Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second penalty fare

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Karsini wrote: »
    Is post 44 suggesting that the OP get off the train in Drumcondra, go down to buy a ticket and get the next train from there? Hugely inconvenient.

I think he was going under the impression that the OP was actually getting off at Drumcondra, as opposed to the inspectors were going through the train and fined him while it was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I think he was going under the impression that the OP was actually getting off at Drumcondra, as opposed to the inspectors were going through the train and fined him while it was there.

Is he not getting off there? I was under the impression from this

They gave me a big speech about travelling for free is not permitted that i should pay when i get to drumcondra.. but they never even give you a chance to go through and buy a ticket from the guy in the station.

that he was getting off at Drumcondra but got stopped on the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Indeed, that would not be convenient at all nor would be expected. Paying at the terminus would be logical. But IE don't do logic at all.

Have a look at the amount of people that pay in Connolly in the mornings before going through the barriers and that would prove your post wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

And this is accepted without it being a penalty fare?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Is he not getting off there? I was under the impression from this

They gave me a big speech about travelling for free is not permitted that i should pay when i get to drumcondra.. but they never even give you a chance to go through and buy a ticket from the guy in the station.

that he was getting off at Drumcondra but got stopped on the platform.

Well clearly I didn't see that, I was going by what I saw in the OP which didn't go into too much detail about what his circumstances were in Drumcondra. But I did suggest the possibility, that was the case.

Why are you questioning me?
    And this is accepted without it being a penalty fare?

Paying the fare in Connolly and not being issued a fine, because you didn't buy a ticket beforehand? Yes. That's normal. They do the same in Tara St and Pearse as well.

• Advertisement

Would a leap card open the exit barriers where it had not been touched on previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

TheChizler wrote: »
    Here's a thought; TVMs on trains?

How would it know what station you traveled from? If the train departed, say Longford, there isn't a way to ensure you get a ticket there or if you got it at, say Drumcondra.

As well, if the train is working a different route then the TVM would need to reset for that line; not impossible but not as simple as it appears.

GPS my good man.

Would a leap card open the exit barriers where it had not been touched on previously?

yes, but if you are going through Exit barriers on one touch as a touch off, without a corresponding touch on, I think it'll apply the full fare as it doesn't have a start point to calculate the fare against. The gates are set directionally by IR.

So you can't touch "on" through the exit side and "off" through the entrance side. You could end up touching on twice if you did that.

If you can't touch on at the start of your journey, the leapcard is no good to you.
    How would it know what station you traveled from? If the train departed, say Longford, there isn't a way to ensure you get a ticket there or if you got it at, say Drumcondra.

As well, if the train is working a different route then the TVM would need to reset for that line; not impossible but not as simple as it appears.

The trains don't have the same problem as knowing where they are, as the buses do (ticket machine stages currently being updated by driver). The next station announcements are automated right? Could be a way of using that data to tell an onboard TVM where it is. Space could be the issue though, particularly on packed trains.
    GPS my good man.

Yeah, but there's another thing with that as well as knowing where the TVM is, it's the amount of time taken to use it. If a lot of people end up getting on the train with the idea they'll purchase a ticket onboard, someone could go pass the stop they boarded from and into the next station by the time they get to it. Won't be able to pay the correct fare then. So there could still be an element of fare evasion.

It'll only take 2/3 people queueing to use one the change Clonsilla -> Coolmine, by the time the next person wants to use it, or walks through the train to get to a free one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The trains don't have the same problem as knowing where they are, as the buses do (ticket machine stages currently being updated by driver). The next station announcements are automated right? Could be a way of using that data to tell an onboard TVM where it is. Space could be the issue though, particularly on packed trains.

Announcements do it via a link to the signal tracking. The TVM's would all need to be hooked up to it as well in order for them to track it as well. For the costs talked about for the TVM's on platform it would be extremely expensive; per carriage you are talking about 5 figures. Employing conductors would be cheaper in the long run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

TheChizler wrote: »
    Here's a thought; TVMs on trains?

Or even a Leap Card reader on board to allow you to tag on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Or even a Leap Card reader on board to allow you to tag on.

Or even a ticket inspector on board like most commercial trains in the UK ....... They dont need to be paid legacy wages either.

Advertisement