Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Imagine! Wimax have a future?

• 13-06-2015 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭

With the roll out of Siro/Eircom FTTH to most of the major towns by the end of the decade I can't see Imagine! being able to compete with it. Satellite is even offering up to 22MB (though the fastest I've ever seen it was 6-8MB) these days and here in rural Ireland I get 12-14MB Meteor midband 4G

It the next 5 years it will up to 10MB vs 70-1GB in most of the major towns and cities.

If (and that's a big IF) the NBP comes to fruition apart from the odd farm house up the mountain which would probably be served by fixed wireless there would be no market for it.

My sister had it in Thurles before she got UPC. At the start she had a lot of problems and it took them a few days to fix any issues she was having but when it did work it wasn't too bad (it was a lot more reliable than 3G back then). At that time (2010) Eircom were offering up to 24mb and UPC were around 25-100mb (depending on package). They were only 3-7mb.

Writing was on the wall back then. Today eFibre is up to 100mb and UPC is up to 240MB. I always believed they should have served the villages nearby outside the town which have no broadband (Two-mile Borris, Horse and Jockey, Bouladuff etc) it probably would have bought them another 4-5 years in business.

I'd love to know how many people are using it in most of the major towns. I'd say Imagine! has less than 500 customers left in Thurles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Chris___ wrote: »
    With the roll out of Siro/Eircom FTTH to most of the major towns by the end of the decade I can't see Imagine! being able to compete with it. Satellite is even offering up to 22MB (though the fastest I've ever seen it was 6-8MB) these days and here in rural Ireland I get 12-14MB Meteor midband 4G

It the next 5 years it will up to 10MB vs 70-1GB in most of the major towns and cities.

If (and that's a big IF) the NBP comes to fruition apart from the odd farm house up the mountain which would probably be served by fixed wireless there would be no market for it.

My sister had it in Thurles before she got UPC. At the start she had a lot of problems and it took them a few days to fix any issues she was having but when it did work it wasn't too bad (it was a lot more reliable than 3G back then). At that time (2010) Eircom were offering up to 24mb and UPC were around 25-100mb (depending on package). They were only 3-7mb.

Writing was on the wall back then. Today eFibre is up to 100mb and UPC is up to 240MB. I always believed they should have served the villages nearby outside the town which have no broadband (Two-mile Borris, Horse and Jockey, Bouladuff etc) it probably would have bought them another 4-5 years in business.

I'd love to know how many people are using it in most of the major towns. I'd say Imagine! has less than 500 customers left in Thurles.
    They probably do ok they could sell there product through FTTH and so could the other wisp.I wouldn't touch imagine again doh even if I got FTTH through the NBP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

No, Imagine only do mobile Wimax, the majority of users get a self install dongle that struggles through walls and obstacles

Fixed Wimax is a whole different ball game though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Imagine's Wireless implementation is poor, as was their predecessors, the reason was to save about €200 per install.
    They are using Mobile / Nomadic Wimax on a band only suitable for External Aerial based fixed Wireless.
    Intel was original backer and has lost interest.
    Their base supplier was Motorola who sold that division to Nokia Siemens Networks (Now Nokia).

Comreg should have prohibited them wasting spectrum installing such a poorly engineered system using FWALA Licence. It's at least 8x less effective performance than true fixed WiMax.

So called "Soft touch" regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

http://www.imagine.ie/fibreconnect/#top

Includes everything, LTE broadband, home phone & mobile app.
    €59.99per month
    Broadband Speed Up To 70Mb
    All Local Calls Included
    All National Call Included
    Home Phone On Your Mobile
    20Gb of Daily Data
    Smart TV Box (One off purchase of €43.99)

€40.00per month
    30Gb a Month Limit, €1 per Gb there after

Smart TV box is just one of those android boxes you can buy on eBay for €39

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

http://www.imagine.ie/fibreconnect/#top

Includes everything, LTE broadband, home phone & mobile app.
    €59.99per month
    All Local Calls Included
    All National Call Included
    Home Phone On Your Mobile
    20Gb of Daily Data

€40.00per month
    30Gb a Month Limit, €1 per Gb there after

Smart TV box is just one of those android boxes you can buy on eBay for €39
    That 20Gb cap a day a big problem for normal user and people who have kids and forget it if your extreme downloader with €1 per Gb sound like a mobile product.The €60 a month that expensive I wonder why they can't just do a monthly download.

• Advertisement
Advertisement