Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The NRA must be stopped

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

w2_3vc wrote: »
    Frank McDonald is the most respected infrastructure correspondant in the Country bar none.

Standard bad debating tactic, claiming that someone you agree with is suddenly the "most respected" or "foremost expert" in a topic.

McDonald's glory days were in the 1970s and 80s. In this decade and the last he is far from respected.

Recently enough, I brought up how he is now opposed to something he proposed himself, in his own late 90s book "The Construction of Dublin" (namely an underground interchange station at Stephens Green). The man can't even keep a consistent viewpoint any more. He isn't respected and he's far from an expert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭w2_3vc

That is a very fair point on Metro North; the estimated costs in 1999 were £1.5bn - £2bn punts.

The current costs are imposible to tell as the RPA refuse to release even 25%+/- figures; but there are estimates at anywhere between €3bn - €5bn.

He does not seem to oppose the principal of connecting Ballymun, Dublin Airport and Swords to the City by rail. He just feels it is a white elephant.

I hope it is a Luas line but in this climate there is no way a project of even €3bn on an exotic funding structure can be signed off.

I'd also say each book he has written has progressively sold more copies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The data mentions Gort; it is issued by the NRA and is one of only 3 sets of data on the route; I've seen shopping centres 100m long with larger data collection sets.
    Where is the link , I know what you wrote unsupported but I told you to link it ???

I have posted all of the traffic data links on multiple occaisions you just don't want to deal with them

Generic link

Gort

Navan North

We are all still waiting for you to point out your concerns on one road scheme; surely if you examined every line of every specification you would have found something worth posting. Clearly on Navan North this has not happened on a number of levels; with an AADT of 8,000 for a motorway; please explain how this represents value for money to the taxpayer. I think unless the NRA can produce advice to Noel Dempsey saying this scheme failed a cost benefit analysis then I think there need to be resignations from the NRA or dismissals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Not sure if this point has been made in the thread yet but in terms of justifying building the M17 to Tuam, some consideration must be given to traffic on the N84. Anyone who has ever driven on the N84 will know that it is a shocking bad road - narrow, bad bends and poor surface.

I have used the N84 in the past when going to Castlebar and other parts of Mayo to avoid getting stuck in heavy traffic in Claregalway and Tuam. There were some people in my class in college from Mayo and they always used the N84 for the sole reason of avoiding Claregalway and Tuam; they all agreed that the N17 is a better quality route but they had no real choice but to use the much inferior N84 because of the traffic.

When the M17 bypasses Claregalway and Tuam then it will become the route of choice for a lot of people who have been avoiding the congested N17 between Galway and Tuam.

• Advertisement

I agree that the N84 is an extremely low spec road; that said the amount of traffic it carries beyond Headford is very light; it is further worth saying that the diversion via Claremorris is also considerably longer so as oil prices continue to march higher the incentive to take anything other than the shortest route dwindles.

My issue on M17 is not that it shouldn't be upgraded but that the spec is higher than it needed to be at some point after the N63 branches off draining up to 10,000 AADT between the Claregalway pinch point and Tuam South to the N63 and various R routes to various clachans.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I agree that the N84 is an extremely low spec road; that said the amount of traffic it carries beyond Headford is very light; it is further worth saying that the diversion via Claremorris is also considerably longer so as oil prices continue to march higher the incentive to take anything other than the shortest route dwindles. .

Your lack of knowledge of driving shines through again

A longer route can be significantly more fuel efficient. Also, even with fuel at 142.9 as I filled up with today, for most people twenty minutes of their time is worth more than a litre of fuel.

But we are not talking about sitting in gridlock; the N84 is the type of road where you drive at 40 - 60 mph; slowing for bends villages and small towns like Headford and Ballinrobe. Those type of speeds are not far off where cars are at their most efficient; as I sure you appreciate flooring a car to 100mph plus is considerably less fuel efficient.

But we are not talking about sitting in gridlock; the N84 is the type of road where you drive at 40 - 60 mph; slowing for bends villages and small towns like Headford and Ballinrobe. Those type of speeds are not far off where cars are at their most efficient; as I sure you appreciate flooring a car to 100mph plus is considerably less fuel efficient.

I know the road in question quite well, thank you very much. I suspect you know it off a map.

For most of the road, 100km/h is impossible, even when clear, due to the surface condition. It can take 20 minutes to clear Ballinrobe at the wrong time of day.

Cars are at their most efficient at a constant speed - something you can acheive on motorways or decent condition suitable capacity national roads. They are at their least efficient in stop start traffic, or going from 60 to 100km/h repeatedly as you seem to think is suitable/acceptable.

With an M17 to Tuam and Tuam bypassed, I'd see no reason not to detrunk the N84.

The reason you wouldn't is that it is also the main route from Westport to Galway.

I think the use of the word repeatedly is a bit strong on this route; its poor but its not exactly a series of hairpin bends.

• Advertisement

The reason you wouldn't is that it is also the main route from Westport to Galway.

Its the route from Castlebar to Galway, Westport traffic having to come to Castlebar first. If a better route for Castlebar to Galway exists, it should be detrunked. Westport's existence is an irrelevance.

Not on any map; but the road splits at Partry across a bog into Westport; exactly 50 miles from Eyre Square. You can cite Westport being an irrelevance but the town has a much higher population that anything on the N17 between Galway and Sligo and that includes Tuam.

That is Gort south , you explicitly said that was the traffic for Gort North ....which is completely wrong in the real world but very accurate by An Taisce or Irish Times standards.
    Clearly on Navan North this has not happened on a number of levels; with an AADT of 8,000 for a motorway; please explain how this represents value for money to the taxpayer. I think unless the RPA can produce advice to Noel Dempsey saying this scheme failed a cost benefit analysis then I think there need to be resignations from the RPA or dismissals.
    What is this babble, the RPA has nothing to do with cost benefit analysis of motorways or advising Dempsey on motorways...no matter what An Taisce and the eco loolaas believe. How dare you suggest that RPA staff be dismissed for something they never did and had no hand act or part in. :(

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That is Gort south , you explicitly said that was the traffic for Gort North ....which is completely wrong in the real world but very accurate by An Taisce or Irish Times standards.

What is this babble, the NRA has nothing to do with cost benefit analysis of motorways or advising Dempsey on motorways...no matter what An Taisce and the eco loolaas believe.

Where on that page is the word South?

Gort

That you are still on this board proves there is no moderation whatsoever; you have no point to make other than attack others that aren't hear to defend themselves.

The RPA do advise the minister on the figures underpinning road schemes; are you saying ministers just make up the data themselves? Who was the genuis that recommended a motoway at 8,000 AADT and cost the taxpayer money when the minimum projected toll numbers didn't materialise at the other end of the same motorway. The Loolaas as you so elequently put it if their viewpoint was taken; could have saved the taxpayer a lot of money on that specific road; a road that clearly was not required.

can cite Westport being an irrelevance but the town has a much higher population that anything on the N17 between Galway and Sligo and that includes Tuam.

It is irrelevance because the N road routing from there to Galway involves going to the terminus of the N road in question. Its irrelevance has NOTHING to do with its size.

The RPA do advise the minister on the figures underpinning road schemes

Could you please direct me to wherever you're getting your drugs from, cause the supplier seems excellent.

It is south of Gort, Anto told you as much a few days back when you were quoting south of Gort figures as an argument against a road north of Gort. Not that facts ever impinge overly on planet An Taisce from what I see :(

But I do insist you withdraw your false allegation against the staff of the RPA and apologise for it, it was most unseemly ...and plain wrong.

You still have not said where on the page the word South is. No disrespect to Anto he seems like a proper Galwegian; but data is data and the data doesn't use any compass point.

I have no recollection of arguing against a road north of Gort to the M6; I look forward to seeing you post where I did argue against it.

The RPA entered were party to a contract on M3 which contained minimum traffic levels did not materialise upon exposing the taxpayer. If the RPA don't advise on scoping and overseeing the scope and design of roads then what is their function? Other than buying land for schemes they don't have funds to build?

MYOB wrote: »
    It is irrelevance because the N road routing from there to Galway involves going to the terminus of the N road in question. Its irrelevance has NOTHING to do with its size..

The status of the road has everything to do with getting funding in the current climate; make no mistake the non-national roads budget will get hit much harder than the national roads budget as austerity bites; downgrade of a road just like a sovereign means getting funding is a lot more difficult.

MYOB wrote: »
    Could you please direct me to wherever you're getting your drugs from, cause the supplier seems excellent.

Should have read NRA; all references now corrected.

Take it that both Anto and I know the traffic counter is south of Gort, you then used the data as an argument in this here post.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69822533&postcount=163
    The inter urban on this is a lot less than 10,000 if total AADT North of Gort is at 11,000.

Now can we go back to the interesting bit which is that Frank McDonald has uncritically quoted the eco loonies as saying that land is to be purchased for roads that basically will not be built. This on a quiet news day I do agree.
    a coalition formed by An Taisce, Friends of the Earth, Feasta and Friends of the Irish Environment, said 22,000 acres of agricultural land could be purchased over the next four years for “ghost roads”.

and then
    every kilometre of motorway removing 25 to 30 acres of land from agriculture, the road building authority gambles that a future government can be browbeaten into building around 800km of motorway after it has bought some 22,000 acres of land,

Nobody is proposing to build 800km of Motorway in Ireland, not today ...not in this decade, or indeed as long as I live.

The NRA is not proposing to stack a land take of 22,000 acres into their system in order to persuade the Dept of Finance to disburse funds thereafter to build 800km of Motorway on it.

The bulk of the motorway network is now built and perhaps 300-400km could justifiably be built in future...that only in extremis. No more than 150km-200km of Motorway grade road is proposed under live projects today ( excepting the A5 up North)

With a quality piece of journalism of that calibre to kick things off it is no wonder that this thread just kept on giving.

But as the holidays are over and April the 1st is some months away I would like to get back to serious discussion support by facts if you don't mind awfully.

And you still have not apologised to the RPA staff for that outrageous slur.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

And there was I thinking the RPA was the state agency responsible for ensuring the provision of light rail and metro infrastructure.

How embarrassing! :o

• Advertisement

Typewriter wrote: »
    And there was I thinking the RPA was the state agency responsible for ensuring the provision of light rail and metro infrastructure.

How embarrassing! :o

Thanks typewriter I wrote that 2 pages ago.

NRA for now until they are merged the the Railway Procurement Agency; RRPA may be an apt title; Road,Rail Procurement Agency
    Take it that both Anto and I know the traffic counter is south of Gort, you then used the data as an argument in this here post.

I made two comments on the overall project in that post and clarified my opinion below:
    At a cost of €500m in a much cheaper construction environment this is far from a cheap road. The Tuam section may be 2 & 2; the reality is that a lot more of the route should have been 2 & 2.

Where does that say that I thought the M18 should not have been built from any point South of the M6?
    every kilometre of motorway removing 25 to 30 acres of land from agriculture, the road building authority gambles that a future government can be browbeaten into building around 800km of motorway after it has bought some 22,000 acres of land,

If you build there entire Atlantic Corridor from Tuam to Letterkenny that would be at least 300kms and that has been discussed on numerous forums; N2 to Monaghan another 100 kms; Gorey to Waterford 80kms, Midleton to Rosslare 130kms? Rathkeale to Castlelisland ? Killarney to Ballyvourney? If you trawled every TDs website you'd probably get commitments to 1,200 kms.

And you still have not apologised to the RPA staff for that outrageous slur.
    I have removed the typos and put the NRA in; they do have some explaining to; again their advice on the M3 might just have been ignored; but unless they made it clear and were over-ruled by a minister keen to deliver a white elephant to his own patch then they have a lot of explaining to do; the M3 should never have been built with the M2 draining most of the commuter hinterland of South Meath on a free gratis basis.

If you build there entire Atlantic Corridor from Tuam to Letterkenny that would be at least 300kms and that has been discussed on numerous forums; N2 to Monaghan another 100 kms; Gorey to Waterford 80kms, Midleton to Rosslare 130kms? Rathkeale to Castlelisland ? Killarney to Ballyvourney?
    None of this is to be built to Motorway standard bar maybe 20km near Sligo. That is none ...as in NONE ....as in zip. Much of what you describe as Motorway will even be built as standard single. EG around Ballyvourney.

Standard Single not = Wide single....don't even try to go there :D

All of this hysteria over nothing. Me, I blame the Irish Times for listening to the eco nutjobs when a calculator and 5 minutes usage thereof would have proven they were screming hysterically over nothing :(

None of this is to be built to Motorway standard bar maybe 20km near Sligo. That is none ...as in NONE ....as in zip. Much of what you describe as Motorway will even be built as standard single. EG around Ballyvourney.

Standard Single not = Wide single....don't even try to go there :D

All of this hysteria over nothing. Me, I blame the Irish Times for listening to the eco nutjobs when a calculator and 5 minutes usage thereof would have proven they were screming hysterically over nothing :(

The primary claims in the article were the tolls shortfall and the purchase of land for schemes that they didn't have funding for including the scheme below;

N30 Clonroche (Templescoby) to New Ross

Local Authority:Wexford County CouncilStart County:WexfordEnd County:WexfordDescription:13.5 km realignment of the existing N30 between Moneytucker and the New Ross Bypass incorporating a bypass of Clonroche.

This project has been funded by the Irish Government under the National Development Plan and Transport 21.

Mainline Length (km):13.5 kmCurrent Project Phase:Preliminary Design

A spokesman for the NRA said it had “no comment” to make on Plan Better’s claim.

They could do themselves a favour by setting out exactly what they are doing; if they don't stand to incur a shortfall then FmD is clearly exposed; if they are not purchasing land ahead of funding then they have nothing to hide. There is no way the future NRA motorway / type 2 DC programme beyond currently contracted schemes is a mere 20 kms; they have their sights set on significantly more; clearly there is a large staff there which has been built up whilst the main network was delivered; it will be hard for them to scale down to fit the lower requirement and tight fiscal position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

You still have not said where on the page the word South is. No disrespect to Anto he seems like a proper Galwegian; but data is data and the data doesn't use any compass point.

I have no recollection of arguing against a road north of Gort to the M6; I look forward to seeing you post where I did argue against it.

The RPA entered were party to a contract on M3 which contained minimum traffic levels did not materialise upon exposing the taxpayer. If the RPA don't advise on scoping and overseeing the scope and design of roads then what is their function? Other than buying land for schemes they don't have funds to build?

Scroll down to the N18 counter for Gort on this page and you will see the following:
    N18 6km south of Gort (IG: 145352E 196899N)

You can also view traffic counter locations on this map.

The Gort one is to the South of the town. It wouldn't even take Gort-Galway commuter traffic into account; nevermind the commuter traffic from all the other towns/villages between Gort and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I have posted all of the traffic data links on multiple occaisions you just don't want to deal with them

Generic link

Gort

Navan North

We are all still waiting for you to point out your concerns on one road scheme; surely if you examined every line of every specification you would have found something worth posting. Clearly on Navan North this has not happened on a number of levels; with an AADT of 8,000 for a motorway; please explain how this represents value for money to the taxpayer. I think unless the NRA can produce advice to Noel Dempsey saying this scheme failed a cost benefit analysis then I think there need to be resignations from the NRA or dismissals.
    It is south of Gort, Anto told you as much a few days back when you were quoting south of Gort figures as an argument against a road north of Gort. Not that facts ever impinge overly on planet An Taisce from what I see :(

But I do insist you withdraw your false allegation against the staff of the RPA and apologise for it, it was most unseemly ...and plain wrong.
    If you would kindly take a look at the page that you have linked yourself, marked "Generic link" and take a look at the details there please you'll see something that looks very like this:n17-18_route_counters.png (relevant location highlighted).

so please stop being condescending and learn how to read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Cress

Hello again, Roads friends.

If motorway construction is being queried in the media, do people around here just stick their head in the sand or what?

Discuss!!:

THE €36 million cut in funding to maintain local and regional roads announced last week has been condemned by PlanBetter, which described it as “the other side of the coin of excessive motorway construction”.

PlanBetter said Ireland had 2½ times more motorway per person than Britain. “Yet plans by the National Roads Authority to build another 800km of motorway have still not been officially shelved,” it said.

“Over the next three years more than €275 million will have to be found to make further motorway repayments, even as traffic on them falls, and this burden will result in further cuts in budgets to fill potholes and resurface local and regional roads.”

It said removing accident blackspots saved far more lives, per euro invested, than motorway building. “The Department of Transport and the NRA are perfectly well aware of this, but seem engaged in delusion while the wrongful allocation of taxpayer funds persists.”

The outgoing government used the four-year plan to falsely claim that every Transport 21 project was still viable. The incoming government needs to be honest, and openly acknowledge that long sections of motorway are as unnecessary as they are unaffordable.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0207/1224289182717.html

If you are going to post a news article don't just post the sound bites.

THE €36 million cut in funding to maintain local and regional roads announced last week has been condemned by PlanBetter, which described it as “the other side of the coin of excessive motorway construction”.

This joint initiative by An Taisce, Friends of the Earth, Friends of the Irish Environment and Feasta noted that the cut represented nearly one-third of an estimated €105 million needed this year to service borrowings on “unnecessary” motorways.

“The recent announcement maintained a 14 per cent cut in the low-cost safety improvement programme, which is used to remove accident blackspots on dangerous roads all around the country and stands at a paltry €6 million a year.” PlanBetter said Ireland had 2½ times more motorway per person than Britain. “Yet plans by the National Roads Authority to build another 800km of motorway have still not been officially shelved,” it said.

“Traffic is 20 to 30 per cent below the level projected by the NRA on some new motorways, including the M3 via Tara.

On top of loan repayments, taxpayers are also paying penalty fees to make up for less-than-expected revenue at the M3 toll booths, the group said.

“Over the next three years more than €275 million will have to be found to make further motorway repayments, even as traffic on them falls, and this burden will result in further cuts in budgets to fill potholes and resurface local and regional roads.”

PlanBetter noted that half of the Republic’s road network scored the lowest possible safety rating by the European Road Assessment Programme, compared to only 5 per cent of Northern Ireland’s network and just 2 per cent of roads in Britain.

It said removing accident blackspots saved far more lives, per euro invested, than motorway building. “The Department of Transport and the NRA are perfectly well aware of this, but seem engaged in delusion while the wrongful allocation of taxpayer funds persists.” Fred Barry, the road authority’s chief executive, recently told the Oireachtas Committee on Transport that many existing roads do “not come close to meeting current design and construction standards” while others “were never properly designed in the first place”.

Yet PlanBetter said over €1.7 million was “misspent” planning a 28km dual carriageway in Co Wexford between Oilgate and Rosslare. “More than 20 accident blackspots across the country could have been eliminated with this money,” it claimed. Instead of planning new motorways, which then “turn into subsidised toll roads”, it said a new approach was needed by the next government.

“Dedicated bypasses with selected enhancements along existing routes are what’s required. The outgoing government used the four-year plan to falsely claim that every Transport 21 project was still viable. The incoming government needs to be honest, and openly acknowledge that long sections of motorway are as unnecessary as they are unaffordable.”

Forgot to add, once i saw An taisce & 2 hippy groups were involved I stopped reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Cress wrote: »
    Hello again, Roads friends.

If motorway construction is being queried in the media, do people around here just stick their head in the sand or what?

Discuss!!:

I'll take issue with this:
    “Yet plans by the National Roads Authority to build another 800km of motorway have still not been officially shelved,” it said.

Where are Planbetter getting the 800km figure from? Could it be that they just made it up?

BTW, Cress, it would be nice if you contributed more actively in your own thread. If you don't contribute actively, it looks rather like you're just stirring or mischief-making to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Also, most of the road deaths occur on N roads scheduled for upgrade, not R-roads. A toddler killed last week on the N20 for instance, due to be replaced by the M20. What a pointless waste of money on removing that blackspot, eh (the blackspot in question being the entire N20)?

N72 claimed another life over the weekend: it cannot be upgraded online; I say a new build is really required, but the NRA have no plans for this admittedly.

The N28 - another accident blackspot. NRA solution: build a new, safe, 13km dual carriageway. The current N28 cannot be upgraded satisfactorily, so a new build is necessary.

N24: one of the most consistently deadly roads in the country. If PlanBetter want to reduce fatalities on the N24, get behind the NRA's plan for a new offline type 2 dc N24. Ditto N17.

Otherwise stop talking out of both sides of your mouths.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement