Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HBO [US] Boardwalk Empire **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Michael K Williams was brilliant in his scene,and overall the episode was great. Really enjoying this show at the moment.

Love how they show what a nutter Al Capone was,that gunshot beside Jimmy's ear was mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

that irish lass has some lip on her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Great solid episode. I'm enjoying it more as the season progresses. There are now a handful of interesting story threads going on so no need for filler.

Jimmy's mom is some piece of work. Goes some way to explaining how young she is compared to Jimmy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭La frog fairy

yep, watched episode 3 last night and ....nice!!!

the gonorrhea part ..outch! felt for the guys there watching it;) the hint that he might be jimmy's dad, the black lingerie his gf wears in the shop is adorable btw ...i mean, im really liking it more and more
    like i already said, Sopranos in the 1920s!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Another great episode.More people should be watching this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

I watched episodes 3 & 4 last night, didnt enjoy them as much as the first 2 but still its quality TV and the series is moving along nicely. I love Stephen Graham as Al Capone and that scene with Chalky White and the KKK leader was brilliant, so tense and it was some monologue by Chalky, got to go and watch that again! Just looking at Wikipedia and Series 1 is down for having 12 episodes, happy days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I haven't watched ep. 4/5 as yet....really must get off my ass!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Take me back to Carrickfergus:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I haven't watched ep. 4/5 as yet

:eek: Are you okay Richard?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

Nother solid p. This is moving along nicely. Fav scene so far has be Chalkys monologue. Very well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I was expecting Nucky to beat the head off Margaret at the end as he is close to being toppled by the feds after the Paddys Day raid.
    I agree with the previous posters, another solid ep.
    Anyone know how many episodes are in this first season?

EDIT: Just checked wikipedia and its 12 eps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

SPOILER! (for richard's sake:)) i tell you one thing, when Jimmy finishes up in that opium den there's going to be some amount of blood spilled in Chicago. :eek:

up to now, he's the one thing that has been tempering AC's desire to inflict mayhem, but it looks like those days are going to be over fairly sharpish once Jimmy gets his revenge head on.

it's going to be great! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I'm surprised this show is as popular as it is. Personally I find it very poor.

I'm not even sure what the main plot thread is anymore. Something to do with murders? Either way it doesn't seem to be going anywhere interesting soon.

Buscemi is severly miscast and the rest of the cast just lack personality, with the exception of Michael K. Williams who has managed to prove that he has sufficient range as an actor to go beyond the ghetto.

The only thing I really enjoy about it so far (4 episodes in) are the tit-quotas that HBO seem determined to meet every ep.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Another fine episode, it's beginning to step up a gear now that Jimmy, I suspect, is going to turn into one nasty piece of work and will bring unholy vengence on Chicago.

Interestingly a mate of mine who is a Sopranos nut (He's watches the entire series on an infinite loop) finds this to be very slow paced and boring. It is slow-paced, but I don't want The Sopranos 1920, I want a solid TV show that keeps me hooked and this delivers in spades.

Though, having actors from The Sopranos in it doesn't help either :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Boardwalk Empire needs more Snooki

On a serious note though, I am enjoying it a lot. The pace isn't lightening speed but neither was the Wire in Season One which I feel is its closest relation rather than the Sopranos. The Sopranos didn't have an ensemble cast as such and due to this when you are focusing on one character alone it is easier to up the pace.

Up until now I haven't been enthralled with Jimmy and saw him as little more than a way to bridge Capone in to the show. Now that Jimmy is pissed off though we might see things change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

This is excellent, really enjoying it.

Mindkiller wrote: »
    my new predicition is that everyone on this thread will pretend your post didn't exist and carry on like it was never posted. ;)
    D-Generate wrote: »
    Boardwalk Empire needs more Snooki
    funny you should mention that, but the newest south park episode has a jersey shore theme. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm confused,
    Why did Nucky go and score Margaret Schroeder at the end? Didnt he know that she was the one who went to the feds about the illegal booze?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I'm confused,
    Why did Nucky go and score Margaret Schroeder at the end? Didnt he know that she was the one who went to the feds about the illegal booze?

Yes,and he knows she did it because he was ignoring her. The thing with the bread,basically just ignoring her when she tried to talk to him, he was trying to ignore the connection they have,especially after the dance at his birthday. He said he didn't like playing games,he could see what she was doing and why she did it and clearly he likes the strong type of woman,someone who won't take that kind of $hit! So he does and scores her...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm looking forward to Al Capone and Jimmy starting a war against the Irish gang.

It's going to erupt!

• Advertisement

indeed. there will be blood.

as for margaret and nucky, it's probably best to think of their relationship like a chess game (afaik, terence winter already described their relationship that way in an interview recently). if you want to get what you want against an intelligent opponent, you can't just make the obvious moves. that said, its a very dangerous game she's playing with nucky & van alden and i'm sure they have big plans for it to all come to a head soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

It's been pretty obvious since the first episode that Nucky would end up with Margaret.

well i thought so too but then he kind of ditched her in the last episode, the scene in the lobby with his brother when she brought him bread;)

The the last few mins he shows up at her door! confused...never know though, it could end up being a dream (she fancies him obviously), will see in the next episode.

I actually thought he did genuinely liked her, now if its not a "dream" scene then its clear he just want to play her due to the events earlier in the episode.

and whats the attraction for her, simply power?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

The look, feel and characters in this show are all really good but can anyone please tell me what the storyline is in it??

and whats the attraction for her, simply power?

well i dont know, i thought first episode she was that naive innocent one that was going to be swept away...but now, not sure, she might end up surprising me after all.

A bit disapppointed how quickly it happened between the 2 of them, thought its pretty obvious what is up to

Finally caught up, had a double bubble session last night so i'm upto date, good stuff all round, like i've said it's not the most exciting or action packed series but it's quality all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

Mindkiller wrote: »

I'm not even sure what the main plot thread is anymore
    . Something to do with murders? Either way it doesn't seem to be going anywhere interesting soon.

Buscemi is severly miscast and the rest of the cast just lack personality, with the exception of Michael K. Williams who has managed to prove that he has sufficient range as an actor to go beyond the ghetto.

The only thing I really enjoy about it so far (4 episodes in) are the tit-quotas that HBO seem determined to meet every ep.

:confused:

The main plot is about prohibition in the United States during the 1920's...maybe its to complicated for you to follow..:P

There are multiple stories going on, it's not one single story...it's not just about prohibition, it's about money, politics, loyality, sex, relationships + more.

• Advertisement

prescriptions for whisky, familiar eh

Advertisement