Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SELECT DBMS WHERE DBMS = "the best"

Options
  • 03-04-2007 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

HI all,

I'm looking for the best (free) dbms for use with java.
    Also it needs to be quick and easy to set up (im new to db's as u may have guessed ) . I dont need to hold a very large amount of info as it's just for a prototype i'm working on .
    Thanks in advance !

p.s. has anyone ever used jfreechart ??

-Elfman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Best free DBMS for me is MySQL. You can get a free JDBC class for it.

A lot of people like PostGreSQL too, but I don't know what kind of Java support there is for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

MySQL or Oracle XE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

MySql for support and works well with java

PostGreSQL if you want full outer joins(never used it so cant really vouch for it)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'd go with mysql too, easy to handle with Java...

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Elfman

Thanks guy think we have a winner !!

cheers again
    -Elfman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Just on the whole MySQL thing....

How close to ANSI-standard is its syntax?

While no two DBs are ever quite the same, I found I could quickly apply my MSSQL-learned skills to Oracle & DB2.

On the other hand, every time I look at some MySQL stuff, beyond the trivial, I have this feeling that its way different. Not better or worse...just way different. I also don't know how applicable it is to current implementations of the thing, but I've also heard so many responses to suggestions of generic ways to solve problems with "Oh, MySQL doesn't support <feature> yet"...stuff I would have thought was critical, like correlated sub-queries.

Advertisement