Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it Now?

• 07-11-2008 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I've decided to run sub 3 hours in the Rotterdam Marathon 2009. This will be my fourth marathon, after Dublin's 2006 (3:49), 2007 (3:31), 2008 (3:10). A little background:
    After a distinguished career in T&F when I was younger (Dublin U-15 Triple Jump Champion, total 2 entrants, and lots of disgruntled long jumpers trying to trip us on the run-up), I emigrated to New York and discovered good food, cheap beer, and smooth Virginia tobacco. The upshot of which gave me very high blood pressure, chronic back pain, and a beer gut I could rest my pint on. Sweet Jesus, they were good times!
    So when I moved back to Ireland I decided I had to get a bit fitter, and started jogging again. Coming from a family where both my parents had done the first "running boom" in the early 80's, I always had it in the back of my mind to run a marathon, and duly entered Dublin in 2006. I was still smoking for much of the training, but managed to beat 4 hours feeling good at the finish. Since then I've been bitten by the running bug, and run most days around the South Wicklow hills where I live (hence the title of this log- oh, I like Kate Bush too). There's lots of great IMRA races in those thar hills to run as well, with terrific downhills (Ballybraid!), so its not all schleppin'.
    I've run tired, fresh, through rain and wind, in sun and hail, once while drunk (not advisable), once while stoned (advisable), but always with an elemental sense of freedom that I'm a complex group of atoms traversing the Earth's curvature.
    But hey, enough of my yakkin'- let's boogie!

Fri 7th Nov 2008.
    Appropriate enough for a new blog, I ran something new tonight. 4 miles at night along trail, using a head torch for the first time. Was really impressed at how well it worked, no more uncomfortable that a sweatband, and a wide beam which picked out the trail very well. A very different type of running, in that you run hard up a hill, not being able to see where it ends, so you are constantly running in your "visible" zone, which makes the running experience very immediate. I'll certainly do the head torch again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I've decided to run sub 3 hours in the Rotterdam Marathon 2009.

Love the I'm doing it attitude, no hint of attempt or anything :D
    Fair play and best of luck, hope to be doing alot more IMRA this year myself,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Cheers Woddle, I backspaced over the word "try", cos I going there for one reason only!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I'm looking forward to reading this training log. You have a very entertaining writing style (oh yeah I might pick up some tips too:))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

+1, you'll be giving us mere "3:30 seeking" mortals some much needed inspiration I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Peckham

good stuff - another sub-3 targeter. Have you decided on a specific training plan yet?

May join you in Rotterdam for my second attempt at sub-3, although am leaning more towards Berlin at the moment.

• Advertisement

Peckham wrote: »
    good stuff - another sub-3 targeter. Have you decided on a specific training plan yet?

Definitely the P&D 70 mile/week over 18 weeks. I did the 12 week version of this for Dublin (but closer to 60 m/week tops) and was very impressed at how my times came along, over say HH intermediate which I had tried previously. Its the extra midweek milage in the P&D that gives it the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Looking forward to tracking your progress! I've a feeling that sub-3 will be my target for 2010. My doctor warned me that marathon running was addictive, but planning my races two years in advance is probably taking the biscuit!

So, have you kicked the smooth virginian entirely? I ask as I'm about 95% there myself.. Only indulging my folly when in the pub (another bad habit!).

Best of luck with the new target!

So, have you kicked the smooth virginian entirely? I ask as I'm about 95% there myself.. Only indulging my folly when in the pub (another bad habit!).

Yeah, I'm 18 months off them, and have become evangelical in my anti-smoking zeal! I stopped going to pubs because of smoking temptation. Best thing is to give them up, your running will replace nicotine cravings, breathing becomes much easier, and times start improving. I initially started running in order to give them up, it takes a while to get over the urge for a fag, but now I have no need/desire for them at all.
    I can remember when I never thought I'd say that.

Sun 9 Nov 2008

Ran a lovely course around Devils Glen in Wicklow, and the golden ambers and reds of the trees stood out well in the grey cold rain of the morning. A long and steep climb from Ashford led to the many paths in the Glen itself, and in the company of two seasoned marathoners there was good conversation in between the uphills. 7.5 miles in an hour.

Now when you run up, you must also run down, and this particular course had about 3 miles of steep downhill at the end, the sort of downhill a tall runner like myself relishes. I was able to just open up my legs and allow long strides, holding behind my partner who I sensed was pushing the pace a bit. At this rate I am normally confident I can pip someone in a sprint at the end of the hill, as my one stride would typically equal one and a half of someone with shorter legs. But as we approached a mile or so to go, any physical battle became mental, and I found myself conjuring ways to slow down- "your hamstrings are getting tight, slow down"; "this is too soon after the marathon, slow down"; "the road is wet, you might slip, slow down". I was beaten by the better runner who maintained his pace, and I came into the car park a good thirty seconds behind him.

Now this was only a training run between three friends, and I don't want to give the impression that it was mostly competitive, but I know I let something convince myself "slow down", and that mental edge is what I need to work on if I'm going under 3 in Rotterdam, so it was a valuable lesson as well as a great training run.

Well done that runner, I should have made more of my bragging rights while I still had them;)

PS On said downhill I managed 5 min/miles for a spell according to the Garmin. This was while long striding a steep descent, for a half mile or so. Haile still manages a good quarter min pace faster, on the flat, for a solid 26 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Not bad considering you're laid low since Dublin while I was back at it with speed work etc since. Great run though. The Devils Glen near Ashford is great for running if anyone is ever in the vicinity - though probably a bit muddy in parts at this time of year. Oh, and its easier to drive up and run from there rather than the 19 min or so run up the road to get there! :)

• Advertisement

Tue 11 Nov: 5 miles fartlek.

Left the Garmin at home for this, as its useless as a guide while running fartlek (unless perhaps as a HRM, which I don't use anyway). Autumn mornings on forest trails are perfect for a "speed play" session, as its all about how you feel running fast to that tree, or pushing it hard to make the crest of a hill, or sprinting to a corner, and it makes for a very enjoyable style of workout. This was my first go at striding since the marathon, and I have no kick in the legs anymore, so I'll need a few more of these type of sessions in order to get back some fast twitch muscle fibres.

Wed 12 Nov: 4 miles hill run.

Took the head torch out again, for a run up my "staple" hill, under a full moon. Not a sinner about, which made for a great run in dreamlike surroundings. The physics of running with light coming from your forehead, quickly becomes evident, and any headtorch devotees will surely recognize the need to exhale down under your chin, (so your breath doesn't fog up the light), and the bobbing head which alternately illuminates a few yards ahead, then just at your feet.

Of course, the legs still have the marathon in them, so tonight was just a run for the sake of it, but I can feel a bit of sharpness coming back.

A great evening for it. Figure I'll do the same tomorrow evening myself.

Looking forward to hill session on Sunday.

Fri 14 Nov. Hilly 4 miles, 32 mins.

Felt good on this run, feel's like the marathon has finally left my legs. Went out with the head torch again tonight, but the novelty is starting to wear off! I ran in a forest trail, up a hill, but was always in my lit "zone", so its hard to see the end of the climb, and can't really let fly on the downhills for fear of tripping. It's still better than no running at all, but I'm looking forward to daylight running this weekend!

Sun 16 Nov. 5.5 miles, hill route.

Ran on a recce of a hill at Annacurragh, which will form a race in February, http://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/581/

Its a great run, steady climb uphill for a couple of miles, loop around the top for a bit, and then a fast trail downhill for the speed merchants.

Tue 18 Nov. 5 miles fartlek.

Had intended to run 5k under 20 mins, but my Garmin gave up on its batteries after 100 meters, so I ran through the forest for 5 miles of fast/slow running. Country runners know that a far more accurate gauge of speed is DP/M, or disturbed pheasants per mile*. On my faster bursts I was up to about 5 or 6dp/m, and the quieter footfalls of my recovery runs had me only on 1dp/m.

*Of course, as the shooting season continues, there are less pheasants, and they have adapted to loud noises/gunshots/footfalls, so your dp/m will decrease. However, increasing fitness and speed will somewhat mitigate this lessening number. Pfitzinger devotes several chapters to DP/M, while Higdon favours a Shrieking Pedestrian per Miles figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Tue 18 Nov. 5 miles fartlek.

Had intended to run 5k under 20 mins, but my Garmin gave up on its batteries after 100 meters, so I ran through the forest for 5 miles of fast/slow running. Country runners know that a far more accurate gauge of speed is DP/M, or disturbed pheasants per mile*. On my faster bursts I was up to about 5 or 6dp/m, and the quieter footfalls of my recovery runs had me only on 1dp/m.

*Of course, as the shooting season continues, there are less pheasants, and they have adapted to loud noises/gunshots/footfalls, so your dp/m will decrease. However, increasing fitness and speed will somewhat mitigate this lessening number. Pfitzinger devotes several chapters to DP/M, while Higdon favours a Shrieking Pedestrian per Miles figure.

:D:D

Thurs 21 Nov. 4 miles trail run.

Nice'n'easy, hill session tomorrow. Signed up for the Aware 10k today, want to go under 40 mins, should be well capable of that.

Fri 22 Nov.

Ran 7x200m reps up a steep hill, at pretty much 95% effort. I wasn't looking forward to this, didn't enjoy doing it, and am very glad its over! It was my first "speed" session since the DM, and it hurt like I was going to hurl at the end of each rep- you know that sicky feeling in your gut? Still, its done now, and I'll get in a few more to up my speedwork before the Aware 10k.

Sat 22 Nov

7 miles or so around Marlay Park in Dublin. The legs felt good after last nights hills, Passed a very cute girl three times on my three laps, but wasn't wearing my HRM so still don't know my maximum heart rate, :D.

• Advertisement

Sun 23 Nov

Almost 7 miles in 52 mins around Avondale forest in Rathdrum. This was my first time running the trails here, a little soft underfoot in places, but a great place for training. No wonder Bill Porter is so enthusiastic all the time.

Mon 24 Nov. Rest.

Tue 25 Nov. 10k in 42m43s. Ran a hilly (250m climb) course on a great frosty morning, and was pleased enough with that time, considering I lost about a minute and a half on one especially hilly mile. I should be able to shave another 20 seconds or so from my pace per mile during the 10k race itself, so this run leaves me pretty confident I'll soon go under 40 mins for the first time. Need to do more 400m strides and 200m hill sprints, I could do with a bit more spring in my step. As ever, the hardest mile in a 10k was the fourth one, if you don't feel like pulling out during this mile you're not going fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You beat my Sunday 10k time by 3 seconds! (albeit with lots of extra hills). Sounds like you'll fly past the finish line in less than 40 mins. Think I'll have to try for sub 40 early next year.

Fri 28 Nov

13.75 miles in 1:52, 940m ascent. Personal stuff and work stopped me getting out for the last two days, so I was itching for a run on this very frosty morning. I should really be doing speedwork, but I haven't managed to get nearly enough of this done since the DM, so I figure its a bit late now, with the Aware 10k just a week away. Ended up doing a steady run up some hill trails round me place, and got rewarded with great views all around. You can't beat the Wicklow hillscape on a cold, frosty morning: stunning views from Annagh hill towards Lug and over to Mt. Leinster.

The run felt good, the first "long" run since the DM, and I kept a nice pace, excepting some very steep climbs.

Sat 29 Nov.

5 mile forest trail run, fairly sharpish. As a number of other loggers have testified, todays freezing temperatures are the ideal tonic to any winter blues. If you could bottle that cold sharp air and sell it...

I did my run at dusk, not a sinner around, and the puddles on the trails starting to freeze again. It is magical running in these conditions, what a perfect day. Now to put on a blazing fire, give the kids pizza and put them to bed early, open a bottle of wine, and feed the wife chocolate:)

:D:D:D

Tue 2nd Dec

2.5 miles fast through the forest, using headtorch. Work stopped me getting out for the past two days, and just managed to squeeze this run in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Sat 29 Nov.

5 mile forest trail run, fairly sharpish. As a number of other loggers have testified, todays freezing temperatures are the ideal tonic to any winter blues. If you could bottle that cold sharp air and sell it...

I did my run at dusk, not a sinner around, and the puddles on the trails starting to freeze again. It is magical running in these conditions, what a perfect day. Now to put on a blazing fire, give the kids pizza and put them to bed early, open a bottle of wine, and feed the wife chocolate:)

nice one...

Thurs 4th Dec

3 miles easy along forest trail. Haven't felt great this past few days, and sure enough developed a bad stitch during this light run. My training has been carp this week too, so I'll just have to go for it and hope I go under 40 in the Aware 10k on Saturday. It'd cap a great running year with a pb, but I won't be too disappointed if I miss out. Good luck to all running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Breaking 40 mins for 10k is one of my targets for 2009 also.
    What is your current PB ?
    Mine is 41:10 ...so i have a bit to do
    Best of luck,i look forward to hearing your time.

Advertisement