Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due in February 2015!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Can I ask you what the warning signs were? I just found out today that because of my blood pressure readings I will be in the taking aspirin every day, but in good news my bloods are normal and so is my uterine blood flow. But just want to keep an eye out for anything suspicious.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I only feel the little movements when I am lying quietly not thinking about anything, so generally when I'm drifting off for a little nap.

I'm definitely starting to get a little bit of a belly now. But I still have done no reading or research into anything to do with childbirth or babies. I'm kind of hoping that himself will just tell me what to do since this will be his 5th baby.

Ignorance is bliss! :D

They do say that. Ignorance (my own) makes me nervous, so I read tonnes of stuff. That said, I have never watched something like One Born Every Minute where I see other people go through childbirth. That kind of ignorance I can live with ;)

The earliest pre-eclampsia symptom I had was the oedema (swelling). I had read that swelling in the third trimester was normal, so didn't make a big deal out of it to my doc, despite my ankles and feet swelling to almost twice their size (i went from a size narrow 4.5 shoe to a extra wide 7.5). I actually got a fluid filled pouch on my belly that you could poke and it would keep the indentation for ages. I looked like I was wearing a bum-bag under my skin! When I was admitted to hospital, they said it was all part of the pre-eclampsia, and that my amount of swelling was not normal at all. I also gained huge amounts of fluid, so my weight shot up.

I also found my heart racing and it hard to breathe. My blood pressure (normally pretty low) was on the upper end of normal in the third trim.ester and shot up in the last few weeks which was why I was admitted to hospital, along with protein in my urine.

It's great that you're being monitored for it so closely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My noticable symptoms were a constant mild, dull headache, high bp and unbearably bad heartburn (which I didn't realise was a symptom until another boardsie pointed it out to me). Funnily enough, I never had swelling and only showed minor traces of protein in my urine which is why they didn't diagnose me with pre eclampsia until I was actually in labour and my bp went up to 165/115, even though I spent a lot of the last 6 weeks in hospital. It's good that you already know you bp is high, I think that's half the battle. I had a home bp monitor which I found helpful, just to take a reading once a day and make sure it didn't go too high.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Thanks very much for the information ladies. It's good to have an idea what to keep an eye out for. My dad has a home monitor and I might go drop by and use it occasionally, just to keep an eye on the old bp.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭missyb01

Had my first scan yesterday & confirmed i'm 15 weeks. Everything looks well soo far. During the scan, the baby never stopped moving, bouncing around & stretching which was great to see. This is my 1st child and it still feels surreal.

for anyone going for their 1st visit to the Rotunda, my app was at 11.30am and i was out at 2.45

Yay for happy and healthy scan babies :)

How is everyone feeling now you're into the 2nd trimester?

• Advertisement

Feeling great, my nausea has eased off a lot thank god :) Back to the maternity next week when I'll be 18 weeks, hopefully they'll scan me, if not I'll be booking a private anomaly scan (shocking that they don't do them in limerick as standard but that's a whole different story :rolleyes: )

How is everyone else doing? Are ye going to find out the gender of your babies? I'm mad to know mine so that i can go clothes shopping, I've picked up a few bits already but I'm not really into neutrals. A friend of mine had a baby last week and they didn't find out the gender, I don't know how they put up with the curiosity, not to mention other people's constant commenting and guessing!

2nd trimester hasnt started off too well for me. I suffer with migraines which seemed to have stayed away during the 1st trimester but they are now back with a bang. Acid & heartburn etc. is gone. My appetite hasnt really gone back to what it was before but the Nurse assured me it would get better over the next week or 2. Thankfully still no constipation :):):).

My next scan is on the 29th Sept so my plan is to find out what i'm having.

If anybody has any home remedies for helping with migraines, i would really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I just walked a 3 mile route that I used to jog, and I feel just as knackered! But in the first trimester, I did give up jogging and did a lot more swimming instead. Not enough though!
    I'm going to avoid finding out - for a start, I much prefer bright multicolours to swathes of monochrome pastels!

I'll find out, I think it will be easy prepare my toddler if she knows to expect a baby brother or sister.

I am pretty convinced it is a boy, but i'll find out in october, as they've booked me for an anomaly scan (i'm Limerick too, mrspostman, but I asked for one, as my daughter has an incredibly mild form of a rare genetic condition and I wanted to know if there was a chance future baby could have it too.

Migraines! Missb01, i feel your pain! I escaped them almost entirely for my first pregnancy, but have had multiple ones this time around. The only thing that even vaguely helps are those cooling migraine strips, but other than that i try to avoid any of my triggers (mine are almost always lighting related). I find there is no point taking paracetamol, my migraine goes on as strong with or without it, so it's just a case of waiting it out. If yours are really bad, talk to your doc, as there might be something else they can do.

Thanks Kash. I didn't even know there was migraine strips. I could never pin down my triggers & the docs said they were caused by hormones because i always got migraines around my period.

paracetamol don't work for me. I went to bed for an hour & kept a cold facecloth across my forehead. Next time i'm at the GP ill definitely discuss it with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 29Chicky

hi all hope everyone is feeling well.
    visited nurse about back pain and they just said it was sciatica .they were kind of dismissive about it really just said not to be lifting antiwar I've been trying not too and its improved a good bit. I still have a constant ache.im going to root out the maternity clothes this weekend I'm feeling huge!!
    this weekend
    other than that all is good.

whoop woke up today with a bump;) :) celebrating with a chocolate party tonight :) finally getting that pregnant feeling!!
    oh and piles :( ah well you can't win them all.

Hi, hope everybody is keeping well.

Just wondering if the tiredness/fatigue has passed for anybody yet. I'm roughly now at wk 17 and I am still absolutely floored with tiredness. I walk for 30 minutes on my lunch break and then on Saturday and Sunday, i walk maybe 4k each day. I walked the beach on Sunday and when i got home, I fell asleep for 2 hours!!!!! After i woke up, i felt like i had undone my exercise for the day

I am still sleeping 8 hours at night, taking my vitamins and having plenty of fruit and veg, thankfully my appetite is starting to return to normal but i just can't get my energy levels back up.

I could be ok for 4 or 5 days and then suddenly, I'll have a day where I literally feel like ive veen hit by a train but thankfully it only lasts a day or 2. Did you have your iron checked at your last clinic appointment missyb? It might be worth asking your doc to check your levels again just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TRISHKA

MissyB01 have to say still knackered with fatigue too and 19 weeks now so pretty sure it ain't going to lift, this is my 2nd dd will be 2 next week and fatigue lifted about 15 weeks when I was pregnant with her but no such luck this time. I am taking the pregnacare multivitamins and just trying to rest as much as possible(easier said than done) but i'm finding it v.hard to get a good solid nights sleep between toilet trips, nightmares and general unsettled sleep(hubby had to wake me the other night as talking so loudly in my sleep:rolleyes:) so if you discover any miracles cures please do share.

When i went for my 1st appointment back in August, i was told they would check my iron levels, got bloods taken etc. but nothing was ever mentioned after that. It's just unreal. Some nights i'm goin to bed at 9pm and falling fast asleep (the 2 toilet trips don't seem to faze me, i almost do them sleep walking at this stage). I get up at 7am to get ready for work and by 10am i feel like i need a nap. When i'm at family get togethers i'm like the elderly granny or something, have my little sleep in the chair in the corner while everybody around me is chatting away and watching tv.

I'm back in the hosp on the 29th of sept so i will mention the complete lack of energy and my migraines to them.

if they have any helpful tips, i'll pass them on TRISHKA

ya I'm still knackered too, sleeping 12 hours every night even the toddler doesn't wake me anymore .
    I've been taking the tesco brand iron but its not making much difference. Think last time it lifted around 20 weeks so here's hoping.
    my hormones have me beat this time too. I'm constantly taking offense to things that wouldn't normally bother me at all.

So anyone else still puking? I'm 18 weeks now and I am very sick of getting sick. It's not every day, but about once a week at this stage. I'd just like to know I'm not the only one.

lousy:( hope it ends soon.
    found my first trimester symptoms lasted till the 20 wk mark last time and they are similar this time. so maybe in the next few weeks you will notice a difference.

I hope so! Keeping my fingers crossed that I move into the magical stage of the second trimester soon.

• Advertisement

Halfway there! Can't believe how fast the time is flying :eek: We ended up having to tell people a few weeks ago because I was in with the doctor, it was a young locum who was on and she was literally talking so loud that my mam heard her from the waiting room :o I was hoping she didn't hear but she made a few comments about baby clothes so I knew I'd have to confess. Ah well. We found out 2 weeks ago that we're having a little girl :D Delighted but I'm frightened of my life to start clothes shopping because once I start, I won't be able to stop :o Back to the clinic again tomorrow, I've had 3 courses of anitibiotics for an unshiftable uti but fingers crossed it's sorted this time, it's a pain in the arse going in there :( Hope everyone else is doing ok x

Congrats Mrspostman, that's great. We plan on finding out in 2 weeks.

We still have a few people to tell but 2 of the girls in work said it to me before i had a chance to tell them and they are quite loud when they are talking to me so it won't be long before i will come clean to the rest of the office.

congrats Mrs postman :)
    would love a little girl but I'm thinking this ones a boy!!decided not to find out so its going to be a long wait.
    had nurses visit yesterday I misheard her when she said she was going for the doppler and thought she said doctor .I nearly fell off the bed with a fright. thank God all is well :)

So anyone else still puking? I'm 18 weeks now and I am very sick of getting sick. It's not every day, but about once a week at this stage. I'd just like to know I'm not the only one.

You're not :)

I haven't gone a day without puking in months. Sometimes it's more than 5 times a day, most days now it's 3-4 and on the good days I just puke once (horrible, horrible bile) It means I'm finding it super hard to stay hydrated, and have low blood pressure as a result. Which means I randomly faint, I've lost count of the number of times I've blacked out and keeled over!

The doc has been great, but has signed me off work for just under a month now, and I'm not convinced she'll let me go back at all. No idea how we'll manage when my sick pay runs out - we both work, but I earn more than twice what he does so we take a big hit when I'm not paid. Manageable for a few months of maternity, but not sure how manageable it is with a few months of illness on top!

That sucks for you. :( Does it help or annoy to be compared to Kate Midleton?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Was kicked off boards on my work computer- I've been able to read just not log in so I'm in my phone now.
    Glad to hear you are all doing well - apart from Kash who I hope is getting plenty rest and try not to worry about money issues. You're almost half way and you're managing very well :)

I am 19 + 4. So looking forward to that half way mark. I'm massive though. Could easily pass for someone 6 months along.

As I am going public I was going to get the anomaly scan done private like I did last time. It was €170 but I found it was worth the peace of mind. I rang up the same place again last week and they don't do them anymore! After a few calls I found somewhere in cork that does them for €200. Not sure if we can afford that now coming up to Christmas...

Maybe we should do a list of who's due when and where? (And if you know if it's a boy or girl)

I'll start, so just copy and paste and add yourself and post. Etc

Silly - Feb 14th - CUMH Cork.

Felt little kicks for the first time on friday and have had some kicks and hiccups throughout the weekend. i have to say its an indescribable feeling.

i'm well and truly in to maternity clothes now and had to buy large comfortable underwear this weekend.

i'm going away for a week to spain next week and i'm like a kid a Christmas time, just can't wait to get a break and a rest from work and no cooking and cleaning.

Hope you get better soon Kash.

Missyb01 - Feb 8th - Rotunda

• Registered Users Posts: 29 coopdloop

Hope you start it feel a little better soon Kash.

I'm midway through my 18th week now, still haven't felt any movement, hoping i will soon. My next scan is in 2weeks time so not too far away and fingers crossed everything will be ok.

Have had a little back trouble in recent weeks, felt like a trapped nerve in my backside! Have been to a physio that does women's health and she reckons it's down to pelvis tilting slightly. She gave me some strengthening exercises for my lower back (I'm on my feet all day in work) and got started on some pelvic floor exercises. Also started prenatal yoga last week in the hopes that'll be of some use later in the pregnancy!

Coopdloop - Feb 22nd - Coombe

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bomberino5

Hi All,

I'm 17 weeks and all is going fine. I've had no real complaints!! Fingers crossed it stays that way!
    I'm back doing exercise in the last few weeks and it feels great mind you it's not as quick or as much as I used to.

No movement or anything yet but well into the maternity clothes but I hate them! There's nothing really fashionable in maternity clothes I'm finding, so just buying bigger sizes in stuff I like.
    I have the Big scan as everyone keeps calling it in a few weeks and can't wait to see how it's growing!

Bomberino5 - Feb 28th - Coombe

Laters

• Advertisement

18 weeks, and going well. Think I detected some fluttery movements for the first time lying in bed last night!
    Bomberino5 - Feb 28th - Coombe
    Clartharlear - Feb 22nd - London

Advertisement