Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should 2 wifi routers sharing same SSID and key be also on same channel?

• 30-04-2015 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

I have two wifi routers to extend the coverage around the house... Should the 2 wifi routers sharing same SSID and key be also on same channel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No, definitely not.

If you're using a "dumb" repeater, then it uses the same channel (it has to) and thus halves throughput. If youve setup dual APs the whole point is to avoid this.

Leave at least 1 channel in between the two as a guard band, so if AP1 is on CH5 then AP2 shouldnt be on CH4 or CH6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

It will overlap on more than one channel either side, there are only 3 non overlapping channels in 2.4Ghz, 1,6 and 11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Thanks lads,

All sorted now. Cheers!

I often wondered about this myself. From my own experience, if I didn't put them on the same channel, a roaming device tended to cling on to its original AP for a long as possible before the connection dropped and connected to the closer AP. Whereas it seemed to transition smoothly if the two were on the same channel.

So while I know you're not meant to put the two on the same channel, that seemed to be the only way I could get it to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Karsini wrote: »
    I often wondered about this myself. From my own experience, if I didn't put them on the same channel, a roaming device tended to cling on to its original AP for a long as possible before the connection dropped and connected to the closer AP. Whereas it seemed to transition smoothly if the two were on the same channel.

So while I know you're not meant to put the two on the same channel, that seemed to be the only way I could get it to work.

You can get apps to fix that, they check every so often and move to the better signal. Roaming is very poor on Android, Apple devices cope a little better, Windows is a mixed bag. It's down to the device and the driver for the radio itself, how often it looks for an AP with a better signal. Besides interfering, two on the same channel can create broadcast storms and lag as both APs receive and forwards broadcasts at the same time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement