Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saorview/Freeview Box

Options
  • 20-10-2014 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭

Sky needs to go, so need to get a freeview/saorview box. If any have both the Irish and UK channels that would be perfect

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cs2

As far as I know if you the box is yours already. It's just a case of taking out the card and rebooting it to freeview. Just Google the details about it. that means you don't have to buy a box

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sky needs to go, so need to get a freeview/saorview box. If any have both the Irish and UK channels that would be perfect
    You're probably better off asking in the satellite forum where the regulars would have an idea on the best deals possibly.

I assume its a freesat/saorview combi box you're after as freeview is the UK terrestrial service that is picked up via an aerial. Do you also require a box that can record?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Assuming no saorview on your current tv:

best place to get a combo box online I have found is satworld.ie (no vested interest) I've bought from them before and found them good for price and advice.
    You'll get a basic one that does both saorview and freesat for about 50 euro.

(Its worth considering one of the amiko boxes though for an extra 20 or 30 euro there - they are alot nicer to use and have some bells and whistles)

The other alternative is to get a tv with a satellite tuner and saorview - powercity stock a good few models with both - and your saving enough in a year anyhow by cancelling sky. That soln means no box at all. About 250 for a walker 32 inch with a satellite connection (DVB-Sat) and a soarview (DVB-T) tuner.

Worst possible combination is a sky box without a card and a straight saorview box - as you are switching between 3 remote controls. - However you can get one on satworld for about 30 euro - (or adverts if you look there) - thats the budget option.

hope this helps !

Advertisement