in time for their next edition.

Ooops! Forgot to include the link: http://www.unison.ie/kerryman/stories.php3?ca=45&si=1567379&issue_id=13714 a090.gif

i live in town.molly miller is my gran aunt.
    I and my family know your gran aunt very well. Hope she is well.Tell her a guy in America says hello and has fond memories of her and "The Rainbow Lounge ".She is very a dear lady.Does she still have the store ?
    Does Bubbles and Donald still have the Restaurant at the top of the town?
    Having great weather here ( 100 miles North of N. Y City ) this weekend. 65 degrees today and possibly in the 70s tomorrow.
    Have you read through all the Ballybunion thread?
    I hope to be home this year PG so will give you all a visit !

• Advertisement

7000 views! a077.gif

Advertisement