Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 New Section of D3 (three lanes) at Swords

• 13-05-2010 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Fingal Co Co has published plans for the widening of a 2km section of the M1 to Dual 3 Lane. The section is between J2 (Airport) and J3 (Drinan). An interesting point, the specs for the Northbound carraigeway is for 3 x 3.65m lanes, while those for the Southbound carraigeway is for 3 x 3.5m lanes. Also, the Hard Shoulders are down as varied - so maybe they'll stay at 3m generally. The Median Strips are 1.0m as usual.

What I'm guessing is that a 100kph limit will be imposed for Southbound traffic in order to keep the pressure off the M50. If that's so, can one conclude that the standard specs for a 3 lane motorway carraigeway are:

1 x 3.00m Hard Shoulder
    3 x 3.65m Lanes
    1 x 1.00m Median Strip
    Total Pavement: 14.95m?

Another interesting point is the two concrete median barriers proposed. The link is as follow:

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Roads/SchemesonDisplay/M1CARRIAGEWAYBETWEENAIRPORTANDDRINANINT/

Regards!

MOD EDIT:

New camera active online shows the site

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

Site0Camera111.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

The difference in lane width between the two carriageways seems a bit odd. Why not just have them all equal at 3.575m?

Is a 2.5m hard shoulder not the norm for everything new these days? On the proposed cross-section the Southbound HS actually looks wider than the Northbound; so maybe all running lanes could all be 3.65m?

The 2 concrete barriers makes sense - concrete barriers usually have to split in 2 to go around bridge and overhead gantry supports. I'm guessing there will be at least a couple of overhead gantry supports or bridge supports so it would only be splitting, rejoining, splitting, rejoining if they were to try to just use a single barrier over such a short distance. Also, (I think) there is lighting poles in the median so 2 seperate barriers would save them having to do anything with those lights.

PS - nothing stopping them imposing a 100kmh limit Southbound even if the lanes are 3.65m.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭alentejo

They should really consider having 3 lanes from the airport to the Jct4. Would seem a bit piecemeal as they eventually need to extend this....

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

alentejo wrote: »
    They should really consider having 3 lanes from the airport to the Jct4. Would seem a bit piecemeal as they eventually need to extend this....

Totally agree with this although the bridge over the estuary just before Junction 4 would have to be rebuilt which would probably add quite a bit to the cost of the project.

But anytime I travel out this road heading north during rush hour the traffic always seems to ease off after Junction 4.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jayuu wrote: »
    Totally agree with this although the bridge over the estuary just before Junction 4 would have to be rebuilt which would probably add quite a bit to the cost of the project.

But anytime I travel out this road heading north during rush hour the traffic always seems to ease off after Junction 4.

The Estuary bridge is more than wide enough - it has space for a third lane in the centre as part of its design.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The two bridges, the one over the estuary and the one over Seatown Road are wide enough for another lane both sides with space left. The bridges were of course built with this in mind. No rebuilding is necessary, just laying the surface.

Crossed with MYOB!!

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    The Estuary bridge is more than wide enough - it has space for a third lane in the centre as part of its design.

Fair enough. Its been a while since I've actually driven over it and I would have thought it wasn't wide enough. In that case I don't see why they couldn't extend it all the way to Junction 4.

And while they were working it would be handy to have Junction 3 upgraded to a full junction.

And while they were working it would be handy to have Junction 3 upgraded to a full junction.
    J3 doesn't need to be a full junction. It's these junctions that slow down traffic flow, Swords already has two full junctions and one north off and south on, more than enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

D3 all the way to Junction 4 or its not worth doing.

Considering the "recent" nature of many of our roads, the unnecessary tailbacks in certain areas is a classic example of how this country ballsed it up. D3 southbound to the ball at Naas and merge to D2 is another disaster in evening peak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bypass Galway first , delays on this stretch are minor league and widening a waste of money to my mind!!!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Bypass Galway first , delays on this stretch are minor league and widening a waste of money to my mind!!!
    Let have your definition of minor?

Also note that FCC's proposals and Galways bypass aren't mutually exclusive and come from a different fund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Galway has far less traffic to deal with compared to Dublin, also the M1 connects the two biggest cities in Ireland - Dublin to Belfast through some of the most densely populated parts of the country, if this road needs to be widened in order for traffic to flow then this should be done.

Population of Galway 231,035 - area 6,148 km2 - density 37 per km2
    Population of Fingal region 239,813 - area 448.07 km2 - density 535 per km2

Yes Galway does need to be by-passed but you can't say don't do this job or that job before you do this one or this is a waste of money.

People in Dublin have had to live with the worst traffic in the country for years, we are only recently seeing an improvement in this thanks to the upgrade of the M50, as a result of this upgrade traffic is getting to the M1 in a much quicker and more steady flow, this is now causing this stretch of the M1 Motorway to clog up at peak times so yes this upgrade does need to be done ASAP so the people of Swords, Balbriggan, Gormanstown, Stamullen, Drogheda, Dundalk, Newry whom use this route to commute to and from work on a daily basis and then you also have the intercity traffic heading to Belfast, on a road of this importance you should expect traffic not to have to come to a standstill around Swords each and every evening.

Lets not forget that this is a Motorway and slowdowns like this should not occur on a regular basis.

celticbest wrote: »
    Lets not forget that this is a Motorway and slowdowns like this should not occur on a regular basis.
    I agree

but...
    Galway has far less traffic to deal with compared to Dublin, also the M1 connects the two biggest cities in Ireland - Dublin to Belfast through some of the most densely populated parts of the country, if this road needs to be widened in order for traffic to flow then this should be done.

Population of Galway 231,035 - area 6,148 km2 - density 37 per km2
    Population of Fingal region 239,813 - area 448.07 km2 - density 535 per km2

Yes Galway does need to be by-passed but you can't say don't do this job or that job before you do this one or this is a waste of money.

People in Dublin have had to live with the worst traffic in the country for years, we are only recently seeing an improvement in this thanks to the upgrade of the M50, as a result of this upgrade traffic is getting to the M1 in a much quicker and more steady flow, this is now causing this stretch of the M1 Motorway to clog up at peak times so yes this upgrade does need to be done ASAP so the people of Swords, Balbriggan, Gormanstown, Stamullen, Drogheda, Dundalk, Newry whom use this route to commute to and from work on a daily basis and then you also have the intercity traffic heading to Belfast, on a road of this importance you should expect traffic not to have to come to a standstill around Swords each and every evening.

We're talking about a bypass of Galway City, not the entire County!! Population density in Galway City is obviously far greater than the density of the whole County (it's the second biggest county in the Ireland!).

I do think the M1 widening should go ahead and I don't think it will ever be a case of either the Galway BP or the M1 widening only going ahead, both eventually will.

However, if it was the case that one had to get priority over the other then the Galway Bypass would definitely have to be given priority. It wouldn't even come close to being a contest, no offence to the people of North Dublin/the M1 corridor.

KevR wrote: »
    However, if it was the case that one had to get priority over the other then the Galway Bypass would definitely have to be given priority. It wouldn't even come close to being a contest, no offence to the people of North Dublin/the M1 corridor.
    Totally unbiased view of course. :rolleyes:

We're talking about a bypass of Galway City, not the entire County!! Population density in Galway City is obviously far greater than the density of the whole County (it's the second biggest county in the Ireland!).

As I stated before the M1 is a major route which connects city to city, the Galway bypass from what I can see doesn't connect to any other major route, correct me if I'm wrong.

Proposed N6 -Galway outer Bypass.JPG

Lets not forget that the M1 is the mainline link to Dublin Port and Dublin Airport, both of which are the busiest goods/people movers in the country.

Dublin Airport is expected to have 20 million passengers this year, it's usually open 364 days a year (except for ash clouds) this equals an average of about 55,000 people using it a day, http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1016963.shtml

Dublin port, the latest figures I could find (2003) Passengers through were 1.5 million this as per above standard would equal an average of about 4,100 passengers a day, also 23.5 million tonnes of cargo pass through it yearly, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Port

It therefore goes without saying that the M1 is a higher priority than Galway City by-pass, Galway in the last census had a population of 72,414, Dublin Airport daily passengers numbers are 55,000+ Dublin port passengers 4,100 and the population of Swords 33,998 = 93,098 these numbers alone are greater than the population of Galway by over 20,600. This is without adding in the other commuter towns along the M1.

As I said before Galway deserves a by-pass but you have to look at the numbers before you can say that it should be a priority over the M1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I'd imagine that part of the reason for this is the fact that on the northbound carraigeway, the 3rd lane that's been added hasn't been done very well up to the airport - it has quite a sharp bend in it just past the airport junction, where it runs back onto the original M1 lanes.It's quite dangerous at speed. I've also noticed that traffic has been very slow between that point and the Drynan exit, with people changing lanes (badly) to exit at Drynan and merging from the airport ramp aswell.
    But for the love of God, the traffic!!!! We've JUST got over the M1/M50 works.The lack of joined up thinking (ie why wasn't this done as part of those works) in this country terrifies me. Add it to the excellent example of works on the M50 removing all traffic lights at junctions, while up the road on the M1, they are happily installing traffic lights at the roundabouts at the Donabate/Swords exit (one set of which they have now removed)....
    Do we ever learn??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

It will be a complete waste, as everyone that drives on 3 lane motorways drives in the middle lane/right lane, the left lane simply won't be used as the M50 and N7 proves:(.

It will be a complete waste, as everyone that drives on 3 lane motorways drives in the middle lane/right lane, the left lane simply won't be used as the M50 and N7 proves:(.
    That generalisation is incorrect.

Even if that is the case and I don't completely agree with it, there will still be extra capacity which is what the road needs.
    Its just a pity they aren't extending it to Junction 4. From my driving experiences of the road during rush hour once you get past this junction the traffic thins out quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Do people actually drive in the left lane on the M50 when it is full of traffic?

I've driven the N7 countless times including during rush hour heading for Dublin and I had a lane to myself(because I was just about the only person driving in the driving(left) lane).

It gets very annoying very quickly having to jump 2 lanes to overtake someone and jump another 2 lanes back once the overtaking manoeuvre is complete:(.

I'm not against 3 lane carraigeways in principle but no more should be built until people learn how to drive on them properly, mind you people can't manage 2 lane carriageways either, though not to anything like the extent that people can't handle 3 lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

but no more should be built until people learn how to drive on them properly,

Thats a bit excessive, a few cameras sending out fines for lane indiscipline would do wonders.

• Advertisement

I would have to say that I disagree with your above statement, it would not be a complete waste 'captainspeed', yes lane discipline in this country is very poor but it is up to the people in charge to start enforcing the rules of the road. However just saying that it would be a complete waste could not be further from the truth.

As an example lets have a look at the M50.

Since the adding of the extra lanes the motorway has been free moving. However in the one spot at Junction 6 Blanchardstown on the NB carriageway were for a short distance under the junction it reverts back to 2 lanes there is on more occasions than not a hold up at this point.

Again per your statement above 'captainspeed', how does this hold up occur if everyone drives in the second or third lane?

The more lanes that are in place then the quicker traffic moves even if the majority of people on the road do not know how to drive on it correctly.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Totally unbiased view of course. :rolleyes:

You don't know anything about me apart from 'Galway City' on my profile so you can't make an informed comment on whether or not I am biased.
    As I stated before the M1 is a major route which connects city to city, the Galway bypass from what I can see doesn't connect to any other major route, correct me if I'm wrong.

Proposed N6 -Galway outer Bypass.JPG

Lets not forget that the M1 is the mainline link to Dublin Port and Dublin Airport, both of which are the busiest goods/people movers in the country.

Dublin Airport is expected to have 20 million passengers this year, it's usually open 364 days a year (except for ash clouds) this equals an average of about 55,000 people using it a day, http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1016963.shtml

Dublin port, the latest figures I could find (2003) Passengers through were 1.5 million this as per above standard would equal an average of about 4,100 passengers a day, also 23.5 million tonnes of cargo pass through it yearly, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Port

It therefore goes without saying that the M1 is a higher priority than Galway City by-pass, Galway in the last census had a population of 72,414, Dublin Airport daily passengers numbers are 55,000+ Dublin port passengers 4,100 and the population of Swords 33,998 = 93,098 these numbers alone are greater than the population of Galway by over 20,600. This is without adding in the other commuter towns along the M1.

As I said before Galway deserves a by-pass but you have to look at the numbers before you can say that it should be a priority over the M1.

Hold on a minute. You are talking as if the M1 does not exist and that the old N1 is the only route which connects Dublin City/Airport/Port and Belfast.

The reasons you give for the Dublin City/Airport/Port to Belfast route being more important than the Galway Bypass route are true and that is why the M1 was built long before the Galway Bypass!! The existing M1 also has a free-flow connection with the M50 (Dublin's Bypass/Orbital)

There is already a motorway (M1) there which can handle large amounts of traffic and copes well with volumes most of the day. There are some delays at certain times of day - the majority of people who use the M1 don't even experience noticeable delays. These delays are minor when compared to delays in Galway - I have driven all around Dublin including the M1 in various levels of traffic; have you or Bluetonic ever driven fully across Galway at peak times?

To put things into context for you - imagine what traffic in Dublin City would be like without the M50 because that's pretty much what Galway is like at the moment. I think widening the M1 would be the least of Dublin's traffic worries if the M50 was still only in the planning stages!

"the Galway bypass from what I can see doesn't connect to any other major route, correct me if I'm wrong." The Galway Bypass will connect to the M6; the M17 and M18 are starting construction at the end of this year and they will both connect to the M6 (which as I mentioned connects to the bypass). The M6 currently ends at an at-grade roundabout in Doughiska - this roundabout was not in the initial plans, the bypass was supposed to have been built at the same time with the M6 feeding directly into it. The bypass didn't happen and the M6 now ends at a 'temporary' roundabout. Soon the M17 and M18 will feed into the M6 and all the traffic from 3 major motorways will arrive at an at-grade roundabout instead of the grade-seperated Dual Carriageway (the bypass).

More context - imagine the M1 ending at an at-grade roundabout in Drumcondra and the M50 (including the Port Tunnel) not existing. That would be similar to the current setup in Galway.

I hope the M1 widening does go ahead but I will never accept that delays on that short section of the M1 are worse than the delays around the whole of Galway City. I don't think either of the projects actually have any bearing on each other but I simply can't agree with someone who claims the M1 widening should have priority over the Galway Bypass if the two projects did have a bearing on each other. It seems some people actually get offended if it is suggested that somewhere other than Dublin has worse traffic than Dublin. I really wish Galway didn't have the traffic problems that it does - having worse traffic than Dublin is not something I am at all happy about or proud of.

You don't know anything about me apart from 'Galway City' on my profile so you can't make an informed comment on whether or not I am biased.

Hold on a minute. You are talking as if the M1 does not exist and that the old N1 is the only route which connects Dublin City/Airport/Port and Belfast.

The reasons you give for the Dublin City/Airport/Port to Belfast route being more important than the Galway Bypass route are true and that is why the M1 was built long before the Galway Bypass!! The existing M1 also has a free-flow connection with the M50 (Dublin's Bypass/Orbital)

There is already a motorway (M1) there which can handle large amounts of traffic and copes well with volumes most of the day. There are some delays at certain times of day - the majority of people who use the M1 don't even experience noticeable delays. These delays are minor when compared to delays in Galway - I have driven all around Dublin including the M1 in various levels of traffic; have you or Bluetonic ever driven fully across Galway at peak times?

To put things into context for you - imagine what traffic in Dublin City would be like without the M50 because that's pretty much what Galway is like at the moment. I think widening the M1 would be the least of Dublin's traffic worries if the M50 was still only in the planning stages!

"the Galway bypass from what I can see doesn't connect to any other major route, correct me if I'm wrong." The Galway Bypass will connect to the M6; the M17 and M18 are starting construction at the end of this year and they will both connect to the M6 (which as I mentioned connects to the bypass). The M6 currently ends at an at-grade roundabout in Doughiska - this roundabout was not in the initial plans, the bypass was supposed to have been built at the same time with the M6 feeding directly into it. The bypass didn't happen and the M6 now ends at a 'temporary' roundabout. Soon the M17 and M18 will feed into the M6 and all the traffic from 3 major motorways will arrive at an at-grade roundabout instead of the grade-seperated Dual Carriageway (the bypass).

More context - imagine the M1 ending at an at-grade roundabout in Drumcondra and the M50 (including the Port Tunnel) not existing. That would be similar to the current setup in Galway.

I hope the M1 widening does go ahead but I will never accept that delays on that short section of the M1 are worse than the delays around the whole of Galway City. I don't think either of the projects actually have any bearing on each other but I simply can't agree with someone who claims the M1 widening should have priority over the Galway Bypass if the two projects did have a bearing on each other. It seems some people actually get offended if it is suggested that somewhere other than Dublin has worse traffic than Dublin. I really wish Galway didn't have the traffic problems that it does - having worse traffic than Dublin is not something I am at all happy about or proud of.

My sister-in-law actually lives in Galway (Doughiska) so I'm down there on a regular basis, the traffic is not comparable to Dublin traffic in anyway whatsoever, yes it's just like any city once you get within a certain radius of the centre the traffic gets heavy.

From my experience the heavy traffic only starts on the Headford road on the Dublin side & this is approx. 2.1km from the City Centre. I'm not sure about the far side of Galway?

From O'Connell street in Dublin until you get to the M1(Port Tunnel) is approx 7.8km. So people in Dublin also have to sit in major traffic to get out of the city.

Yes currently Galway has no ring road and as I've said before it should get one but as I've also stated before that the M1 needs this upgrade to keep traffic flowing.

This upgrade is only a 2km stretch of road were only one lane needs to be added and by all accounts this job will only take about two months to complete as it is a straight forward lane lay in place of a grass median.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Traffic in Galway moves a LOT slower for that 2.1KM than it does for the 7.8km in Dublin.

It can take 45mins to get from one side of the city to the other - which for a small city is absurd.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

dan_d wrote: »
    Add it to the excellent example of works on the M50 removing all traffic lights at junctions, while up the road on the M1, they are happily installing traffic lights at the roundabouts at the Donabate/Swords exit (one set of which they have now removed)....
    Do we ever learn??
    This summary isn't correct.

I don't think you understand the function of the traffic lights. For low to medium traffic volumes, they don't impede traffic; they improve its efficiency.

There are 3 stages, each increasing the throughput of the previous:

Uncontrolled low-capacity junction (usually roundabout)
    Signal-controlled roundabout
    Freeflow junction

So the M50 has moved from stage 2 to 3 between 2008-2010, while it sounds like Donabate is moving from stage 1 to 2.
    I've driven the N7 countless times including during rush hour heading for Dublin and I had a lane to myself(because I was just about the only person driving in the driving(left) lane).
    I think you're exaggerating here, captainspeed. No way do I believe that in heavy traffic conditions, the left hand lane would be empty. In my experience, people generally drive in the middle lane largely due to the volume of traffic coming in from junction merges, which is a reasonable plan of action on the M50 where junctions are closely spaced (less justifiable on the N7). However as traffic volume increases, the left lane fills too. The capacity of a 6-laner is, IIRC, 82,000 AADT.

Lighten up, in was a tongue in cheek comment.

Regards everything else your talking through your hat, M1 > Galway bypass for the reasons stated above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

MYOB wrote: »
    Traffic in Galway moves a LOT slower for that 2.1KM than it does for the 7.8km in Dublin.

It can take 45mins to get from one side of the city to the other - which for a small city is absurd.

Realistically Galway shouldnt even be a city, its just a big town. For a big town, it has absolutely atrotious traffic at rush hour.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Lighten up, in was a tongue in cheek comment.

Regards everything else your talking through your hat, M1 > Galway bypass for the reasons stated above.

What part of my post(s) do you consider to be 'through my hat'?

I think the M1 should be widened but my stance on the issue certainly hasn't come about on the back of you convincing me (you haven't exactly put forward a huge argument on why the M1 should be done at all and certainly haven't put forward anything convincing with regards to the off-topic argument that the M1 has worse traffic than Galway City).

This was the traffic around the Airport junction 2 heading NB last night, it was at a standstill as usual.

[IMG][/img]Junction2M1NB.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'm not sure that D3 will make a huge amount of difference over such a short stretch (or tbh, even to Lissenhall) - certainly not southbound as all the delays are caused by the huge number of people merging over a very short distance approaching the M1/M50 Junction.

Northbound it'll help, but only to a degree. Only a third lane all the way to at least Lissenhall will make a big difference. What's really needed is 3+Aux lanes as per the M50.

I maintain that both the airport exit merge Northbound and M50/M1 merges southbound, and possibly the airport interchange itself need to be totally relaid out. At the minute there are some very sharp changes in direction in all lanes, northbound especially.

Advertisement