Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G/HSPA Routers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 westerneyes

Thanks for your help Jim. I set APN to ireland and open.ireland at various attempts to connect. Neither facilitated the jump to the outside world.

Pat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jimbuckleybarre

Hi,

Here's a list of APN for O2 and other Irish networks.

http://3g-router.ie/2009/02/whats-my-apn/

APN for O2 is open.internet

Jim

Forgive my apparent stupidity but I did use 'internet' and 'open.internet' and not the above.

Pat

Well, all I can suggest is that you run the wizard on the router again and test it. If it doesn't work upgrade the router to the latest firmware if you haven't already. Try it again, after that I would suggest returning the router and getting your money back.

I favour the Dovado router because bar that it works, it has built in software that reboots the modems and if required itself if the 3G connection is lost. I found with other routers I had to do the reboot myself or physical turn off the router to do it. Not much good for me when the router is in the attic.

Another good site for support if http://www.protonic.com, you have to sign up for free but they wouldn't spam or sell your email address. I do support there myself and it's a trustworthy site.

Jim

Thanks for sticking with it and all your good advice.
    Router on way back.

Regards Pat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭mcw92

i have a vodafone 3g pay monthly broadband modem.
    it is the model, HUAWEI K3520.
    i currently have it set up on my macbook, whilst sharing it out through wifi.
    i have the ps3, ipod touch, sisters netbook and brothers samsung jet all able to connect to it easily.:)
    but to do this it requires me to leave my macbook it the same spot(for best coverage) all day long, which i am not to happy about.
    i was wondering is their any router i could get that would share the 3g broadband around the house as wifi(the same as my macbook does) and be able to connect multiple devices to it at once(all listed above and more)?
    there could be up to 5 devices accessing the wifi at once sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Read the sticky at the top of the forum. It covers all the routers around. :)

I have a Edimax 3g-6200n which I got from Amazon and it's working well

• Registered Users Posts: 17 em09

hi, can anybody tell me if i had one of these wireless router and my o2 3g mobile modem could i connect to my ps3 and play online gaming??

You could try Edimax 3g-6200n or Dovado routers. All should work fine with any wireless or wired network.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rivermist

hi
    i saw your post trying to solve a problem im having, i use 3g vodaphone stick and its constantly dropping out and requiring a pc reboot to come back i have it set to connect automatically but it does not. did your router work for you in the end and does it automatically try to reconnect the dongle in the software as thats my problem with the stick i feel and vodaphone are just not able to help me
    thanks
    can you reply direct to rivermistmedia@gmail.com

• Advertisement

hi jim

do you know of a router that automatically tries to reestablish the 3g signal from vodaphone if it drops out . i have a pc that i need to dial into remotely (miles away) and when the signal drops out it requires me to go there and rebooth the pc before the system will again try for the 3g it is set to automatically connect but most of the time it seems to sit there and wont connect or say 'no device' i have changed the dongle and vodaphone simply say the donge is designed to automatically disconnect after 24 hours
    can you help
    john

Hi,

Yes the Dovado did automatically reboot the modem and itself if required. It's more costly then the others but none of the others had this ability. As I'm on the edge of the 3G coverage I had to put the router in the attic to get the best signal, I couldn't be going up there rebooting it each time it dropped connection.

http://www.commsoft.ie/shop/dovado.php

Jim

hi jim
    i just spoke to gerry in clare and he was very helpful i think it will solve it
    many many thanks
    john

Hi John,

Gerry was extremely helpful to me as well. Found him very professional.

Also I found it useful to register for the latest firmware releases to keep the device up to date. http://www.dovado.com/UMR_Firmware.html

Jim

its by each other we live jim thanks again
    john

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

This maybe of use to people trying to get a Netgear MBR624GU router working.

mbr624gu_diagram1.jpg

mbr624gu_diagram2_2.jpg

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/3GMobileBroadband/MBR624GU.aspx

Using it as a quick remote site Lan setup !

My working Settings are:

Working using a Huawei k3520 from Vodafone (K3675 will not work!)

username: vodafone
    password: vodafone
    country (I had to use UK - no Ireland option)
    vodafone(contract)
    apn: hs.vodafone.ie
    access no.: *99*1#
    PIN: 0000
    PDP type: IP

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

What wireless router works best with a 3 E122 modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Bought this last week:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-3G-6200N-nLite-Broadband-Router/dp/B002GNHOCQ

Using E160g modem on Three. Easy setup, just plug it all in, runthe cd wizard. I did need to uninstall the modem software and connection from my pc to get it working. Very happy with it so far. 58 euro delivered in 3 days, could have been even cheaper if I didnt go for quick delivery.

Using a wired connection to my ps3 to play Fifa10 online and Ive had no problems with Fifa online so far. I have noticed the internet connection not being available when first connecting and its taken a few resets to get around it. Still trying to work out what is causing that. Other than that, very happy with this purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

I have the three E122 modem, and wondered if this router would work to share out my connection:
    ebay link

Anyone used or heard about them?

It's either this Solwise 3G router, or a copy of it
    http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-routers-3g11nmrw.htm
    3gnmrw-psu-attached-small.gif

There is no way of knowing what modems it supports unless you
    * ask the seller
    * Seller is honest
    * Seller checks setup web page in the Router.

You are better buying a "branded" router with known list of Modems.

The Solwise one has been out a long time and earlier in this thread.

Another cheap one is Edimax.

Dovado isn't cheap, but has good support.

Netgear, Cisco/Linksys and Dlink also. Dlink can be good or bad depending on model.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

watty wrote: »
    It's either this Solwise 3G router, or a copy of it
    http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-routers-3g11nmrw.htm
    3gnmrw-psu-attached-small.gif

There is no way of knowing what modems it supports unless you
    * ask the seller
    * Seller is honest
    * Seller checks setup web page in the Router.

You are better buying a "branded" router with known list of Modems.

The Solwise one has been out a long time and earlier in this thread.

Another cheap one is Edimax.

Dovado isn't cheap, but has good support.

Netgear, Cisco/Linksys and Dlink also. Dlink can be good or bad depending on model.
    cheers for the response watty. Here's the exact model's website:
    http://www.sapido.com.tw/EN/productrb1132o_35g.htm
    and heres a list of supported modems from the FAQ:
    http://www.sapido.com.tw/EN/faq/solution-210.htm

the E122 isnt listed there, so I guess I might as well return it, and try out one of those you mention that does support the E122.

For now, when I connect the modem into the router, the blue light just flashes and never goes constant. I can connect to the router no bother, but no connection onwards from the router. Ive been through the set-up a few times and I think I have everything configured right (APN etc), so I think I'll give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Watty, or anyone else with knowledge:
    Can anyone suggest a router that has circuitry so when the USB 3G stick crashes or gets itself into an unstable state where internet access fails, it can power cycle the USB device?

Or should I start looking for a PCMICA modem and router?

Thanks!

PCMCIA's are not going to help.

Ask the Dovado folks what theirs does.

Also if you get a router that can run OpenWRT (or dedicate an Linux Netbook as a Router) its possible to reinitalise (but not power cycle). Onnly some models take OpenWRT and the list of supported USB modems is then the OpenWRT list, not the Manufactuer's firmware list.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

watty wrote: »
    PCMCIA's are not going to help.

Ask the Dovado folks what theirs does.

Also if you get a router that can run OpenWRT (or dedicate an Linux Netbook as a Router) its possible to reinitalise (but not power cycle). Onnly some models take OpenWRT and the list of supported USB modems is then the OpenWRT list, not the Manufactuer's firmware list.

Thanks for the tip.
    Sadly what I have is a common problem and still one that nobody seems (I really hope I'm wrong) to have engineered circuitry to deal with.

From http://www.dovado.com/3GN_Support.html#routerdrop
    When a USB modem's internal chipset causes itself to "crash" during operation, then all of its interfaces with the router will disconnect, and the router will lose its ability to reinitialize the USB modem.

The router will not be able to remedy the issue until a repowering of the router has taken place. Unfortunately, a soft restart won't repower the USB modem that has suspended in operation.

And I have to power cycle the Dovado far too often.

I was really really hoping somebody would know of a device that had the circuitry to power cycle as all Huawei devices I've owned crash at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

I'm looking to get a 3G/ADSL router combo which will works with both 3G alone and with ADSL with the 3G as an Auto-Backup. I'm based in Portugal so some of the devices mentioned above wouldn't be viable here I think. My 3G dongle is an Huawei E1750.

Two 3g Routers which list my device as compatible that I was consdiering are
    the Billion bipac 740NX http://www.billion.uk.com/product/3g/7402nx.htm. I read it needs to have an active ADSL connection to set up which is a bit of a pain seeing as I don't have one at present but will do a few months down the line.

I was also considering the much cheaper Zoom Model 4501 3G Wireless-N Desktop Router http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/wireless-routers/275743/zoom-model-4501-3g-wireless-n-desktop-router but that doesn't have an inbuilt ADSL modem, though this mightn't be a problem as I could possibly make use of my existing ADSL modem as according to its Amazon description "You can even plug the Router into the Ethernet port of an ADSL modem or cable modem so your 3G USB modem provides backup to your wired Internet connection."

Would any of you gurus recommend either of those 2 or perhaps a better alternative?
    Thansk for any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Just to give my two cents.. On the advice given here, I bought an

Edimax nLite 3G-6200n router
    741127787_125.jpg

from Peats (Newbridge) for 79 euros. Brought it home, hooked it up with LAN cable and my Huawei E160G (I'm on the 20 euro a month package with Three). Hopped on to the router (192.168.2.1) and configured the WAN | 3G/3.5G settings to the following:

edimax_nlite_3g_6200n_settings.jpg

3G Internet came up straight away, and I could see the IP address / subnet mask etc etc of the Three network (indicating it had connected)..

Very easy setup, very cheap, nice looking router. So far, so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Lads I have a three mobile dongle and a meteor mobile dongle. I want to be sure that both these dongles will work with the router.

I need a signal strong enough to get through 2 cardboard apartment walls and about 10metres distance, which one i best? Am looking at the Edimax 6100 and Zoom 3g Wireless initally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

HI all,

trying to setup a 3g router "sapido sb-1132" with o2 broadband router "sierra compass 888"

I put the following settings into the router

3g HSPDA......
    pin XXXX
    APN open.internet
    username gprs
    password gprs
    phone number *09#

it looks like the router is not talking to the modem. The power symbol on the router blinks orange. it should go blue to connect AFIK,

Any ideas?

Advertisement