Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

eircom finally announces FTTH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I've been saying for nearly 7 years that:
    1) Mobile can't do broadband without x10 as many masts as anyone wants. (even then it would not have a g'teed minimum speed). No surprise LTE can't do NGA, even as many as 7,000 masts is optimistically small.

2) For more than 15Mbps MINIMUM, FTTP/FTTH is cheapest solution.

VDSL+ etc or other high speed schemes may be economical within an apartment block, hotel etc that already has copper to every room but not Cat5e for Ethernet. It's no solution for the street unless you can throw rocks at the cabinet (or hatch in pavement) from your front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I'm really in two minds about this. While FTTH is obviously what is needed to provide quality broadband services going forward, as someone who lives in one of the red areas for Eircoms planned efibre rollout my big fear would be that the rollout of efibre slows down as Eircom directs resources towards the lucky FTTH areas.The expected rollout date of efibre in my area keeps slipping back while a decent internet connection becomes more and more important.

Realistically all todays announcement means for me is that I won't see any improvement to my own internet connection until 2016.

Advertisement