Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*WIT*Food science with business in Waterford IT

• 28-03-2015 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi

I'm looking information regards to the course ''food science with business'' in WIT, I like to know what people think of the course as physics is a bit off putting for me but the rest of the modules look great. Also how where is the best place to live in sept 2015. I currently have done 3 years in another college but am starting first year again and I'm not a mature student.

Also like peoples thoughts on Templers Halls estate for living in ?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Thank you.

Can't comment on Food Science, but Templars Hall sounds about right for your age. It's mostly over 21s there. It's my third year in Templars now and have never had any issues there. It's <10 minute walk to the college (2 minute drive) and has a large Tesco/Aldi near it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭kingsofoffaly

callaway92 wrote: »
    Can't comment on Food Science, but Templars Hall sounds about right for your age. It's mostly over 21s there. It's my third year in Templars now and have never had any issues there. It's <10 minute walk to the college (2 minute drive) and has a large Tesco/Aldi near it too.

Thanks callaway, I've been in it before on big nights out so I know my way around but living in it is a different story, what's the security like now? Haven't been in it since last year

And has it changed much? Is it quiet? Where would be the Best area to live in it

Thanks callaway, I've been in it before on big nights out so I know my way around but living in it is a different story, what's the security like now? Haven't been in it since last year

There's CCTV cameras (on lightpoles) on every street in Templars now which pretty much cover the whole estate and have actually prevented some anti-social behaviour recently and also having images of people up on the Students Union's Facebook page. There's a van that goes around on Wednesday nights too basically stopping any people acting the fool in the estate.

It has improved tenfold throughout the last few years.
    And has it changed much? Is it quiet? Where would be the Best area to live in it

Has improved a lot as I said above. It's quiet most days/evenings bar some Wednesdays/Christmas Day/RAG Week - which to be fair is expected.

Can't comment on the best area to live in, but I've never had any problems in the Briot Walk area. Generally I'd try to avoid living in any of the houses at the front of the estate and ones on the main road of the estate also.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

There's CCTV cameras (on lightpoles) on every street in Templars now which pretty much cover the whole estate and have actually prevented some anti-social behaviour recently and also having images of people up on the Students Union's Facebook page. There's a van that goes around on Wednesday nights too basically stopping any people acting the fool in the estate.

It has improved tenfold throughout the last few years.

Has improved a lot as I said above. It's quiet most days/evenings bar some Wednesdays/Christmas Day/RAG Week - which to be fair is expected.

Can't comment on the best area to live in, but I've never had any problems in the Briot Walk area. Generally I'd try to avoid living in any of the houses at the front of the estate and ones on the main road of the estate also.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

I was in biot walk two years ago for a party, not a bad street. I really am set on living in Templar but of course my parents still pay the rent lol. My mother wants me to live in manor village, I don't know would it be suitable at my age ? what do you suggest ? As I've lived in student complex all my college life so you know parents.

• Advertisement

I was in biot walk two years ago for a party, not a bad street. I really am set on living in Templar but of course my parents still pay the rent lol. My mother wants me to live in manor village, I don't know would it be suitable at my age ? what do you suggest ? As I've lived in student complex all my college life so you know parents.

There's pros and cons I could give you for living in Manor Village really.

Pros are that it's safe and secure, you'll get to know loads of people and that it's close to the main nightclubs etc.

Cons are that if you're walking, it's a good bit away from the campus you'd be at (AT Building/Cork Road campus), so if it's raining you're screwed unless you get the early bus from there. As well as that, don't mind what anyone says, the internet is fairly appalling there. One more thing is that 95% of students living there would be genuine first years (18 y/o or so). You may also have trouble getting non-residents in to your apartment at night.

If you know people in Templars to move in with, I'd go there. If you go in by yourself to live with randomers you run the slight risk of not getting on with them. You'll make friends wither way wherever you go though.

Cons for Templars is that of course, like any house estate, when nobody is at home you run the risk of burglary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 corrinekho

Hi

I'm looking information regards to the course ''food science with business'' in WIT, I like to know what people think of the course as physics is a bit off putting for me but the rest of the modules look great. Also how where is the best place to live in sept 2015. I currently have done 3 years in another college but am starting first year again and I'm not a mature student.

Thank you.

Hi ! I am a student from Malaysia and i already get the offer of Food Science with Business in WIT for sep 2015 . However the sad thing is , i really want to find someone that study in wit food science to get more information about it before decide to study there but to no avail. I am so sad. I have so many problems about this course. Btw, i dont think physics is important in this course.

corrinekho wrote: »
    Hi ! I am a student from Malaysia and i already get the offer of Food Science with Business in WIT for sep 2015 . However the sad thing is , i really want to find someone that study in wit food science to get more information about it before decide to study there but to no avail. I am so sad. I have so many problems about this course. Btw, i dont think physics is important in this course.

Hi I know your problem as I an unable to find someone that has done it, but I believe its a very very good course. what problems do you have? I might be able to answer them. WIT is a lovely college to study in, you'll enjoy it and if you come, you'll be in my course.

Besides, i heard that riverwalk accomodation is a very nice and cheap place to live in .

do you think a food science student need to have good cooking skill? I am bad in cooking so i wonder if i not really suit this course.

• Advertisement

corrinekho wrote: »
    do you think a food science student need to have good cooking skill? I am bad in cooking so i wonder if i not really suit this course.

there no cooking involved lol its all science. did you not look at the subjects? you also go out to a farm to see all about where comes from. I think you need to read more into it. And i've got my accomendation in templars

there no cooking involved lol its all science. did you not look at the subjects? you also go out to a farm to see all about where comes from. I think you need to read more into it. And i've got my accomendation in templars

I had looked into the subjects. I just wondering if people who are not keen in cooking maybe not really suitable to study food science-- from the personality side. After all , I will think wisely to make decision. All the best to you!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ss3kev

Hi everyone.
    I'm just writing to confirm that I completed that course in 2011 and completed the add on course for it in 2012 in WIT. The course leader is Eleanor Kent and she is a very helpful lady. The year I completed it was the first year it was introduced to WIT so we were kind of the guinea pigs for the course. I have read some of your comments but not all of them. If you have any questions feel free to direct them at me and I will be happy to answer. For the course food science with business there is no cooking involved but for the add on year food science and innovation cooking is involved but cooking skill is not necessary as they will teach you from scratch.

Advertisement