Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2014/15 MOD WARNING POST 1839

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,199 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

What's the general consensus on Pellè? Considering going for him over Dzeko to save a million. He should play 90 mins most games and Koeman seems to have a lot of faith in him since his time at Feyenoord.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,601 ✭✭✭✭CSF

What's the general consensus on Pellè? Considering going for him over Dzeko to save a million. He should play 90 mins most games and Koeman seems to have a lot of faith in him since his time at Feyenoord.

Worth a punt if you have 7.5 left for a striker after other pursuits.

The question will always be there though as to whether you could use 1-1.5 million elsewhere in the team and go with someone else with probably an equal chance of a successful season.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I'd be shocked if Davies didn't start. They're paying £10m for him and his competition is Danny Rose.

One of the first names in my team as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭TaytoCrisps

Is there any sign of the opening double gameweek we've had the last 2 seasons coming up? I take it we won't know for sure until he champions league qualifiers are drawn .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Is there any sign of the opening double gameweek we've had the last 2 seasons coming up? I take it we won't know for sure until he champions league qualifiers are drawn .

There's only been double game weeks the last 2 seasons because Chelsea were playing in the super cup in gw3 so couldn't play then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I'd be shocked if Davies didn't start. They're paying £10m for him and his competition is Danny Rose.

One of the first names in my team as it stands.

Naughton, Assou Ekotto. Vertonghen may also be played there. Like I said, lots of options in that position

• Registered Users Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah I don't think any Spurs outfielders are definite starters. Lot of people here talking bout Eriksen, but who's to say Pocchetino won't start with Townsend, Lamela and Lennon behind Adebayor? Eriksen didn't play at all v Seattle at the weekend, and that was without Benteleb, Chadli, Dembele and Paulinho about. Lamela was the star of the show.

I totally think Eriksen will play come next month, just making the point that we never know what a new manager will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

manual_man wrote: »
    Naughton, Assou Ekotto. Vertonghen may also be played there. Like I said, lots of options in that position

Is Davies not their only signing though? I don't think they'd have paid 10 mil for their one signing of the Summer and plan to leave him on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

I'm considering him over Dzeko too particularly given both their starting fixtures. City may not be firing in the goals right away. Id be using the 1m to fit Sanchez in.

Given how well he knows the manager Pelle could do well from the off, 2 goals in 45m so far preseason is not bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

RE: Pelle.

Admittedly, I haven't seen much of him myself, but strikers coming from the Eredivise seem to be very hit and miss in their first season and beyond. I read a book a few weeks back in which the authors found Holland is the one 'main' league in Europe which contains the largest number of strikers scoring 20 or more goals a season.

For every Van Nistelrooy there's an Alves, for every Bony there's an Altidore. It's unclear which category Pelle will fall into, maybe he'll fall in between the two extremes, who knows? However, what is there in black and white is the fact that he is 29 and has only had two seasons in 10 years which were very good, in fact they were excellent to be fair to him, but it's not a track record that would set my heart racing. Perhaps he has just peaked late, we'll find out.

Personally, I wouldn't take the risk on him. For that price I'd try to scrape the extra million to get a proven Premier League goalscorer, a Bony (ironically), a Dzeko, a Giroud, by downgrading other areas. If not, I'd be going with one of the many £6.0m strikers and using the extra £1.5m to strengthen elsewhere.

I'm not saying Pelle will or won't be a good Fantasy Premier League player as I haven't got a clue whether that will be the case or not, but his track record thus far would put me off. If he does get off to a flyer, it wouldn't be hard to fit him in if it came down to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Lemlin wrote: »
    Is Davies not their only signing though? I don't think they'd have paid 10 mil for their one signing of the Summer and plan to leave him on the bench.

My point is i don't believe it's a given. They have decent other options as i've pointed out. £10M(if thats what it is) isnt huge money when you consider the money being bandied about for full backs this summer... it could take him time to settle. etc. etc.

it's all about perspective. i hate it when people put the blinkers on in this regard, brashly stating that a player will(or won't) start the season as first choice when in fact it's far from certain...! sure i've picked Cameron of Stoke and Fletcher of Sunderland myself, and while i believe both if fit will get the nod ahead of competition in their teams, i'm certainly not pretending it's a given that they will. so in essence, it represents somewhat of a gamble...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

My first draft

Krul Myhill
    Debuchy Shaw Davies Zabaleta Luis
    Toure Ince Puncheon De Jong Hazard
    Dzeko Ings Giroud

Perhaps too many new signings. Solid enough with many changes before kick off no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

My first draft

Krul Myhill
    Dzeko Ings Giroud

Perhaps too many new signings. Solid enough with many changes before kick off no doubt

What formation do you intend playing?

If you intend playing 5-3-2, that's a fair enough team. If it's anything else, (i.e., less than 5 at the back), I think you have spent too much on defence at the expense of other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

My first draft

Krul Myhill
    Dzeko Ings Giroud

Your bench is too strong and too much money tied up on the bench e.g ings , ince,piuncheon,davies. Downgrade a few of these will give you 2 million + to play around to strengthen the players you will use.

I can't decide on a formation to go for. On the one hand, there's lots of good value midfielders in the 8.0 - 10.5m category, leading me to think that 5 in midfield would be a good option. However, I also like Giroud - Dzeko - Bony front 3 option too (also good value).

Decisions, decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Spurs have constantly chopped and changed at lb because they have average options. Davies looks like he has potential to be a very good player while already being good. I would be shocked if he was not first choice lb.

With Rose, Assou Ekkoto and Vertonghen at the club he obviously doesn't rate any of them that highly so Davies is signed as first choice. 5.0 is a bargain imo for a defender for a top 6 team under a manager who set's his teams up very well. Again i am not sure on his ability going forward but i expect clean sheets.

Sigurdson could be an option at 6.0 he will score goals. He got 72 points despite not playing much last season although i don't know how good Swansea will be.

Interesting Giroud third highest striker last season only 10 points behind Sturridge who is 3.0 dearer. With Sanchez arriving and Ozil going into his best position he will get very good service.

On Spurs again people raving about Ramsey who scored 146 last season. Eriksen scored 132 despite not being a regular at the start of the season and for half a season under a negative manager. I think like Lallana last season Pochettino will run everything through him and at 8.0 he is a steal.

Also Mirallas at 7.5 he scored 144 last season and i would expect a similar score this season especially with extra points for dribbling.

Mata scoring 124 despite not featuring for half a season i think is good value at 9.0 he is an assist machine but i don't know what United will do with him.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    On Spurs again people raving about Ramsey who scored 146 last season. Eriksen scored 132 despite not being a regular at the start of the season and for half a season under a negative manager. I think like Lallana last season Pochettino will run everything through him and at 8.0 he is a steal.

Also Mirallas at 7.5 he scored 144 last season and i would expect a similar score this season especially with extra points for dribbling.

Mata scoring 124 despite not featuring for half a season i think is good value at 9.0 he is an assist machine but i don't know what United will do with him.

I'll definitely have Eriksen in my team. Mirallas not so much. Had him at times last year and he frustrated me generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sigurdson could be an option at 6.0 he will score goals. He got 72 points despite not playing much last season although i don't know how good Swansea will be.

It's a matter of Eriksen and Rooney or Van Persie and Sigurdsson for me. That's the only big decision I have on my hands at the minute as I'm relatively happy with the rest of my side.

Sigurdsson will probably play off Bony and take a lot of set pieces. Eriksen should see himself as the focal point at Spurs and will also take a lot of set pieces. Is Eriksen worth the extra £2.0m? Tough decision.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    It's a matter of Eriksen and Rooney or Van Persie and Sigurdsson for me. That's the only big decision I have on my hands at the minute as I'm relatively happy with the rest of my side.

Sigurdsson will probably play off Bony and take a lot of set pieces. Eriksen should see himself as the focal point at Spurs and will also take a lot of set pieces. Is Eriksen worth the extra £2.0m? Tough decision.
    No decision there IMO. Has to be Rvp and sigurdsson.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I dont think Siggy has played in their pre-season games yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

manual_man wrote: »
    My point is i don't believe it's a given. They have decent other options as i've pointed out. £10M(if thats what it is) isnt huge money when you consider the money being bandied about for full backs this summer... it could take him time to settle. etc. etc.

it's all about perspective. i hate it when people put the blinkers on in this regard, brashly stating that a player will(or won't) start the season as first choice when in fact it's far from certain...! sure i've picked Cameron of Stoke and Fletcher of Sunderland myself, and while i believe both if fit will get the nod ahead of competition in their teams, i'm certainly not pretending it's a given that they will. so in essence, it represents somewhat of a gamble...

I think you're going a bit OTT with your response here to be honest.

I don't think I'm guilty of putting on the blinkers or "brashly" stating that a player will or won't start the season. I haven't even said its a "given" myself. What I have said is that in my opinion I expect Davies to start.

As I've said, I would expect that if Spurs make only one Summer signing and it's ten million on a 21 year old left back that this incdicates that the new manager has pinpointed that area of the team as the one area which needs focus immediately.

As for taking time to settle, he's already familiar with the league so I can't see that being a huge problem.

You talk about money being bandided about for full backs but can you think of many clubs who've paid 10 million for a left back and left them sitting on the bench in their initial games post the signing? Perhaps if the signing didn't work out but not initially.
    Spurs have constantly chopped and changed at lb because they have average options. Davies looks like he has potential to be a very good player while already being good. I would be shocked if he was not first choice lb.

With Rose, Assou Ekkoto and Vertonghen at the club he obviously doesn't rate any of them that highly so Davies is signed as first choice. 5.0 is a bargain imo for a defender for a top 6 team under a manager who set's his teams up very well. Again i am not sure on his ability going forward but i expect clean sheets.

I don't class Vertonghen as a left back. He doesn't like playing there:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/9765211/Tottenham-need-me-at-centre-back-not-left-back-Jan-Vertonghen-tells-Andre-Villas-Boas.html
    Although he has impressed on the left, and sporadically in a holding-midfield role, Vertonghen admitted that he was getting frustrated at the lack of opportunities in his favoured position. “Yes, and the manager knows,” he said. “He knows I prefer centre-back, but that is enough for me. He respects me but tells me whenever I need to play left-back. I want to help the team.”

Of the other two, I don't rate Rose and Assou Ekotu spent last season out on loan so to me Davies has been signed to play.

United i can't have Rooney or RVP even with the easy start to the season.

RVP look's like he won't have much of a pre season and talks are Rooney could play even deeper this season. I also have no idea what way he will set up the side. He talked about Kagawa being the best player in Germany while he was at Bayern. Too many question marks over United's team imo at this time.

Sigurdson is actually a good shout at 6.0. With Michu leaving he will play off bony and has a great strike on the ball.

Adam Johnson is also an option at 6.5. He scored 130+ last season even after Di Canio ruined them for a good few games. He takes set pieces and with more points for dribbling he should do better. PaullyD will be able to go into more detail on him.

Don't really have a strong opinion either way on the Davies discussion but I would be very surprised if he was the only Tottenham signing this summer. You'd think Pocchetino would have demanded more from the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I haven't seen Yaya'a name mentioned much on these forums. Are people avoiding him after his ridiculous tantrums and comments? He's likely to stay at City

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

I haven't seen Yaya'a name mentioned much on these forums. Are people avoiding him after his ridiculous tantrums and comments? He's likely to stay at City

That and his price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Yep, too expensive IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Yaya who? :)

Advertisement