Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lose a stone in one week?? Possible??

• 15-07-2010 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

A friend of mine told me he lost a stone in a week. Is this even possible. He said he went from 17 stone to 16 stone in one week and then 16 stone to 15 stone the follwing week.

He would have to eat less than 1000 calories a day wouldnt he?

Do you think it is possible or do you reckon he is talking out of his *$"!

I'm losing 1 - 2 pounds a week because I dont want to crash diet and put it all back on.

Thanks
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Talking out of his arse. 1 stone in a week would be possible in certain circumstances - but the person wouldn't have actually lose an entire stone in body weight in that week.

To lose 14lbs, you need to have a calorie deficit of 49,000 calories in a single week. That is, you need to burn off 49,000 more calories than you eat.

The average male burns about 17,500 calories per week without exercise. So even if he didn't eat for a week, he wouldn't lose a stone. He could theoretically do savage amounts of exercise - Michael Phelps famously eats a 12,000 calorie diet on a daily basis when training. If you trained at his level and ate a normal diet, you would easily burn 1 stone (and then some) in a week. But you would never be able to maintain that level of training on a normal diet.

You would also notice someone losing 2 stone in 2 weeks. The change in their appearance, even on a daily basis, would be drastic.

If he believes this himself, it's likely that he's weighing himself all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭The Davestator

seamus wrote: »
    Talking out of his arse. 1 stone in a week would be possible in certain circumstances - but the person wouldn't have actually lose an entire stone in body weight in that week.

To lose 14lbs, you need to have a calorie deficit of 49,000 calories in a single week. That is, you need to burn off 49,000 more calories than you eat.

The average male burns about 17,500 calories per week without exercise. So even if he didn't eat for a week, he wouldn't lose a stone. He could theoretically do savage amounts of exercise - Michael Phelps famously eats a 12,000 calorie diet on a daily basis when training. If you trained at his level and ate a normal diet, you would easily burn 1 stone (and then some) in a week. But you would never be able to maintain that level of training on a normal diet.

You would also notice someone losing 2 stone in 2 weeks. The change in their appearance, even on a daily basis, would be drastic.

If he believes this himself, it's likely that he's weighing himself all wrong.

It is possible, but he'd need to be 'biggest loser' fat in order for him to lose a stone in a week and he's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 chilli

Thanks Seamus

I havent seen him in about two weeks but will see him next week, he said he will be 14.7 stone by then. When I told him about the 49000 calories thing he just said he has a secrete.. lol .... that no one else in the world knows.

If he is that weight though how the hell did he do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Depends on how tall he is, how little he's eating, what the weight lost was composed of and probably a number of other things like using thermobolics or even steroids.

He is 6ft tall, he says he is eating fairly normal, just healthy foods. Three meals a day and he burns 900 cals a night in the gym

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

how heavy was the chap before?

900 cals a night in the gym... ain't much really.

He says he was 17 stone before he started but I don't know how true this is.

Basically he is the type of person that has to be one better than everyone else. So because I'm losing weight and gaining muscle he has come up with this story of a stone a week.

I think he is either lying about his starting weight or he is using some thermobolics/steroids like mentioned above but I doubt he lost a genuine 14 pounds of fat in one week, wouldnt he have to burn about 10000 cal a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

chilli wrote: »
    He says he was 17 stone before he started but I don't know how true this is.

Basically he is the type of person that has to be one better than everyone else. So because I'm losing weight and gaining muscle he has come up with this story of a stone a week.

I think he is either lying about his starting weight or he is using some thermobolics/steroids like mentioned above but I doubt he lost a genuine 14 pounds of fat in one week, wouldnt he have to burn about 10000 cal a day.

unless he produces solid evidence to the contrary, i think you're safe calling bullsh*t on this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

Suggest that he might have been really, REALLY constipated before he started eating healthy? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Iceman aka Bobby Drake

hey hey people.. 1st time poster long time fan! it is possible to lose a stone a month.. im down 2 stone in 2 months and dats from going to the gym everyday and burning like double the 900 cals and on a strict diet.. so chilli if ur friend gives up his tip share please.. :D

• Advertisement

hey hey people.. 1st time poster long time fan! it is possible to lose a stone a month.. im down 2 stone in 2 months and dats from going to the gym everyday and burning like double the 900 cals and on a strict diet.. so chilli if ur friend gives up his tip share please.. :D

yeah a stone in a month, defo, but as for a stone in a week you would have to burn 49000 calories in the week if your diet was as strict as not eating at all, Even if you are eating a strict diet you would have to burn at least 10000 cal a day, so he is full of it.

Anyway, my friend is known for his crazy exaggerations lol, you cant really believe anything the guy comes out with. He is lying about his starting weight for a start, I remember him telling me he was 16 stone before and now he is saying no he wasn't he was 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hang on though....in the thread title you said 1 stone in a month, but in your OP you said 1 stone in a week.

Very different things, which is it?

Hang on though....in the thread title you said 1 stone in a month, but in your OP you said 1 stone in a week.

Ah crap, how did I do that. Sorry it should say a stone in a week. Is there a way to change the title?

Changed it there, thanks for pointing that out, everyone would be wondering what I was going on about hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I doubt he lost a genuine 14 pounds of fat in one week
    it doesn't seem like he claimed to lose 14lbs of fat, in the first post you just said he went from 17 to 16stone.

I have a bladder like an oil tanker, I could drink 6 cans before going for a piss, that is 6.6lb right there. So if you weighed me after those cans and then again in the morning if I was severely dehydrated from the drinking I could have lost a fair bit of weight.

Most people lose fluids in their first few weeks, it then slows dramatically.

rubadub wrote: »
    it doesn't seem like he claimed to lose 14lbs of fat, in the first post you just said he went from 17 to 16stone.

I have a bladder like an oil tanker, I could drink 6 cans before going for a piss, that is 6.6lb right there. So if you weighed me after those cans and then again in the morning if I was severely dehydrated from the drinking I could have lost a fair bit of weight.

Most people lose fluids in their first few weeks, it then slows dramatically.

True you can retain a lot of fluid but he is basically saying he lost 2 stone in two weeks, in week one he went from 17 - 16 and in week two 16 - 15. There is a limit to how much fluid you retain, he would be like a water ballon if he retained that much hehe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

look for liposuction scars

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

People seem terribly focused on it being fat loss. Glycogen and water and intestinal weight are usually the first things to go. Depending on hydration levels between the first and subsequent weight ins that can be quite a bit. Add fat loss on to that and all of a sudden it's within the realms of "highly unlikely but possible".

28 pounds (let's say it's 24 to allow for slight exaggeration). That's around 11KG. Say 4KG of fat shifted. 3 or 4KG of glycogen weight reduction (mostly water of course). 1 or so kilos from dehydration versus the first weigh in. 1 or so kilos from intestinal weight reduction. Blammo. You're there.

edit: chilli I'd say you're going about things the right way. Lifestyle change is much more effective for medium term weight loss.

Khannie wrote: »
    People seem terribly focused on it being fat loss. Glycogen and water and intestinal weight are usually the first things to go. Depending on hydration levels between the first and subsequent weight ins that can be quite a bit. Add fat loss on to that and all of a sudden it's within the realms of "highly unlikely but possible".

28 pounds (let's say it's 24 to allow for slight exaggeration). That's around 11KG. Say 4KG of fat shifted. 3 or 4KG of glycogen weight reduction (mostly water of course). 1 or so kilos from dehydration versus the first weigh in. 1 or so kilos from intestinal weight reduction. Blammo. You're there.

edit: chilli I'd say you're going about things the right way. Lifestyle change is much more effective for medium term weight loss.

I think your numbers would be a bit excessive for most cases but I agree the first week's losses could be made up in this way. But the op also says that the person claimed to lose another stone the second week when all those 'easy' sources have presumably been used up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭mkahnisbent

It's possible to lose a stone in 1 week. I lost 4 stone in two weeks when I had glandular fever!

But is it healthy? No...

Slowly but surely is the way to go when it comes to getting the body of your dreams. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 gymbunny2010

It would be possible to lose a stone in a DAY if your friend was a female and gave birth to a 14-pound baby ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I just don't believe its possible to loose a stone in a week, from 16 stone, from 26 stone maybe I could believe it, but from 16 stone your not THAT overweight [unless your 4 foot tall, clearly]?

I am just about to pass my second stone lost in my new regime, after 7 weeks [hurray for me!!!]. But I started at 20 stone, and while the first stone fell off, it still took 3 1/2 weeks of living like a hermit, eating 100% good stuff and zero rubbish and going to the gym 3 - 5 times a week [work and real life permitting]. I don't see how I could have done it THAT much quicker, even with total starvation [which is not healthy or would not work for long term weight loss]?

So if I have taken 7 weeks to almost loose 2 stone, while being a zealot about it, I dont believe someone 4 stone lighter than me could loose a stone in such a short time without surgery or something dramatic [and dangerous?].

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

I lost a stone in a week and 8 pounds in the next week when i tried lipotrim so it is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Id say it is how he is calculating his weight Loss. If he was 16.3 stone, and dropped to 15.8, he might be just ignoring the decimal point and saying he lost a stone.

Either that or he got worms, or he hate a very dodgy kebab. A guy I work with lost 2 stone in 2 weeks when he got Stomach Flu. I lost a fair few pounds myself when I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I lost a stone in a week and 8 pounds in the next week when i tried lipotrim so it is possible.
    But were you a stone or two overweight [like the OP was talking about], or "very" overwight

The bigger you are, the more you will loose if you put your mind to it, sure

But at only a couple of stone overweight, you dont drop that fast, thats all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Congrats vaggabond! :)
    I think your numbers would be a bit excessive for most cases but I agree the first week's losses could be made up in this way. But the op also says that the person claimed to lose another stone the second week when all those 'easy' sources have presumably been used up?

Ah yeah, I agree. I think it is possible for a "on the scales" measurement. You know, like when a fighter hits the scales type thing. I think it's probably a load of <insert swear word of your choice here>.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

give him 6 months and he will have most of that put back on. Crash dieting does not work in the long term

theboss80 wrote: »

That still doesn't match the op's friends two stone in two weeks, so thus far its not possible.

And yeah agree Khannie sounds like a load of bull but until the guy lets slip the truth somehow we have to take it at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Just picked up on this thread and would agree with sentiments, lifestyle changes, 1-2 lbs per wk, long term thinking plus exercise is way to go, and I previously lost 4 st to 13.7 with Weight Watchers but all slimming clubs work same basically and I recommend them. Up to 30 Sept I lost 35 lbs over last 15 months, then I started a sponsored slim for Concern to lose 20 lbs by Xmas. And so far 7.25 lbs down to hit scales this morning at 12.13.3/4 in 6 wks, first time sub 13 in years! I'm happy that.

As an experiment and to get closer to my target I'm today beginning " a lose a stone in a week diet!" This one http://www.jaduncan.com/2006/04/how-i-lost-stone-in-week.html?m=1

Quite skeptical and have I'd say no easy weight to lose, plus I drink loads water so won't be getting dehydrated etc, also weigh early morning so comparable measures.

FYI I'm 53 guy, sometime runner, with 3x DCMs done so not unfit. Will report back how it goes, may even start a log?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Walkedit wrote: »
    As an experiment and to get closer to my target I'm today beginning " a lose a stone in a week diet!" This one http://www.jaduncan.com/2006/04/how-i-lost-stone-in-week.html?m=1
    It might of be better starting a new thread rather than digging up areas one.

But that's an idiotic diet.
    There's barely meals there, it's a few random snacks, 1egg, 1 piece of dry toast.
    Comments such as;
    "No substitutes allowed. The basis of the diet is chemical, not the quantities"
    Highlight the nonsense behind this.
    It's under eating, plain and simple.

Maybe the guy did see a change on the scales of 14lbs, but this wasn't anything close to 14lbs fat loss. The majority would be water, stomach contents, etc.
    So even if you did lose 14lbs in 1 week too. You'd put back on 10+lbs next week when you returned to normal.
    plus I drink loads water so won't be getting dehydrated etc,
    FYI, the easiest way to dehydrate yourself is to drink a lot of water. Especially with a diet lacking sodium/electrolytes.
    That's essentially how this "diet" works. Drinking lots of water to feel full will just flush your system out quicker.

Advertisement