Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computing Students

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭siblers

In question 1 of problem sheet 2, about the currency convertor, I'm stuck.
    Basically to convert euro to sterling, the programme keeps running unless you enter 0 as an amount for euros.
    This is my code.
    import javax.swing.*;
    public class exercise1 {
    public static void main(String args[])
    {
    String euroAsString;
    Float euro;

// 1 British pound sterling = 1.2549 euros

JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Please enter the amount you wish to convert to sterling");
    euro = Float.parseFloat(euroAsString);

while(euro!=0){

String output=String.format("The amount in sterling is%.2f",euro/1.3);
    }

JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null,"There is no ammount to convert",JOptionPane.INFORMATION_MESSAGE);

System.exit(0);
    }
    }

• Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Something like this ?

[PHP]import javax.swing.*;

public class exercise1 {

public static void main(String[] args) {
    // 1 British pound sterling = 1.2549 euros

Float euro;

// Ask at least once.
    euro = Float.parseFloat(JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Please enter the amount you wish to convert to sterling"));

// If its 0, dont execute while.
    // otherwise ...
    while(euro!=0)
    {
    //Do the conversion
    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog( null, String.format("The amount in sterling is %.2f", euro/1.2549));
    // Go again, if its 0 then the while loop will exit.
    euro = Float.parseFloat(JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Please enter the amount you wish to convert to sterling"));
    }
    //Display final message before exiting.
    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "There is no amount to convert, now exiting....", "Exiting...", JOptionPane.INFORMATION_MESSAGE);

System.exit(0);
    }
    }[/PHP]

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

siblers wrote: »
    In question 1 of problem sheet 2, about the currency convertor, I'm stuck.
    Basically to convert euro to sterling, the programme keeps running unless you enter 0 as an amount for euros.
    This is my code.

import javax.swing.*;

public class Lab1B_1
    {
    public static void main(String args[])
    {
    final double EXCHANGERATE = Double.parseDouble(JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Please enter the exchange rate: "));
    double sterlingAmount = Double.parseDouble(JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Please enter an amount in Sterling(0 to Exit): "));
    double euro = EXCHANGERATE*sterlingAmount;

while(sterlingAmount != 0)//While loop begins
    {

JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null,sterlingAmount+" is equal to "+String.format("%.2f",euro)+"Euro");

sterlingAmount = Double.parseDouble(JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Please enter an amount in Sterling(0 to Exit): "));
    euro = EXCHANGERATE*sterlingAmount;
    }//end while loop
    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null,"Thank you for using the system");
    System.exit(0);
    }// end of main method()
    }//end of class Lab1B_1

Sound lads, thanks.

• Advertisement

Any of you guys get a Garda Vetting form today?

Yeah got one , confused as to why I need it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Yes, got one too.

JFlah wrote: »
    Yeah got one , confused as to why I need it

Unless they plan on changing work experience to third year it doesn't really make sense. You'd have thought there would have been some mention of it in class

Unless they plan on changing work experience to third year it doesn't really make sense. You'd have thought there would have been some mention of it in class

Will have to check it out tomorrow

• Advertisement

might be looking for recruits for coder dojo, thought it was only third years they were after but maybe they are looking for second years too.

Sintel wrote: »
    might be looking for recruits for coder dojo, thought it was only third years they were after but maybe they are looking for second years too.

Yeah possibly... haha we,d really show those kids some programming!!

DB Concepts and SAD are doing my brain in :(

DB Concepts and SAD are doing my brain in :(

SAD isn't making any sense really, just seems poorly structured. Database is ok at the moment but I can't see it turning into a right cluster****.

SAD isn't making any sense really, just seems poorly structured. Database is ok at the moment but I can't see it turning into a right cluster****.

There seems to be such a volume of information in DB and SAD is all over the shop seems to be no beginning - middle-hopefully end. The project in SAD is appearing daunting already:(

Any craic everyone??
    how are things going?

I realise that I do tend to moan a lot :p, but 2nd year so far is just pretty tedious. Gonna just try grind through to 2nd semester.

I realise that I do tend to moan a lot :p, but 2nd year so far is just pretty tedious. Gonna just try grind through to 2nd semester.
    Moan on you are dead right it's a yawn fest
    can't get going at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Anyone else get the email about starting up a Computing Society or was it just 4th years?

Opinicus wrote: »
    Anyone else get the email about starting up a Computing Society or was it just 4th years?

I,m pretty sure it was sent to ALL computing students assuming it's the email from Rob Sheehy. It's an interesting idea.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the one. On the list it only had 4th year names so I wasn't sure if tonight's meeting was only for us. Anyone heading tonight? Could be cool. It's amazing really that there isn't a computing society with the amount of IT courses being run.

Yeah that's the one. On the list it only had 4th year names so I wasn't sure if tonight's meeting was only for us. Anyone heading tonight? Could be cool. It's amazing really that there isn't a computing society with the amount of IT courses being run.

I can,t make it tonight but is definitely something I'd be interested in , hopefully there will be more opportunities

What is it with all these declaration forms? another one today. Fine if you want to participate in the coder dojo programs, but what if you don't? are they planning on making it a requirement now or what are they up to?

Yeah we were given a Garda Vetting Form and told it has to be back by tomorrow. I think a lot more courses have been added to the Vetting List.

Yeah we were given a Garda Vetting Form and told it has to be back by tomorrow. I think a lot more courses have been added to the Vetting List.

I think from now it will be for every student at ITT

But why is the question, all I seem to get when I ask is b$. Then you must get a form stamped by a garda or other which has nothing to do with the actual vetting but basically says they can turf you out if something comes up or you fail to declare something. Also for anyone reading, from what was been said today, I don't think the tralee gardai are stamping anymore of the forms so you must find a solicitor or a peace commissioner now if you want it stamped.
    Seems to be allot of policy changes this year, not to mention that the computing department is now merged with the business department, EDIT: would have been nicer if it was the nursing dept ;).

But why is the question, all I seem to get when I ask is b$. Then you must get a form stamped by a garda or other which has nothing to do with the actual vetting but basically says they can turf you out if something comes up or you fail to declare something. Also for anyone reading, from what was been said today, I don't think the tralee gardai are stamping anymore of the forms so you must find a solicitor or a peace commissioner now if you want it stamped.
    Seems to be allot of policy changes this year, not to mention that the computing department is now merged with the business department, EDIT: would have been nicer if it was the nursing dept ;).

Now I don,t think there would be much computing done in the Nursing/Computing Dept!! The form you need stamped by Gardai etc is just to give them permission to conduct vetting on you , the non-declaration form is if you have come to the attention of the Gardai or had a conviction and not disclosed it they can then turf you out!

I think we are linked with Business&Humanities it's more an administration thing relating to the Munster Technological Institute , eventually it will result in huge change imo but knowing Ireland will move at a snails pace.

Now I don,t think there would be much computing done in the Nursing/Computing Dept!!

Nonsense, we could find ways to help in someway im sure, be creative :D.
    The form you need stamped by Gardai etc is just to give them permission to conduct vetting on you , the non-declaration form is if you have come to the attention of the Gardai or had a conviction and not disclosed it they can then turf you out!

Its the other way around with the forms, you stamp the declaration, you just sign the vetting form, no matter anyway whats done is done, I just enjoy been grumpy about changes like this :D oh yes! everyone must swipe in from Monday on wards, another pain in the arse to have to deal with.

Nonsense, we could find ways to help in someway im sure, be creative :D.

Its the other way around with the forms, you stamp the declaration, you just sign the vetting form, no matter anyway whats done is done, I just enjoy been grumpy about changes like this :D oh yes! everyone must swipe in from Monday on wards, another pain in the arse to have to deal with.

Nothing like a grumpy moment or 2 during the day , we had to swipe last year as well so used to it... Big crackdown on attendance this semester !

• Advertisement

Nothing like a grumpy moment or 2 during the day , we had to swipe last year as well so used to it... Big crackdown on attendance this semester !

That is fine, its just a pain that the computers have to be on to work, why not place them by the door or something or better again have something you could pass around the class room and then upload the info. Its not exactly fool proof either if a chancer walks in and swipes and exits just as quick. Unless of course the lecturer does a head count.

I think im done ranting for the day.

Advertisement