Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

Maybe we should rename this thread: "Stupid things that people do and then blame Ryanair"?

First a guy sits at the gate and doesn't board the plane while everyone else does?

And then it's their fault that people don't follow the simple instruction to print the page or take down the reference number.

Jetski, you don't seem to listen to advice very well but here's some anyway:

Do me a favour and get lost, you havent a clue what your talking about.. they cause more problems when we got to the airport and are getting €250 each as compensation. good man yourself

what person uses one of the most brutal films ever made as a user name :rolleyes:. just an observation...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I have to agree with Oryx - I'm flying to London at the end of the month, staying for two nights. The return trip is costing me €34.98 - including taxes, booking fees, everything... but only because I didn't pay to check in a bag and didn't pay extra to be one of the first to board. All fine by me.

And no, I didn't wait for or rely on the email to arrive correctly (which it did, but that's beside the point)... I printed the confirmation web page to a TIF file (Microsoft Office Image Writer 'printer') and saved it, printing it later. I also have the confirmation number noted down in my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

axer wrote: »
    They show you the total cost right above where you enter your credit card details - how were you charged 10 euro more than was displayed there?

In the attached upon quick glance it appears the billis 23eur, but its 33eur. I see this time around that there is a link to view handling fee, but I find the whole thing very misleading and Im sure most people miss it.

You see card payment type and a drop down menu, you know what to expect and switch off. The handling fee used to be shown prominently now its not. And this **** of being lamped with a checkin fee coming back to Ireland that was never mentioned when you bought and paid for your ticket.

Ryan air are dishonest and untrustworthy

It usually is until their is a problem, and then their is a real problem...

if you dont fall into their monkeys working at the desks list of answers, you can forget about going or getting back from where ever your going/are, i arrived at the airport all ready to go on holidays checked in online... arrived at the part where you go into the duty free and was told their was a problem with the boarding pass.....

went back to the queue at the ryanair desk which was about 150 meters no exaggeration, tried to speak to anyone and everyone in a ryanir uniform and was iggnored/dissmissed by all, tried to skip the queue and just mention quickly i was due to board very soon and was abruptly and with a raised voice told that the queue was back their and i wont be getting delt with unless i queued.... finally got to the top of the queue and after complaining what the problem was, they clever little monkey told me it was my fault, and all because their system printed the wrong ticket and if i want to go on my holiday i would have to pay 75 euro and the next flight was tomorrow, when i asked for a connecting flight i was told i was blocking the queue and if i didnt move she was calling airport police.....

So thats the kind a crap your risking when you fly with that shower of tramps....

another example of what their like.... a woman standing beside me at the ryanir desk with a small baby in her arms crying her eyes out because she missed a flight due to the fact she had to queue and they wanted her to pay €75 which she didnt have, poor girl wasnt even from the country... thats another story... id love to see that sap michael in the street :mad:

anyway were getting €250 each as compensation from ryanair for the crap they caused.

monkey=idot for anyone wondering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

EITHER FLY FOR CHEAP AND PUT UP WITH THE BULL**** OR PAY MORE AND GO ON A MORE EXPENSIVE AIRLINE, BUT PLEASE DON'T CHOOSE THE CHEAP AIRLINE THEN COMPLAIN ABOUT THE BULL****

Cheap flights isnt an excuse.

If you book cheap accomadation you have no right to complain about poor facilities / poor location. Likewise with ryanair you might expect self check-in, no bags, no assigned seats, no in-flight meal etc

But being cheap is not an excuse to be deliberately misleading or intentionally unhelpful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

jetski wrote: »
    went back to the queue at the ryanair desk which was about 150 meters no exaggeration, tried to speak to anyone and everyone in a ryanir uniform and was iggnored/dissmissed by all, tried to skip the queue and just mention quickly i was due to board very soon and was abruptly and with a raised voice told that the queue was back their and i wont be getting delt with unless i queued.... finally got to the top of the queue and after complaining what the problem was, they clever little monkey told me it was my fault, and all because their system printed the wrong ticket and if i want to go on my holiday i would have to pay 75 euro and the next flight was tomorrow, when i asked for a connecting flight i was told i was blocking the queue and if i didnt move she was calling airport police.....
    What was the problem? You printed out the boarding pass for the return flight or what? Not sure how their system could print out the wrong boarding pass. Did it say the correct flights on the boarding pass?
    another example of what their like.... a woman standing beside me at the ryanir desk with a small baby in her arms crying her eyes out because she missed a flight due to the fact she had to queue and they wanted her to pay €75 which she didnt have, poor girl wasnt even from the country... thats another story... id love to see that sap michael in the street :mad:
    Why did she have to queue? Did she not get herself to the airport on time?
    monkey=idot for anyone wondering
    I presume you mean idiot? Don't know what an idot is.

Cheap flights isnt an excuse.

If you book cheap accomadation you have no right to complain about poor facilities / poor location. Likewise with ryanair you might expect self check-in, no bags, no assigned seats, no in-flight meal etc

But being cheap is not an excuse to be deliberately misleading or intentionally unhelpful
    Ryanair should not be held responsible for human error or incompetence. People feel better blaming Ryanair than themselves I guess.

In your case it says that a booking fee applies and when you picked the appropriate payment method it updated the price accordingly. You just failed to look thus blame Ryanair instead for somehow hiding this price from you.

Don't know what an idot is.

well you must be one if thats the case (idiot), are you always so annoying? :D

its a simple typo which is alittle obvious.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

When it works, its fantastic. When it doesn't its a god almighty nightmare and it doesn't help because when you go to complain or even enquire the people you are talking to are dog ****ing ignorant.

I've worked in loads and loads of customer facing jobs so I always try to be the polite customer but the Ryanair staff could do with a lesson in etiquette

Ive a feeling axer or someone he knows works in ryanair god love them... hence he feels the need to stick up for the team

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

A quick whine about ryanair before I wrap up for the weekend. Have not flown with them recently fortunately but I was in the position of booking some flights for my mother and brother to visit. Fair enough to pay to check in at the airport as there is no printer at home and it was just easier to not do it online in a net cafe. Fair enough they pass the credit card transaction charge onto the customer.

But seriously 5 euro per person per flight surely that is excessive. 20 euro of a charge to use the credit card? I recall it being like 3.50 at some point.

Ryanair should not be held responsible for human error or incompetence. People feel better blaming Ryanair than themselves I guess.

In your case it says that a booking fee applies and when you picked the appropriate payment method it updated the price accordingly. You just failed to look thus blame Ryanair instead for somehow hiding this price from you.
    I read the price then filled in the erquired info.

Now you're saying its my responsibility to reread the price to check that it hasnt changed. I think Ryan Air were misleading. The price should have either:

A)Been at the bottom, so just before you hit confirm its obvious what you are paying
    B)As the price changes this is highlighted - like on the previous page when you select / unselect options the price of that option is displayed.

Is the cc handling fee different by cc?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    My friend was getin a flight to the uk there last weekend. On the board his flight number said departing from Gate X so he wont down to gate X and said boarding Barcelona. He was waiting for 45minutes and than that flight left and up popped on the board london now boarding so he walked up with his ticket and they said oh that flight has already left. He said well on the board there is says boarding. The rep oh ya theres a problem with that, its the other way round we are boarding barcelona, the other flight was london. He said how was i suppose to know that, i didnt hear an announcement. She replies sorry theres nothing I can do. He went over to the help desk and they said we can put u on another flight in an hour but will cost you 250euro. What the f**k???? Thats a disgrace, thats robbery!!

Flew to Reus last week and similar happened - majority or the passengers sitting at gate x as per the board and then 10 min before boarding, the screen at the gate changed to some other flight
    Board still said gate x and now indicated boarding, then changed to gate y with a few min to go big rush to get to gate with staff shrugging their shoulders and NO ANNOUNCEMENT regarding either change.
    No major big deal but just to point out its not all down to people messing up .
    The boards may be DAA but are Ryanair not the major tenant on that pier? Surely Ryanair pay for the announcement/boards etc and should ensure that their passengers are properly informed ........ unless they see it as a chance to make a bit more money?

One thing that really pissed me off was on return from Reus. The Luggage limit per passenger - fair enough 15kg per passenger. We weighed our bags all 4 of us were below 15Kgs 2 just about but used 3 scales to make sure. Got to the check in, the group on front were going ballistic, 2 of their 5 bags were over and they insisted all their bags were under but asked for the 5 back to switch bits around and were refused, and were told the 3 under weigh were checked in and couldn't be returned. They were then basically told to pay €15 per kilo over and to complain in writing if not happy and to go to the back of the queue if they wanted re-adjust weight to other bags.

Then our turn we threw up the bags not expecting anything and were told 2 were over 1 by 2 kilos the other by 1.5. I told them the weighed previous story and was told either pay €15 per kilo or go to the back of the queue and come back to be re-weighed from back of the queue, i showed on the ticket that it was €10 per kilo - she said it was €15 and if i wasn't paying it to go to the back of the queue. We had friends 5 or os places form top of the queue adjacent so we went to them took bits out of the cases and put into 2 carrier bags. Got to top of queue and now the 17kg case was 13kg i put the carrier bag with the contents of the case on scales at the same time and it added to 14.9kg I pointed this out to the previous desk i was at and she said the scales were correct and if not everyone would complain and then told me to complain if i had a problem. I asked to weigh the case again on her scales and she refused.
    bit of a rant but wasn't happy about what i seen as a blatant attempt to rip a few quid off people.
    Then there was the Ryanair sign at check-in with a boarding procedure on it
    cant remember exact sequence but something like, pic of push chair, pic of wheel chair, then no's 1-89 from boarding card then remaining no's from boarding card. Grand. So got to gate and no gate number for our flight(maybe not Ryan air's fault but certainly not passengers and surely Ryanair should look after their costumers) only 6 gates so no big deal. Anyway with no 43 on my boarding card at least i'd be getting onto a half empty plane, Then the gate opens and the bedlam - rush to the gate , still no announcement nor on any board. The ask for priority passengers (no mention of these in there boarding procedure), then whoever go up , i asked about their notice for boarding procedure, and was told to get back in line, thankfully some decent people let my wife and kids on with them some she could get seats together

Anyway I have no prob with the cheap and cheerful, you get what you pay for etc They are great for trip to UK or wherever - on/off quick like a bus
    But what i seen in the last 2 flights , trying to rip off,pull the wool over people's eyes, not help people , confuse etc has put me right off them
    I never heard such dissent about an airline as waiting in dublin airport for our baggage,everyone i heard was giving out about them particularly over the luggage.

I for one will be avoiding them unless i have to use them in future.

sorry for rant ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

micks wrote: »
    Flew to Reus last week and similar happened - majority or the passengers sitting at gate x as per the board and then 10 min before boarding, the screen at the gate changed to some other flight
    Board still said gate x and now indicated boarding, then changed to gate y with a few min to go big rush to get to gate with staff shrugging their shoulders and NO ANNOUNCEMENT regarding either change.
    Ryanair, AFAIK, are not responsible for what gate they are assigned, and go by the one they usually get. if the airport authority changes this, its not their fault.
    One thing that really pissed me off was on return from Reus. The Luggage limit per passenger - fair enough 15kg per passenger. We weighed our bags all 4 of us were below 15Kgs 2 just about but used 3 scales to make sure. Got to the check in, the group on front were going ballistic, 2 of their 5 bags were over and they insisted all their bags were under but asked for the 5 back to switch bits around and were refused, and were told the 3 under weigh were checked in and couldn't be returned. They were then basically told to pay €15 per kilo over and to complain in writing if not happy and to go to the back of the queue if they wanted re-adjust weight to other bags.

Then our turn we threw up the bags not expecting anything and were told 2 were over 1 by 2 kilos the other by 1.5. I told them the weighed previous story and was told either pay €15 per kilo or go to the back of the queue and come back to be re-weighed from back of the queue, i showed on the ticket that it was €10 per kilo - she said it was €15 and if i wasn't paying it to go to the back of the queue. We had friends 5 or os places form top of the queue adjacent so we went to them took bits out of the cases and put into 2 carrier bags. Got to top of queue and now the 17kg case was 13kg i put the carrier bag with the contents of the case on scales at the same time and it added to 14.9kg I pointed this out to the previous desk i was at and she said the scales were correct and if not everyone would complain and then told me to complain if i had a problem. I asked to weigh the case again on her scales and she refused.
    While I can sympathise with you on this one, The girl there is only doing her job, and gets abused all the time by everyone. its not her fault, or even ryanairs, that the weighin scale is not calibrated properly. Again, it is the airport authority, and you should have addressed your complaint to them. Id suggest telling this story to ryanair and tryin to claim your money back. I wouldnt blame the poor girl, she's just doing her job and cant bend the rules.
    bit of a rant but wasn't happy about what i seen as a blatant attempt to rip a few quid off people.
    cant remember exact sequence but something like, pic of push chair, pic of wheel chair, then no's 1-89 from boarding card then remaining no's from boarding card. Grand. So got to gate and no gate number for our flight(maybe not Ryan air's fault but certainly not passengers and surely Ryanair should look after their costumers) only 6 gates so no big deal. Anyway with no 43 on my boarding card at least i'd be getting onto a half empty plane, Then the gate opens and the bedlam - rush to the gate , still no announcement nor on any board. The ask for priority passengers (no mention of these in there boarding procedure), then whoever go up , i asked about their notice for boarding procedure, and was told to get back in line, thankfully some decent people let my wife and kids on with them some she could get seats together
    Priority boarding is something everyone should know about by now, for one thing its all over the website that you booked the flights on. Just because you have kids doesnt mean you should get on first. if you want to ensure you have seats together, this is what priority boarding is for. Sure its a money making racket, but its effective.

Anyway I have no prob with the cheap and cheerful, you get what you pay for etc They are great for trip to UK or wherever - on/off quick like a bus
    But what i seen in the last 2 flights , trying to rip off,pull the wool over people's eyes, not help people , confuse etc has put me right off them
    I never heard such dissent about an airline as waiting in dublin airport for our baggage,everyone i heard was giving out about them particularly over the luggage.

sorry for rant ;)
    I dont see them as pulling the wool over anyones eyes, they just do stuff by their rules and theres no leeway.

Ive a feeling axer or someone he knows works in ryanair god love them... hence he feels the need to stick up for the team
    No I just use the service alot and see that it is a good service they offer. I could not travel as much without them. I have used the service so much now (about 20ish flights per year for the past 2.5 years). I have never once had a problem with them. Their process is straight forward and I do not expect any better comfort than I would get on a citylink/bus eireann bus (Even though I actually get better comfort).

One time I lost my boarding pass because of a mix up in security. They sorted me out straight away.

99% of the things people blame Ryanair for are their own fault but people just love to give out about Ryanair instead since it is seen as an acceptable thing to do.

Now you're saying its my responsibility to reread the price to check that it hasnt changed. I think Ryan Air were misleading. The price should have either:

A)Been at the bottom, so just before you hit confirm its obvious what you are paying
    B)As the price changes this is highlighted - like on the previous page when you select / unselect options the price of that option is displayed.

Is the cc handling fee different by cc?
    Yes, it was your responsibility to check the price. It says beside the credit card fee that a charge applies. If you wanted to check the charge then you could have clicked on the link.

It says on the summary above where you enter the payment information:
    Total Payment AmountExcluding handling fee
    Letting you know that the handling fee has not yet been applied to the total.

There is no charge for using a Visa electron card.

It was your mistake not Ryanair's.

The boards may be DAA but are Ryanair not the major tenant on that pier? Surely Ryanair pay for the announcement/boards etc and should ensure that their passengers are properly informed ........ unless they see it as a chance to make a bit more money?
    I very much doubt that Ryanair change the display to make some extra money. That would more than likely be a problem with the DAA.
    How can we confirm that the customers were correct in that the bags were under the weight limit? Maybe they were not. The bags were probably on a conveyor belt on the way to the airplane. They wouldn't be able to be returned.
    Did you put all the carrier bags on the scales or just one? Does it not show on the desk what the weight of the bag is?
    Their policy is boarding priority customers first - which is the fair way to do it and then everyone else. Often the signs that are up are for easyjet etc who use the same gate. I have never seen ryanair signs with numbers on them since they never operated like that.

sorry for rant ;)
    Ryanair are really just a bus and if you fly with them you should not expect anything more than that. If you want something more then use one of the more expensive airlines. I have heard easyjet are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I generally find Ryanair pretty good. Flying is a real pain in the ass at the moment because of all the security nonsense, and everyone gets a bit harried. But they're generally nice enough - within the limits of a group of people who aren't well paid and are rather overworked.

I bought a bunch of flights to London for €8 (the credit card fee) each, so I'm happy with the cost.

Once you get used to the website, it's ok - you just have to watch the choices like a hawk so you make sure you haven't paid for checked luggage or insurance.

It is a nuisance that they keep changing the rules - last month I was in the 'priority' queue because I'd checked in online; this month I'm not.

Damn a difference to me, though, really - if I'm not in the priority queue I just sit and wait and board last, rather than standing in the queue.

I'd prefer to fly Aer Arann, but they don't seem to fly from Dublin to London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

personally, i love sitting in the airport/on the plane, and laughing at all the people around me getting super stressed out. its ridiculous sometimes, everyone seems to have this "i shouldnt have to queue, do you know who i am? I'm on my way abroad damn it, i must be important!" attitude. "your tea is HOW MUCH?!?" lol. "Why should I take off my shoes?!" "What do you mean my belt has metal on it?! How dare you!! Im no terrorist!", " I know you're not let bring liquids through, but this is only lucozade, honest!" "why are the bags taking so long, I'm off the plane 30 seconds damn it!"

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

Last time I wanted to go to Cork (from Detroit), it was peak season, and tickets were $1,700. I flew into Gatwick for $900, and then from there to Cork for free one way, and 99c the way back to London to catch my flight home. After taxes and everything, I saved $750. Yes, I had to transfer my bags myself at Gatwick, the service was poor, and the seats uncomfortable, but the flight was only an hour I think it was well worth the $750.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

what person uses one of the most brutal films ever made as a user name :rolleyes:. just an observation...

Given your inability to spell, punctuate, read basic instructions and successfully navigate your way through Dublin Airport I'd imagine it went over your head. Just an observation.;)

you really are annoying :o

killbillvol2 what a stupid name :o

zuroph wrote: »
    Ryanair, AFAIK, are not responsible for what gate they are assigned, and go by the one they usually get. if the airport authority changes this, its not their fault.

That may be I'm not up with the mechanics of how the Airport operates, but I'm sure that I like other had a contract with Ryanair for them to provide a service and what ever facilities they decide to use to do that is their choice but they still owe it to me to provide the service, their staff make the announcement at the gate there was no announcement FACT.
    While I can sympathise with you on this one, The girl there is only doing her job, and gets abused all the time by everyone. its not her fault, or even ryanairs, that the weighin scale is not calibrated properly. Again, it is the airport authority, and you should have addressed your complaint to them. Id suggest telling this story to ryanair and tryin to claim your money back. I wouldnt blame the poor girl, she's just doing her job and cant bend the rules.
    So basically RA can set a weight limit and use inaccurate equipment to measure this weight and its not their fault if the equipment is inaccurate and of course they get to charge you for the privilege, at a rate that RA can change when they want?
    The poor girl was well able to handle herself and not abused by anyone just questioned to which she answered either pay or get to the back of the queue! I did not nor am not blaming her .

Priority boarding is something everyone should know about by now, for one thing its all over the website that you booked the flights on. Just because you have kids doesnt mean you should get on first. if you want to ensure you have seats together, this is what priority boarding is for. Sure its a money making racket, but its effective.

This may be but the signage was confusing the equation that's all. Bit of clarity and no one would have an issue i'm sure, but clarity and ryanair dont go hand in hand do they.

I dont see them as pulling the wool over anyones eyes, they just do stuff by their rules and theres no leeway.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the issue IMO everything with RA is another way to make a buck

I very much doubt that Ryanair change the display to make some extra money. That would more than likely be a problem with the DAA.
    We'll never know , I've never experienced it but i know a good few that have been late for boarding with many airlines including RA all get called but the ones with this experience with RA got to the gate late and were booted off the flight and charged another fare to fly again maybe justified, as i say i've never been late but yet another example of RA making more mun
    How can we confirm that the customers were correct in that the bags were under the weight limit? Maybe they were not. The bags were probably on a conveyor belt on the way to the airplane. They wouldn't be able to be returned.
    we cant and they prob were gone but the issue is the clarity of the whole situation - how can you keep below a weight if the scales are inaccurate? Imagine doing 95 km/hr on a 100km/hr road and a garda pulls you and does you for being over the speed limit ?

Did you put all the carrier bags on the scales or just one? Does it not show on the desk what the weight of the bag is?
    There was 2 cases each had bits taken out and placed in 2 seperate carrier bags. 1 case and the bits that were taken out of it (now in 1 carrier bag) were placed on the 2nd scales and weighed 14.9 having previously weighed 17. There was a difference in the scales
    Their policy is boarding priority customers first - which is the fair way to do it and then everyone else. Often the signs that are up are for easyjet etc who use the same gate. I have never seen ryanair signs with numbers on them since they never operated like that.

Fair enough but as i say its the lack of clarity
    Ryanair are really just a bus and if you fly with them you should not expect anything more than that. If you want something more then use one of the more expensive airlines. I have heard easyjet are good.
    I agree and wasn't expecting anything else but can you imagine getting the 79 bus at Eden Quay only to get there, queue, and just before the bus was due to leave be told it was leaving from Aston Quay?
    At over €300 a head return I seems i did pick one of the more expensive airlines!
    I'll learn from this and if possible will be avoiding RA in future

I went there expecting the bus but was p1ssed off by what I saw was a disregard for customers and tried to rip people off at every opportunity that's my opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I can't really find a clear resolution to this on their site, and the customer support is off for the weekend, so maybe someone here will know.

I booked flights for myself and two mates to Prague from next week to the 27th of August. I got a confirmation email on Friday saying the outward flight was correct but the return flight was 27th of March, 2009. So I immediately logged into my booking on Ryanair's site to change it. On changing to the "proper" date I see there's a total charge of €187 - first thoughts: Feck.

There's no way I could have picked this date. I can't think of any actual proof of it though. Its not like I took a screenshot or anything. So I imagine i'm screwed. Anything I could possibly do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

At the time of booking did you receive an itinerary email? Can you locate it? Or was this email the initial email?

Yes, it was your responsibility to check the price.

I did check the price, I didnt check that it hadnt changed. Since this is a transaction Ive done a hundred times before, and a transaction Ive done with Ryanair before, I had no reason to expect it would. And thats what Ryan air were hoping for, that they could slip in a charge without people noticing but still have a solid defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Yeah I did, and looking at it again it says the incorrect date.

But the time difference shouldn't matter, its that I didn't pick that date - its in 2009!

Advertisement