Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

• 07-03-2006 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Edit:

Hi! I'm boards.ie's tbh. Below you can find the start-to-finish story of the circumcision I had a couple of years ago. I still get lots of pm's from other guys asking me questions, and it's a topic that pops up a lot in PI and Men's health, so I thought it'd be a good idea to re-open the thread and let everyone have a look.

If you have been told that you need this op, hopefully the thread below will reassure you. This thread generated the most replies in PI of a non-stickied thread (even though it was closed a year ago) so that might give you some reassurance that you are not alone.

enjoy!
    tbh

Hi -

regular poster going unreg'd for this. I need to get a circumcision - foreskin is very tight and painful to retract. My family GP is a family friend, and a woman, so I'd rather not go to her with this. Is there a "well-man" clinic anywhere in Dublin that could help? Has anyone gone through this before (I'm over 25) and if so, how was it? Is it sore? Is there any difference afterwards?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Hi there

I had a circumcision, for the same reasons as you, just last year. It was definitely worth the embarassment and pain ;-)

First off, you will need a referral to a urologist - any GP can give you a letter. Perhaps you can ring a GPs surgery in a neighbouring town/area to make an appointment with a male GP if that will make you more at ease.

I went on a waiting list for about six months to have the procedure done privately. Recovery took about two weeks and it was quite painful the first few days, after that just tender.

Feel free to post again or PM me if you need any more details.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭HappyDude

Had one done a year ago at age 27 in the US. As previous poster said, go to family doctor and get referral to urologist. it is nothing they have not seen before. Urologist took a look, explained the surgery, and booked me in for a month later. Dont be shy about going to a doctor with this - just pick one and go. They are paid well enough! :p

Day surgery for me, local anaesthetic. In and out in just over an hour. I was back in work about a week later, although it was about 3-4 weeks before swelling had gone down and stitches dissolved. It was sore for 2/3 days, and was glad i had the time off work. After that it is just uncomfortable. That gets better.

Again, PM if you have any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

erm, i'm kind of in the same position myself, my foreskin is too tight to retract, anytime it does it's in the *heat* of the moment when the juices are flowing so to speak..

Apart from hygene reasons, is this not normal? Surely a lot of men are like this? Is it unsafe or anything, it's just been the norm for me so i don't really know any different.

guys thanks a lot for the advice - it really helped, will make an appointment with another gp tomorrow.

hi in the same boat as these lads and was wondering about the cost of these operations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Have to add my voice to the chorus of encouragement here.

Went to local GP, was referred to surgeon and had it done 7 weeks later.

And my god was it worth it. Definitely definitely recommended. Yes, it is rather sore at the time (waking up in the middle of the night with a stiffy two nights after the operation is alarming to say the least) but its damn well been worth it.

Oh yeah :cool:

ps. Don't be worried if yer GP is a woman! She has seen this a thousand times before. Circumcision ain't a sex change op - its standard and necessary for many men. Don't feel embarassed in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

General surgeons also perform circumcisions and the wait to see one might be much less than a urologist. If it is an emergency and you go to A&E you might even get it done the same day.

el tel wrote:
    General surgeons also perform circumcisions and the wait to see one might be much less than a urologist. If it is an emergency and you go to A&E you might even get it done the same day.

Emergency?

What counts as an emergency.

I ripped my banjo string before and all they did was reattach it at a later date.

Totally pointless given I got a circumcision a few months after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

quad_red wrote:
    Emergency?

What counts as an emergency.

I ripped my banjo string before and all they did was reattach it at a later date.

Totally pointless given I got a circumcision a few months after that.

One might need an emergency circumcision in the case of paraphimosis (retracted foreskin becomes stuck impairing the blood supply to the end of the penis). This is a medical emergency needing immediate attention.

A broken 'banjo string' is not quite in the same league.

(And this is not a medical board either...;) )

I had the same problem as you before, the opening was very small and it was extremely painful to pull back. But stretching does work. Go for a millimeter further back everyday. It'll take several weeks before you can do it fully but it's worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mutenye

I have the same problem as the gentlemen that have posted. However I'm not in any hurry to have a circumscision but I would be interested in a preputiplasty or a frenuloplasty (depending on exactly which one I need). Both are day patient procedeures with only a local anasthetic needed. I haven't been to a gp yet because I know what they will say... "you need a circumscision I need to refer you to a urologist", so I'm trying to find out the name of a urologist who deals with this sort of thing so I can get the gp to refer me to that particular expert who will know what a preputioplasty and frenuloplasty are. If anyone has any information I'd be really grateful. I can't find anything on the net about urology in ireland, especially regarding this problem...typical!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Pretty much any urologist worth his salt will know about them - so what if the GP refers you to one for "circumcision". You will have consultations beforehand, and can discuss it in more detail with the urologist

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Squirmy wrote:
    I need to get a circumcision
    I would suggest that maybe you don't. This is a common problem and there are other potential solutions. Solutions which don't remove the function of the foreskin.

Now many who have this operation will recommend it precisely because of the discomfort of their pre op state and they have no experience of a normal penis. Very few men with fully functional foreskins would remove them as it both protects the sensitivity of the head and has quite a bit of nerve endings in of itself, which contribute to the sexual response. I know I certainly wouldn't have it removed for all the tea etc. -
    foreskin is very tight and painful to retract
    Tightskins advice is a good start. Steroidal creams are another route to research. I would be wary of many US sites as it is a very polarised issue over there. they circumcise 90 odd % of boys soon after birth(for no good reason) and have a tendency to not see any potential harm in the operation(some even think of an uncircumcised willy as being somehow unnatural and unhygenic which is frankly daft).
    Has anyone gone through this before (I'm over 25) and if so, how was it?
    One of my mates did and has regretted it. Another did his research and found another solution(hence I know all this stuff :)
    Is there any difference afterwards?
    As I said before, you will get relief from your current state, but you may lose the chance to have a fully functional organ. For a start the head of the penis becomes keratinised(hardens) which obviously reduces the sensitivity. Of course as you are now this doesn't really come into it, but it might. Research, research research would be my mantra. Good luck anyhow.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

quad_red wrote:
    I ripped my banjo string

ok I need to know -- what's your banjo string? :( I *think* I know what it is, but... :o

Mutenye wrote:
    ...what a preputioplasty and frenuloplasty are. If anyone has any information I'd be really grateful..

Well, I had a Frenuloplasty done about a year before I had a circumcision. It was a pretty simple procedure & relatively painless. Relative to circumcision that is - its still quite uncomfortable and sore.

But it didn't do me any good. I didn't notice any real improvement after it. So I think it was a mistake on my surgeons part.

Should've gone straight for circumcision. Would've saved a useless penis operation, discomfort and a years more discomfort re nookie.
    DaveMcG wrote:
    what's your banjo string?

Sorry man - it's the frenulum :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Let's not talk about the banjo string, i have a very strong stomach but even i find it hard listening to that shíte!!:eek: *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I think what Wibbs said, should be listened to. Circumcision is not the only answer to the problems you have. Hell I had that problem when I was 13ish. If I had not seen something on Discovery channel about this I would be in the same boat you are now. However this program also went into "stretching". After a month or two of trying this out. I had a perfectly working foreskin. Oh and if you are worried about "braking" the skin while doing this. Don’t. As long as you don’t force it, it will be ok. There are many sites online about the subject.

Also at no point in any medical report have they ever found that circumcision will lead to a "cleaner" penis. It will not stop or reduce the chances of Urinary Tract Infections. What will happen is the skin on the head of the penis will get harder, meaning a loss of sensation during sex. You may also find that friction from clothes will cause discomfort.

But the decision is yours. But don’t make it till you read up on all the options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

When I was younger I used to have the same kind of tightness issues but when I started having sex I paritally ripped my banjo string and that sorted everything out!!
    I remember my partner at the time was telling me that I needed to go to hospital as I was bleeding so much. I told her no way. I wrapped it up and rested it for while and all was fine....was a bit dizzy after the incident though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

seriously, enough of the banjo string:(

Hi guys,

Well, it took me a while but finally made an appointment to see the GP. I was really dreading it and so kept putting it off, but finally just made the call. Thought I'd just post what happened for anyone who reads this that may be in the same boat. The appointment was fine, Doc asked me what was up and I started by saying "it's a bit embarrassing", then said my foreskin was very tight and painful, difficult to keep everything clean etc. told to pop up on the table and lower the trousers - he had a quick look and told me I'd need a circumscision. Weird thing was, he didn't refer me to anyone in particular, told me to ring the mater private and get a name, and then he would send a letter - didn't really help to be honest. Anyway, I got the name of a guy through a family friend who's a doc, and have an appointment next month. I imagine the op will be pretty soon after that. I'll let you know what happens.

I've been living with this for a couple of years, and it's been something thats always been in the back of my mind for that time. I knew I would have to sort it but kept hoping it would go away. I'm really glad its all getting sorted now, and keep thinking "this time next month it'll all be done and I won't have to carry it around with me anymore" (pardon the pun). If you have something similar, get it checked out, it's well worth it.

Thanks very much to all the lads who posted and pm'd with support, honestly, if you hadn't posted I wouldn't have gone to the gp. thanks guys, I hope to be able to do the same for someone else to pay it forward.

• Advertisement

TightSkin wrote:
    I had the same problem as you before, the opening was very small and it was extremely painful to pull back. But stretching does work. Go for a millimeter further back everyday. It'll take several weeks before you can do it fully but it's worth it.
    Same here, mine would not fully retract until I was 18 or so. So people should consider that there may be other options (I see OP's doctor determined that circumcision was necessary in his case however.)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I need to get a circumcision - foreskin is very tight and painful to retract.
    Were you able to retract it fully though?
    What exactly do you mean by your foreshin was painful? The actual foreskin?
    Are you sure you need a circumcision, people seem to hop on the circumcision boat without looking at frenuplasty etc.
    Have you had sex? Was the penis ridiculously sensitive, ie you hit the roof when your head is touched?

However, if it is necessary, good luck man. :)

Hi,i am a 16 year old male and i have found it difficult over the past year to shake from the back of my mind that i cannot retract my foreskin very far at all.i have once got the foreskin JUST behind the head but found it very painful and felt sick.i am considering getting a circumcision but am worried whether i will experince much pain after the operation,and for how long? someone please post back i am quite distressed

Chumdiddy wrote:
    Hi,i am a 16 year old male and i have found it difficult over the past year to shake from the back of my mind that i cannot retract my foreskin very far at all.i have once got the foreskin JUST behind the head but found it very painful and felt sick.i am considering getting a circumcision but am worried whether i will experince much pain after the operation,and for how long? someone please post back i am quite distressed

Jesus mate, calm down.

First of all - don't do anything to damage yourself. Your foreskin does not necessarily have to retract. Some guy do the business no problem without retracting the foreskin at all.

If you can have an erection etc. without retracting the foreskin and without it being painfully tight then I wouldn't worry.

Even if it is tight - I wouldn't worry.

I was circumcised when I was 24. Twas not painful per se - but it was uncomfortable. And it took time to get used to.

But, as I said - don't worry about it. It's a simple thing to remedy if you think you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Chumdiddy wrote:

If you think you might need a circumcision, go to your GP. Squirmy did the same and despite his initial apprehension it definitely seems to have paid off for him.
    If you dont want a circumcision, some people have suggested retraction exercises and Im sure if you did this consistently it would eventually work. By the time you get an appointment and the recovery is over, maybe it might be even quicker, depending on what part of the country you are in.
    As regards pain of circumcison, I think it is quite painful immediately after the procedure, more so than in circumcised babies. Your GP and posters who have had the surgery could fill you in better on that. But circumcision is extremely routine, very basic stuff, and both your surgeon and GP will have seen this condition many times before and will be glad to help.
    ok I need to know -- what's your banjo string? I *think* I know what it is, but...

Id like to know the answer to this too, cant imagine what it would be tbh. I was circumcised as a baby but Im pretty sure Ive never had a banjo string:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

InFront wrote:
    If you think you might need a circumcision, go to your GP. Squirmy did the same and despite his initial apprehension it definitely seems to have paid off for him.

i think we just crossed the line into medical advise.....

i'm in the same boat as all you guys, i found out a few months ago actually! GP was a family friend but instead I just went to a random GP and he wrote a letter to the hospital and i got a letter for an examination and 5weeks later now and i'm going in next week. i'm actually just looking forward to getting it done, my friend told me basically if you get an erection that it's very sore cos of stitches etc but that i'll be bandaged up etc and shouldn't be in pain otherwise, his dad is a urologist and he is a med student himself so he's kinda put me at ease!

anyway i'll let you know next week how it goes. to the 16year old, if you want to go into hospital for the op you need to be accompanied by a parent. Otherwise hold out until you are 17. I was worried about my family finding out etc so I was really careful about it! Also keep in mind you need to get discharged so you're going to have to tell somebody because they won't let you leave the hospital otherwise. If you're covered by BUPA/VHI it's free but whoever is in charge of that will get a letter etc saying that it has been accounted for so I went public and it's only €60 for the government levy but I had to pay €50 to the GP too.

To all of you who have this problem, I had the same problem and did nothing about it for a few years. I finally got around to seeing a doctor about it and 8 weeks later it was all over. I regret not having it done sooner.

I would say go to your doctor as soon as possible, he'll refer you to a urologist. Of course you'll be very embarrassed and nervous going in first time but believe me after 2 minutes in the doctors surgery you'll be relieved you went in.

The operation itself is done as day treatment. In to the hospital, gassed, wake up an hour later with the job done. It'll be sore for a couple of days and you'll be out of action for a week or two but the medication looks after it.

I was sorry I didn't have it sooner and believe me if you want a sex life you need to get your skates on!

(And girls seem to prefer it without the hood ;))

actually when you say out of action do you mean work etc? I thought you'd be able to go about your daily life just fine except for the sexual part! and how long do you have to wait before you can start having sex after it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,233 ✭✭✭✭Victor

InFront wrote:
    banjo string
    The frenelum - the piece of skin that holds the foreskin to the glans.

You also have two frenelums holding your lips to your jaws.

Advertisement