Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VRT co2 emissions not available on ROS

Options
  • 18-10-2009 4:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey all,

I've just bought a 1988 VW MK2 Golf on english plates for a nice little sum.
    When i go to calculate the VRT on this it shows CL 5DR A (1595CC - 999g/km).
    Then it says "CO2 EMISSIONS: Not established - highest VRT rate applied"

I have the option to recalculate the VRT if i have "documentary evidence that the CO2 emissions differ" from the 999g/km, which they do, a car with the exact same engine (the GL) is 221g/km.

I have the most recent (2009) MOT Certificates which state the co2 to be 0.987%...
    0.987% of what exactly? the maximum allowed to pass the MOT is 3.500%..?

So basically...
    1. a) Can i convert the MOT cert percentage to g/km and use this as documentary evidence
    b) how the hell do i calculate that?

2. Is there somewhere i can take the car to have the co2 emissions tested (NCT centre perhaps?) and get a certificate of the emissions that the revenue will accept? Will they do this for a car on english plates, as obviously i would have to pay the VRT to get the Irish plates and at that point I will no longer ever care about the emissions unless they make the car fail an NCT!

I'm going to ask VW if they can help/call the dealer that sold the car and see if they have any docs on it on Monday

Hope someone can help me out on this one, the revenue were not very useful on this at all, surprisingly...

Ta
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Afaik, the only thing that would be acceptable in your case is official MPG figures from the manufacturer (i.e. in the User's Manual), from which the CO2 figure can be calculated. Otherwise, you are looking at VRT of €720.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Antiprophet

must skim the manual later on then, would they accept the user manual as documentation in itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I have the most recent (2009) MOT Certificates which state the co2 to be 0.987%...
    You sure that's CO2 and not CO or lambda?

There are a list of accepted documents on the VRT site, such as the V5 or Certificate of Conformity (from the maker). You'll need to source one, or pay 36% VRT. I would have thought a 21 year Golf CL isn't worth much anyway, so 36% of very little is very little, subject to a minimum VRT amount of €330 odd.

the OMSP is 2k, so they want 720 off me :(

You can appeal that, as it's clearly wrong for such an old car.

• Advertisement

yeah? they are still selling for about 1500 for an irish reg though.
    anyone know what the 0.987% emissions are for the MOT?

It's in your best interest to prove they are worth less as you'll pay less VRT on appeal. There are loads of cheap Golfs on donedeal. Heck there's even a GTI on Carzone for less than 2 grand.

JHMEG wrote: »
    You sure that's CO2 and not CO or lambda?

There are a list of accepted documents on the VRT site, such as the V5 or Certificate of Conformity (from the maker). You'll need to source one, or pay 36% VRT. I would have thought a 21 year Golf CL isn't worth much anyway, so 36% of very little is very little, subject to a minimum VRT amount of €330 odd.
    The minimum OMSP for any car is now €2,000. So, the VRT for a car without CO2 figures is €720. There is no appealing this.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Hi op, just wondering what happened with this.
    I'm looking at an '88 Panda for €300, vrt quote is €720 :~!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

JHMEG wrote: »
    You can appeal that, as it's clearly wrong for s

€720 is the minimum for old yokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

aujopimur wrote: »
    €720 is the minimum for old yokes.

Exactly, which is why one area of motoring that seems to be holding it's own is the 'old' Micra/Yaris/Starlet/Scenic market - simply put, none of them are worth paying €720 VRT on, so if you find a good one here, it'll sell and sell and sell all day long.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I did the VRT calculation on an '88 Golf CL and I get 190 CO2 which gives a VRT 0f 30% = €600. A diesel 1.9l gives a 23% VRT = €460.

Check the petrol consumption figures given in the original sales books, and then calculate the CO2 figure from that. The figures used are directly related to fuel consumtion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I can't comment on the calculations and the technicalities, but that's not the way it works, it's going to be €720 no matter what.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I can't comment on the calculations and the technicalities, but that's not the way it works, it's going to be €720 no matter what.

Post the exact model and year with the mileage and I'll calculate it for you. Alternatively, you can use Motorcheck.ie and input the UK reg no. and it will give OMV and VRT based on Revenue figures.

No, if you can quote official manufacturer fuel consumption figures the CO2 (and therefore the VRT rate) can be calculated.

So, it's not going to be €720 no matter what.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Don't dig up old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement