Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Add persistence to a LiveUSB

• 29-09-2014 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

My Grandad's Windows 7 laptop met an untimely demise when it's hard drive gave up the ghost recently.

My bro installed Zorin Linux on a LiveUSB which my Grandad seemed to like, barring the minor problem that he's got to manually add his WiFi password/key every time the laptop boots up.

My knowledge of Linux is fairly limited, but in the interest of making thigs as easy as possible for him, I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's a handy way to add persistence to a LiveUSB distro after it's been installed to a flash drive? (I basically want to have the WiFi key already stored for him when he opens up the laptop.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

It might not be easy on an existing live usb stick

But I do know this windows live usb creator app has an option to enable persistence as you make your live usb.

Might help :)

11ru5fs.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Player 2 wrote: »
    My Grandad's Windows 7 laptop met an untimely demise when it's hard drive gave up the ghost recently.

My bro installed Zorin Linux on a LiveUSB which my Grandad seemed to like, barring the minor problem that he's got to manually add his WiFi password/key every time the laptop boots up.

My knowledge of Linux is fairly limited, but in the interest of making thigs as easy as possible for him, I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's a handy way to add persistence to a LiveUSB distro after it's been installed to a flash drive? (I basically want to have the WiFi key already stored for him when he opens up the laptop.)

I have not used Zorin so cannot say directly, but for those I have used it is a simple matter to do so.

Slax does it by default, but it easy turn off in the boot codes.

PCLinuxOS provides two separate boot options, one for persistence and another for 'standard' (original ISO) booting.

Maybe there is something similar for Zorin ..... if so it should be on their forum/wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Player 2

Thanks Stuxnet / Johnboy1951

I'd been trying to avoid re-downloading the iso again as his internet connection is about as slow as I am! Some browsing / messing about brought me to re-partitioning the existing USB, formatting a new partition to casper-rw format, and then....giving up.

I'll follow your advice and download an ISO again at home, then try the above; thanks for the help!

(Followed by pursuing some more Linux studies perhaps! I like the look of that LPIC 101 thread...)

Advertisement