Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598
    From BBC

A massive earthquake has hit the northeast of Japan triggering a tsunami that has caused extensive damage.

Japanese television showed cars, ships and even buildings being swept away by a vast wall of water after the 8.9 magnitude earthquake.

Officials said there could be a 10m (33ft) wave, with numerous casualties feared.

The quake struck about 250 miles (400km) from Tokyo at a depth of 20 miles, shaking the capital.

The tremor at 1446 local time (0546 GMT) was followed by a series of powerful aftershocks.

Seismologists say it is one of the largest earthquakes to hit Japan for many years.

The tsunami warning was extended to the Philippines, Indonesia and the Pacific coast of Russia.

Tsunami waves hit Japan's Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures, officials said.

Japan's NHK television showed a massive surge of water sweeping away buildings, cars and ships.

The earthquake also triggered a number of fires.

There were also reports of injuries in Tokyo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

8.8 is an absolutely huge earthquake. The same size as the Chile earthquake last year. This could be catastrophic if there is a Tsunami.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

A small Tsunami already hit Japan, worries there could be another wave and what the first wave will be doing out in the Pacific.

Some of the footage doesn't fill one with confidence. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

From Sky News
    Cars, trucks, houses and buildings have been swept away by tsunami in Onahama city in Fukushima prefecture
    This sounds real bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

Live coverage from Japan in English
    http://wwitv.com/tv_channels/6810.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I got an email from someone in Japan one hour ago.
    Emailed them back half an hour ago and still no response, which I thought was unusual. But now??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

wow some very scary footage of the tsunami unfolding. Unbelieveable.

Jesus, just watching a tsunami engulfing a huge area :eek:

enda1 wrote: »
    I got an email from someone in Japan one hour ago.
    Emailed them back half an hour ago and still no response, which I thought was unusual. But now??

The mobile phone system isn't working and the Internet there is running slow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Not a word on the news here yet. RTÉ or Newstalk. :mad:

• Advertisement

Agonist wrote: »
    The mobile phone system isn't working and the Internet there is running slow

Thanks.

Luckily its only a work contact so let's say the relationship isn't personal though I still hope he's ok of course.

Anyone know the extent of the Tsunami? How much of the coast was/is affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

http://www.justin.tv/live_news#

CNN are shocking some shocking footage! This is crazy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

enda1 wrote: »
    Anyone know the extent of the Tsunami? How much of the coast was/is affected?
    i say we wont know for another while, waves are said to get bigger so could be bad. Hopefully not tho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Al-Jazeera have been covering it for a while - shocking stuff.

I don't like the look of that wave. I hope they are all getting out of there quick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There have been several earthquakes: the 8.8 was off the north-east coast, a long way from Tokyo, but affecting Sendai and neighbouring towns. The first place I look in these cases is the USGS PAGER page, which estimates the numbers of people directly affected by the quake. The estimates say that close to 2 million people experienced magnitude VIII shaking: bad, but not extreme. But that doesn't include the impact of the tsunami on the coast.

Tokyo has been affected by another quake: a 6.8 struck about 66km north of the city, half an hour after the 8.8 quake.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Yakult wrote: »
    i say we wont know for another while, waves are said to get bigger so could be bad. Hopefully not tho.

I just got an email from a the guy I am in contact with in Japan.

Said the building he's in was shaking for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

watching houses just ket swept away like driftwood on the beach. scary stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Scary, scary stuff. Remember hearing about this book years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Sixty-Seconds-That-Change-World/dp/0283060794

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Russia just issues Tsunami warning !!

• Advertisement

thats that uber-fancy airport they put on a man-made island isnt it? Kansai. completely flooded now. infrastructure is getting slammed, it might be hard to get aid in there.

oil refineries are gonna blow... massive inferno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

The current footage is terrifying. The sweeping mass of water carrying cars and debris looks totally unstoppable; it's just ripping across the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Overheal wrote: »
    thats that uber-fancy airport they put on a man-made island isnt it? Kansai. completely flooded now. infrastructure is getting slammed, it might be hard to get aid in there.
    Is that a report or a guess? The 8.9 hit north-east Japan near Sendai, while Kansai airport is near Osaka at the southern end of Japan, something like 800km away and there's lots of land between it and the quake epicentre.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Overheal wrote: »
    oil refineries are gonna blow... massive inferno

Yes, I can't see how that heat won't blow the others

Another huge wave. I hope this one is smaller

bnt wrote: »
    Is that a report or a guess? The 8.9 hit north-east Japan near Sendai, while Kansai airport is near Osaka at the southern end of Japan, something like 800km away and there's lots of land between it and the quake epicentre.

It says a 10 m tsunami hit Sendai airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

7th largest earthquake ever recorded.

Did the PM say something about radiation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Sunami warning for Hawaii this is crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Tsunami sirens sounding in Honolulu ! Wave expected in 3 hours. Vertical evacuation in place. 3rd floor or above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement