Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

bk wrote: »
    You may have forgotten, but when the Luas was being planned, the newspapers were full of articles saying that it was going to be a white elephant, cost overruns, wouldn't be used and add to that screams from the cities business leaders :rolleyes:
    Just a bit young to have read the articles at the time ;) but I'm aware of the opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

bk,

I disagree with "people" not being in favour of the Luas. Most people knew the city's PT was in bits. Anyone who had ever used the DART would've been in support of the Luas.

The general public are not lazy journalists looking to fill their day's copy nor are they the short-sighed city's business "leaders".

The green line was stopped at SSG by FF caving in to a small group of wealthy people, not due to popular demand.

People will gripe about the state of the city while the works go on but that's hardly surprising. Who likes their city looking like crap? However most understand you have to break a few eggs....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I disagree with "people" not being in favour of the Luas. Most people knew the city's PT was in bits. Anyone who had ever used the DART would've been in support of the Luas.

The general public are not lazy journalists looking to fill their day's copy nor are they the short-sighed city's business "leaders".

The green line was stopped at SSG by FF caving in to a small group of wealthy people, not due to popular demand.

I think you aren't really remembering well. Radio shows at the time were full of "ordinary joes" complaining about hundreds of millions being wasted on Luas.

Of course they didn't represent everyone, however I think the reality at the time is that the public in general was at best lukewarm about the Luas and not at all convinced it would be successful. That is how FF got away with scaling back the Luas at the time. FF are a highly populist party, there is no way they would have scaled it back at the time had it strong and widespread public support.

Since the Luas was built it has been massively successfully and the public now really love it. Which is why all Luas projects since have faced little or no opposition and those wealthy individuals no longer have the power to stop it *

* Though they are still there and still powerful as you have seen with them successfully reversing the cars ban from the quays, at least temporarily.

It is interesting to note that Metro North hasn't really received the same strong opposition as Luas did in it's day. Of course some people will call MN a white elephant and I think the public are still a little weary of it, however now if lazy journalists write lazy articles about MN being a white elephant, they now know they will get a barrage of comments along the lines of "didn't you say the same about the Luas, look how that worked out".

I believe the Luas has really changed public perception of big expensive public transport projects for the better. I honestly don't believe Metro North or DART underground would ever get built without Luas first having been built and proven the concept to the public.

Yes it is frustrating for more forward thinking people that this isn't happening faster, but this is unfortunately the reality of a relatively conservative mindset that is slowly changing for the better IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

marno21 wrote: »
    Metro South is just the conversion of the Luas Green Line south of Ranelagh to Metro given its high standard of separation. It'll probably happen in conjunction with Metro North

Marno, I've been trying to find confirmation that this is the plan but can't. Have you seen any?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

spacetweek wrote: »
    Marno, I've been trying to find confirmation that this is the plan but can't. Have you seen any?

Well "the plan" is being drawn up at the moment and isn't complete yet, so nothing to point too. But various comments from folks involved seem to indicate it isn't becoming part of the "new plan".

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0406/779897-dublin-transport-plans/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Well "the plan" is being drawn up at the moment and isn't complete yet, so nothing to point too. But various comments from folks involved seem to indicate it isn't becoming part of the "new plan".

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0406/779897-dublin-transport-plans/

Any guesses as to what will happen the green line north of the "Metro South" portal i.e. Beechwood / Ranelagh / Charlemont to Broombridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I've no doubt that the planners knew that Luas was going to be a massive success and it would open overcapacity, just like most of us on this forum did. However the people of Ireland were not convinced ... neither were the politicians.

My mother worked with a guy who had been involved in the design of first stages of the M50 - including the original Red Cow interchange :eek:

He had to put up with some amount of abuse - 'how could they have planned it so badly' 'whoever designed the junctions should be hung drawn and quartered'.

He frequently pointed out that they knew it wouldn't work, told everyone it wouldn't work, but when they showed how much it would cost to provide free flow junctions the politicians point blank refused to countenance spending that sort of money.

Never mind that they spent multiples of that amount to fix the mistakes after the fact - it just wouldn't have gotten built if they tried to do it right first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Jaggo

My mother worked with a guy who had been involved in the design of first stages of the M50 - including the original Red Cow interchange :eek:

Do you know when this was?

I was just wondering about the timeline for the M50. I have seen the alignment plans for the southern cross part of the M50 had been agreed pre 1972 and I know that by 1959 Dublin City Council had information that the Orbital motorway was going to be implemented. Do you know when the plans for the Western Parkway would have been completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

spacetweek wrote: »

https://www.kildarestreet.com/committees/?id=2017-03-22a.9

In the above link from an Oireachtas meeting on the Capital Plan review, Michael Nolan of TII says that the location of the tie-in with the green line south of the city centre is one of the issues that need to be teased out in relation to MN. He is basically implying that metro north and metro south will be done as the one combined project.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/metrostyle-green-line-upgrade-to-add-capacity-35425965.html

In this second link, the NTA's Anne Graham is interviewed, and it is mentioned that the NTA "is also considering scrapping a number of stops around O'Connell Street, and redesigning the system to take in the existing Luas Green Line."

Yes, the current overcrowding issues on the green line will be solved by the introduction of the 54m trams, however by the time MN opens in 2027 (if they don't go with the sensible original one), there will be more offices in Sandyford, Central Park will be fully developed, more houses will be built in Ballyogan, the Carrickmines shopping centre will be fully developed, and not least to mention that the huge Cherrywood development will be complete and there will be thousands of apartments there and also a large shopping centre.

She says it herself: "The environment has changed," NTA chief executive Anne Graham said. "There's new development plans on the route.
    "We're looking to see how Metro North would tie in with the Green Line. We think we need that level of capacity with (long-term) housing plans for Cherrywood, Sandyford and Fassaroe (in Wicklow)."

I feel though that a lot has to be done for Metro South. Up to Sandyford, the removal is required of the Stillorgan, Milltown and Beechwood crossings and a tie-in to MN needs to be sorted. The Stillorgan one would easily be eliminated by a bridge or underpass, with the stop either under or over the road, depending on the chosen option. Milltown and Beechwood, the roads just need to be closed. Quite straightforward.

South of Sandyford, the bridge at Blackthorn Avenue with the ramp is too tight a curve for metro trams- 60m or 90m. It is a very tight 90 degrees curve. The Luas has to go at less than 10 km/h around that curve, and this cant be done when they are proposing 30 tph on the line. Too slow. It also interacts with traffic here. A tunnel under Central Park with an underground station would fix this-it is possible, and there is room to do it. A straighter viaduct through Central Park also would do the trick here. Both evaluated when Luas Line B1 was being planned. Ruled out on cost grounds, but would have shaved 3 min or so off journey times. See page 13 of the EIS here: http://www.tii.ie/tii-library/railway-orders/luas-line-b1/Volume%201.pdf and also page 10 here: http://www.tii.ie/tii-library/railway-orders/luas-line-b1/Non%20Technical%20Summary.pdf

Between Glencairn and Ballyogan Wood, the line would need to be put into a retained open cutting or a cut and cover tunnel in order to segregate it from traffic at the entrances to housing estates and also increase the speed limits on that part of the line.

Really, the problem lies in the fact that south of Sandyford, the green line stupidly was not built to cater for metro trains to run on the line in the future. The speed limit varies from 50 kph to 10 kph to 40 kph. Rarely is a full 70 kph capable south of Sandyford as the infrastructure stupidly was not built for it. Full 70 kph speeds are capable between Charlemont and Sandyford. Too many road crossings also.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Jaggo wrote: »
    Do you know when this was?

I couldn't be sure, but at a guess I would assume it was in the late eighties when the detailed designs prior to actually building it were drawn up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Reading that indo article again (like I did in Feb) just made my blood boil.

It still makes me seethe that the tunneling option starting at Heuston rather than Inchicore is being considered on top of the the fact that we NEED to upgrade the green line.

Has an alternative route not been considered to tie in with MN and leave the Green Line alone. Perhaps interchange somewhere else rather than teh obsession with SSG.

I was only thinking of the murder it will cause to tunnel under SSG and lead to its closure for years when I waswalking through it today. We can open a portal else where and may supply another part of Dublin with some rail based transport options.

I Think the SE corridor is probably well-served for the moment.

The way that those who make these decisions seem to be so "farsighted" with the SE of Dublin and yet the likes of DU which would open up the Western part of the city can be dropped with little thought is so infuriating.

Just bear it in mind that is MS does go ahead we will have had

The original Green Line.
    Green Line Extension
    Upgade of Green Line Platforms
    Cross City
    And then MN

All to serve the same bloody area! Meanwhile you can't get a train from Lucan to the centre of the city or a Dart from Maynooth despite these being planned well in advance of MN

And this ignores the bus services and Dart. on the Stillorgan-Blackrock Corridor

It beggars belief. Then you remember where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The Green Line should be left alone. Metro South should go through Harold's Cross, Terenure, Rathfarnham and then swing out to Knocklyon. All are areas with shocking public transport. Giving those on the green line a slightly better transport option to what they currently have is ridiculous, when other areas badly need investment.

In fairness it is much easier and cheaper to upgrade infrastructure that is already there and was at least somewhat designed from the start with upgrades in mind (ALWAYS a good idea).

See longer DART platforms, 8 carriage DARTS, signalling upgrades, DART every 10 minutes as other examples.

Much easier and cheaper to add extra capacity that way then building to a completely new location.

I know that isn't "fair", but also it wouldn't make sense not to take advantage of such easy upgrades either if the demand is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

Chivito550 wrote: »
    The Green Line should be left alone. Metro South should go through Harold's Cross, Terenure, Rathfarnham and then swing out to Knocklyon. All are areas with shocking public transport. Giving those on the green line a slightly better transport option to what they currently have is ridiculous, when other areas badly need investment.

As a Ballyboden/ Knocklyon resident myself, the lack of decent public transport along the Knocklyon, Rathfarnham, Terenure and Harold's Cross Corridor is crazy. Of course, all the NTA could do was propose the stupid Swiftway BRT scheme which will make absolutely no difference to journey times. I used to get the bus straight into the city centre for work. Now I get a bus to Dundrum and hop on the Green Line as its much much faster.

Ideally, I would like to see Dublin with 5 metro lines:

1. Metro North (original scheme), extended to Donabate, down the Green Line to Bray. Fully segregated alignment.

2. A line from Firhouse via Knocklyon, Ballyboden, Rathfarnham, Terenure, Harold's Cross via city centre to Clare Hall, along route of proposed BRT scheme. Underground from Knocklyon to Artane, and then segregated at grade/elevated to Clare Hall.

3. Metro West, but with full grade separation by use of cuttings/viaducts.

4. A line from Cabinteely up the N11/ Stillorgan Road, on a viaduct in the median of the Stillorgan Road. May require bus lane removal. This is one of the busiest bus corridors in the country. Include a stop at UCD. Underground from Donnybrook, and surface at Broadstone, use LCC alignment, and then underground through Finglas to terminate at Charlestown where interchange with Metro West possible.

5. Convert Luas Red Line to metro. Remove all road crossings with underpasses/bridges. Underground after Fatima, and onwards to Poolbeg. Spur off this line along the N4 to serve Lucan. Much faster route to Lucan than previously proposed on-street running Luas line.

Essentially gets rid of the Luas service, and now all lines are metro lines. Serves most major transport corridors into city.

Of course, the majority of this will never happen.......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Saying that in retrospect is all fine and good but it ignores the public and political opinion at the time.

I've no doubt that the planners knew that Luas was going to be a massive success and it would open overcapacity, just like most of us on this forum did. However the people of Ireland were not convinced about Luas at all and as a result neither were the politicians.

You may have forgotten, but when the Luas was being planned, the newspapers were full of articles saying that it was going to be a white elephant, cost overruns, wouldn't be used and add to that screams from the cities business leaders :rolleyes:

As a result, the project was scaled back and Luas cross city was canned at the time.

I would have loved had the Luas been cut and cover along Abbey Street with a bus corridor above it, but the reality that would have exploded the cost of the project and it probably would never have gotten built.

The sad truth is the public wasn't convinced about it and Luas had to prove itself on a smaller scale first.

The great news is that Luas was wildly successful and the public loved it and as a result, all the Luas projects since (extensions, longer trams, longer stations, Luas Crosscity) have gone through with almost zero opposition and loads of public support, pretty much unlike any project I've seen before in Ireland.

And at least the planners had made it easy to expand as it gained public support.

Unfortunately this mindset seems to be a trend with Irish people. We seem to be generally very conservative, in denial that things can be done better, afraid to look abroad for best practices, etc. We seem to need things to be totally broken first before we try and fix things.

We saw it in the past with DART, the motorways, port tunnel, Luas, etc. All were called white elephants first, until the first of them was opened and then we loved them and called for more.

We are unfortunately seeing this again with Metro North. People aren't convinced we need a "fancy underground". Of course people will love it once built and will complain about how overcrowded it is when built!

I actually think they made a mistake calling it a Metro. I think they would have been better branding it as Luas North, but otherwise exactly the same as MN (stations, trains, route, etc.). I think there would have been far more public support for it if people had thought of it as a Luas that happens to just run underground for a bit!

I've no doubt that MN will be widely successful and that it will be just the start of us building more underground including DU. I'm just hoping NMN won't be too hobbled and that again the planners will be able to sneak by lots of room for expansion (at least 90m capable station boxes, 60m trams that can easily extended to 90m, etc.).

BTW you see the same with banning cars from the quays, the College Green square, multi-door bus operations, etc., you really have to drag Irish people kicking and screaming into the 21st century!

That is a very simplified and assumptive depiction of how things happened in relation to luas. It comes across more like an opinion rather than actual fact. Your references to "people" and "public" is somewhat misguided and unfair. In fact its lazy. If you would like me to correct you, I will. I just haven't got time tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I'd be interested to read that grandeeod. I think the post you are referring to is very good, and a lot of truth in it. I think it gives way too much credit though to the public in general and our politicians, who realistically wouldn't know their arse from their elbow in anything transport related ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I'd be interested to read that grandeeod. I think the post you are referring to is very good, and a lot of truth in it. I think it gives way too much credit though to the public in general and our politicians, who realistically wouldn't know their arse from their elbow in anything transport related ...

Don't have time at the min to go into detail, but what struck me about BK's post was the references to ordinary people influencing decisions about luas. That is absolutely not true. It was political and then referenced in the media in relation to vested interests. Once I have time I will happily post in more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Id imagine when the lines are linked and northside suburbs are served for the first time, that it will lead to greater calls to get metro north built...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

The Metro is something where it is hard to understand why the Government is not making more of a priority of it. If we don't start transporting our people around correctly, things will get worse. It is not rocket science to understand that
    I wouldn't expect this is news to anyone here but interesting all the same.

http://m.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/chamber-ceo-fires-parting-shot-to-speed-metro-north-35866914.html

It's not bogged down in bureaucracy.

Simple lack of political will.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Government to announce that the Metro is to be brought forward this week according to tomorrow's Sunday Independent, or as Colm McCarthy is calling it, squandering scarce resources on a "politically motivated white elephant scheme".

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/DEPnR8gXkAUzj6M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Promising news though all the projects he's mentioned were name checked in Varadkar's manifesto so a chance he's just been informed of an announcement and regurgitating the old info. Hopefully the original project is revived if it is true

Would be interested in why McCarthy considers it a white elephant as well, no doubt he thought the same of T2 at the airport and various other massively beneficial schemes

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

I would be quite surprised if a firm commitment was given to Metro North this week in the absence of an overall re-articulation policy on capital expenditure. That is not how it is done. Instead, it is more likely to happen with or just after the budget in October. 

I would like to be wrong on this though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

I'm aware the transport should be an on going project but BX and the longer platforms should of been there from day one and BX and Luas past James should have been underground. Instead they've happened over the course of 12 years . AKA it was fudged initially and  BX is still a fudge.

I've no doubt that the planners knew that Luas was going to be a massive success and it would open overcapacity, just like most of us on this forum did. However the people of Ireland were not convinced about Luas at all and as a result neither were the politicians.
    I read somewhere once that the Green line was something like 20% over expectations after a year but that the red line was 10% or so under. I can't find a source again for this though.

What I think this says is that passengers will really appreciate a grade-separated, fast service.

The effective catchment of MN could be 2 km from the stations. A long walk to a very fast service will always beat a short walk to a crawling Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

I wouldn't expect this is news to anyone here but interesting all the same.

I sometimes wonder do the top brass in FCC forget that Blanchardstown and parts of the maynooth line is part of their jurisdiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If Varadkar resists tax cuts and opts instead for infrastructural investment it will be a first in our modern history and I'll forgive the man just about anything else he does that I don't approve of!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Calling a Dublin metro a "white elephant" goes to show there's something severely lacking in the mental faculties of some people in this country.

Especially after all the legitimately useless crap we've built over the last 15-20 years. I wonder where this chap stands on the M9, the M3 and a host of other inane and bizarrely extravagant wastes of taxpayer euros.

Bray Head wrote: »
    The effective catchment of MN could be 2 km from the stations. A long walk to a very fast service will always beat a short walk to a crawling Dublin Bus.

Hopefully plenty of buses feeding into the line from east and west and even from towns further north of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,539 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Economists don't like rail based solutions full stop.

They fail however to ever factor in the wider benefits that they bring, looking solely at the financial performance of the operation itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement