Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 car seats in a Toyota Avensis?

• 12-03-2012 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭gifted

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know if it's possible to get 3 car seats into the back of a Toyota Avensis? We have a 3 year old and a 19 month old and another one on the way. The car is a 2008 Avensis and going great and it's killing us to change to a people carrier. To get a people carrier of the same age I would probably have to give 6/7k with the Avensis :(.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

with the maxi cosi baby seat and a normal britax non isofix seat you might jsut fit a booseter in the middle or you might squeeze in a baby seat and 2 of the britax 123s but it will be a super tight fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Super tight and there may also be issues with buckle crunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭gifted

Thanks Moonbeam,

We'll take a look at that combo, hopefully it will work. :)

Hi January,

Thanks for highlighting that. That sounds fairly serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I have a verso nd the buckles are lower than the seat, when I purchased the baby seats the woman checked them out before she sold them to us. We've got ,2 britax evolva 123 seats and up until 2 years ago we had a britax booster seat in the middle, ( she's too tall for it now)

It was a tight fit as all seats were wide, you can get a slimmer booster seat for the middle.

Best bet is to go to a shop and get the assistant to See what will fit in your car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

It might be worth your while if you can find your nearest mother care with the space outside,they'll bring the seat out to your car to fit it, it might take a bit of convincing but they should be able to see if it's possible to get three age appropriate seats in...

Tony Kealys will fit them for you too.

Be careful with booster seats. Many people move their children in to them way too early. Their suitability should be determined by height not age, but three year olds would rarely be tall enough for a booster seat.

Oh and don't limit yourselves to people carriers. A mini mpv like a Renault scenic would be ideal with its three individual rear seats.

Be careful with booster seats. Many people move their children in to them way too early. Their suitability should be determined by height not age, but three year olds would rarely be tall enough for a booster seat.

Oh and don't limit yourselves to people carriers. A mini mpv like a Renault scenic would be ideal with its three individual rear seats.

When we were car hunting we realised that the Scenic, while it does boast about three individual seats, does not actually have three FULL individual seats, the middle seat is smaller than the outer two seats making it hard to fit three car seats across the back. The Citroen Xsara Picasso on the other hand, does have three full seats in the back.

January wrote: »

When we were car hunting we realised that the Scenic, while it does boast about three individual seats, does not actually have three FULL individual seats, the middle seat is smaller than the outer two seats making it hard to fit three car seats across the back. The Citroen Xsara Picasso on the other hand, does have three full seats in the back.

Oh that's good to know. I didn't realise the middle was smaller. Did you go with the picasso in the end? I can't remember :o

• Advertisement

Oh that's good to know. I didn't realise the middle was smaller. Did you go with the picasso in the end? I can't remember :o

Haha, no we went with an Opel Zafira. We use one back seat for Addison in her car seat, but we're looking into getting a car seat that can be fitted with a lap belt (there's one in the middle of our car) as there is room to fit three car seats across the middle row. Younger models of the car have three full seat belts but ours is a 2002 model.

Is there such a car seat? It sounds like it wouldn't be very well supported? Obviously that's the type of thing you're looking into!! I've just never heard of one.

Is there such a car seat? It sounds like it wouldn't be very well supported? Obviously that's the type of thing you're looking into!! I've just never heard of one.

Britax Prince seems to be the only one, but, I'm very wary of it... I'm still researching it and have tweeted Simon at In Car Safety but he hasn't gotten back to me...

Britax are a very good brand so would be definitely worth considering I'd say.

We had a renault megan before we upgraded to the verso and we were told that if the 3 seats didnt fit, then the eldest child of the 3 is permitted to sit in the middle seat with NO booster seat or car seat and that they should wear the seatbelt. A lot of people cant afford to upgrade. For a time it was our only option.

Moonbeam added new laws below.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There are 3 exceptions to the law -

The New Law for Children over 3 and up to EITHER 1.35 metres in height, OR the age of 12

In the Front Seat

The child MUST use the correct child restraint.

In the Rear Seat

The child MUST use the correct restraint, where seat belts are fitted.

There are three exemptions, where a child in this category does not have to use a child restraint. In each case the child MUST use the adult belt instead. They are -

1) in a licensed taxi or private hire vehicle;

2) if the child is travelling on a short distance for reason of unexpected necessity;

3) if there are two occupied child restraints in the rear which prevent the fitment of a third.

In addition, a child 3 and over may travel unrestrained in the rear seat of a vehicle if seat belts are not available.

It is the driver's legal responsibility to ensure that the child is correctly restrained.

For babies there is one -

The New Law for Children up to 3 years old

In the Front Seat

In the Rear Seat

In a licensed taxi or licensed hire car, if a child restraint is not available then the child may travel unrestrained in the rear. This is the only exemption, and has been introduced for practical rather than safety reasons. You should always think about ways to make sure that a child seat is available.

It is the driver's legal responsibility to ensure that the child is correctly restrained

Personally I want my kids to be as safe as possible in the car at all times,the 13 onth old is still in the carry tot and the 3 year old is in a rear facing seat.
    I have to buy a new car to carry the child that I mind too,he is 2 and has the same car seat as my 3 year old.

(Source http://www.rospa.com/)

I'm so shocked that they have made these changes. It's a step backwards and particularly number 2 - I understand if you are trying to get another child to the hospital or something, but the problem with this country is people look for loopholes and they will only have to claim that "it was an emergency" to get away with not bothering their arse to properly restrain their children.

:mad:
    2) if the child is travelling on a short distance for reason of unexpected necessity;

3) if there are two occupied child restraints in the rear which prevent the
    fitment of a third.

I can understand it in extreme emergencies.
    On an every day basis it is crazy,it is safer to just put another car seat in the front.

There's no way the third part of that rule should exist, at all and I can't believe some people would use it as an excuse to get out of using a car seat... If I put a seat belt across Addison in the back seat and we were in a crash, she'd be strangled other than anything else because she's not tall enough for the belt...

• Advertisement

There's no way the third part of that rule should exist, at all and I can't believe some people would use it as an excuse to get out of using a car seat... If I put a seat belt across Addison in the back seat and we were in a crash, she'd be strangled other than anything else because she's not tall enough for the belt...

It's essentially saying that the child in the middle is less important!

I think they are well aware not everyone can afford a big car, and do not penalise people for being unable to buy a big car.

As i said we did it for 6months then took out a 17k loan to buy the verso. Its not an excuse when there are 5 people in the car. If there is only 1 adult and 3 kids then the baby seat can be fitted in the front IF the airbag turned off.

It is my opinion that if you can't fit the kids in the car then using the car is not an option as a result I have to walk or get a bus or train to go anywhere during the week.
    There is no way I could afford 17k to spend on a car but I am buying another car to fit the kids in to safely.
    I am a bit crazy about car safety and the kids and I really hope it is never warranted but if it is I need to know that I did the best that I could to protect them and not have to think about the what if I had...

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It is my opinion that if you can't fit the kids in the car then using the car is not an option as a result I have to walk or get a bus or train to go anywhere during the week.
    There is no way I could afford 17k to spend on a car but I am buying another car to fit the kids in to safely.

I am a bit crazy about car safety and the kids and I really hope it is never warranted but if it is I need to know that I did the best that I could to protect them and not have to think about the what if I had...

100% agree.

Except the bit in bold :p- it ain't crazy to want to give your kids the utmost protection - it's normal.

And you know that I unfortunately have been in the situation where I could have been living the rest of my life wondering "what if", but I'm not, thank god. Having to attend your own child's (or children's) inquest is quite a horrific experience, but imagine that inquest had ruled that if your child had been in a proper car seat they might have had a better chance of surviving? No thanks!

If you can't afford a bigger car then you walk or get the bus/train... there is no way I would compromise my child's safety because I couldn't afford a bigger car. When my third daughter was born we were in the predicament where we couldn't fit all three kids in the car with proper restraints, we saved for 4 months and got a bit of a loan off my partner's parents.

In the meantime, if we wanted to go anywhere we walked/bussed there, or one of us went while the other stayed back with the kids, or if we really needed it my partner's father would come and collect the oldest and put her in her car seat in his car and we'd travel over to their house that way.

Yes, it was a pain in ass most times, yes it was tedious and it took a lot of time out of a day, BUT it was worth it rather than thinking what if.

We bought the 7 seater when the baby was 4 months old, and it didn't cost the earth, it cost €2500.

But this is getting off the OP too... have you had any luck OP?

If you can't afford a bigger car then you walk or get the bus/train... there is no way I would compromise my child's safety because I couldn't afford a bigger car. When my third daughter was born we were in the predicament where we couldn't fit all three kids in the car with proper restraints, we saved for 4 months and got a bit of a loan off my partner's parents.

In the meantime, if we wanted to go anywhere we walked/bussed there, or one of us went while the other stayed back with the kids, or if we really needed it my partner's father would come and collect the oldest and put her in her car seat in his car and we'd travel over to their house that way.

Yes, it was a pain in ass most times, yes it was tedious and it took a lot of time out of a day, BUT it was worth it rather than thinking what if.

We bought the 7 seater when the baby was 4 months old, and it didn't cost the earth, it cost €2500.

But this is getting off the OP too... have you had any luck OP?

Just wondering if you have the same opinion on car seats, you choose the cheaper option and go for a booster cusion or you save for 4 months and get one with side impact protection.

Same then would apply to the car, and it's safety features. Also that would involve getting car serviced every 6000km to check brakes and etc.

It's not too long ago that kids could sit freely in the car. Not everyone has a bus stop or train station outside their door. Walking 6km with 3 kids under 7 is no fun at all, infact not many parents let their kids walk on country roads because they class them as too dangerous. There are always what ifs.

Hiya,

Thanks for all your replies, some got our hopes up, others got us worried :D, we have a free day on friday do we are gonna go looking at baby seats then, we will let ye know if we have any luck...( or one of the kids is going on ebay :D)

gifted wrote: »
    Hiya,

Thanks for all your replies, some got our hopes up, others got us worried :D, we have a free day on friday do we are gonna go looking at baby seats then, we will let ye know if we have any luck...( or one of the kids is going on ebay :D)

I'm on the hunt for a child! Send me on the ebay link when it's up :D

gifted wrote: »
    Hiya,

Enjoy, fingers crossed you find a seat to fit in the middle, or it you have to try different combinations.

• Advertisement

Just wondering if you have the same opinion on car seats, you choose the cheaper option and go for a booster cusion or you save for 4 months and get one with side impact protection.

Same then would apply to the car, and it's safety features. Also that would involve getting car serviced every 6000km to check brakes and etc.

It's not too long ago that kids could sit freely in the car. Not everyone has a bus stop or train station outside their door. Walking 6km with 3 kids under 7 is no fun at all, infact not many parents let their kids walk on country roads because they class them as too dangerous. There are always what ifs.

You can buy a group 0+ car seat (this one) in Argos for €64, car seats don't have to cost the earth. So there's no excuse to put a child that is not tall/heavy enough for a booster cushion on one.

Listen, we can argue all day long about this, if you have circumstances where you can't transport all of your children safely then you need to look for alternatives. Now, I know the law is the law but IMO it's a stupid law that should never exist in the first place. It places children in danger, full stop.

Advertisement