Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Merits of a "D" reg for Hilux import ?

• 18-01-2008 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I'm bringing in a new Toyota Hilux from the u.k,top spec,wonder if there's any advantage of getting a D reg for it,or will it have as good second-hand value with a country reg ?
    Thank's for your thoughts !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It gets registered to your address, so wherever that is will determine the reg, unless you have a couple of addresses of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm just curious. How does the letter on the number plate increase the value of the vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm just curious. How does the letter on the number plate increase the value of the vehicle?

Maybe you culchies are picky about not being seen to be a jackeen. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

some people believe that there is less chance of it having been offroad if its a dublin reg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Stekelly wrote: »
    Maybe you culchies are picky about not being seen to be a jackeen. :)

My current car is TS reg. Didn't bother me when I bought it.

The only thing I notice is the amount of other drivers with their mouths open because I use my indicators and don't sit in the overtaking lane. :p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

green123 wrote: »
    some people believe that there is less chance of it having been offroad if its a dublin reg

I think thats quite a valid point for 4x4, people will think it has had a quieter life:) and as such there will be less wear and tear than there would be with various off roading.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,608 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As Stated.. "D" reg would be seen as have an eaier life. If you can register it in dublin i would. Without all the Culchie slagging the D reg tends to be seen as a healtier option when sale comes around just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Invincible

listermint wrote: »
    As Stated.. "D" reg would be seen as have an eaier life. If you can register it in dublin i would. Without all the Culchie slagging the D reg tends to be seen as a healtier option when sale comes around just the way it is.

Well,from what I've heard,dubs have a thing about their plates,know someone whose brother-in-law is from Dublin,when looking to buy a BMW last year,would'nt consider a car unless it had the D reg.Is it snobbery,I wonder:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

As discussed in the other thread 'D' reg snobbery does exist, whether we agree with it or not.

I know loads of people who have non-D reg cars and when bringing them to garages for trade-in dealers have told them they don't want them, due to the reg

Many dublin drivers only want a D reg :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Personally I have always avoided D regs due to the likelihood of city driving. I can only imagine the wear and tear on the clutch and the stop start driving.

• Advertisement
Advertisement