Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leftovers [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Something needs to happen fast, Tom's subplot is boring the tits off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Just finished watching the latest episode. Very good episode, but in some ways it wasn't as good as last weeks.

This episode set out to remind us of superstition. There are those who believe God has forsaken those left behind, and what they do bears no consequence as to what will happen to them when they die. And yet, there is a hint of doubt about that notion. Maybe there is a God and they shouldn't tempt faith. I would like to see this being explored more and the possible break-down of society. Religion has been used to organise and control the masses for centuries, but an event like this should create a lot of debate as to whether anyone should truly care about abiding by these rules. Maybe the Guilty Remnant are the beginning of this resistance.

Would like to know why Tommy is so devoted to Wayne (apart from the verbal threat if he didn't protect Christine), maybe he did something for him?

I liked the idea of removing all existence and record of memories. I really want to know more about the G.R.'s motive and what they are ultimately trying to achieve.

Great acting from Justin Theroux in this episode, but I really enjoyed Christoper Eccelstone last week.

As for the comments on meandering, and nonsensical, I didn't struggle to comprehend what the writers are trying to show in this episode. It was a Christmas episode and they highlighted the importance of religion to the people in this world affected by the departure. Some don't care, others do, and those who don't care have doubts. As for nothing happening and it being depressing, I agree to some extent, but then I just have to point to the first season of Breaking Bad. A genius chemist, who is stuck teaching High School students who don't care, his son is ill, he feels totally unfulfilled with his life, and then develops cancer. To top it off, he won't have any money left for his family when he dies from the cancer. Then the writers spend a season with him trying to survive, while dealing with all sorts of problems before finally getting the money he needs, and then he loses it all. Down on his luck guy gets cancer, I find that to be more depressing. Rinse and repeat. I am referring to only Season 1 here.

I'll decide at the end of Season 1 as to whether or not I will continue watching.

I forgot to mention the dead bodies on the road. From what I can gather, it appears that these are dummies, prosthetic models, designed to let people who lost relatives/friends a chance to bury or say goodbye to a loved one. This would also link into the opening sequence of the manufactured baby dolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Five episodes in and i actually really like this show. The teenage side of things is annoying me i think there the weakest part of the show but everything else ive been happy enough with.

I have no issues with there being plenty of mystery for now because im actually very excited to see where there going with the group in white i forget there names! and the characters working around the main story seem to very strong.

I started on this along with Extant and its not even a contest which one id rather stick with!.

I think one of the problems this show has is because Lindelof is involved everyone will just remember how much they hated Lost!.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,493 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The latest episode was excellent

• Advertisement

Excellent episode this week. Christopher Ecclestone has a great presence and I really can't tell if he is behind the attack at the beginning of the episode. He has money, motive, and a cohort around him now, but his arguments with Kevin in the car seemed quite convincing.

Another reminder of the great problem of doubt. Not only with Laurie, but with Kevin as well. Where as Laurie seems to be doubting what she has gotten herself into, Kevin's is much more trivial as he can't find his shirts. When he finally retrieves his shirts and after discovering the hunter is, in fact, real, he finally accepts that he isn't going crazy after all - although the conversation with the agent on the phone was somewhat strange, as I am pretty sure the voice changed when discussing the possible actions that can be taken against the G.R. This also leads him to accept the fact that everything that is happening is real, and that includes the divorce with Laurie.

Interesting insight into the Guilty Remnant as well, but I still want to know what their purpose is, what is it that they want to remind everyone of? I love how the writers consistently incorporate events, snippets of information, about the greater world into each episode. The G.R. are everywhere it seems, and with no family, friends or associates, it is interesting to see how the government deals with that.

The more I watch, the more I want to watch. The show treads a fine line between intrigue and frustration. I can imagine the frustration as being central to understanding the characters on the show and their actions, but it isn't cumbersome and doesn't make me want to switch off. Instead, the intrigue keeps pulling me in further and further. Justin Theroux is an excellent leading character in this and it is his 'greyness' which makes him much more human. This episode and the episode centred around Christopher Ecclestone's character have been the best so far.

Next week's episode looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,778 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What's the deal with Aimee, apart from being a tease to the sheriff? :) She always seems to be at the house and seems to spend the night a lot.

Episode was strange in parts, like how dark the phone call got, as if he was imagining the call. Also with the shirts. Was sure it was gonna turn out to be someone else's shirts he got back, because how can the dry cleaners get away with stealing 8 of a sheriff's shirts?

Think one of the only negative things I have to say is how there seems to be a lack of follow through on things. Like look how last week's episode ended with the break ins and sealing the photos, yet there didn't seem to be any fallout. True there was a stoning but sure they always threw stones at them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

CastorTroy wrote: »
    She always seems to be at the house and seems to spend the night a lot.

I don't recall them going into her backstory yet, but possibly an unstable home life. I've known of teenagers who end up living with friends until they graduate due to toxic family dynamics. And in Leftovers the event seems to have turned the whole world about twice as crazy as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Episode was strange in parts, like how dark the phone call got, as if he was imagining the call. Also with the shirts. Was sure it was gonna turn out to be someone else's shirts he got back, because how can the dry cleaners get away with stealing 8 of a sheriff's shirts?

All I kept thinking during that dry cleaners scene was - "someone's going to steal the beer from the roof of his car".

Thankfully they didn't and we were spared the case of the missing case.

Some of the writing in this is just pure idiotic. The Chief going to see his daughter in class to tell her someone was attacked? WTF is that about? Pointless.

The white shirt fiasco, pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

The white shirt fiasco, pointless.

This programme is full of symbolism. I think the white shirt thing will be explained.

Some of the writing in this is just pure idiotic. The Chief going to see his daughter in class to tell her someone was attacked? WTF is that about? Pointless.

I kinda understood that. imagine you're sitting in class and rumours start going around that a GR has been murdered. If your mother is a member you'd start to panic. True he could've broke the news better but he wanted to let her know it wasn't her mother.

I kinda understood that. imagine you're sitting in class and rumours start going around that a GR has been murdered. If your mother is a member you'd start to panic. True he could've broke the news better but he wanted to let her know it wasn't her mother.

A call or a text message couldn't have sufficed? He has to go to the school and interrupt a class to announce this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

A call or a text message couldn't have sufficed? He has to go to the school and interrupt a class to announce this?

He has stated that he is a worrier and thats probably cause enough for him to make sure his daughter is ok and wont be distraught at the news.

The murder of the GR was hard to watch. I'd love to know who the group was, was it the teenagers?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,493 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

V good episode again last night, liking these standalone eps that exist mostly seperate to the main storyline, the reverend one another that springs to mind

Another great episode last night! I want more! MORE! :D

Promo for next week:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

KevIRL wrote: »
    V good episode again last night, liking these standalone eps that exist mostly seperate to the main storyline, the reverend one another that springs to mind

I thought this week's was terrific. Best so far.

I thought that was an excellent episode. Very strong performances!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

very good ep.i think it was the there own people(as in silk cut purple) that tied up the oul one and killed here with the rocks.

Another great episode this week and I sense we are building towards a big reveal at the end of the season. Also, a proper Irish accent! The show gets a +.5 for that alone! :D

I wonder what is in the National Geographic magazine, or if it is symbolic. Half the internet must be trying to track down that particular publication to discern any hidden messages or suggestions.

Promo for next week:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,619 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Anyone have trouble getting a stream for this week's ep? Only ones I can find seem to have spliced the wrong bits of episode with sound..

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Best show on TV at mo.
    Fantastic most recent ep

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Falthyron wrote: »
    Another great episode this week and I sense we are building towards a big reveal at the end of the season. Also, a proper Irish accent! The show gets a +.5 for that alone! :D

I wonder what is in the National Geographic magazine, or if it is symbolic. Half the internet must be trying to track down that particular publication to discern any hidden messages or suggestions.

Promo for next week:

The dog jumped up at the window and something clicked with him, then he went back to the magazine. When the dog jumped it kinda looked like the bear that was standing up on the magazine cover so maybe something related to that?

I thought it was gonna turn out that the guys with the gun on the front of the magazine was the guy hunting the dogs.

So thinking Aimee knows more than she's letting on? Or that the sheriff's blackouts involve her seeing to more than just his hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Falthyron wrote: »

That's probably just Lindelof being Lindelof, I've read a couple of theories online and it just seems like an obscure reference thrown in to antagonise or interest people.

This show has been getting better since episode 3, frankly I'm delighted they've made no attempt to tell us what happened to the 2%, and have said they have no plans to, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭johnire

This seems a great show.
    What station is this on? I'm a Sky customer.
    Thanks.

Think it starts on Sky Atlantic next month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I watched all seven episodes over the last two days.
    This show is great.

The tone is excellently set by the cast & the production team.
    It looks and feels like a town that's "just not right". I love how the town (and probably beyond), simply haven't learned to deal with it what happened.
    I'm usually a bit wary of overly spiritual storylines, but it plays out so well from the various groups, and even thought it's impossible to tell the end-games of each party (or the the show's endgame for that matter), I'm more than happy to just go along for the ride.

I enjoyed Lost, but it created a slightly annoying theory culture ("we want answers") that has latched on to way too many shows now.
    I'm far happier to sit back and watch this town & it's characters unfold in front of us without the need for every minor question answered.

Hopefully the season finishes strongly.

Episode 7 was excellent with Scott Glenn being particularly good, but the stand-out episode still remains one focused on Matt.
    Christopher Eccleston's journey in that episode was really special. The different emotions he conveyed in such a short space of time just again shows how quietly manic the whole thing is. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

I am really enjoying it too. I worried that it would annoy me but so far I don't feel like I'm being teased. Some very strong acting, Lory(sp) - an actress who I usually find irritating - has been a particular highlight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I watched all seven episodes over the last two days.
    This show is great.

The tone is excellently set by the cast & the production team.
    It looks and feels like a town that's "just not right". I love how the town (and probably beyond), simply haven't learned to deal with it what happened.
    I'm usually a bit wary of overly spiritual storylines, but it plays out so well from the various groups, and even thought it's impossible to tell the end-games of each party (or the the show's endgame for that matter), I'm more than happy to just go along for the ride.

I enjoyed Lost, but it created a slightly annoying theory culture ("we want answers") that has latched on to way too many shows now.
    I'm far happier to sit back and watch this town & it's characters unfold in front of us without the need for every minor question answered.

Hopefully the season finishes strongly.

Episode 7 was excellent with Scott Glenn being particularly good, but the stand-out episode still remains one focused on Matt.
    Christopher Eccleston's journey in that episode was really special. The different emotions he conveyed in such a short space of time just again shows how quietly manic the whole thing is. Brilliant.

Totally agree, the two best episodes have been the one that focused on Eccleston's character, and the one that focused on Nora. Last two are close 2nd.

Also agree that the rise of the internet has given birth to this 'theory culture' - people find it easier to discuss or argue about shows so their need to have answers has been magnified beyond belief.

Personally, I'm more than happy to just take the show's premise and see how it deals with the story and characters, rather than having to have it all doled out to me every week like I'm stupid.

Advertisement