Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Voice Of Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

seachto7 wrote: »
    Do any of the 99.9% female fans posting on Bressie's FB page, and the 0.01% Gay men know any of his songs? ;)

I don't fit into either of the above categories, but I was saw him at Oxegen a few years ago. He put on a decent show, 'Can't stay young forever' is a good tune.

There wasn't a huge crowd there - I only wandered in to see him because there was nothing else on at the time, but I can say I was there before Bressie-mania swept the Nation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84,921 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Skid wrote: »
    I don't fit into either of the above categories, but I was him at Oxegen a few years ago. He put on a decent show, 'Can't stay young forever' is a good tune.

There wasn't a huge crowd there - I only wandered in to see him because there was nothing else on at the time, but I can say I was there before Bressie-mania swept the Nation :)

:eek::p

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    :eek::p

:o

Oh dear - just to clarify I am not, nor have I ever been, Bressie

Not in reality anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

:o

Oh dear - just to clarify I am not, nor have I ever been, Bressie

Not in reality anyway :)

Pic's for verification Skid!:p

I would have liked to see the semi finalists all record the same original song and perform on the show last night in their own style instead of covers tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I would have liked to see the semi finalists all record the same original song and perform on the show last night in their own style instead of covers tbh

Or, failing that, do better (versions of) songs. Iirc, there was one up-tempo song and the rest were dreary ballads/dreary ballad versions of up-tempo songs. Ugh, I say. Disappointing.

Pat is off to a flying start according to the current itunes Chart, he is at number 1 at the moment, although it can be volatile.

Pat at #1
    Richie at #9
    Vanessa at #12
    Jim at #31

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Pretty much the way I saw it going. Pat has it in the bag, Richie is very likeable, vanessa only fits a certain niche and to be honest, I don't know how Jim got this far. I thought Liam was better than him.

One thing to note though is that most people in the north use Uk iTunes so Jim's support will be fairly limited from that point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Same, charts are as expected

The show is always gonna be a chart/pop popularity contest

I'd say Pat will win, and Vanessa will do well after the show regardless, but cant see much happenin with the others

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Richie climbed up to 6th as of now. Vanessa is ninth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Surely Pat will win this, I like Richie he is talented and i'd enjoy listening to him too. Yer one Vanessa is good at that opera muck, but i hate it. She might as well have sang same song al the way thru...so boring zzzzz

And Jim, just no hope...gonna be 4th no matter what.

Richie would probably be doing better if he'd been smarter with his song choice; he could even have won. But Pat has it in the bag.

Genuine question: Who the hell is Jim?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its a hard voting method considering the vast amount of people who 1) don't have internet, 2) are not computer literate, 3) don't have iTunes.

Its a great way of generating in revenue for the show and the icing on the cake is that text/phone voting resumes for the show once downloads stop on Saturday at midnight.

If the current chart is anything to go by, the others are going to have to seriously pull in a large amount of phone votes to be in the running. Pat seems to be considerably ahead but its only the first day and Richie has climbed a few spots so he could get a surge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Man Pat!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Jim is a farmer so he had the rural vote.

Re the Bressie obsession. I always thought he was super hot when he was in the Blizzards but since he shaved those sideburns for his solo career, his attractiveness has now reached epic proportions. So far, I think his solo stuff has been pretty **** to be honest (Breaking my Fall is ok though) but who cares? Just look at him....what I wouldn't do for a night with him....

Ahem, sorry - back to the topic at hand....Pat will win it hands down for sure. Richie is very talented but will stay in panto. Vanessa bores me to tears and Jim is just forgettable - however I actually think if he brought out a country album, it might do well in the West/North West of the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Is the wee dwarf going to win this?

I stopped watching after the chair-swinging episodes ended.....

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Paddy Power has Pat narrowly ahead of Vanessa, with the other two some way adrift

Pat Byrne 8/11
    Vanessa Whelan 6/5
    Richie Hayes 10/1
    Jim Devine 18/1

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/tv-specials/voice-of-ireland

I think the iTunes sales are a fair indication of the genuine popularity of each contestant (other than the possibility that Jim's support is understated in the published Irish iTunes Charts, seeing as he is from the North)

But I wonder how many text and phone votes will be made relative to the downloads? People making multiple text and phone votes could mean that the itunes figures are reversed. It might come down to who has the best poster campaign once again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

But I wonder how many text and phone votes will be made relative to the downloads? People making multiple text and phone votes could mean that the itunes figures are reversed. It might come down to who has the best poster campaign once again (

So it's really no different to the All Ireland Talent Show?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Is it possible that the competition could be over before Sunday if Pat keeps on getting the downloads? Have they weighted the votes in such a way as to stop this from happening?

Is it possible that the competition could be over before Sunday if Pat keeps on getting the downloads? Have they weighted the votes in such a way as to stop this from happening?

Each single download counts as a vote so I really think Pat has it sewn up. I don't really agree with the way they're doing it but he's gonna win either way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

lizt wrote: »
    Each single download counts as a vote so I really think Pat has it sewn up. I don't really agree with the way they're doing it but he's gonna win either way!

I want him to win but it does seem unfair. I would be shocked if he doesn't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I am sure they can ad NI votes to the downloads. If they wanted.

Richie would probably be doing better if he'd been smarter with his song choice; he could even have won. But Pat has it in the bag.

Genuine question: Who the hell is Jim?

Richie would have been better with Jim's song choice the Garth Brook's song

Richie has dropped to 7th, Vanessa and Pat no change. Must be a lot of votes between Pat and the other candidates.

Early days alright. Shall be interesting to see if it changes at all this evening. A lot of ground to catch up on!

Elmo wrote: »
    I am sure they can ad NI votes to the downloads. If they wanted.

Yeah the only way for people in northern Ireland to vote is to phone in. The songs aren't available in the uk iTunes.

lizt wrote: »
    Yeah the only way for people in northern Ireland to vote is to phone in. The songs aren't available in the uk iTunes.

???? I am sure iTunes could localize sales in the UK. And why can't the songs be on iTunes UK? Or iTunes internationally.

Richie would have been better with Jim's song choice the Garth Brook's song

Yep. He did himself a disservice by picking a song that nobody knew.
    ???? I am sure iTunes could localize sales in the UK. And why can't the songs be on iTunes UK? Or iTunes internationally.

They can be but they're not cos RTE is retarded.

Apparently the songs are only available on Irish Itunes, according to a post by The Voice on their Facebook account

Someone asked
    None of the iTune singles are available to download outside the republic of Ireland - is this right?

to which the official Voice Facebook account replied ...
    The Voice of Ireland Yes, all the singles have been released on iTunes Ireland only. x

https://www.facebook.com/thevoiceofireland

That is poor form, anyone entering from the North (like Jim) has a huge disadavantage. I don't know how much it would cost to list the songs on UK iTunes, but it's a shame they are not more available to a wider potential audience.

Did they actually end that reply with an x
    ???

• Advertisement

Should be The Voice of Republic of Ireland :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement