Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Piratebay ISP block (See Mod Note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Will you still be able to get around it using Tor or something similar?

1984 is arriving sooner than I thought:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

There are literally hundreds of workarounds. VPN's, proxies, mirrors, etc.

That is, if UPC don't fight it, which they have in the past.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

It's such madness. As if an alternative site wont pop up tomorrow / isn't already there.

Stop your f*ckin' whining about CD sales going down the toilet and hurry up with the high quality legal streaming services FFS. People will pay for that!!!! (or sit through ads).
    mordeith wrote: »
    I imagine SKY broadband will be delighted (unless they already block it)

Why SKY specifically?

Khannie wrote: »
    It's such madness. As if an alternative site wont pop up tomorrow / isn't already there.

Stop your f*ckin' whining about CD sales going down the toilet and hurry up with the high quality legal streaming services FFS. People will pay for that!!!! (or sit through ads).

Why SKY specifically?

Weren't listed on the ISP's that were ordered by the d!ckhead judge. So one could assume that they are not obliged to block it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Prodigious wrote: »
    Weren't listed on the ISP's that were ordered by the d!ckhead judge. So one could assume that they are not obliged to block it.

Exactly. A lot of people probably wouldn't be aware of work arounds and so will jump ship to SKY from their current ISP if they can access it with SKY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

I think Sky block Pirate Bay already?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I think Sky block Pirate Bay already?

They may do. I have no idea

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Sky broadband UK blocks them afaik, I'm not sure if Sky Ireland blocks it. Can anyone who has/had Sky confirm?
    EMI, Sony, Warner Music and Universal claim Pirate Bay activities causing them €20m losses annually

And how much losses are caused by your incompetence to move on, oh mighty ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Sky broadband UK blocks them afaik, I'm not sure if Sky Ireland blocks it. Can anyone who has/had Sky confirm?

It's not blocked for me on Sky.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

3wayswitch wrote: »
    It's not blocked for me on Sky.

ISPs have 30 days to implement the blocking, in fairness I think Sky will follow suit. It would be in their "interest" to try limit certain types of downloading. It's a worrying move to see courts ruled by judges who havn't a clue about technology can have sites blocked just like that. Of course further proof that "money talks".
    This will only open the floodgates for other sites to receive the same treatment tpb got, and a judge can simply sign away and it gets blocked. Not good..

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    ISPs have 30 days to implement the blocking, in fairness I think Sky will follow suit. It would be in their "interest" to try limit certain types of downloading. It's a worrying move to see courts ruled by judges who havn't a clue about technology can have sites blocked just like that. Of course further proof that "money talks".
    This will only open the floodgates for other sites to receive the same treatment tpb got, and a judge can simply sign away and it gets blocked. Not good..

Nick

I don't see any reason for Sky to follow suit. I expect they will remain neutral and not change a thing.

Anyone who wants to read about the case: Link

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

The judge was only applying the law.

It was this that made it happen,

JUNIOR MINISTER SEÁN Sherlock has this afternoon confirmed that the controversial statutory instrument that reinforces online copyright laws in Ireland has been signed into law.

The controversial ‘Irish SOPA’ legislation was the subject of much debate last month amid concerns it would limit internet freedom. Today Sherlock confirmed that the European Union (Copyright and Related Rights) Regulations 2012 has been signed into law.

Should be minister for censorship instead of Minister for Research and Innovation

Innovation my hole. Either he's incredibly stupid or money changed hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Innovation my hole. Either he's incredibly stupid or money changed hands.

What a ridiculous statement.
    (Why limit it to either/or?) :)

EU to block the blockers?
    The EU will ban Internet service providers from manipulating and blocking access to certain websites, according to a European Commission official.

Source.

Ah well. Sure at least the lawyers made some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Sky rent their broadband from BT who are not on the list but don't they use Vodafone...would've thought they're covering all bases since it's pretty much Eircom that have the landlines, UPC for the cable and all the mobiles..so you're screwed all ways.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

There are literally hundreds of workarounds. VPN's, proxies, mirrors, etc.
    Not to mention the most obvious workaround... Google!

fritzelly wrote: »
    Sky rent their broadband from BT who are not on the list but don't they use Vodafone...would've thought they're covering all bases since it's pretty much Eircom that have the landlines, UPC for the cable and all the mobiles..so you're screwed all ways.

Sky are not on the list only because they weren't offering bb when the initial court case took place. They are under no obligation to enforce this block, the fact that BT resell the BB to them is irrelevant, likewise they are using the Eircom network along with Vodafone and the others.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Why SKY specifically?

Spotify?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Or grooveshark. Been using grooveshark for 5+ years. Free high quality legal streaming has been around for quite some time now.

Karlitto wrote: »
    Spotify?

Oh sorry, I meant video at the end of my rant there. It should probably have said DVD. I use spotify and think it's great. It's a real game changer. I hope they make a mint out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Oh sorry, I meant video at the end of my rant there. It should probably have said DVD. I use spotify and think it's great. It's a real game changer. I hope they make a mint out of it.

Yep, it is fantastic, basically it is Netflix for music :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I am forced to use an Eircom connection some of the time and I often forget they have it banned because I use The Pirate Bay Forwarder :: Add-ons for Firefox - Mozilla Add-ons. When you put thepiratebay.se etc into Firefox it automatically redirects you to a working mirror instantly so the whole thing in seamless. I am sure some of these mirrors have ads and popups but I do not see them as I use Ad Block Plus with Easylist, Fanboylist, and 'allow some unintrusive advertising' disabled, along with Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon, and Flashblock.

Hi folks, can we not be providing any workarounds on how to access the pirate bay at present. This could be considered dodgy so as a result best avoided :) . Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

yoyo wrote: »
    Hi folks, can we not be providing any workarounds on how to access the pirate bay at present. This could be considered dodgy so as a result best avoided :) . Thanks!

No problem, I did not know there was a problem doing that as people have already mentioned using mirrors and proxies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

fritzelly wrote: »

the following isp's rent lines from eircom wholesale (so if your line is crap on eircom retail it will still be crap on any of the following isp)

Eircom Retail
    BT Ireland (yes BT ireland rent lines from eircom wholesale)
    Pure telecom
    Imagine
    Digiweb
    Magnet
    Utv

the following isp use BT wholesale

Sky Broadband
    Vodafone
    Three
    O2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

My ISP doesnt block it.

Its pointless blocking it anyway, so many obvious workarounds for anyone who spends 30 seconds on Google.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 nmop_apisdn

Block Google I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Block Google I say.

Don't joke. I say that's in the pipeline, they'll be demanding Google remove information on how to access copyright material.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement