Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fluence or Mazda3 ?

• 06-02-2014 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Currently thinking of changing myself.

I have a 2010 Fluence TomTom 1.5, has been a great car on fuel and spec.. I also have a 07 focus as second car..

Anyway, getting a good deal from Renault to come up to RLInk top spec Fleuence, comparison to the new mazda 3 exec Se model, which although the List price is 2k more, the deal is working out 3k more..

Even though I like the mazda it isnt any bigger then fluence apart from engine (2.2 v 1.5 )
    hard to say if i will ever see the 3k diff again..

Never has a mazda, anyone with experience good or bad ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

savic04 wrote: »

I have a 2010 Fluence TomTom 1.5, has been a great car on fuel and spec.. I also have a 07 focus as second car..

Anyway, getting a good deal from Renault to come up to RLInk top spec Fleuence, comparison to the new mazda 3 exec Se model, which although the List price is 2k more, the deal is working out 3k more..

Even though I like the mazda it isnt any bigger then fluence apart from engine (2.2 v 1.5 )

I think changing a 2010 Fluence for another is madness. The car is an aging design and Renault have far more exciting designs coming over the next few years. Your new Fluence will look very old hat a 2 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

Thats true too, i normally change every 3 years, left it 4 this time.

Least the Mazda 3 is a new model I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I'd pay the extra for the Mazda. Price a few more dealers - It's a far, far superior car.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

3K is a bit stiff, but the 3 is pretty attractive, I would choose it over the Fluence if the difference was half of that. Facelift Fluence doesn't look bad (especially compared to a 2010) and this car seems to tick all the boxes (kit, economy, comfort, resale value) but doesn't have the X-factor!
    Any feedback on quality/reliability on the Fluence ?

Have to say the 2010 Fluence TomTom has been a great buy, super spec and 5 year warranty.
    The Fuel has been a real star average (city/long distance drive 5.3l/100km, motorway its often way less.....
    Would never have bought a Renault in a million years but got a good deal on it and 5 year warranty so took a chance

Im thinking of keeping it as the second car and selling my focus instead, then going no trade in for a 2014
    Insginia SC or Mazda 3 Exec SE, which i can get for same price (Insignia is a demo with 86km on it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

Have to say the 2010 Fluence TomTom has been a great buy, super spec and 5 year warranty.
    The Fuel has been a real star average (city/long distance drive 5.3l/100km, motorway its often way less.....
    Would never have bought ha Renault in a million years but got a good deal on it and 5 year warranty so took a chance

Im thinking of keeping it as the second car and selling my focus instead, then going no trade in for a 2014
    Insginia SC or Mazda 3 Exec SE, which i can get for same price (Insignia is a demo with 86km on it)

One of the lads in work got the new Mazda 3 saloon great looking car with a excellent spec have it over a opel anyday. I'm waiting for a new golf to arrive so it will be interesting to see how much there worth in 2017 !

My only gripe with new Mazda is the size. Its a lot smaller then Insignia, spec is fairly the same... couple of things diff on each one. Fuel consumption is pretty similar to new model insignia too, so overall its fairly similar.

Insigina is bigger car with more expensive list RRP price too so seems a far better deal, that i can get both for more or less the same price.
    I would imagine in 3 years time or 4 years time it will prob be worth more on trade in

Always liked the Insginia design actually, nice looking car but do agree the Mazda 3 is a nice looking car, personally think th Mazda is overpriced for a mid segment saloon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The insignia will be a replaced car in 3 years time, it's not a particularly decent spec and they are common. If the current generation Mazda diesel turns out to be reliable it will be a more sought after car on the used market than the Insignia. Opel have a high RRP but they like to discount, I'd be shocked if 10% dicount wasn't easily the norm on a new Insignia.

It is a car from the class above too - a direct comparison would be the Mazda 6 which will be quite expensive for the new model.

The insignia will be a replaced car in 3 years time, it's not a particularly decent spec and they are common. If the current generation Mazda diesel turns out to be reliable it will be a more sought after car on the used market than the Insignia. Opel have a high RRP but they like to discount, I'd be shocked if 10% dicount wasn't easily the norm on a new Insignia.

It is a car from the class above too - a direct comparison would be the Mazda 6 which will be quite expensive for the new model.

Yeah I realise 2017 new insignia will be out alright. But as you say it's like Mazda 6 for Mazda 3 price at the moment and for next few years. I really like the new Mazda and up to yday my mind was made up :) But think Opel deal is prob better overall and has just as good a spec so my mind has changed ha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

To the one person who registered a 2014 Aston Martin, I salute you.

Anyone spotted it on the roads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

Yeah it's an iQ in drag.

2010-aston-martin-cygnet-3_800x0w.jpg&w=799&h=412&ei=j7L6UofIFcaU7Qbx7oGYCA&zoom=1&ved=0CI8BEIQcMCQ

:D only jokin

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Anyone know which dealership this is on as a demo, I might need to call in for a test drive!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It's just back at the dealer to get a few niggles sorted, should be back on the road for a day or two in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It's just back at the dealer to get a few niggles sorted, should be back on the road for a day or two in August.

...dpf removal and solid flywheel kit, yeah ? :pac:

back to question about the Fluence vs Mazda 3: mmm, I don't think the Mazda is worth 3k more. Look at the difference in 3 years time and the Mazda will look expensive.

Mazda diesels can be a bit of a mixed bag - but the Renault you already know about. Renault dealer might fold on some hard bargaining if he thinks you're moving away and make the difference even bigger than 3k, which would make the Mazda un-buyable really. If Renault had an ex-demo Fluence you'd get buy it even better.......just an idea.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...dpf removal and solid flywheel kit, yeah ? :pac:

back to question about the Fluence vs Mazda 3: mmm, I don't think the Mazda is worth 3k more. Look at the difference in 3 years time and the Mazda will look expensive.

Mazda diesels can be a bit of a mixed bag - but the Renault you already know about. Renault dealer might fold on some hard bargaining if he thinks you're moving away and make the difference even bigger than 3k, which would make the Mazda un-buyable really. If Renault had an ex-demo Fluence you'd get buy it even better.......just an idea.
    Completely disagree. The Fluence is a very ordinary car and looks a bit dated already. Not that nice to drive, and doesn't hold it's value well at all. And the fact that he already has one is another reason not to spend money on another.
    Mazda 3 or keep what you have are the only two options in my opinion.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Completely disagree. The Fluence is a very ordinary car and looks a bit dated already. Not that nice to drive, and doesn't hold it's value well at all. And the fact that he already has one is another reason not to spend money on another.

You're missing the point: he has one, and is happy with it. He's wondering if the Mazda is worth 3k more. With Mazda's diesel 'history' and the premium involved, imho it's not worth it. That makes no comment or reflection on the Renault, only the Mazda.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Mazda are hardly great for holding their value either though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Nixer Jim

The Mazda Thread ....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Over 3 or 4 years, with reasonable mileage, I'd value a new Mazda 3 saloon at €3,000 or more, than the equivalent Fluence.

As long as the new Skyactive Diesel's don't give issues like the previous diesels, it would be a cheaper car to own and run.

galwaytt wrote: »
    You're missing the point: he has one, and is happy with it. He's wondering if the Mazda is worth 3k more. With Mazda's diesel 'history' and the premium involved, imho it's not worth it. That makes no comment or reflection on the Renault, only the Mazda.
    I'm not really missing the point. Mazda's diesel history is blown out of proportion. Renaults reliability history isn't, if it's history we're looking at.
    It is a 3k better car as much as any other car is x much better than y, whether the owner will notice is another story.
    If he's happy with his current Fluence then it's a bit wasteful spending money on another one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I'm not really missing the point. Mazda's diesel history is blown out of proportion. Renaults reliability history isn't, if it's history we're looking at.
    It is a 3k better car as much as any other car is x much better than y, whether the owner will notice is another story.
    If he's happy with his current Fluence then it's a bit wasteful spending money on another one.
    It certainly is not!!. Mazda have made terrible diesel engines in the last ten years. The 2.0 diesel in the 6 is one of, if not the worst diesel engine around. The 2.2 isn't much better.

The diesel fitted to the 3 is a 1.6 hdi pug unit which isn't exactly renowned for it's reliability either.

Tbh mazda haven't made a truly reliable diesel engine since the 626 era.

Yeah wouldnt keep two fluence, its grand for second car, just orig thought 3k was a bit much of a differance , mazda arent exactly AUDI/BMW

would pay 3k over the Fluence on new one though as its a new model etc

Since then I've dealt with Opel and getting a good deal on the new spec/engine insignia which is about same money give or take a few hundred over the mazda 3.. so prob go with that

Think new M3 is a lovely car and great spec, but I think they have overpriced it for the size of the actual car segment its based in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

The Mazda 3 already looks dated. Def not worth the asking imo and depreciation will be very steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Eh, how about a separate Opel v Mazda thread lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Eh, how about a separate Opel v Mazda thread lads?

Aye +1

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Would new Octavia be any good for you OP???

Peugeot 308 - new model - might be worth a look as well - but given the comments in the tread may be too small for you???.

If you like the Insignia size of car - it might be worth seeing what deals can be got on a Mondeo - have they stopped selling the current model here yet???

Might get a decent deal if not - because it is due for replacement - and generally the outgoing Mondeo has been considered a superior car to the Insignia.

Personally on a Mondeo id have the 2.0 diesel rather then the 1.6 - they are a BIG car.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to buy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

My only gripe with new Mazda is the size. Its a lot smaller then Insignia.....Insigina is bigger car

To be fair, there's nothing wrong with its size for a compact Saloon. A comparison with the Insignia is unfair as its from the next Segment up.

Maybe you should at the 6?

You're going to have to defer to peoples experiences of the Renault and the Mazda tbh.
    OP says the Renault has been reliable and he's happy with it. (and I've owned 3).
    I, and many others, can relate the opposite stories about Mazda diesel's. (btdt).

The Mazda diesel is not proven to be a better car. You're going on Mazda's petrol history - which is excellent (and I still have one).

It's a €3k gamble at best, more if it turns out to follow the path of it's predecessors.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It certainly is not!!. Mazda have made terrible diesel engines in the last ten years. The 2.0 diesel in the 6 is one of, if not the worst diesel engine around. The 2.2 isn't much better.

The diesel fitted to the 3 is a 1.6 hdi pug unit which isn't exactly renowned for it's reliability either.

Tbh mazda haven't made a truly reliable diesel engine since the 626 era.
    It's just the 2 litre in the 6 that was the big issue, and that wasn't a guaranteed problem either. The 2.2 is much better, despite what you may like to believe.
    Yeah wouldnt keep two fluence, its grand for second car, just orig thought 3k was a bit much of a differance , mazda arent exactly AUDI/BMW

would pay 3k over the Fluence on new one though as its a new model etc

Since then I've dealt with Opel and getting a good deal on the new spec/engine insignia which is about same money give or take a few hundred over the mazda 3.. so prob go with that

Think new M3 is a lovely car and great spec, but I think they have overpriced it for the size of the actual car segment its based in
    As pointed out, it's the same price as a Golf more or less. A Golf is no more worth 3k over a Fluence than a Mazda 3 is. And in my opinion, both are.
    lomb wrote: »
    The Mazda 3 already looks dated. Def not worth the asking imo and depreciation will be very steep.
    :rolleyes: Daft statement from a Mk 4 Golf fan.

Advertisement