Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Harney on Today FM

• 11-11-2008 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Just after listening to Today Fm with her being interviewed about cervical cancer and that the vaccination that was supposed to be given to all 12 year old girls next year has ben put off with no other date set as 10 million out of a budger of 1.6 billion can't be found.

Mary on behalf of the nation thanks for giving god knows how many women a death sentance I hope it doesn't keep you awake at night the way other famlies will be up mourning their mothers, sisters, aunts, friends or daughters.

I have added a poll to see if there is a difference in opinions in the sexes. It is a private vote so don't worry about your privacy

wondering what the views of sexes are 38 votes

I am a woman and i agree with Harney
    0% 0 votes
    I am a woman and i DON'T agree with Harney
    2% 1 vote
    I am a man and i agree with Harney
    57% 22 votes
    I am a man and i DON'T agree with Harney
    39% 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

not defending harney on this, think its mad what shes doing, but found it hard to get a balanced aguement from it, darcy didn't really give her a chance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Well seeing as they spend 90 million every year on consultants, maybe with a few cuts there going to be made, the vaccination's can be re-introduced - but then again, that would involve Harness Harney using her brain as well as her cold heart!

90 Million Consultant fees: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/government-forking-out-836417m-each--week-on-consultants-1530974.html

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

irish-stew wrote: »
    darcy didn't really give her a chance

He couldn't, he gets too emotive about the topics that he ends up talking to people about and just likes to hear himself rant about it! Should have left it to Jooooooeeeee Duffyyyyyyyy. Good afternoon to you Mary Harney. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I am not saying Harney is right, but there are plenty of parents who could afford to pay for their daughters to be vaccinated.

http://www.irishhealth.com/index.html?level=4&id=13692. The cost is given as being €390 for a 3-injection course. I assume that that would reflect the cost per patient for the government, so maybe it would be more for parents to pay individually.

In any case, do people think that parents who can afford to pay - should?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I am not saying Harney is right, but there are plenty of parents who could afford to pay for their daughters to be vaccinated.

http://www.irishhealth.com/index.html?level=4&id=13692. The cost is given as being €390 for a 3-injection course. I assume that that would reflect the cost per patient for the government, so maybe it would be more for parents to pay individually.

In any case, do people think that parents who can afford to pay - should?

so what happens the ones that can't? you can't put a price on life i know but people still won't be able to afford it. Look at A&E any day of the week, it was 55 or something a pop or so before the budget (it's gone up now hasn't it?) and the medical cards paid for how many of these visits that people couldn't afford otherwise

Yes it is true that those who can afford it may do it themselves but surely it is in the goverments best interests if the immunise now to save money in the future. what is it they say for every euro spent now saves twenty in the future

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

There's been a few comments on this posted in the massive Lost the Plot thread in the Radio forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

danniemcq wrote: »
    Mary on behalf of the nation thanks for giving god knows how many women a death sentance I hope it doesn't keep you awake at night the way other famlies will be up mourning their mothers, sisters, aunts, friends or daughters.

That's a bit hysterical isn't it? A few months ago there was no prospect of the vaccine anyway.
    Has she given god knows how many women a death sentence by not making breast check available free to all ages? Has she given a death sentence to god knows how many fat people by not distributing free defibrillators to all homes?

Personally I think rolling back on the vaccine is a huge mistake. At the very least it's a bad political decision. But still using language like "death sentence" puts you firmly in the "won't somebody please think of the children" category and doesn't really help the cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Save money in the future ? Mmmm The future is now my friend , and unless YOU PAY you will not get the benefit of a decent / top class health service depending on how you want to look at it.

You cant put a price on life , but they are gonna damn well put a price on decent health care and YOU WILL PAY IT or you wont get it in this country.

As disgusting as this whole thing is , its how Ireland Inc. is run and as a society we're getting exactly what we deserve I fear.

We dont tax the wealthy in this country, we bury the working/middle class earners. We cut back on essential services to the vulnerable, provision Health, Education, Care of the elderly and continue to spend bloated budgets on expanding quangos and vested interests... its been well debated over the course of recent weeks through the budget debate... the Ceptic Tiger in all its glory ..behold!

javaboy wrote: »
    That's a bit hysterical isn't it?

Yeah exactly!!

...and what's a cervical anyway. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

I heard the whole interview.

Although I dont agree with what harney is doing she really didnt get to get her point across cos darcy kept speaking over her.

The whole point of a debate is to hear the 2 sides.

I dont think there was any benefit to having her on the darcy show as mentioned above he does get way to emotional about some of the guests he has on.

Ms Harney will need go and think about this whole mess though becuase she has left a lot of people out raged.

But the interview was crap cos it was just 2 people talking over each other.

• Advertisement

Yeah exactly!!

...and what's a cervical anyway. :rolleyes:

I think its something you use to kill old people who cost tax payers money .... its either that or some kinda corporate grinding machine that uses old people as raw material to feed the plebs...ala Soylent Green :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

sorrywhat wrote: »
    I heard the whole interview.

Although I dont agree with what harney is doing she really didnt get to get her point across cos darcy kept speaking over her.

The whole point of a debate is to hear the 2 sides.

I dont think there was any benefit to having her on the darcy show as mentioned above he does get way to emotional about some of the guests he has on.

Ms Harney will need go and think about this whole mess though becuase she has left a lot of people out raged.

But the interview was crap cos it was just 2 people talking over each other.

I agree, i was really annoyed at D'arcy correcting her facts just because he claimed to have done "his research" and he read it somewhere that his facts were right.

The nasty comments about her were out of place too. Granted its a backward thinking decision in my opinion but Im not a doctor. As much as I dont like Harney I dont believe for a second that she willfully thinks its acceptable for people to die just because they are from disadvantaged areas, as Darcy put it.

The main point Darcy should have focussed on was that by spending dosh on preventing cancer, you are saving in the long term by not having to treat those patients etc. After all it costs alot more than €390 to cure cancer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

I've got something that can be given to all 12 year old girls

She needs the monies for moar pies

Trev M wrote: »
    grinding machine

:eek:

faceman wrote: »
    The main point Darcy should have focussed on was that by spending dosh on preventing cancer, you are saving in the long term by not having to treat those patients etc. After all it costs alot more than €390 to cure cancer!

Looks like we have ourselevs a thinker here - {Release the hounds}

That's a bit hysterical isn't it? A few months ago there was no prospect of the vaccine anyway.
    Has she given god knows how many women a death sentence by not making breast check available free to all ages? Has she given a death sentence to god knows how many fat people by not distributing free defibrillators to all homes?

the fact is this isn't a check or a test or anything like that. it is a vaccine in the same way that smallpox was destroyed by vaccinations, cervical cancer could be too. Yes if breast checks were free and defibtillators were in every house it would save lives but it couldn't be done as it would cost to much. The point is there is right now a simple, effective and relativley cheap way to prevent this and it's not happening and it makes me sick.

That was LoL
    I've got something that can be given to all 12 year old girls

That's just sick! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

faceman wrote: »
    I agree, i was really annoyed at D'arcy correcting her facts just because he claimed to have done "his research" and he read it somewhere that his facts were right.

The nasty comments about her were out of place too. Granted its a backward thinking decision in my opinion but Im not a doctor. As much as I dont like Harney I dont believe for a second that she willfully thinks its acceptable for people to die just because they are from disadvantaged areas, as Darcy put it.

Is there a copy of the interview anywhere on line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

IBut the interview was crap cos it was just 2 people talking over each other.

It was crap alright but wasn't because there were 2 people taking over each other, there was only one person talking over the other and that was Darcy. Way to try win a debate Mr "Won't someone think of the children, no wait, won't someone think of my daughter" Darcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

danniemcq wrote: »
    the fact is this isn't a check or a test or anything like that. it is a vaccine in the same way that smallpox was destroyed by vaccinations, cervical cancer could be too. Yes if breast checks were free and defibtillators were in every house it would save lives but it couldn't be done as it would cost to much. The point is there is right now a simple, effective and relativley cheap way to prevent this and it's not happening and it makes me sick.

Yeah and I agree with all that but saying she is signing the death sentences of god knows how many women makes it sound like she's committing genocide which isn't true or fair.

• Advertisement

Well Im laughin here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

SheroN wrote: »
    Is there a copy of the interview anywhere on line?

im sure darcy will put it up on his website. i think he has a pod cast. may be wrong now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

It was a ridiculous interview. I for one, would have been interested in what Harney had to say, if it was not for Ray D'Arcy shouting her down whenever she started to explain.

He reminded me of one Bill O Reilly, shouting down the interviewee and repeating the same emotive line over and over again. Ray really just wanted to shout at her and it was pitiful.

Harney kept her cool and answered all his questions when she got the chance.
    She doesn't have unlimited funds in the health service so priorities have to be made, its the same in every health service in the world.

And D'Arcys story about the bus driver at the end was a cheap attempt to rescue a losing argument.

D'Arcy, leave the serious topics to Matt Cooper and go back to talking about how great it is to be a father and how you're so great for cycling to work.

Yeah and I agree with all that but saying she is signing the death sentences of god knows how many women makes it sound like she's committing genocide which isn't true or fair.

I understand your point but put bluntly well there is no other way to put it. i know it is a hard choice to make but the way she says if she introduces this it takes money from others but that doesn't have to be the case she has other options (see biggins post) and she has made her choice now
    im sure darcy will put it up on his website. i think he has a pod cast. may be wrong now.

yeah there is a podcast but it is rarely updated maybe twice a month

Whatever about Ray Darcy ... I think the outrage is in the context of cost , the actual practical life saving nature of it and ultimately teh fact that in a cost benefit analysis its a no brainer....

For me personally , when I look at other areas of government spending you can only shake your head and wonder WTF? I hold the minister accountable, teh government IS RESPONSIBLE... and until we start to hold them responsible , decisions like this will continue to be made "in the current climate". The government is responsible for all the people of this nation, they run a society not an enterprise...they are not cheilf executives they are public representatives , they work for us .....not as they seem to think the other way around. Vaccinate the kids NOW is my view!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Our health service desperately requires reform IMO.

I think Harney wanted to do this when she took the job, she genuinely seemed to want to sort out the mess but has lost the will to do this since because of all the objections from within the service.

I think its time she left and we got someone with enough motivation to do it to go through with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Santana Loud Kickoff

For something this important I'm not waiting on government funding.

I'm making an appointment to have my daughter vaccinated (and micro-chipped) tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

What a load of bollocks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

brim4brim wrote: »
    Our health service desperately requires reform IMO.

I think Harney wanted to do this when she took the job, she genuinely seemed to want to sort out the mess but has lost the will to do this since because of all the objections from within the service.

I think its time she left and we got someone with enough motivation to do it to go through with it.

I agree with you there but who in their right mind could fix the health service. I'd say it's the kiss of death to anybodys career now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Well i just read yesterday that the tax payer forks out 1.2 million a week on consultancy fees.

They can't find the money, my hole!

I hope I never ever get sick in this country...

Advertisement