Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Options
  • 09-11-2013 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭

Snappy title!

Here we go - the BBC have lots of great programmes about Music - Documentaries, Live Concerts, Top of The Pops etc. Mostly on BBC 4 but sometimes BBC 2 and BBC 1 can rock too. BBC 3 shows the odd decent festival during the Summer, so we won't leave them out

This is a thread for them all - please post any upcoming good-looking shows you see, and feel free to discuss them here too.

Lets Rock!!

BBC4 is available on Sky Channel 211, UPC Channel 117 and on Freesat.

bbc2cd.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,576 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Nice one Skid.

Nils Lofgren on bbc4 just now. Heard him on Marty in the morning on Lyric a while ago (surely his biggest claim to fame).

Great fella.

Edit: jesus, really didn't realise how good he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

BBC2 - Sat Nov 10th 9pm - Hello Quo
    Documentary examining rock band Status Quo's five-decade history, including interviews with the band, concert footage and rarely seen archive material, as well as a look at the 2012 reunion of the original line-up, performing together for the first time in more than 30 years. With contributions by Paul Weller, Brian May, Noddy Holder, Cliff Richard and Jeff Lynne

BBC2 - Sat Nov 10th 10.20pm - TOTP2 Status Quo Special
    A selection of the veteran rock 'n' roll band's performances on Top of the Pops, from their first appearance in 1968 with the psychedelic Pictures of Matchstick Men to their last in 2005 with The Party Ain't Over Yet, as well as hits including Rockin' All Over the World, Whatever You Want, Mystery Song and Living on an Island

BBC4 -Sat Nov 10th 10.45pm - Totally British 70s Rock n Roll
    A collection of archive performances by artists including Graham Parker and the Rumour, Dr Feelgood, Ducks Deluxe, Elvis Costello, the Motors, Steve Gibbons Band and Dire Straits from TV shows such as The Old Grey Whistle Test and Top of the Pops

BBC4 -Sat Nov 10th 11.45pm - Elvis Costello: Mystery Dance
    Mark Kidel directs a profile of the singer-songwriter, who began his career as part of London's pub rock scene in the early 1970s and later became associated with the the British new wave movement later that decade. The story is picked up from the star's childhood under the influence of his father, Ross McManus, a Catholic education which left a big impression on him, and his overnight success with the Attractions. The musician himself talks openly about the shaping of his career and life, and revisits the places where he grew up

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Great idea for a thread Skid!.......

Love the archive repeats of TOGWT!............:)

Thanks for the heads up!

BBC1 NI - Mon Nov 11th 10.35pm - Danny Boy: The Ballad That Bewitched the World

** also on RTE1 the same night at 9.35pm
    Documentary charting the origins and development of the song, which this year marks its 100th anniversary. The programme reveals how the ballad was created when English barrister Fred Weatherly put words to traditional melody The Londonderry Air, after which it became an anthem for First World War troops, broke into Hollywood during the 1940s, made fans of Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash, and some believe went some way to bridging the divide during the Troubles. Contributors including Gabriel Byrne, Rosanne Cash, Brian Kennedy and Barry McGuigan explain the song's enduring appeal and what it has come to symbolise

• Registered Users Posts: 71,618 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

*enters thread*

Wow, I like what you've done with the place.

And the wallpaper...with the 'Old Grey Whistle Test' logo - nice touch!

• Advertisement

*enters thread*

Cheers man, hopefully it will get a bit of momentum.

OGWT you say ... hmmm, I've about 25 hours left to edit the OP. I might do a burst of re-decoration!

Skid X wrote: »
    Cheers man, hopefully it will get a bit of momentum.

OGWT you say ... hmmm, I've about 25 hours left to edit the OP. I might do a burst of re-decoration!

Surprised to find out that 'Veronica' by Mr. Costello, despite it's still frequent airplay, only reached No.31 in the UK Singles Chart :eek:

Even with a helping hand/thumbs up from Macca!

But then again, it was 1989 - the year of Stock Aitken and Waterman :mad: :mad: :mad:

They gotta lot to answer for!

Let us never mention Stock Aitken and Waterman on this thread ever again.

Surprised to find out that 'Veronica' by Mr. Costello, despite it's still frequent airplay, only reached No.31 in the UK Singles Chart :eek:

Even with a helping hand/thumbs up from Macca!

But then again, it was 1989 - the year of Stock Aitken and Waterman :mad: :mad: :mad:

These days, I'm not even sure anymore ... how good music does so poorly in the charts.

I'll make no promises about SAW - Pete Waterman rocks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

They gotta lot to answer for!

Let us never mention Stock Aitken and Waterman on this thread ever again.

"I'd rather jack, than Fleetwood Mac"

I wonder whatever happened to The Reynolds Girls...... :rolleyes: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Agh careful this doesn't end up as a million youtube clips - Opera hates this website when its full of them - pages just freeze.

Watched the Status Quo doc on BBC2 - not a fan of Telecaster boogie but it was enjoyable fare - Alan Lancaster looks about 20 years older than Rick and Francis

• Advertisement

"I'd rather jack, than Fleetwood Mac"

I wonder whatever happened to The Reynolds Girls...... :rolleyes: ;)

One of them was in this band. And they supported Take That a few times.

But they never had Reynolds Girls levels of success :o

I love Elvis Costello but his recent stuff is shyte. He was better as an angry young man.

I love Elvis Costello but his recent stuff is shyte. He was better as an angry young man.

True enough.

I saw him in the Marquee during the Summer, really enjoyed it.

He didn't dwell on the new stuff, thank God.

He played Derry a few nights later, I'd love to have been there when he played Tramp the Dirt down. It wasn't long after Mrs T had died.

Watched a fair bit of that Elvis Costello program last night.

Didn't really do a lot for me, but it sometimes takes me a while to "get" a singer/band. Took me years to love Led Zeppelin for jesus' sake.

Anyway, since they tend to repeat shows on BBC 4, I would recommend keeping an eye out for the one on Southern Rock, the one where the Stones join Muddy Waters on stage (10/10 in my book) and the brilliant one about Lemmy, the mad b*llocks.

Here is a very poor quality video of Elvis covering 'Knowing Me, Knowing You', I love the emotion he brings to the chorus. One of many good covers he has done.

Good clip Skid.

I came dangerously close to liking an Abba song there for a minute. Reminded me of The Boss, actually.

I meanwhile have been watching Stvie Ray Vaughan and Albert King on youtube. Now that's good stuff.

Now i'm watching Howard Goodall. His recent "Story of Music" series on BBC was fantastic. Most of it is on youtube, it's the best series I've seen in a long, long time.

Elvis definitely landed on his feet with Diana Krall ;)

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Watched a fair bit of that Elvis Costello program last night.

Didn't really do a lot for me, but it sometimes takes me a while to "get" a singer/band. Took me years to love Led Zeppelin for jesus' sake.

Anyway, since they tend to repeat shows on BBC 4, I would recommend keeping an eye out for the one on Southern Rock, the one where the Stones join Muddy Waters on stage (10/10 in my book) and the brilliant one about Lemmy, the mad b*llocks.

I will keep an eye out for that one, sounds good

The Elvis C doc was decent enough, but it was too weighted to his latter career.

It's as if he wanted to prove his serious musician credentials - when nearly all his well known/good stuff came from the 70s and 80s (as Harry Angstrom said earlier)

I'd still recommend a listen to one of his Greatest Hits CD's for anyone unfamiliar with him - he has some class songs, they didn't dwell on them in that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Skid X wrote: »
    I will keep an eye out for that one, sounds good

The Elvis C doc was decent enough, but it was too weighted to his latter career.

It's as if he wanted to prove his serious musician credentials - when nearly all his well known/good stuff came from the 70s and 80s (as Harry Angstrom said earlier)

I'd still recommend a listen to one of his Greatest Hits CD's for anyone unfamiliar with him - he has some class songs, they didn't dwell on them in that show.

Yeah, i've the yellow 2cd case, i cant think of the name now, as its been that long since i listened to it, as its from all the bands he was with, its great listening to it & afaik it was €20 for it.

Also:

Later Presents... Elvis Costello in Concert

Time - 01:25 to 02:25 (1 hour long).
    When - Monday 11th November on BBC 4

Jools Holland presents a live studio performance by singer-songwriter Elvis Costello, accompanied by the Attractions, the Brodsky Quartet and a chamber-jazz septet. The set features songs from throughout his career, including classics Pump It Up and Watching the Detectives.

Coming up ...

BBC4 - Thurs Nov 14 7.30pm - Top of The Pops: 1978
    Peter Powell presents a vintage edition of the chart show from November 30, 1978, with performances by the Rezillos, Boney M, Elton John, Heatwave, Buzzcocks, Leo Sayer, Blondie, the Barron Knights, Darts, Mankind and Rod Stewart. Plus, dance sequences by Legs & Co

BBC4 - Thurs Nov 14 9pm - Britten's Endgame
    Film-maker and writer John Bridcut explores the creativity of British composer Benjamin Britten in his twilight years. In defiance of medical advice, Britten raced to complete his final opera Death in Venice, tackling an edgy subject that resonated with his own life. He was left incapacitated and prematurely frail following a heart operation in 1973 after years of stress and illness, but rediscovered his creative urge to produce two late masterpieces. Featuring performances by mezzo Sarah Connolly, tenors John Graham-Hall and Allan Clayton and cellist Xavier Phillips among others

BBC4 - Fri Nov 15 9.30pm - Paul McCartney In Concert
    As part of BBC Radio 2's In Concert series, the musician returns to BBC Maida Vale studios where he recorded 275 tracks with the Beatles between 1962 and 1965. He performs a selection of classic songs from his collection, including Eight Days a Week, Back in the USSR, Lady Madonna, Hey Jude, Band on the Run and Jet, plus other tracks from his solo career and his latest album, New

BBC4 - Fri Nov 15 10.30pm - Wings all Over The World
    Wings Over the World
    Documentary featuring footage from Wings' triumphant tour of 1975/76, following the band in the UK, Australia and the US. Concert performances showcase 15 of their greatest songs, including Jet, Maybe I'm Amazed, Silly Love Songs and Band on the Run, and there are also home movies of lead singer Paul McCartney enjoying life off stage with his family. The programme begins with the former Beatle and his wife Linda in Scotland, before recalling the gradual build-up of the group toward their heyday

BBC4 -Fri Nov 15 11.45pm - Please Please Me - Remaking a Classic
    Stereophonics, Joss Stone, Graham Coxon, Gabrielle Aplin, Chris Difford and Mick Hucknall recreate the band's 12-hour recording session at Abbey Road Studios for Please Please Me - their first album. With contributions from Burt Bacharach and Guy Chambers, as well as people who witnessed the original event 50 years ago, including engineer Richard Langham and Beatles' press officer Tony Barrow. Presented by Stuart Maconie

• Advertisement

I think the Paul McCartney concert is new ... I might tape it and skip the new songs :o.

The Please Please Me Doc is alright - the new performances are OK but some of the anecdotes about the day of the original recording are interesting. Worth recording if you like the Beatles, and you haven't seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

*enters thread*

what wallpaper - why can i not see it?
    hmmmm

Paul McCartney - will ALWAYS have the best setlist, no matter what gig he plays!

I gots da thinking - has their ever been an Irish equivalent to 'Top Of The Pops'?

Paul McCartney - will ALWAYS have the best setlist, no matter what gig he plays!

I gots da thinking - has their ever been an Irish equivalent to 'Top Of The Pops'?

Not really - there was 'Top 30 Hits' for a while but that was video based, like the Chart Show.

There was also Megamix, with Flo McSweeney and Kevin Sharkey. That was good - mainly live performances but it wasn't chart based.

Wings on now - they're only the band the Beatles might have been!

Please please me. Love that album. Always nervous about these other-people's-take-on-it efforts.

Not diggin' There's A Place.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Please please me. Love that album. Always nervous about these other-people's-take-on-it efforts.

Not diggin' There's A Place.

Yeah, it's tough asking people to do a live take of a song they don't know. But it would have been an interesting listen when it went out on Radio 2 live.

But I agree about Please please me - I love the raw sound, it's close to a live early Beatles performance. And some great covers, like 'Baby It's You' and 'Boys'.

Yeah, and i love the cheesy film tunes they did. A Taste of Honey, Anna, Till There Was You etc.

Brilliant and gas at the same time.

I dunno lads. I think the early Beatles stuff is very twee.
    They didn't become remotely interesting until Help/Rubber Soul/ Revolver.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I've been singing the "Taste of Honey" ad for the last five minutes!....

• Advertisement

I dunno lads. I think the early Beatles stuff is very twee.
    They didn't become remotely interesting until Help/Rubber Soul/ Revolver.

You're as bad as that Welsh Chap, Harry! (only joking)

I'm looking forward to their second live at the Beeb Album

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/on-air-live-at-the-bbc-volume-2-20131112

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement