Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NUIM First Years Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Knew this thread would catch on :cool:

Delighted I got campus today!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ItsJustLaura

Anyone get their course through the hear scheme and going up next week for the introduction week thing? I'm kinda nervous about it. Also got on campus! Delighted! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RobertSullivan

Anyone get their course through the hear scheme and going up next week for the introduction week thing? I'm kinda nervous about it. Also got on campus! Delighted! :)

I got it through the HEAR scheme and I'm going up for the Launchpad. It's going to be weird :)
    I didn't get on campus, hoping I'll get it on the 29th :)

What courses are ye going doing?

I'm doing arts :) What about yourself?

• Advertisement

Finance and economics. Though I think it's arts :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14 koptart

What date is launchpad. Have debs on Monday 1st sept. Wouldnt want to miss out too much. Arts here too.

It's the 31st to the 3rd I think. Looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

What is launchpad? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Any fellow Kilkenny people here planning on going to Maynooth? Buzzing to start but not sure what to do about transport or accommodation.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FatherlyNick

I got it through the HEAR scheme and I'm going up for the Launchpad. It's going to be weird :)
    I didn't get on campus, hoping I'll get it on the 29th :)

Nothing to be nervous about, trust me. Its going to be 3 days of awesome!

Pai Mei wrote: »
    What is launchpad? :)

It is a 3 day 'welcome to NUI Maynooth' event. It happens about a week before registration. It is only avaliable to people who came to NUIM through the HEAR or DARE schemes.

koptart wrote: »
    What date is launchpad. Have debs on Monday 1st sept. Wouldnt want to miss out too much. Arts here too.

31st to the 3rd of August. You might want to contact someone from HEAR about your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

As an out going fourth year, good luck to all of you. - you'll all love it eventually, commuting or not! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Physick

JuniorMint wrote: »
    Does anyone know the best route from Templeogue to Maynooth? I went on Google Maps and it said the shortest bus journey was nearly 2 hours.

There are a few options available.

1) slevins coaches (slevinscoaches . com) has details for a private coach that goes from around south Dublin to Maynooth every day (except for exams, see method 2). Price is 35 euro per week, then there is a price per trip and per trip return if you'd prefer, but obviously the weekly is cheapest if you're coming in every day. This is the method I use. It goes there twice and returns twice, goes to be there at 9 and 12, and leaves Maynooth at 3 and 6 (2 on a Friday!). Takes an hour and twenty minutes for the start point to end point, sometimes more sometimes less.

2) A bus into town and then the 66 or 67 to Maynooth

3) The M50 by car is surprisingly quick but requires an automobile.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

JuniorMint wrote: »
    Does anyone know the best route from Templeogue to Maynooth? I went on Google Maps and it said the shortest bus journey was nearly 2 hours.

Theres a college bus that goes from Templeogue each day:

https://www.nuim.ie/sites/default/files/assets/document/Dundrum%20to%20Maynooth%20Slevins.pdf

uwotlad wrote: »
    nah not a thing. Missed out on the campus lotto.
    Am i the only one who thinks living with some family whos rentin out a bedroom is weird as hell?
    Not too fond of the poverty palaces I've seen so far.

At this stage you'd be blessed to get anything better than a soggy wet, mouldy cardboard supermacs box in Maynooth to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 simsha

I got accommodation on campus through the lottery draw, anyone know if its possible to request them to give me a place with females? Or is it impossible to find to just females in on campus accommodation..? I'm just curious.

It's impossible to find anywhere! If anyone has a room let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭blackkeyes

Arts! I've kinda always wanted to do anthropology so I think I'm going to do it with computer science and Chinese

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭blackkeyes

Arts! I've kinda always wanted to do anthropology so I think I'm going to do it with computer science and Chinese

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭FifaPlaya

Hello i am a student in fifth year who is interested in a course in nuim.I have a question. How far would the campus be from the train station?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

FifaPlaya wrote: »
    Hello i am a student in fifth year who is interested in a course in nuim.I have a question. How far would the campus be from the train station?

10/20 minutes walk at the max

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭FifaPlaya

10/20 minutes walk at the max

thanks for the reply

Well I dunno about ye but I can't fooking wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TomConroy444

anyone with available accommodation PM me...i left it to late :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 uwotlad

aaabbbb wrote: »
    At this stage you'd be blessed to get anything better than a soggy wet, mouldy cardboard supermacs box in Maynooth to rent.

1st years really get screwed there. I wasnt sure If id make the cut for NUIM, never thought about accomodation and now I get to commute from home....

uwotlad wrote: »
    1st years really get screwed there. I wasnt sure If id make the cut for NUIM, never thought about accomodation and now I get to commute from home....

I'd say learn to drive/get a car but the parking situation isn't much better than the housing situation tbh. Theres never any spaces from 09:30 - 16:30/17:00 in the college so its quite common to have to park elsewhere.

Traffic is also a nightmare in the town. Takes 30-45 mins to get from M4 to the college if you're in for 9 likewise in the evening it takes forever also.

But having said that commuting by car is far better than commuting by public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

FifaPlaya wrote: »

Not far enough to be a problem, 10 minutes if you really need to make your class, probably 15 minutes if you're not really bothered.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 martol

Heading into first year! Anyone doing European studies? Or anyone get the scholarship grant thingie for getting a 1000Euro after getting 525 points?

Advertisement