Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Man Who Led Walking Protest Has His Dole Cut

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I wish they would clear up what "being available for work" means.

When i was on the dole there was never any definition given.
    I suspect they deliberate keep it loosely defined - all the better for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Wait wait, did the OP say that he was "docked" four days dole cause he was not available to work. But he got a cheque from the SW office for 310 Euro to keep him going? :confused:

When I was on the dole in 08/09, it was 180 something a week. What kind of dole is it where 310 Euro "keeps you going" for the four days docked? How much is he usually getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Peetrik wrote: »
    Well I'm quite sure none of our politicians who are being paid out of the public pocket would ever dream of doing a few rounds of golf or taking a few hours for personal use when they are on the clock.

Politicians don't work 'on the clock'.

dvpower wrote: »
    Politicians don't work 'on the clock'.

Grand - I'll ring one at 3am in the morning. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

310 euros for dole?

Blimey, the Irish aren't half pampered.

In Britain you get around half that - per fortnight.

• Advertisement

Batsy wrote: »
    310 euros for dole?

And that seems to be for 4 days to help him out, was that not 4 days full amount? Is this guy making over 400 Euro a week on SW?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

conorhal wrote: »
    Were the state so quick to send the social around knocking on the McCarthy's and the Dundon's doors after they murdered Roy Collins?

Doubt it. Instead they decided to hire 'mediators' to go around for a chat.

Sick of this state.
    You're sick of the state because they don't send social welfare officers out to tackle gangland crime?

If you were a social welfare officer, would you call around to the the McCarthys and the Dundons?
    When a social welfare officer signed a letter ending his dole payments, Cahill immediately had the man shot in both legs. Here was a civil servant simply doing his job - the decision to stop the dole had been made at a higher level - but that sort of logic was lost on a thug like Martin Cahill. He didn’t take kindly to personal slights.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

dvpower wrote: »
    If you were a social welfare officer, would you call around to the the McCarthys and the Dundons?

Only on conjugal visiting day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭flutered

now if there was work advailable then there would be a serious reason, did he have an offer of work before he began his walk, did he have an offer of work during his march, i doubt it, perhaps he had, how many of the stickers for law and order posting on this thread would do the walk that he did for what he believes in, hand up please.

310 euros for dole?

Or 61(under 25)/81(over 25) per week.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_200090.html

A single person here gets €114(?) or is it €141(?) - so not that much difference if you take into account currency exchange and the differences of prices between here and England for food, clothing, electricity, petrol, etc?

EDIT: Did some checking:
    From the 29th December 2010 the rates are as follows:

Maximum Personal rate for customer18-21 years €100.00, the qualified adult rate €100.00, these rates apply if the couple have no children
    Maximum Personal rate for customer 22-24 years €144.00, the qualified adult rate €124.80, these rates apply if the couple have no children
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/pages/jajbfaq.aspx#q13

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

When I was on the dole in 08/09, it was 180 something a week. What kind of dole is it where 310 Euro "keeps you going" for the four days docked? How much is he usually getting?

Do you really think a single person gets the same as 2 adults and a number of children?

Biggins wrote: »
    Or 61(under 25)/81(over 25) per week.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_200090.html

A single person here gets €114(?) or is it €141(?) - so not that much difference if you take into account the differences of prices between here and England for food, clothing, electricity, petrol, etc?

Biggins, you were the OP. Do you know what the story is with the 310 Euro paid to him by the SW office is? Is this guy making over 400 Euro a week on SW?

iguana wrote: »
    Do you really think a single person gets the same as 2 adults and a number of children?

Sorry? I did not see any mention of the OP saying the man and his wife had their SW cut? There is also no mention of kids either or other types of payments. Can you explain? Maybe you know more.

Biggins, you were the OP. Do you know what the story is with the 310 Euro paid to him by the SW office is? Is this guy making over 400 Euro a week on SW?

I'm assuming (open to be wrong) that he is collecting for himself and possibly wife and kids.
    Going on the money he is supposed to be getting, it far over reaches the maximum for any single payment for a single or married person without kids.
    So I, myself, is assuming he's collecting for kids also.

Sorry? I did not see any mention of the OP saying the man and his wife had their SW cut? There is also no mention of kids either or other types of payments. Can you explain? Maybe you know more.

He is a married man with children. Families do no get a separate dole for each family member. One person gets their own dole plus a smaller sum for a dependent spouse and a much smaller sum for each dependent child. As he specifically says in the article that because of the cut he has no money for his family, I would have thought it more than obvious that he is in receipt of a family dole payment, not a single man's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

I don't really get it.... If you're on the dole are you supposed to just sit at home all day, every day in case somebody decides to offer you a job?

Can you not do voluntary work?
    Can you even go out to walk the dog??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

trooney wrote: »
    With the advent of mobile technology you can be actively seeking work from any geographical location in the country (once you have a signal). Do they deduct SW payments for when you are asleep (and not actively seeking work)?

He could have been, but he wasn't. Thems the rules and thems the breaks

Ms. Pingui wrote: »

You can't just do voluntary work, no. You have to get permission from the dole office and present a letter from whoever is the volunteer manager where you wish to volunteer promising that they will not prevent you from looking for work and will release you immediately if you have a job interview or get a job. And even then it's down to the mood of the person you are dealing with if they will allow you to do it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I don't really get it.... If you're on the dole are you supposed to just sit at home all day, every day in case somebody decides to offer you a job?

Voluntary work is against the rules unless its approved by the Welfare office. There are also restrictions on the amount of time you can spend volunteering afaik.

Welfare is not there to provide cheap labour for charities. Its there as a safety net for people who find themselves out of work so that they can maintain a basic standard of living whilst looking for work.

I think the dole officers expect an unemployed person at some stage every day, to be out looking for work and to be ABLE to be out looking for work.

If he was on a long 4 day march, by their assessment (I'm guessing) they considered him not to have (a) notified them of the days he wanted in advance and is entitled to and (b) was not in an ability to be looking and able to look, for any opportunities.

Of course walking the dog, etc is normal and expected.
    Voluntary work by the way, you have to officially notify them of too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

400 a week? If this is true I am very upset. I work 40 hours a week for 500 and have to support my family.

I would love to take a 100 cut and sit on my hole eating cornflakes .

Please tell me its not true that non working feckers are getting as much working feckers.

fecking hell.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    400 a week? If this is true I am very upset. I work 40 hours a week for 500 and have to support my family.

I would love to take a 100 cut and sit on my hole eating cornflakes .

Please tell me its not true that non working feckers are getting as much working feckers.

fecking hell.

The dole and ancillary benefits, like rent allowance, are very generous here. A lot of low to mid level earners would be financially better off on the dole at the moment if they do not have a mortgage and can find a suitable rental property within the rent allowance limits.

It's a pity that voluntary work's not allowed. There are lots of charities that could really benefit from it. It's not like it would actually stop you from looking for work.... surely you would still have time to send e-mail and make phone calls etc?
    Lots of people on the dole are suffering from depression as a result of not being able to find work. Letting people volunteer would be a great way of boosting the mental health of those that find themselves unemployed.

It's a great way to learn new skills and many organisations train you too so it could actually help you find work!

It's a pity that voluntary work's not allowed.

It IS allowed.
    You just have to notify them of it and say for how long each day your doing it.
    There is limits I think on how much each day you can also do it.

For example:
    A number of people would like to volunteer while being unemployed but due to fears on how this affects their social welfare payments, have not registered to do so.

The Department of Social Protection will not penalise anyone in receipt of job seeker supports for part-time volunteering; it is actually encouraged as it gets you out of the house, keeps your mind stimulated and as a whole is good for you.

However, each individual must still meet the conditions for receiving their unemployment benefit:

- You must still be actively and genuinely seeking work.

- Your volunteering is an activity that seeks to benefit others (beyond your family) for which you receive no pay (except out-of-pocket expenses).

- You should be available to take up work as soon as an opportunity comes your way. Volunteers should be aware that a commitment to full time volunteering may deem you unavailable for work, which may affect your entitlements.

Voluntary organisations who involve volunteers in receipt of Social Welfare must have approval from the individual’s local employment exchange before taking on the volunteer. To do this, the organisation must complete a VW1 application form and submit this to their local office of the Department of Social Protection.
    http://www.volunteerdublincitysouth.ie/Volunteering-while-unemployed.html

Biggins wrote: »
    It IS allowed.
    You just have to notify them of it and say for how long each day your doing it.
    There is limits I think on how much each day you can also do it.

For example:

http://www.volunteerdublincitysouth.ie/Volunteering-while-unemployed.html

Oh right.... I'm a bit slow today! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

^ I specifically asked a woman in my Social Welfare office about volunteer work and she told me that it is absolutely not allowed as it means you're not available to work. They really need to get their story straight and retrain staff, because there seems to be a lot of misinformation coming out of dole offices.

phasers wrote: »
    ^ I specifically asked a woman in my Social Welfare office about volunteer work and she told me that it is absolutely not allowed as it means you're not available to work. They really need to get their story straight and retrain staff, because there seems to be a lot of misinformation coming out of dole offices.

You need to print the page off in the following link (and educate the fools there).
    THEIR official site.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/JobseekersVoluntaryWorkOption.aspx
    Jobseekers - Voluntary Work Option

Information
    A jobseeker who engages in voluntary work within the State may continue to be entitled to a jobseekers payment provided that, in engaging in the voluntary work, they continue to satisfy the statutory conditions of being available for and genuinely seeking work.

Examples of voluntary work in which jobseekers may engage include

helping the sick, elderly or persons with a disability
    assisting youth clubs, church groups, sports groups, cultural organisations, local resident associations
    The groups involved may be nationally organised groups or local voluntary or community groups.

Aims of the Voluntary Work Option
    The aim of the Voluntary Work Option is twofold, namely – to encourage voluntary organisations to involve jobseekers to the greatest extent possible in their existing activities by creating new opportunities for voluntary work and to inform jobseekers of their freedom to involve themselves in voluntary work and to encourage them to do so.

Rules
    While it is not possible to lay down hard and fast rules as to what constitutes voluntary work the position should be clear in most cases. Factors to be taken into account will include:

the type of work involved,
    the aims and standing of the voluntary body,
    the weekly hours worked,
    amount of any payment received by way of out-of-pocket expenses
    The voluntary work would normally involve only a few hours a day or a few days a week but full-time involvement in voluntary activities would not necessarily be ruled out. However, there should be no implication of Job Replacement or Cheap Labour. Any payment for the voluntary work should generally be limited to out-of-pocket expenses such as travelling expenses or meal allowances.

How to Apply
    The jobseeker or the voluntary organisation/group involved should request an application form VW 1 from their Local Social Welfare Office.

Where to Apply
    The completed application form should be sent to the Local Office and a Deciding Officer will determine whether the customer may take up the work in question without affecting entitlement to the jobseekers payment.

Decisions in relation to Voluntary Work
    In considering an application, the Deciding Officer will determine whether the work concerned is voluntary within the meaning of the scheme and whether the jobseeker would continue to satisfy the statutory conditions for getting the jobseekers payment. The Deciding Officer will need to be satisfied that the jobseeker is available to take up employment, if offered it, and that they are making genuine efforts to find work. This applies whether the voluntary work is full or part-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

310 euros for dole?

We have had it very easy here since we kicked out your murderous Monarchy Batsy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 232 ✭✭LilyCricket

iguana wrote: »
    He is a married man with children. Families do no get a separate dole for each family member. One person gets their own dole plus a smaller sum for a dependent spouse and a much smaller sum for each dependent child. As he specifically says in the article that because of the cut he has no money for his family, I would have thought it more than obvious that he is in receipt of a family dole payment, not a single man's one.

not heard of that before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MaxyJazz

Well I'm posting a cheque to Joe Murphy for €100 and he can spend it as he wishes :) fair play to him to protest on something he believes in...this government needs to realise that they can't pull the wool over our eyes no more,the amount of tax payers money wasted is just crazy,and it needs to start at the top...Phil hogan's quote when he was asked in 2009 to take a 10% pay cut on his estimated €200,000 salary & expences. Quote: “My personal circumstances don’t allow that at the moment"....yeah great example Phil keep up the good work.

Advertisement