Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Letting someone drive my car? Am I allowed?

• 24-05-2014 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, I know many will say: "check insurance cert"
    so anyway, I am the insured one, and my parents are named drivers, under the named driver section it says:

"Any person in the Motor Trade who is driving with the insured's consent for purposes necessitated by the overhall, upkeep and/or repair of the vehicle for the insured."

and below that in addition it says:

"Provided that the person driving holds a license to drive the Vehicle or has held and is not disqualified for or prohibited by law from holding or obtaining such a license."

I don't quite fully understand that sentencing but - Who is covered to drive my car? if I have a friend who holds full clean Irish license, is he allowed to drive it?

Or does that mean only mechanics in garages are covered?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Anyone person can drive your car as long as it is stipulated in their own insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Anyone with a licence CAN drive it, they just may or may not be insured to do so.

Most insurance policies state what you've quoted above, in relation to people in the motor trade driving the car. This means that the insurance policy covers them driving the car for the purpose of repairs (they're insured to move the car from place to place), however, this is also usually accompanied by a clause that in the event of an accident with said mechanic driving, the claim is from their motor trade insurance, not the owners insurance policy.

Aside from that, anyone else who is insured to drive the car are either: named drivers on the policy OR people who's own insurance policy covers them for driving other peoples cars.

There's no real simple answer apart from: Mechanics can, named drivers can, anyone else needs to check THEIR OWN insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Anyone with a licence CAN drive it, they just may or may not be insured to do so.

Most insurance policies state what you've quoted above, in relation to people in the motor trade driving the car. This means that the insurance policy covers them driving the car for the purpose of repairs (they're insured to move the car from place to place), however, this is also usually accompanied by a clause that in the event of an accident with said mechanic driving, the claim is from their motor trade insurance, not the owners insurance policy.

Aside from that, anyone else who is insured to drive the car are either: named drivers on the policy OR people who's own insurance policy covers them for driving other peoples cars.

There's no real simple answer apart from: Mechanics can, named drivers can, anyone else needs to check THEIR OWN insurance policy.

Oh that clears up things, for some reason I thought my insurance could cover other driver if I am in car. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Never seen such clause.
    What if mechanic doesn't have motor trade insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

CiniO wrote: »
    Never seen such clause.
    What if mechanic doesn't have motor trade insurance?

Neither have I seen a clause like that but insurance companies play by their own rules and it wouldn't surprise me if someone came forward with this stipulated in their policy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

I could be wrong here...

I think that if you or your names drivers are NOT driving your car, then it is dependent on the driver whether or not THIER insurance is valid to drive your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

arleitiss wrote: »
    Oh that clears up things, for some reason I thought my insurance could cover other driver if I am in car. Thanks.

You can buy insurance that allows anyone to drive the car (with your permission) - it's usually purchased by companies, and the last time I looked it was hideously expensive.

Friends and I sometimes drive each others cars, but we do so under our own insurance (which we've checked in advance). So, you and I are going somewhere together in your car, you get tired, I take over the driving, and at that stage I'm driving your car under my insurance, which specifically states that I may do so. You can't assume that other people's insurance will cover them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I hadn't seen it either until a similar thread a while back, with someone looking for clarification on their policy. I'm not all that bothered trying to find it.

Advertisement