Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

@The Muppet - that's true! It's easy forget how I've come on since starting, when 1 minute was an achievement :)

I've really slowed down since I treated myself to new runners (got under armour Gemini 2's - no shin splints since!) My legs go all weird if I try to slow down further, it's like I'm tensing my calves too much? I even put music with a lower bpm on my phone to try and keep a slower rhythm!

My usual tricks of telling myself to run to the pole, sign post etc didn't work! I might try a different route for tomorrow night as I'm doing the same one since I started C25K

Ideally you would keep the same rhythm but shorter strides, so that might be the problem. Try to keep the number of steps you take the same (this is called cadence) but make them shorter so that you'll be going slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gremlin2011

Thanks for that tip! I'll give that a go tomorrow.

I did it! Third time's the charm!!
    I didn't even want to go out tonight and had resigned myself to going back repeating week 3. But I went out, put some good music on the phone, got soaked and smiled haha Here's hoping w4d2 will go as good

As I was coming back home I realised out of the 31 minutes, I ran for 16 of those (snail pace but still ran, right?!). I thought back to week 2 and how difficult I found it, now look at me!

Thanks again for all the advice from everyone, I really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Good going , no reason why you can't do the same again and then you'll be onto week 5 which is a very special week on the plan. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 66,300 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I did it! Third time's the charm!!
    I didn't even want to go out tonight and had resigned myself to going back repeating week 3. But I went out, put some good music on the phone, got soaked and smiled haha Here's hoping w4d2 will go as good

As I was coming back home I realised out of the 31 minutes, I ran for 16 of those (snail pace but still ran, right?!). I thought back to week 2 and how difficult I found it, now look at me!

Thanks again for all the advice from everyone, I really appreciate it :)

Great stuff! As long as you are running never mind the speed is my motto. My Olympic medal chances are gone!

Did 5.4k tonight myself, first time past 5k and you should see the view! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I'm thrilled for you Gremlin. It's a great feeling isn't it? Seeing yourself do distances that past-you never thought possible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Well done Gremlin!

I did week four run one this morning too... found the last five minutes run tough but was not going to give up!

Great tips from everyone here, thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Well done Messy-Tessy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I think I officially have the bug. I'm getting some new tops for running for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Folks, need a bit of advice here.

Last Saturday week, I did week 8, run 1 without any major problem.

Thing is, I haven't been out once since then :(

I literally have done no physical exercise in the last 9 days!

I'm not even going to try to offer excuses as to why I didn't get out.

Should I try week 8, run 2 tonight or would I be too unfit? Feeling frustrated at letting a lot of good work being wasted in the last week.

• Advertisement

Should I try week 8, run 2 tonight or would I be too unfit? Feeling frustrated at letting a lot of good work being wasted in the last week.

What's the worst can happen? You are not able for it. That's all.
    Just row back a bit, resume at a point you can achieve and go again.

Had an awful run yesterday, was flustered getting out, tech was causing issues and the run just went from bad to worse.
    It happens, I'll just recover for a day and head out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

9 days won't do you much harm physically. It's more likely to have a mental impact. Just go out and do it, you'll be grand.

Make sure you don't leave it another 9 days because then you will be making it hard for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Bit late to get back to this... I read this on foot strike recently.

http://www.zenlabsfitness.com/find-proper-running-footstrike/#disqus_thread

Bit late to get back to this... I read this on foot strike recently.

http://www.zenlabsfitness.com/find-proper-running-footstrike/#disqus_thread

I am following the advice of the wise person here who said run however you run :D

Thanks for the encouragement FrancieBrady and Maximus Alexander. Got through week 8, run 2 tonight. Back on track!

Thanks for the encouragement FrancieBrady and Maximus Alexander. Got through week 8, run 2 tonight. Back on track!

Well done!

Just working out a realistic schedule for the Xmas period. There is at my age a certain realism about what might happen, so the focus is on getting back to it with a plan in Jan. I'm no good without a plan. :)

Did W4D3 tonight - half way through the app now! Whoop!!

Legs are a little sore but that's probably due to the extra walking around doing Christmas shopping and drinking less water than usual.

Week 5 sure looks interesting :o

Well done Gremlin. WHen you pass the halfway mark you have a much higher chance of finishing :)

Legs are a little sore but that's probably due to the extra walking around doing Christmas shopping and drinking less water than usual.

Week 5 sure looks interesting :o

Ha Ha, Week 5, you'll really enjoy run 3 . The four previous weeks mean you have it in you to do the 20 minutes . Take it easy starting out , Believe and be prepare for the feeling of achievement on completion.

Good luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

W4D3

Misread and thought you meant WD40... :P

Have fun.

• Advertisement

Week five run three done! That is 20 minutes of jogging and I did it!!! Went very slow but delighted with myself for finishing it.

And now chocolate for the day! Happy Christmas all!!

Week five run three done! That is 20 minutes of jogging and I did it!!! Went very slow but delighted with myself for finishing it.

And now chocolate for the day! Happy Christmas all!!

That great . Enjoy that well earned chocolate.

Well done to everyone here, I hope ye all had a great Christmas and will have a healthy New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Just want to join in mainly for motivation for myself.

Just started week 1 of C25k today.. and want to post here from now on with my updates to keep myself motivated.

In the summer I made it to week 6 (finished week 6), then went on a two week piss up holiday and threw all my progress down the drain.

Decided now is the best time to start again after Christmas as I also want to stay off the drink for a while now.

I remember how happy I was to finish week 5, I want to get back to that and finish the program so I look forward to joining you guys with the regular updates.

sumsar wrote: »

Just started week 1 of C25k today.. and want to post here from now on with my updates to keep myself motivated.

In the summer I made it to week 6 (finished week 6), then went on a two week piss up holiday and threw all my progress down the drain.

Decided now is the best time to start again after Christmas as I also want to stay off the drink for a while now.

I remember how happy I was to finish week 5, I want to get back to that and finish the program so I look forward to joining you guys with the regular updates.

The best of luck with it Sumsar. You made it to week 5 all ready so you know what lies ahead .

Well done Sumsar for going at it again, You will get plenty of motivation from this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

I just wanted to say, to anyone who had a few too many drinks over the Xmas and has yet to start their week this week..

Its Wednesday, not too late to start the week, get out and do it, you won't regret it.

I was due to start week 7 had two weeks of drinking and never returned.. you don't want to make the same mistake I did.. it's not too late to keep that fire burning, keeping the fire burning is better than starting the fire again.

After a week of pigging out, I got back out there. W5D1! I found it easier than w4 lol. That week is one I'd rather forget ;)

Was looking back over the last few weeks, pace especially as I'd noticed I'm not getting to the poles I used to! I'm doing 15.30-16 min miles now. I'm delighted I've slowed so much - no shin splints, odd knot in glutes which I can deal with.

Oh foam rollers in Aldi next week :P

I just wanted to say, to anyone who had a few too many drinks over the Xmas and has yet to start their week this week..

Its Wednesday, not too late to start the week, get out and do it, you won't regret it.

I was due to start week 7 had two weeks of drinking and never returned.. you don't want to make the same mistake I did.. it's not too late to keep that fire burning, keeping the fire burning is better than starting the fire again.

Have to agree - I've been getting it hard to fit in runs recently but intend doing week 9, run 2 tonight.

Could be doing my "graduation run" on New Years Day!

• Advertisement

Could be doing my "graduation run" on New Years Day!

What a great way to start the new year, Well done Hesh.

Advertisement