Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computing Students

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭siblers

http://www.woodsaerialandsat.ie/sitemap.html
    I wonder was that one of the projects from our web design project from last year? Nice site in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

14 hours! Man that's 2 nights sleeps for me :D
    Thought I could get a sleep in this morning but I'm so used of getting up around 6.30-7.00am that I wake up this time every morning.

That site looks crap on safari on tablet so can't judge it properly. Definitely not the winner either.

AntiRip wrote: »
    14 hours! Man that's 2 nights sleeps for me :D
    Thought I could get a sleep in this morning but I'm so used of getting up around 6.30-7.00am that I wake up this time every morning.

That site looks crap on safari on tablet so can't judge it properly. Definitely not the winner either.
    I had to do an all nighter wednesday night and was only getting 5-6 hrs the other nights so it was thoroughly deserved! :D

Really didn't like q1 today. I thought there was no way we'd get asked the same question from the CA we had this year. Questions ones from previous years were a lot easier as well. Can't hand write code to save my life, had to do out my q1 constructor 3 fecking times.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

siblers wrote: »
    Really didn't like q1 today. I thought there was no way we'd get asked the same question from the CA we had this year. Questions ones from previous years were a lot easier as well. Can't hand write code to save my life, had to do out my q1 constructor 3 fecking times.

probably a bit tricky in places alright paper overall was good though imo

• Advertisement

Best of luck to everyone today !

Got through them anyway, bit disapointed with my computing project (65%) thought I would have done a bit better, my documentation was atrocious so maybe not :pac:. Need to get stuck in with some java and OOA over the summer now though.

Got through them anyway, bit disapointed with my computing project (65%) thought I would have done a bit better, my documentation was atrocious so maybe not :pac:. Need to get stuck in with some java and OOA over the summer now though.

very happy with mine did best in the 2 i wanted to do best in , project and oop .

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gbro800

Happy with mine overall, also the Project and OOP were my best modules, might do some Java/coding over the summer but time to enjoy the Sun for now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Well I'm out of here! I can now officially put B.Sc. (Hons) on the CV! I thought this year would never end.:D

Thanks to everyone here for the chat and banter, wish ye all the best in the future.

• Advertisement

I see big changes afoot with some computing courses(new modules, whole semesters changed to work experience etc ) good to see things being freshened up.

JFlah wrote: »
    I see big changes afoot with some computing courses(new modules, whole semesters changed to work experience etc ) good to see things being freshened up.

Are we affected next year?

Are we affected next year?
    I,m not sure to be honest is it applicable from now or is it the structure of courses starting in September...... I hope we are though it's much better.

I,m not sure to be honest is it applicable from now or is it the structure of courses starting in September...... I hope we are though it's much better.

Do you have a link of these changes? It would be interesting to read. Cheers.

Would love to have the work experience changed to next year. Would love a break from the norm and get to see the type of work out there

Do you have a link of these changes? It would be interesting to read. Cheers.

Would love to have the work experience changed to next year. Would love a break from the norm and get to see the type of work out there
    could,nt agree more would definitely be a change for the better.

Just go to courses section of ITT website.

could,nt agree more would definitely be a change for the better.

Just go to courses section of ITT website.

Cheers lad ;) You enjoying the time off? I think I've already lost 80% of what I've learnt already :D

Cheers lad ;) You enjoying the time off? I think I've already lost 80% of what I've learnt already :D
    yeah it,s great but same as that my retention isn't what it used to be hopefully all the important stuff will still be in there somewhere.... :eek:

At least no repeats to worry about .

Exactly. I think I will go through all the labs again in Java soon just to keep it retained. It's amazing without the practice how you can slip back a bit. Although everyday I keep saying "ok definitely tomorrow, will start tomorrow" :D

Exactly. I think I will go through all the labs again in Java soon just to keep it retained. It's amazing without the practice how you can slip back a bit. Although everyday I keep saying "ok definitely tomorrow, will start tomorrow" :D
    We all do that ..... going through the labs is a good idea , though not the most exciting prospect !

I'm the exact same, I told myself as soon as it comes to July I'm gonna start some java so I better get cracking. Either of you guys gonna do any C#?

• Advertisement

I'm the exact same, I told myself as soon as it comes to July I'm gonna start some java so I better get cracking. Either of you guys gonna do any C#?

I'm not anyway. I'll be lucky to do Java. I'm away until next month so will look over Java then hopefully. C# is similar to VB isn't it? Can't see myself learning a new language in a couple months anyway.

I worked so hard over the year I need my family time and enjoy playing around with my small fella. Come September I'll be locked into the computer room again so I'm making the best of the time off :)

I'm not anyway. I'll be lucky to do Java. I'm away until next month so will look over Java then hopefully. C# is similar to VB isn't it? Can't see myself learning a new language in a couple months anyway.

I worked so hard over the year I need my family time and enjoy playing around with my small fella. Come September I'll be locked into the computer room again so I'm making the best of the time off :)

I'm the same myself, I was expecting to be bored out of my brains but the holidays are flying so far.

I'm the same myself, I was expecting to be bored out of my brains but the holidays are flying so far.

I know. 6 weeks gone already and I'm finding it great. Some brief periods of good weather and catching up on some tv, movies and games keeping me busy so far :)

Have ye seen the changes for next year? Looks like we have work placement 2nd semester. No mention of any projects next semester. Just ordinary modules.

Have ye seen the changes for next year? Looks like we have work placement 2nd semester. No mention of any projects next semester. Just ordinary modules.
    Yes it looks good.
    Hopefully it applies to us and not just courses commencing this year

I'd say the two Object Oriented modules will be project based, one is for making an App and the other is a group project in C#.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Nidge_Weasel

Hi guys, delighted to see this seems to be the most active thread on this forum, as it suits me down to the ground to ask a few questions!

I will be transferring from AIT to ITT this september for 4th year in the BSc In computing in software engineering. The main question I wanted to ask was that many of the student villages and the likes advertise themselves as being either close to the IT's north or south campus, so I need to ask, what campus will my course be based at?

Second of all, whats it like, what languages, technologies, facilities you guys got?

And finally is there much part time work available down there, as I wouldnt like to have to travel up to Athlone each weekend to work, Id nearly burn what I earned in fuel!

Any help from you guys would be great! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Hi guys, delighted to see this seems to be the most active thread on this forum, as it suits me down to the ground to ask a few questions!

I will be transferring from AIT to ITT this september for 4th year in the BSc In computing in software engineering. The main question I wanted to ask was that many of the student villages and the likes advertise themselves as being either close to the IT's north or south campus, so I need to ask, what campus will my course be based at?

Second of all, whats it like, what languages, technologies, facilities you guys got?

And finally is there much part time work available down there, as I wouldnt like to have to travel up to Athlone each weekend to work, Id nearly burn what I earned in fuel!

Any help from you guys would be great! :D

You will be in the north campus

There are accommodation beside the main NC but it can be isolated, but if your 4th year, socializing will be a low priority anyway. There is kings court where I think there is a bus route. There is also the student apartments An Sean Mhuileann something or other

Languages are mainly C# and Java as they are the biggest employers.

Facilities - In the NC there is a Library, canteen and study hall and lots of lecture rooms and labs, nothing terribly exciting tbf. In the SC there is a gym.

As for finding work, ill leave that to someone more knowledgeable but a bit of networking might set you up.

I'd say the two Object Oriented modules will be project based, one is for making an App and the other is a group project in C#.

OOA&D is apparently the toughest module we'll ever do but I'm hoping I have just spoken to a few who did'nt like it !!

• Advertisement

OOA&D is apparently the toughest module we'll ever do but I'm hoping I have just spoken to a few who did'nt like it !!

Yeah, heard a few horror stories myself. Seemed the module was very badly laid out with students getting very little support. Not really sure what the pass/fail ratio was but anyone who passed seemed to scrape by

Advertisement