Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    You should really start a seperate thread. Do you have a power point in your attic?
    i know peter i just saw tonys post and i thought he would see it in here 1st, yes i do have a power point in the attic. would this here be the way to go http://cpc.farnell.com/triax/334032/2-way-domestic-tv-distribution/dp/AP00716 and would this actually boost the signal even more so if it wasnt split

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

18 dB seems a lot of gain for a distribution amp, you could probably run multiple tvs off 1 output on that particular model depending on what the input signal is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    You should really start a seperate thread.

Agreed, this thread is really for 120 specific discussion. I should have suggested a new thread but thought it would only be a single post answer.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

hehe, isn't the other thread actually more for 120 discussion. :P
    This was supposed to be some kind of small ''summary'' help thread, no?

A lot of queries here could/should have been posted in the existing Ariva 120 UBERTHREAD. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭COB MGV8

I have managed to attach an externally powered harddrive to my Ariva 120, and it can pause live tv and record etc - the first time I use it. Thereafter, I have to delete the REC folder it creates to get it to work again. If I don't do this, the Ariva comes up with a "no rec partition" message. Anyone else had this problem ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

COB MGV8 wrote: »
    I have managed to attach an externally powered harddrive to my Ariva 120, and it can pause live tv and record etc - the first time I use it. Thereafter, I have to delete the REC folder it creates to get it to work again. If I don't do this, the Ariva comes up with a "no rec partition" message. Anyone else had this problem ?

Not me, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Brian P

COB MGV8 wrote: »
    If I ran into trouble like this I would automatically Format my external drive just to see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭COB MGV8

Brian P wrote: »
    If I ran into trouble like this I would automatically Format my external drive just to see what happens

I'll give that a go and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Im looking at the Ariva 120 Combo HD box, and notice I can record with it, but got confused reading the following:
    "This combo HD box will allow you to watch Freesat channels from the UK using a 60 cm dish (sky dish) as well as the new RTE digital service using an aerial."

I only have a sky dish, and wish to get Irish channels as well as FTA.

@ Tony, I can't seem to PM you, as Id like a price on 2 maybe 3 boxes, and have a few questions regarding the recording of irish channels while watching digital fta channel:confused:

Thanks

Edit: After reading some more, it does look like I need an aerial, so I guess I need a Saorview Combi box if such exists? Can anyone point me in the right direction pls? Thanks very much.

I'm sorry you cannot send Pm's as I've disabled them . You have to bear in mind that this particular forum cannot be used for commercial interaction.
    mumof2 wrote: »
    Edit: After reading some more, it does look like I need an aerial, so I guess I need a Saorview Combi box if such exists? Can anyone point me in the right direction pls? Thanks very much.

Not sure what you mean by this , the ferguson can receive the saorview channels using an aerial ?

• Advertisement

Tony wrote: »
    I'm sorry you cannot send Pm's as I've disabled them . You have to bear in mind that this particular forum cannot be used for commercial interaction.

Not sure what you mean by this , the ferguson can receive the saorview channels using an aerial ?

My point is I don't have/want to get an aerial......

So - all in all - will the Ariva 120 do the trick (receive FTA + Irish Digital Chanels) not having an aerial? I only have a sky dish. (And I understand about the commercial side of things on boards btw;))

Once Im happy Im getting what I need I can then contact you personally if required:D Thanks Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Trevord

So - all in all - will the Ariva 120 do the trick (receive FTA + Irish Digital Chanels) not having an aerial? I only have a sky dish. (And I understand about the commercial side of things on boards btw;))

Once Im happy Im getting what I need I can then contact you personally if required:D Thanks Tony.

At a minimum you will need a rabbits ears for saorview and more likely a loft or roof aerial if unless you are in a very strong signal area.

Trevord wrote: »
    At a minimum you will need a rabbits ears for saorview and more likely a loft or roof aerial if unless you are in a very strong signal area.

That doesn't make any sense - why would I want to go and buy a combi box only to have to go and buy rabbit's ears or aerials just to get Irish channels - I thought they were going digital??:confused:

They are digital right now but you still need an aerial. The only way to get RTE free at present is using an aerial . Just because something is brodcast digitally does not mean that it comes via satellite . Again we are getting off topic so perhaps you should start a new thread if you need further help.

So - all in all - will the Ariva 120 do the trick

No, as you quoted yourself it uses an aerial to get RTE (digitally)

"This combo HD box will allow you to watch Freesat channels from the UK using a 60 cm dish (sky dish) as well as the new RTE digital service using an aerial."

No problem, if its any help i have the latest firmware with a channel list built in which you are welcome to use http://www.mediafire.com/?frz54tnv1fjabra

Heres a how to guide , follow it to the letter apart from unzipping the file which you do not have to do http://www.mediafire.com/?ji0kdvqodn3v07i

Hope this helps

Tony,
    I tried to download that firmware from that link, but when I clicked the computer told me that's an audio file and offered to open it using iTunes.
    Is that correct?
    TIA,
    Ross.

Tony,
    I tried to download that firmware from that link, but when I clicked the computer told me that's an audio file and offered to open it using iTunes.
    Is that correct?
    TIA,
    Ross.

No off course not, its a ferguson firmware file not an audio file. You should save it directly on to a USB key, no need to unzip it or do anything else

Thanks, Johnboy & Dislanger.
    So, I'm downloading FormatFactory to my laptopas we speak. (Or 'as I type')
    Once that's done, I need to change the format of the movies on my HDD into something the FA120 can read, right?
    I presume that to do that I need to plug the HDD into my laptop. What do I do then? How do I know what format to convert them to? They currently are .avi. Will they still be in the .avi "wrapper" afterwards, or will it be .ste (something else)?
    Thanx in advance,
    L-M
    AVI is a 'wrapper' for the video.
    The video is in a 'format' determined by the codec.
    There is a list of supported video codecs in the manual ... don't have it to hand presently, but it was referenced earlier in the thread.

You process the AVI file to change the video to a supported format.
    You do so on your computer.
    What application you use to do that is dependent on your operating system.
    Some suggestions for Windows were also given earlier in the thread ...... sorry I don't use Windows so cannot advise what app is most suitable.

I hope that helps you get started ........ and maybe someone with the relevant info can chime in.

regards.

EDIT: Sorry ...... maybe the info is in the main Ariva 120 thread :(
    Dislanger wrote: »
    The programme recommended on many threads for converting media types, and which I use, is Format Factory; converts almost anything. It's free and very user friendly

No off course not, its a ferguson firmware file not an audio file. You should save it directly on to a USB key, no need to unzip it or do anything else

Seemed a little odd, but I presume that it's someting to do with the .abs file extension. Maybe windows uses .abs for audio and ferguson uses it for firmware, or something.

I've saved it to a USB key now anyway. I'm away ATM, but when I get home I'll try plugging it in.

Thanx,
    L-M.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I bought a Ferguson Ariva 120 from Tony recently. I am very happy with the reception of Irish and British stations. When I record a programme on my hard drive via the USB port on the front I get a name on the file that is not related to the programme I recorded. I recorded the Munster V Leinster match on Friday on TG4 and it is named BBC News. Is there anything I can do to have the names assigned properly?

Done. My machine is now on 2.15b8
    Seemed a little odd, but I presume that it's someting to do with the .abs file extension. Maybe windows uses .abs for audio and ferguson uses it for firmware, or something.

I've saved it to a USB key now anyway. I'm away ATM, but when I get home I'll try plugging it in.

Thanx,
    L-M.

• Advertisement

joolsveer wrote: »
    I bought a Ferguson Ariva 120 from Tony recently. I am very happy with the reception of Irish and British stations. When I record a programme on my hard drive via the USB port on the front I get a name on the file that is not related to the programme I recorded. I recorded the Munster V Leinster match on Friday on TG4 and it is named BBC News. Is there anything I can do to have the names assigned properly?
    Look to the bottom of the Media Player page where your programme is incorrectly named and press red button(Rename). Make your correction there. Press Exit to save the correction.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭discobrother1

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has a channel list for the 2.15b8 patched firmware or if not will a dumpfile.abs- userdb from the official 2.15b8 work on the patched version?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has a channel list for the 2.15b8 patched firmware or if not will a dumpfile.abs- userdb from the official 2.15b8 work on the patched version?

Cheers

I have a channel list for 2.15B5 patched if you're interested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭discobrother1

Hi Nutzz

Thanks for the offer mate. I already have a good 2.15b5 channel list but im having 'issues' with the firmwares 'connection' so i was going to upgrade to the b8 but then have no userdb for it. Tbh the b5 has become unusable so i have no choice but to try b8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Hi Nutzz

Thanks for the offer mate. I already have a good 2.15b5 channel list but im having 'issues' with the firmwares 'connection' so i was going to upgrade to the b8 but then have no userdb for it. Tbh the b5 has become unusable so i have no choice but to try b8

Really? I haven't had any problems with B5, I upgraded to B8 a while ago but had to downgrade again as B5 is just so stable and reliable. Are you sure it's the firmware and not 'other' factors?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kierytek

Hi, can anyone help me, how do you play avi files or MPEG4 files via usb on this box. All I get is sound, tried converting file from avi to mpeg4 but still get the message - video codec not supported,. Any help greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Brian P wrote: »
    Look to the bottom of the Media Player page where your programme is incorrectly named and press red button(Rename). Make your correction there. Press Exit to save the correction.:)

Thanks but that does not address my problem. I want the box to record the correct name for each programme recorded. My vu+ duo does and my Humax Freesat STB does.

joolsveer wrote: »
    Thanks but that does not address my problem. I want the box to record the correct name for each programme recorded. My vu+ duo does and my Humax Freesat STB does.
    Hopefully a near future firmware update will do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Benolam

I have had this problem also. I have seen it on two Ariva 120 STBs. I have done a few tests. It seems that if the STB is left 'on' and on the channel to be recorded when the recording starts the correct name appears on the recording.
    If the STB is in standby or on a different channel when the recording starts the wrong programme name will appear on the (correct) recording.
    My guess is that it is not picking up the correct EIT (now & next) quickly enough after coming out of standby or changing channel.
    Also when a recording is taking place there are no menu functions available.
    I have a few other negative points too, but, in summary: for around €100 its fine for watching TV on Irish DTT and UK Sat channel. If you want a serious PVR this is not the box for you.
    Anyone else have a PVR related comment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I have the same issues as you, Benolam. Am hoping for a firmware update too.You will also find that if you recording a Sat channel, only those channels on the same transponder will display. You cannot watch CBS Reality while recording any of the Beeb channels. The No Info issue applies to all channels, Sat & DTT:(.

Advertisement