Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

System prefs -> General -> Allow handoff

System prefs -> iCloud -> Ensure you're signed in

Open Facetime -> Preferences -> Allow iPhone calls

on iOS8
    Settings -> General -> Handoff & Suggested apps -> Toggle handoff to on

__
    Make sure bluetooth and wifi are on for both devices
    Make sure you're signed in to iCloud on both devices

AWESOME! got it working, thank you so much! :)

Now i've just gotta wait for Monday for 8.1 to get the SMS relay working and i'm golden, there's another few years in my old iMac yet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Anyone having issues downloading Yosemite today. Won't down load. Lots of errors. I am assuming it's diwn to capacity and volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Took ages for me a few days ago, so I think they're just getting hammered with downloads at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Been buttery smooth for me so far, no issues. Making calls from Mac through the iPhone is amazing, works brilliantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Been buttery smooth for me so far, no issues. Making calls from Mac through the iPhone is amazing, works brilliantly.

I haven't tried this yet but do you need to keep Facetime open on the Mac to receive calls or will it automatically open up when a call is received? I don't like the idea of having to keep it open and have that green dot staring down at me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I haven't tried this yet but do you need to keep Facetime open on the Mac to receive calls or will it automatically open up when a call is received? I don't like the idea of having to keep it open and have that green dot staring down at me!

It'll automatically open, it just takes a couple of rings for the crosstalk to happen so there's a slight delay before it'll pop up on the mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I tried making a call from my Mac last night and it kept failing. iPhone was unlocked, screen on and charging and in the same room, both connected to the same wifi network. Running the latest updates too. iPhone 6 and 2011 MBP.

You don't have a dual-band wifi network by any chance? They both have to be on the same channel (2.4/5.0Ghz).

You don't have a dual-band wifi network by any chance? They both have to be on the same channel (2.4/5.0Ghz).

I think I do but only use 2.4Ghz. Both are setup on the same network. The iPad often picks up calls, but afaik the Mac never has.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I think I do but only use 2.4Ghz. Both are setup on the same network. The iPad often picks up calls, but afaik the Mac never has.

Are you getting

"# is not available for Facetime" ?

That's what happens if the box in Facetime preferences to allow iPhone cellular calls isn't ticked

• Advertisement

Are you getting

"# is not available for Facetime" ?

That's what happens if the box in Facetime preferences to allow iPhone cellular calls isn't ticked

Nope, in FaceTime I click call via iPhone and it tries to call but then says call failed or something along them lines. Haven't tested it fully yet but it wasn't working and never received a call the whole time I was on the public beta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Does anyone know of any problems running a SQL server of Yosemite ?. EG a local one.

Would i see much of a battery and speed increase on a late 2013 Macbook Pro 15 inch Retina ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I want to enable trim on my ssd but I've noticed a few people are having problems when they are doing this in Yosemite.
    Has anyone here done it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I tried the first public beta, wifi wouldn't detect a jot. I went back to Mavericks. Does anyone here have it on a 2008 machine? I've 4GB of RAM and an SSD. Haven't really had any issues with Mavericks, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I tried the first public beta, wifi wouldn't detect a jot. I went back to Mavericks. Does anyone here have it on a 2008 machine? I've 4GB of RAM and an SSD. Haven't really had any issues with Mavericks, tbh.

I'm running it fine on a late 2008 unibody 15".

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭eoin1539

I have the beta on mine and I find it great. Such an improvement from mavericks, looking forward to its release :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

eoin1539 wrote: »
    I have the beta on mine and I find it great. Such an improvement from mavericks, looking forward to its release :)

It's been released.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

eoin1539 wrote: »

huh? It's been released for a few days now :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭eoin1539

mike_ie wrote: »
    huh? It's been released for a few days now :confused:

Oh haha, haven't been keeping up to date with Apple news lately, need to update so cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Can't get handoff to work at all.
    Same icloud on iphone and Mac, handoff turned on on both, same icloud on both, Bluetooth on on both (but not paired), same wifi... Doesn't work in either direction.... am I missing something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Installed it, going fine...

Edit, Safari just quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Can't get handoff to work at all.
    Same icloud on iphone and Mac, handoff turned on on both, same icloud on both, Bluetooth on on both (but not paired), same wifi... Doesn't work in either direction.... am I missing something?

Does your Mac support handoff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Upgraded and my trackpad doesn't function fully. Well it does if I restart Safari but within minutes the scrolling functions stops working

I've googled and seems to be a known issue on the forums. I guess there will be a fix within a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

DubDJ wrote: »
    I tried making a call from my Mac last night and it kept failing. iPhone was unlocked, screen on and charging and in the same room, both connected to the same wifi network. Running the latest updates too. iPhone 6 and 2011 MBP.

I have a MBA 2013 and iPhone 5 and have had no problems with this feature I have made a few calls and received them and it works really well. Is it the iPhone 6 that's the issue as a few have mentioned it not working with their iPhone 6. I don't see how it would though if it works with the older iPhone 5. Hopefully it will be sorted in the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Does your Mac support handoff?

2013 MBA with the right Bluetooth etc. iphone is a 5s?

Bpmull wrote: »
    I have a MBA 2013 and iPhone 5 and have had no problems with this feature I have made a few calls and received them and it works really well. Is it the iPhone 6 that's the issue as a few have mentioned it not working with their iPhone 6. I don't see how it would though if it works with the older iPhone 5. Hopefully it will be sorted in the update.

I think the problem is on the Mac side of things, I thought maybe it was my older 2011 MBP but it doesn't seem to be limited to older hardware. No biggie anyways, I'm curious to see if 8.1 makes any difference though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Had an issue with my external sound card when i updated to Yosemite, a quick install of the Mavericks drivers solved that problem and my soundcard works, and i've got the audio routed through my studio monitors.

But when i make a phone call, the sound doesn't come through the soundcard? anyone having similar issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Is there a standalone installer for Yosemite ? Would prefer a complete fresh install rather than an upgrade plus it would be handier to download in college where there is a better more reliable 'net connection/no allowance restrictions.

What are my options ?

Thanks

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

If it were me, I'd be creating a bootable USB install drive....

Advertisement