Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oracle and IIS

• 25-06-2015 10:47am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if the quote is somewhat off. So I've spent the last day or two trying to tackle the issue below. Currently running a site developed in ASP on Windows 2008 with IIS 7. I've gone to the bother of installing Oracle Client 11. I've since tested the site and I am still getting the issue below.

I know I'm missing something. Oracle Client has been tested and connects to the DB as expected, but I'm gathering there's something between the Oracle Client and IIS that must need to be configured. I've researched the issue on Google first, but I'm still no closer to a solution. Any help would be appreciated.
    Server Error in '/' Application.

System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif] Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Exception: System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
    Stack Trace:

[Exception: System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.] System.Data.OracleClient.OCI.DetermineClientVersion() +420621 System.Data.OracleClient.OracleInternalConnection.OpenOnLocalTransaction(String userName, String password, String serverName, Boolean integratedSecurity, Boolean unicode, Boolean omitOracleConnectionName) +48 System.Data.OracleClient.OracleInternalConnection..ctor(OracleConnectionString connectionOptions) +145 System.Data.OracleClient.OracleConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject) +58 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +49 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject) +412731 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject) +91 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject) +1901 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +89 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +240074 System.Data.OracleClient.OracleConnection.Open() +48 HP.Mapbase.Data.clsDAL.GetDataTable(String strSQLQuery) +267 DataBase_Mandrel_ID.ProcessMandrelID(String MandrelID) +74 System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +155 System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3804
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.34249 [/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

https://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2009/06/16/microsoft-kills-oracle-data-provider-for-adonet.aspx

It looks like you're running code which relies on the System.Data.OracleClient library provided by Microsoft, which is deprecated now.

What's most likely happened is that this library is not compatible with the latest version of the Oracle Client Software you've installed on the server.

Two options would appear to be:

1. Try and find an older version of the Oracle client which is both compatible with the Oracle server version you're on, and the .NET framework you're using.

2. Get the developer to rewrite the code to use a more up-to-date library for talking to Oracle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Thanks Seamus. I'll go down the code route first, since I'm the one responsible for it.

Advertisement