Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Late Late Show/FF party political broadcast

Options
  • 22-05-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else sickened by the FF party poltical broadcast by Ryan Tub and Mary O Rourke on the Late Late last night...surely our tv licence should not be wasted on this trash

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

One more reason to watch Jonathan Ross on a Friday night. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

At least this time she didn't come out with the "My brother really won the Presidential election cos he got the most votes" stuff.
    I've heard her on about this several times on RTE and she's never been challenged by the interviewer.

Some more things we can thank Mary for:

Screwing up the LUAS system in Dublin.

Mary Coughlin as Minister for Enterprise: Mary advised Mary to go for an economics type portfolio as women get didn't promoted to them very much so Mary decided to "have a go" ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

same auld guff from her aswell (ie sad story about turning on the radio at home - i do not mean to be disrepectful there, but she said those things before in other interviews) I would be very interested in hearing her stories which she would have written if bertie did not stop her, after all 30 years in politics, yet not one real question about her time in office etc. rubbish. no hard questions, which i do believe she could have dealt with. she might give guff but she is well able to handle her interviewer.

why was she brought on? did some big movie star cancel at last minute

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

was she not on it about a year ago as well? maybe they just keep having the same guests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mary is never off the media. She is on RTE Radio one, Newstalk or Today Fm at least a few times every week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

bonzos wrote: »
    Is anyone else sickened by the FF party poltical broadcast by Ryan Tub and Mary O Rourke on the Late Late last night...surely our tv licence should not be wasted on this trash

Tubridy's brother is a FFer - is he a Councilor ?
    This probably explains why so much time was given to Bertie Ahern to make 'Personality ' appearences on RTE. Miriam O callaghan's brother is also, I think , An FFer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I wouldn't mind politicians being put through their paces.

But the level of bias shown is sickening......watch the interview with the disgraced Ahern and the incompetent Cowen versus the less-than-convincing, but far less objectionable Kenny.

Tubridy let the first two waffle and joke their way out of tough questions, while barely letting Kenny finish.

As a result I haven't watched this FF lackey on TV since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Mammy is going through life as if she had nothing to do with the FF Govt. over the past years.

Media outlets love her as she always has something to say, however the content of what she says is useless.

My personal stance is that I would totally ignore ANYTHING Mammy O'Rourke says on any media outlet as she has no standing, no power, no influence,no part in any decision making of any consequence.

She is just going through the motions waving in the breeze and the media only love her because she is always available

She don't fool the Flutther:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭flutered

even in my worst possible condition i would not watch that schite on a friday night.

anymore wrote: »
    Tubridy's brother is a FFer - is he a Councilor ?
    This probably explains why so much time was given to Bertie Ahern to make 'Personality ' appearences on RTE. Miriam O callaghan's brother is also, I think , An FFer.

Ryan's brother, Garrett, ran for FF in the Dublin City Council local elections last year - thankfully he wasn't elected.

His Facebook page is quite insightful:
    Garrett Tubridy thinks that the local elections should be about the next 5 years, not the last 10; about the candidate, not the party; about new ideas, not more-of-the-same.

Eh, right.

Also, before the election (granted, it was at least a month or two before), Ryan and Garrett both appeared on... Seoige! Shock/horror, I know. :rolleyes:

Tubridy has a lot of connections to FF, if Wikipedia is anything to go by:
    Niall Andrews, a maternal uncle, was an MEP, while another maternal uncle David Andrews was a government minister. Tubridy was educated at Blackrock College and University College Dublin, where he studied Arts. He was a member of the Kevin Barry Cumann of Fianna Fáil while in UCD and was active in the UCD Students' Union, as well as the Dun Laoghaire branch of Ógra Fianna Fáil. Two of his first cousins, Barry Andrews and Chris Andrews, currently serve as Fianna Fáil TDs, with the former Minister of State for Children in the government of Brian Cowen. His grandfather, Todd Andrews, was a prominent associate of Fianna Fáil founder Éamon de Valera and held a number of posts in semi-state companies. On the Tubridy side of the family, Ryan is the grandson of TD Seán Tubridy.

They shouldn't have any politicians on the Late Late Show - unless it's for a certain debate and, even then, all parties should be represented.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Liam Byrne wrote: »

But the level of bias shown is sickening......watch the interview with the disgraced Ahern and the incompetent Cowen versus the less-than-convincing, but far less objectionable Kenny.

Tubridy let the first two waffle and joke their way out of tough questions, while barely letting Kenny finish.

I didn't see the Bertie, but thought he was quite hard on Cowen. As for the Enda interview, it was Kenny that dug his own grave rather than it being a Paxman-esque interview.

[mod edited out the last line as it's just throwing the thread off-topic in a silly way (see later mod post), refer to me by PM for a chat if you have an issue with this - sceptre]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

RTE promoting Fianna Fail........well I never:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If we could all remember this isn't chat night at the London Palladium... the PM feature is more than available to people who want to discuss their political affiliations or mast-pinnings back and forth... it's pointless for the rest of us. I've deleted it. You might agree with the OP or not, try posting about that as it's what the thread is for (please remember that in future, one or two of you are serial off-topickers and it's easier if you remember that now rather than me reminding you formally later).

/mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

Liam Byrne wrote: »

In fairness, the interview with Bertie hardly mattered as he's already fnished.

Tubridy was equally hard on Cowen and Kenny, IMO-Cowen just came across as far better, which is saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I pray for the day when someone walks onto the Late Late show and starts calling Ryan Tubridy a censor. Well maybe not a censor but I wish someone would put him in his place and tell him that what he is doing is wrong.

Never have I seen such favortism and bias shown to people like Ryan does to FF and FG. If he's going to talk to politcal parties, either talk to them all equally or don't even bother having any political parties because he's just as bad as Fox News or Sky News, even though they are both owned by Rupert Murdoch. But all i'm saying is, I wish Ryan would stop acting like a tool and get serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

I wrote a letter to RTE a few months back to complain that i was'nt happy about the late late show being used as a party political broadcast vehicle for the FF party. I was in particular disgusted by the roasting Enda Kenny got on the show whilst Brian Cowen got a free pass even though he is in essence responsible for the sorry state of the nation.

I am still awaiting RTE's reply.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Tubridy was equally hard on Cowen and Kenny,

You must have watched Different interviews then the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭eoinbn

The Late Late show certainly needs to cut all political guest while Tubridy is presenter. I have watched about 20 minutes of the LLS in the last few months and both seemed to be pointless interviews with two 'former' FF TD's. The reason I say former is because their work in politics is over-McDaid ran because he didn't like the other FF candidate and Rourke ran because she wanted to prove that she could win the seat back after losing it in 2002. The McDaid interview was just a platform for the man to clear his good name with regard to the drink driving charge and to tell the country that he wanted FF out of office to save the party as Ireland needs a strong FF party...

In fairness, the interview with Bertie hardly mattered as he's already fnished.

He's still - allegedly - a TD (even though he seems to be off spouting ****e and "buke" signing on our time).....we're still paying him a fortune....

How is that "finished" ?

Plus he And for someone who couldn't remember where a year's salary came from, he'd just written a book!!!

Any decent interviewer would have gone to town on him for the above irony alone, not to mention the fact that his rebuke to those warning him has come to pass.

No, Ahern was allowed to answer deflect a question about signing cheques for misappropriation of charity funds by saying "eh, heh....well I never liked de shirts"
    Tubridy was equally hard on Cowen and Kenny, IMO-Cowen just came across as far better, which is saying something.

I didn't see Tubridy interrupt Cowen once. He might have been equally "hard", but he certainly wasn't as open to listening to answers, or pressing as hard for answers to the questions that the interviewee tried to avoid / re-formulate.

I will say that Cowen appeared to give straighter answers, however he avoided allocating blame to FF, which might have been the start of this recovery had he put country before party and used this as a platform to say "right lads, we ****ed up, badly, and I'm sorry; but let's get things back on track" rather than the lies that we usually hear which absolve Cowen and FF of their input.

Actually....forgive me if I'm wrong, but was this FF love-in the only live show that Cowen has participated in since the crisis started ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Tubridy strikes me as a wimp, who is afraid of losing his coveted position in Official Ireland, and of course his above healthy salary, in not creating memorable TV through grilling Ireland's corrupt and cowardly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Mister men wrote: »
    I wrote a letter to RTE a few months back to complain that i was'nt happy about the late late show being used as a party political broadcast vehicle for the FF party. I was in particular disgusted by the roasting Enda Kenny got on the show whilst Brian Cowen got a free pass even though he is in essence responsible for the sorry state of the nation.

And you will be.

No doubt you got a generic 'your comment has been passed on....' reply and other bulldust you usually get from that publicly funded establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Mister men wrote: »

last year , Paul Williams was on Tubridy Tonight, he abruptly cut Williams off when he was in the middle of an anti-FF rant

I sent in a complaint:
    “Following Paul Williams appearance on Tubridy, I would like to
    complain about Ryan abruptly changing the subject when Williams was
    criticising government policy.

It is blatantly biased and unfair that Williams could not make his
    point because Tubridy is a Fianna Fail sympathiser
    It is ironic that Williams was attempting to talk about the government
    suppressing information when he was interrupted by Ryan.

If Tubridy is going to continue censor his guests then perhaps you
    should preface his show with a “This is Party political broadcast”
    statement?

I am interested to hear your response.”

After chasing up the editorial team several times, I eventually received the following:

“Dear Mr ******

Thank you for your email in relation to Paul Williams’ appearance on Tubridy Tonight on the 11th April 2009.

All RTÉ presenters are obliged to be objective, impartial and fair in their treatment of matters of current debate. Ryan Tubridy is fully aware of his responsibility in this regard. The fact that he has a brother running for Fianna Fáil in the local elections should not influence his handling of political issues.

In regard to the interview with Paul Williams Ryan’s only concern was to keep the discussion going and not to dwell excessively on Paul Williams’ views of Government policies. Paul Williams had made his point and Ryan wanted him to move on. It was as simple as this. It had nothing whatsoever to do with any political views which Ryan might hold and certainly had nothing to do with censorship as you allege.

You claim that Ryan Tubridy is a “Fianna Fáil sympathiser”. RTÉ has no reason to believe this is true. We are aware of his family’s connections to Fianna Fáil, but we are not aware of any political views he may hold.

Yours sincerely

Series Producer
    Tubridy Tonight”

I'd say you could expect something similar.

RTE wrote: »
    All RTÉ presenters are obliged to be objective, impartial and fair in their treatment of matters of current debate. Ryan Tubridy is fully aware of his responsibility in this regard. The fact that he has a brother running for Fianna Fáil in the local elections should not influence his handling of political issues.

I love the passiveness in that entire paragraph......"obliged to be", "aware of his responsibility" and "should not".

No hint that he "was", "stuck to his responsibility" and "does not".
    RTE wrote: »
    You claim that Ryan Tubridy is a “Fianna Fáil sympathiser”. RTÉ has no reason to believe this is true. We are aware of his family’s connections to Fianna Fáil, but we are not aware of any political views he may hold.

They obviously don't watch Tubridy either! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

In fairness now political bias is hardly something Ryan brought along with him. Gaybo was partial to a bit of that himself also.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    In fairness now political bias is hardly something Ryan brought along with him. Gaybo was partial to a bit of that himself also.

Indeed, Gaybo even had part of a show practically dedicated to Brian Lenihan Sr. at the start of the 1990 presidential election campaign.

You could say he was even "rewarded" by getting his cosy little number as chair of the Road Safety Authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

In fairness to Kenny, He always came across as impartial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Poly wrote: »
    last year , Paul Williams was on Tubridy Tonight, he abruptly cut Williams off when he was in the middle of an anti-FF rant

I sent in a complaint:
    “Following Paul Williams appearance on Tubridy, I would like to
    complain about Ryan abruptly changing the subject when Williams was
    criticising government policy.

It is blatantly biased and unfair that Williams could not make his
    point because Tubridy is a Fianna Fail sympathiser
    It is ironic that Williams was attempting to talk about the government
    suppressing information when he was interrupted by Ryan.

If Tubridy is going to continue censor his guests then perhaps you
    should preface his show with a “This is Party political broadcast”
    statement?

I am interested to hear your response.”

After chasing up the editorial team several times, I eventually received the following:

“Dear Mr ******

Thank you for your email in relation to Paul Williams’ appearance on Tubridy Tonight on the 11th April 2009.

In regard to the interview with Paul Williams Ryan’s only concern was to keep the discussion going and not to dwell excessively on Paul Williams’ views of Government policies. Paul Williams had made his point and Ryan wanted him to move on. It was as simple as this. It had nothing whatsoever to do with any political views which Ryan might hold and certainly had nothing to do with censorship as you allege.

Yours sincerely

Series Producer
    Tubridy Tonight”

I'd say you could expect something similar.

What pert almost doubled the RTE licence fee ?
    RTE are still paying tribute to FF for this remarkable generosity !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

See FF= turn off the telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I thought the character assassination of Enda Kenny by Mary O'Rourke and Kenny Tubridy was disgusting. When Pat Kenny was on the show (and now on The Frontline), he was objective and you can never really tell his political opinions. Tubridy wears his FF colours on his sleeve.

And Mary O'rourke claiming that she "always speaks her mind"... she's only started speaking her mind NOW, because she knows she wont be running for office next time. Cant stand her..

• Advertisement

I thought the character assassination of Enda Kenny by Mary O'Rourke and Kenny was disgusting.

Should this be O'Rourke and Tubridy ?

Just asking, because as I said I haven't watched it since the Ahern/Cowen love-in vs Enda Kenny hatchet job fiasco.

Advertisement