Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

You left out Jones the cat.

At least if the crew of Prometheus don't wander off to look for the cat while a killer alien is loose on board, it'll be a bit less stupid than Alien was.

What can I say? People love cats. :pac:

Editor Terry Rawlings said he knew Alien would be a hit when he was watching an early screening in London and a man behind him in a thick cockney accent, screamed out with genuine concern for Ripley.

"Leave the fcuking cat!!!"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

foxyboxer wrote: »
    People love cats. :pac:

Especially when they are hissing "Look behind you!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

al28283 wrote: »
    well the full thing Scott said was that the last 8 minutes of prometheus shares the sames dna as Alien, but that was the same interview when he said the xeno wuoldnt be in the movie

He also said the last 8 minutes has direct connections with Alien.

I personally think Scott / cast members are just purposely giving vague answers so as not to give away too much of the plot.

I personally reckon its not going to be as secretive or as far removed from Alien as some are making out.

The whole production, from the credits, title graphics and sub-titles are pretty much lifted from Alien.

I reckon Scott thought - 'hmm, what would have happened, if humans got there before the space jockey was killed?? Lets make a movie about that!'.

And there ya go, Prometheus. With a nice little story pencilled in to give us a reason to be there (cave paintings etc).

It's Ridley Scott for crying out loud, it's not going to be that mysterious.

At least if the crew of Prometheus don't wander off to look for the cat while a killer alien is loose on board, it'll be a bit less stupid than Alien was.

Blasphemy :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I see the premiere was in France last night - quite bizarre to see a film of this scale premiering a full month and a half before release, especially when it doesn't seem to be anything to do with a film festival.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I see the premiere was in France last night - quite bizarre to see a film of this scale premiering a full month and a half before release, especially when it doesn't seem to be anything to do with a film festival.

Really? Thats mad early, if all this stuff about making cuts to appease the ratings is true its unlikely they saw the cut we'll get in the summer.

• Advertisement

Wow. That is odd. That's a massive risk to take considering the veil of secrecy they've been trying to uphold.

I presume the full story is being leaked as we speak. :D (and some smart fecker with an iPhone currently uploading to torrents R' us)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Really? Thats mad early, if all this stuff about making cuts to appease the ratings is true its unlikely they saw the cut we'll get in the summer.

If its a closed, invite only audience, am I correct in assuming you don't have to adhere to any rating at all?

If so, they may well have gotten the best cut :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Aye, most places are 'reporting' on how great 'new mum' Charlize Theron is looking.

That's great and all, but shouldn't someone be telling us what the ****ing film is like?! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Christ I just had a skim through a leaked script - i hope to f*ck its fake ....

its very similar to the spoiler posted here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78079323&postcount=803

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Aye, most places are 'reporting' on how great 'new mum' Charlize Theron is looking.

That's great and all, but shouldn't someone be telling us what the ****ing film is like?! :pac:

Yea! Can't find any reviews online yet.

• Advertisement

Plenty of reviews of Theron looking hot, and Rapace looking not.

Nothing more to see here folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I know the 'infected crew' plot has been done to death at this stage but the trailers all point to these circumstances arising in Prometheus. It may just be a subplot showing the effects of being exposed to the gooey substance in the chamber but a disfigured crew member does attack another crew member with increased agility and strength so some sort of infection/transformation takes place.

The cats name was Jonesy and the crew didn't know that the alien had turned into a 7 foot killing machine until Brett found out the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Damn that is early :confused: I wonder will the Irish Premiere be in a couple of weeks time then? If that's the case then I'll be checking the usual places to see if they are having competitions for free tickets! :D

So if we try tie it all into some sort of religious symbology - could the Space Jockey literally be God? Came to Earth and made man in 'his' likeness?

Maybe the Xeno's are representing demons, and eating at their host from the inside out somehow a more literal form of demonic possession?

I think the goo and the Xeno's are unrelated, either that, or the Xeno's are an attempt at making humans / another race that went horribly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

al28283 wrote: »
    yea that sounds awful, plus i believe Scott said that this movie and Alien "share the same DNA", i never heard him say the aliens and humans did

well of course he wouldn't say that cos if he did he'd be giving away what MIGHT be the ultimate reveal of the movie;
    that the Aliens we know were in some way descended from humans.
    I really hope what I posted, as a guess based on what we've seen isn't true as on the face of it, that ending would be a bit lame imo. But that's what I think may happen based on the trailers they've shown and snippets of official quotes I've read from cast and crew. The central theme of the myth of Prometheus will probably be central of the narrative of this movie and the consequences that flow from that. And no, I have not read the alleged script for this movie nor have I done for any other film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im in the camp of
    mutated evolution.

There is a shot in the trailer of what looks like an "egg" room but it looks more mechanical than organic.

My bets are the alien appearing in the last few minutes as a mutation of space jockey and human victims spliced with the goo. Or something like that.

Despite the excitement for the film and dont get me wrong, Im there opening night, Im still disappointed that Scott decided to go back to try explain the Space Jockey. It was one of cinemas last remaining mysteries. And a good one at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

The original contained a lot of sexual imagery and insinuations (Male Rape etc)
    The original alien was a hybrid of human dna and it's own - Kane's "Son". So the classic xenomorph was the human hybrid variation. Perhaps we will see a xeno which is a hybrid of spacejockey dna and it's own too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

foxyboxer wrote: »
    The original contained a lot of sexual imagery and insinuations (Male Rape etc)
    I'm sure this will be incorporated somehow such as the goo acting as a fertiliser and when the crew get infected they undergo a transformation a la Brundlefly. As in, it's not an instant transformation but a gradual horrific one into a xenomorph.

The key word being morph which could be a hybrid of human and spacejockey dna.

Please god no, this would be awful.

Or maybe the Xeno's aren't decended / created by the Jockey's at all, but the jockey's encountered them while on one of these planets?

I certainly do not believe that human's or the jockey's morph into Xeno's at any stage - they're merely hosts.

Maybe there is a system of planets that the Xeno's are from, and the jockey's have landed there - hence the distress call from LV426 may have been meant as a warning to other jockey ships to stay away, not to come and rescue.

Something also makes me think that Weyland and maybe even Yutani have a lot more to do with the Prometheus mission than Weyland merely funding it for the craic. Leading to the constant battle between the corporation and Ripley in the 'future' films.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I certainly do not believe that human's or the jockey's morph into Xeno's at any stage - they're merely hosts.

There's a scene cut from the original of Brett getting transformed into an egg, and the suggestion in Alien 3 that the alien is different because it had a non-human host.

• Advertisement

There's a scene cut from the original of Brett getting transformed into an egg, and the suggestion in Alien 3 that the alien is different because it had a non-human host.

Host being the keyword there. They are more parasitic in nature IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not sure if this has already been posted? Poster of the ship.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

The running time will be 119 minutes. Another cut will be released with an additional 17 minutes of footage. Looks like it's gonna be PG-13 after all, although it'll probably be 15s over here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What's the source for the longer cut?

I presume the longer cut will be for the DVD/Blu-Ray and will be R-rated? They'd hardly release both cuts in the cinema would they? (now there's an idea!!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Maybe somebody with a better understanding of French can confirm, but I don't think Scott says anything about there being a 17 minute longer version. He does mention cutting 17 minutes out of something, but I think it's in reference to another film. He seems very happy with the theatrical cut of this.

He talks about it around the 30 minute mark:

I presume the longer cut will be for the DVD/Blu-Ray and will be R-rated? They'd hardly release both cuts in the cinema would they? (now there's an idea!!)

That would indeed be fantastic and could possibly generate more revenue but I doubt they will :(

They can't do that in the US anyway. There are MPAA rules about the different cuts of the same film being released within 3 months of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Sorry if this has been posted already, but here's yet another trailer for the film, minus a lot of the subterfuge of the previous trailers. This seems closer in tone to what I'd expect for a Ridley Scott film. Enjoy! :)

Advertisement