Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions League and UEFA Cup

• 15-09-2008 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

CL selections

Barcelona v Sporting Lisbon + 2
    Juventus v Zenit St Petersburg +1
    Werder Bremen v Anorthosis Famagusta

UEFA selections

Herta Berlin v St Pats +2 (I just spotted this is 2.4 on pp which is very tempting)
    Apoel Nicosia v Schalke 04
    Hamburg v Unirea Urziceni
    FK Borac v Ajax
    Slavia Prague v Vaslui

Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

hey mike, i went with your uefa cup selections. i also threw ac milan with it. works out at 7/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Zenit St peterburg +1 looks like value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Okay lads, my 10er treble on Ebanks-Blake, Zaki and Defoe to score at anytime came in at the weekend, roughly totalling 25/1. So this is what I'm considering for the Champions League:
    • Aguero 15/8
    • Keane 11/4
    • Deco 7/2
    Again, 10er treble, it's going to pay out roughly 480.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

I'm gona go for Chelsea(-1) and Roma...odds of just over 6/5.

Chelsea were awesome against city the weekend and although i don't know a whole pile about Cluj, i'd imagine Roma should take care of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Fahy is 10/1 to score anytime tonight, enhanced odds from Patrick Power :eek:

Ryan Guy could score imo :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Treble for me:

Joe Cole to score anytime 11/8
    Sheff Utd 4/6
    FC Basel 5/4

Works out at 8.9

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Flipz4Rollz

Have: Liverpool ht/ft 3/1
    inter ht/ft 12/5
    birmingham draw 9/4

Bout 40/1,worth it imo put 10er

then my banker is chelsea -1 8/11
    roma-1 4/6
    barca-1 4/5
    Bray 10/11
    put 30 on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Dec McC

Have 17/1 accum. ;)
    barcelona
    chelsea
    basel
    roma
    werder bremen
    celtic
    arsenal
    real madrid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Tonight I'm going for an easy Chelsea, Roma, Barca and Bremen quad at 2.6 for 30 quid and change

Tommorow I'm going to be after Juve -1 (Asian), they've started of the season brilliantly, can't see Zenith being too great away from home seeing as their Russian and they are 7th in the league. Juve also have phenomenal firepower up front in Del Piero, Trez, Amauri and Iaquinta. If they get it together it could be a rout and 2.22 on the -1 Asian handicap is value

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

double Chelsea and Roma HT/FT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭dacman

Tried to put a bet on at 19:45 with ladbrokes. liverpools price goes from 13/10 to 11/10 in 2 seconds and bremen price changes from 1/4to 1/5 instantly. what that all about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Okay lads, my 10er treble on Ebanks-Blake, Zaki and Defoe to score at anytime came in at the weekend, roughly totalling 25/1. So this is what I'm considering for the Champions League:
    • Aguero 15/8
    • Keane 11/4
    • Deco 7/2
    Again, 10er treble, it's going to pay out roughly 480.

Well that's one down. Benitez better give Keane a decent run out if he brings him on.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

Trampas wrote: »
    double Chelsea and Roma HT/FT

leading 1-0 each.

roma just conceded

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

dacman wrote: »
    Tried to put a bet on at 19:45 with ladbrokes. liverpools price goes from 13/10 to 11/10 in 2 seconds and bremen price changes from 1/4to 1/5 instantly. what that all about

Lots of late money piling in on them probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

bookies generally tighten their prices on the favourites when it comes to soccer and betting in running, not sure of the exact reason though

Fcuk you Roma!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Romna are toss. Official, one more result like that and the manager will be gone.

Mike.

Decided i'm gona do a 50 euro bet each day...mostly on singles and doubles and see how i end up. Saving my "work" on a spreadsheet!

Already 50 down thanks to Roma.

Anyone fancy Utd (-1) tonight? Villareal might feel a bit of a backlash. Not too sure hoe good Villareal are though so can anyone help me out??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    Decided i'm gona do a 50 euro bet each day...mostly on singles and doubles and see how i end up. Saving my "work" on a spreadsheet!

Already 50 down thanks to Roma.

Anyone fancy Utd (-1) tonight? Villareal might feel a bit of a backlash. Not too sure hoe good Villareal are though so can anyone help me out??

I'd leave United alone tbh. They aren't playing great at the moment.

Not my analysis:

ManUtd/Villareal: United will have ronaldo on the bench apparently, so he'll only see a little action in the 2nd half if any. carrick is out, and as we know in europe, controlling central mid is key. berbatov is also apparently hurt. united haven't been playing all that well recently, so this makes it a tricky affair. last time these two met in the champions league they drew 0-0 and villareal will be a threat more than people think. the stats say 80% chance of an under, so im doing under 2.5 @ 1.71. also, im finding some value with villareal (+1) @ 1.91 with small stake considering the stats show a 60% chance of villa win (i'm telling you united have been dodgy lately). i'm taking this bet because villa have a chance to draw (thus bet wins). and, if united does win, it will be by a small scoreline i think so the bet will push. worth a small stake.

Smells like a tight game tbh 1-0, 0-1, 0-0 or 1-1. Under 2.5 is the way to go.

BBC:

Man Utd v Villarreal

Uefa Champions League, Group E - Man Utd v Villarreal
    Venue: Old Trafford Date: Wednesday, 17 September Kick-off: 1945 BST Coverage: BBC Sport website & BBC Radio Five Live

Ronaldo was linked with a move to Real Madrid over the summer
    Winger Cristiano Ronaldo will start on the substitutes bench for Manchester United's opening Champions League match against Villarreal at Old Trafford.

Ronaldo, sidelined for two months after undergoing an ankle operation in July, was expected to be out until October.

Michael Carrick (broken foot) is out and Dimitar Berbatov (knee) is a major doubt, while Paul Scholes is suspended.

Villarreal are without Nihat Kahveci and former United striker Giuseppe Rossi, who both have thigh problems.

Ferguson praised Ronaldo's attitude
    Ronaldo takes his place in United's squad for the first time since helping them lift the Champions League trophy with victory over Chelsea in May.

The 23-year-old Portuguese scored 42 goals last season and was named Professional Footballers' Association player of the year for the second successive season.

"It has given us a lift having Cristiano around because you are talking about a truly magnificent player," said United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

"He will certainly be involved but it is more likely he will start on the bench.

"He has been one of the best patients I have ever seen. He has been here every day right through until 5pm (1700 BST). He has shown a real desire to get back playing for us. Cristiano said he would like to go to Real Madrid but he has shown fantastic maturity in the last few weeks - he has accepted the situation and got on with it

Sir Alex Ferguson

"We might have involved him on Saturday (against Liverpool) if we had been at home. But because we were away I just felt it would be even better to give him another few days."

Ronaldo openly talked of his desire to join Spanish champions Real Madrid over the summer but United refused to sell him and eventually the former Sporting Lisbon player accepted his immediate future lay at Old Trafford.

"I don't think he has to win the fans over," said Ferguson. "They understand he is a young man who has been tempted by the lure of money.

"He said he would like to go to Real Madrid but he has shown fantastic maturity in the last few weeks. He has accepted the situation and got on with it.

"There is no pettiness and he has not thrown his toys out of the pram. There are no issues at all regarding Cristiano." 606: DEBATE
    I cannot wait until the greatest player on earth pulls the famous red jersy back on Wednesday! We've missed him a lot so far this season

Gareth89

Carrick, meanwhile, was injured during United's 2-1 defeat against Liverpool on Saturday.

The 28-year-old left Anfield on crutches and, although Ferguson initially felt the damage was not too bad, scans have revealed a small break.

Carrick will be out for at least a month, ruling him out of England's next two World Cup qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Belarus, plus up to nine matches for United.

Berbatov required treatment for a knee problem during the Liverpool game and missed the start of training on Thursday.

If Berbatov is missing, United should have Angolan forward Manucho available.

The 25-year-old has recovered from a broken metatarsal and, with his work permit also secure, is now looking to break into the first-team picture.

Manchester United (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Foster, Brown, Neville, R Da Silva, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, O'Shea, Evra, F Da Silva, Ronaldo, Nani, Hargreaves, Anderson, Possebon, Fletcher, Park, Giggs, Tevez, Rooney, Berbatov, Manucho, Welbeck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    Fcuk you Roma!

+1, fuppin backstards - Its ok though just lump on Celtic tonight, normally dont advocate chasing losses but i cant see how celtic dont win this one comfortably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I'm going to get on Adebayor to score anytime.

Kiev are not the great team they were a few years ago. I think Arsenal will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

I'll be on Arsenal tonight at 5/6, away to D.Kiev.
    Drogheda were desperately unlucky not to win over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭applehunter

That was a freak result by Drogheda.

Kiev will be playing at their main stadium tonight.

Lay of Arsenal for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Treble on Celtic, Arsenal and United winning tonight 5/1.

Bit of a ropey one but feck it, tis a free bet from the Villa win on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

mchurl wrote: »
    bookies generally tighten their prices on the favourites when it comes to soccer and betting in running, not sure of the exact reason though

It's not solely a matter of shortening the favourites prices. In top class football (Premiership, Champions Lgeaue, major internationals etc) there is enormous competition between the bookies. As such, matches are priced to a margin of anything from 104% - 108% before the start with most major bookies at 105% these days (i think, haven't checked in a while). With in-running, all bookies will then revert back to a 111% or so margin when the game kicks off. Whether the home team, away team, the draw price or all three are shortened will vary from game to game depending on where the margin was taken in the first place.

As such, while plenty of people claim they can beat a bookie on in running bets, they fail to recognise that they are competing on a less even playing field than the were pre match. Even so, this thread is a great example that the vast majority of people fail to beat the 105% line anyway for a variety of reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

had a couple of bets up last night and but for Roma it would have been a great one! i wont go into them because of the afterpost thing

for today i have two bets still in play and i did another one just now

Celtic
    Bayern Munich
    Tottenham
    Real Madrdid HT/FT
    QPR
    Independiente

pays roughly 18/1

just a safe bet for me(well i say safe)

man utd
    real madrid ht/ft

evens

keen wrote: »
    Treble on Celtic, Arsenal and United winning tonight 5/1.

Bit of a ropey one but feck it, tis a free bet from the Villa win on Monday.

i wouldnt go near celtic....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

i wouldnt go near celtic....

Why on earth not?? Because of their home record in Europe or because they're playing the 4th Seeds who are struggling in mid table in the danish league???? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

i just feel celtic are on a slippery slope this weather...... im probably wrong but, i just dont bet on celtic, esp in champions league

Advertisement